PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 12:35 PM   #16  

I was diagnosed this year in Feb at 33. I suffer from irregular periods, hair loss, skin tags, IR, infertility, acne, weight gain and I'm sure there are more but I can't think right now After trying Glucophage for 6 months and suffering horrendously, my doc (with strong urgings from me) switched me over to Actos 30mg now and blissfully side effect free. Changed my diet to Atkins to even out my LH levels and lowered my triglycerides. Active everyday, that with Actos and LCing I have lost 12 pounds and 4 inches off my mid. My doc even gave me a compliment on how thin I was looking! Hair loss has slowed, skin tags are falling off, periods are regulating and are non medicated now, ovulated on my own and LH levels are normalizing. Acne still an issue but incidences are decreasing.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:07 AM   #17  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default pcos

1.what age, and when I was diagnosed....I was 19 when diagnosed, and Im now 37

2.what symptoms?....polycystic ovaries, (had infertility) one child after 7 years of trying....hirutism, and scary weight gain after daughter was born (100+ lbs within 11 months), skin tags and discolouration

3.Medication im taking....only Diane 35

4.Have you lost a sign. amount of weight and seen changes in symptoms. ......Ive taken all the extra off that i put on after the birth of my daughter, however I still have a very long way to go. I added the + after the 100 because I dont really know what i gained, the scale didnt go that high. But doing the low carb woe, has helped tremendously, as well as keeping very active. If i dont keep moving the pounds sneak back on. Ive noticed alot less hair on my chin. However keeping the weight from creeping on is a daily battle.

I have a question, Hopeful Spirits, you mentioned your boobs straightening out? What did you mean?
Someone also mentioned discolouration, I have it in the normal places, but im also noticing it on my lower belly and breasts. Im also having alot of trouble with skin irritation the last 8+ months, Ive never heard of this being a symptom of pcos, but some of the girls alluded to this in a few threads. Any help out there about this?
Robin
Old 10-12-2002, 01:09 PM   #18  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Discoloration is called "Acanthosis Nigricans" This is common in PCOSers and diabetics due to the IR.

There is also another think you may be dealing with. Malasma. This is caused by birth, birthcontol pills or significant/rapid hormonal changes (other then PCOS).
Old 10-12-2002, 07:41 PM   #19  
Lovin' Life

Default malasma

Thankyou HS, Im on my way to search this out, Ive never heard of it before.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:53 PM   #20  

Default Generic vs. Glucophage

This is for anyone who may have info:

Do you think there is a difference between the generic and glucophage. My insurance now only wants to pay full for generic now. I've never taken it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:15 PM   #21  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

You may be able to get GlucXR because it only comes in name brand. Since there is no alternative, they usually cover the name.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:55 PM   #22  

Robin, I have the Acanthosis. Most folks have it around their necks I think, dark discoloration sometimes thick and patchy. It's very, very mild around my neck - it just looks like it's starting to get textured.

My problem is my stomach, back and under my breasts. Even the stretch marks I have and am getting from losing weight are very thick and red like welts.

What happens is excess insulin is excreted through folds in the skin like around the neck, underarms, other types of folds in the skin.

CD
Old 10-17-2002, 05:56 PM   #23  

1)What is your age and when were you diagnosed?

I am 29. I was diagnosed at 27, after two and half years of mulitple ovarian cysts. I did not start my period until I was fifteen and had about three years of irregular, painful periods. I had my daughter at nineteen and got a Norplant shortly after. I gained eighty five pounds and coincidentally started suffering from ovarain cysts just a year and half after having it removed. My body has not been the same since. My doctor said the late start and irregular periods are normal with PCOS......though I was obviously able to get pregnant. I don't know if I am infertile becaus DH and I decided to not have anymore children a long time ago and he had a vasectomy.

2)What are your symptoms?

Untreated, my symptoms include: acne, unwanted hair growth, weight gain, ovarian pain, hypoglycemia, irritability, depression, sleep disorders, moodiness.

3)What meds are you taking, doses and for what symptoms?

I control my symptoms with weight loss and diet. I am medication free now.

4)Have you lost a significant amount of weight and seen any changes in your symptoms?

I have seen a 100 pound weight loss first with a low fat diet and then with a low carb diet. It suppresses all of my symptoms. They only occur during my TOM and not always. I still have to pluck hair from my face daily, but it is limited to about four or five hairs. It is easy to control. The hair on my head does fall out, but I have thick hair so I don't worry about it. I do have some discoloration under my arms and inside my thighs. I have very pale skin, so it isn't as noticeable. Basically it just doesn't bother me.

Chelle
Old 10-17-2002, 11:53 PM   #24  
Lovin' Life

Default time to loose the folds then

Thankyou CreativeDame.....its only been recently that the discolouration has gotten worse. Its starts with an itch, and of course im prone to eczema so Im really good at scratching...its almost as if its left a scar. Dark patches. When you mentioned your neck I remembered mine, but it is so light that I had forgotten about it.

I dont suppose there is anything we can do about it?

Robin
Old 10-18-2002, 12:10 PM   #25  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Sounds more like Malasma as I stated above. AN normally doesnt fluctuate like that just because. It will with changes in diets though. There is treatment for Malasma if thats what it is. I BELIEVE Malasma is itchy at times as well. My friend who has it complains of a light itch sometimes when it flares up.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:44 PM   #26  
WW Moderator

Most Melasma is in sun exposed areas. If you aren't sure what it is, I would see a Dermatologist and let him/her tell you. If it is Melasma, you can get some creams to fade it.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:58 PM   #27  
tnw

Hi,
I'm new, my name is Tanya.

1)I am 27 and newly diagnosed this month.

2)My symptoms so far, are: depression, mood swings (says my hubby !), Overweight, unexplained weight gain, hair loss, excess facial hair, darkened skin patches (acanthosis nigricans), skin tags, and High Cholesterol....Whew!

3)I just started taking Yasmin this month, and Zocor for cholesterol. I see an endocrinologist in November, I am hoping to get better treatments from him.

4) I have lost zilch so far, but I have stopped gaining!

I have been following the 3FC website off and on for about 2 years now, and I first learned about PCOS here. I am hoping to find out more about PCOS and treatments for it.

Old 10-21-2002, 11:36 PM   #28  
WW Moderator

Hi tnw! Good luck on getting some good treatment from your Endo. Nice to see the weight gain has leveled off. That was a breath of fresh air for me also!
Old 11-10-2002, 12:32 AM   #29  

Hi,
I'm new here myself. I have been discovering through the internet how common PCOS really is. Nice to know I'm not totally abnormal. I'm 45 diagnosed when I was 30, when in reality I've been pcos since puberty... which was very late. have the weight problem, skin tags, facial hair, and some skin discoloration. Was told I was Type II diabetic 6 yrs ago, take metformin and glyburid. The metformin has helped with the cycle a lot. The weight loss has been a problem though. Reading about these low carb diets has got me thinking and I'm going to talk to the new dietation in a couple of weeks. Hoping she'll be able to help me set up something that will work.

Last edited by mary_maid; 11-10-2002 at 12:35 AM.
Closed Thread