General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #1  

Default Dieting with high-normal blood sugar

I've never given my blood sugar a second thought until I had a health assessment physical a few weeks ago. Everything was good, but my blood sugar surprised me! It came in as 99 fasting. I didn't know I was supposed to fast, so I did eat popcorn before bed the night before and have hot chocolate that morning, so it may be slightly higher than normal. But still! That's so high!

I'm around 30 pounds over what's normal for me, due to pregnancy weight, so that could also be impacting it. I'd been eating well in the weeks leading up to the assessment, which worries me. If i'd been eating badly, I'd be less worried.

What can I do in addition to eating right and exercising to lower fasting blood sugar? Should I be concerned? Should I lower my carbs? I'm currently a calorie counter, trying to lose 30 lbs :-)
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Umm... if you had hot chocolate the morning before, I think that would've elevated it. I don't think you could say that you have highish blood sugar.

I have low blood sugar myself and I eat lots of carbs but I limit refined carbs and added sugar.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yes, I'm thinking that that test result is indicative of nothing but hot chocolate for breakfast

If you are truly worried about blood sugar fluctuations you might want to do some reading about the glycemic index and set up an appointment for more accurate testing.

Keep in touch will you?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #4  

Thanks so much :-) I was worried because my dad has diabetes. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, but I won't be too concerned yet :-)
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Another thought is to buy a glucose meter & strips and test it yourself frequently. I am not diabetic, but that's what I do because diabetes runs in my family. The meters are not very expensive and I think well worth it.

My blood sugar actually goes down in the morning when I eat something, probably because insulin is stimulated by the eating driving the blood sugar down.

Last edited by CJZee; 03-10-2010 at 06:29 PM.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote