Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Talking This IS going to work for me! Passed up fried potatoes tonight! :)

Made fried hashbrowns for DH tonight along with the chicken and raw veggies I had for myself. Now, that's a big binge food for me. I wanted to see if this way of eating would be able to keep my previous cravings under control or not.

Sure enough, it works! I didn't crave the potatoes one bit! I didn't have to use any willpower (which I don't have much of) because I was happy with the chicken and veggies and didn't crave the potatoes at all!

The longer I am staying away from simple carbs, the more my appetite is getting under control and my cravings are going away.

I can do this! This way of eating is going to work for me! Woo hoo!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #2  

thats a true test and you passed! we have some snacks here for my daughter that would absolutely kill my diet! I passed up some cinnamon rolls I baked for my daughter this weekend and also pizza! I feel so good on low carb that I don't even wanna eat that stuff!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #3  

Thanks, LeslieLou! And woo hoo to you for passing the test with the cinnamon buns, which are a huge temptation (they are for me anyhow!) That's amazing!

I never was successful for long at any other diet. By day two or three of any other diet, I was dying, starving, couldn't think of anything but food. So it wasn't sustainable for me. It felt like horrible punishment.

This diet feels like a prize instead of punishment, because I feel so much better on it in so many ways. And I'm not starving, not one bit! I don't have those insane cravings that I used to have, I don't have that voice in my head saying, "you have to have sugar/flour/potatoes/rice now now now now now, more more more more more!" That kind of "crack addict" voice, you know, the one you MUST obey, LOL?

I swear, I was truly a carb addict. Simple carbs are my poison. I can either be well, or I can eat the simple carbs. The choice is that simple. I choose to be well. Because, on this diet, the carbs don't even look that good, to be honest.

Thank you, thank you, Dr. Atkins!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

OOPS--I am not a carb counter. I think squash may not be on your list!

Healthier, OMG I love me some fried taters. Lord knows I do!

I wanted to tell you that I have found a great alternative. You may already know about it. I cook it similar to taters. I peel and then grate butternut squash and sautee' it with salt, pepper, non-fat butter spray and onion. Serious YUM! If you try it, be sure to refrigerate your squash first--it makes grating easier.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 01-21-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #5  

That sounds, delicious, thighsbegone! I will remember that one! Thank you so much!

You know, I've noticed, when I look in the other sections and everything, maybe it's just my perceptions because I'm a big fan of low-carbing now, but it seems like the low-carbers on the whole have more diet success or an easier time of it. Like there are fewer posts in this section than other places about blowing it or falling off the wagon and stuff.

I can't help but want to tell everyone, "try this one! Really it works!" but I don't want to be obnoxious so I will refrain. But I will tell people I'm a low carber if they ask, and I'll identify myself on these boards as a low-carber.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #6  

I have tried other diets too and counted calories, etc but yeah...carbs are my downfall to weight loss. Carbs make me sleepy and sluggish. I don't feel that way now. Before I know it, it is 10:00 on a week night and I'm like wow...I probably should go to bed! hahaha ! before...I was ready at 8:00 but wouldn't go that early....still could have though. I love having my bacon and eggs in the morning and not feeling guilty! Bacon is better than fried potatoes any day! Yeah I know how you feel about wanting everyone to feel as good as you do and just tell them to do low carb!!!!! Most people dont think they can do it and sustain it but then they are probably carb addicts like I was. I didn't wanna give up my carbs to lose weight. Ok ...yeah we still have carbs on this but not like a low-fat diet. I think that I will have long-term success at this because I never feel hungry or deprived. Now, that I have more information on this WOE than before when I did it and have many more recipes! lets keep the low-carbing going!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I think there are a lot of people out there that believe all the untruth's concerning low carb....particularly Atkins. It's unhealthy, its restrictive, it causes high cholesterol....I'm sure you've heard all these comments & more. I will never forget, I was sitting at my desk at work, eating my lunch (a large salad with grilled chicken) and a customer came in and said "Wow! you've lost a lot of weight!...what are you doing?" I responded "Atkins". With the most shocked look on her face, she said "Atkins???..I didn't think you could eat veggies or salads on Atkins" This is unfortunately how these untruths are born. I was very overweight the majority of my life and had tried many diets, for me Atkins was the answer to my prayers. Its been almost 6 years now....I think I'll stick with it
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #8  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I think there are a lot of people out there that believe all the untruth's concerning low carb....particularly Atkins. It's unhealthy, its restrictive, it causes high cholesterol....
My sister is going to do Atkins with me, and I had to talk her down from the 'no vegetables' myth. Her husband used to do Atkins, even! (Though he probably used it as an excuse to eat a lot of bacon, he did lose substantial weight several years ago on the plan.)

I checked out a copy of the book for her, so now she knows better, but yes. There are definitely misconceptions out there. I've been resisting because I just didn't *want* to give up my carbs (mostly morning oatmeal) but I'm ready now. I want to reach my goal more than I want to eat oatmeal for breakfast, and I'm tired of falling prey to my carb cravings around TOM. If Atkins can help me get a handle on that, I'm all for it.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #9  

I want to also mention that there are scads of ladies on this board that may not be carb counters or identify themselves as such but greatly watch carbs of all kinds. I fall under that category. There have been many discussions on the boards about how not all calories are created equal. Two 100-calorie snack packs aren't the same as 200 calories of fish and broccolli. Not only is the obvious more filliing, my body reacts differently to these items.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #10  

Thanks, thighsbegone! I feel like there are some calories that make me feel awful (depressed, no energy, hungry) and other that make me feel good (good mood, good energy, no unreasonable hunger) and I'm saying to myself, okay, I'm sticking with the calories that make me feel good! I'm kind of hoping it will help me reach my goal weight, but even if it doesn't work like I'd hoped, I'm still going to eat like this because I like feeling good instead of feeling bad. Sounds like there have been a lot of people who have figured out what makes them feel good versus bad, and are eating with that information in mind!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #11  

Thistoo, best of luck on your journey to the happiest and healthiest you, and I wish you and your sister good health and good luck. I know you will both make it! I look forward to seeing your posts in the future and following your progress!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #12  

Although I do label myself a calorie counter I have discovered that foods rating on the Glycemic Index are the greatest indicator of what works for me--lower GI foods being my "ticket." I assume that most of what you are eating would also fall under lower GI foods.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 227/217/150

Height: 5'8"

I agree with feeling like carbs are my downfall. My sweet tooth craving always got the best of me. Doing this diet my cravings are gone and my appetite is almost non existent. Although I have only lost 10 in 2 1/2 weeks and was hoping for 13 by now, I think it is giving me motivation to kick it into high gear exercise wise and hopefully I will get back on track.
MamaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #14  

Congratulations, MamaT! Ten pounds in 2 1/2 weeks - that's incredible! I mean, honestly, that's really very very rapid weight loss! And isn't it a good feeling not to have those cravings anymore?

I'm so happy for you that you are going to start exercising. I just got the Atkins books yesterday and have been devouring them, and I noticed he said that exercise is just as important as the diet part. So you are really doing the right things! I just know you will reach your goal, and I look forward to reading your posts celebrating each milestone achieved!

P.S. I read somewhere on this board that a really typical pattern is of a weight loss the first two weeks or so, then a stall of anywhere from a week or two to a month. During that time, the body is still burning fat, but it's also putting water back in that it lost those first two weeks. The body is kind of adjusting to the new way of eating. Please don't be discouraged when that happens - remember your body is still burning fat and getting healthier, and the pounds will start dropping again when you finish that stall period!

Last edited by HealthierLori; 01-24-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Lori, I like to do what you did -- cook the carb-laden foods for my husband & stepson & watch in wonder as I am tickled pink that I don't miss them!

I have to be careful & make sure I have the low carb foods I like available, but I make cookies, desserts, muffins & all kinds of side dishes for them. I often forget to buy them bread & other starches because I'm focused on the low carb sides for myself, but it's really nice when I can enjoy my food & have things that used to tempt me on the table without having ANY desire for them.

It's like a game I'm playing with myself -- fun!
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote