Does it Work? - Slim Fast?

View Full Version : Slim Fast?

Trix4u
10-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Does it work? Anyone have any luck with it?:carrot:

beerab
10-15-2009, 02:12 PM
I tried it- didn't really like it. I'd rather eat real food than drink shakes- after a while I just got sick of them.

ICUwishing
10-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Been there, did that - it's all fake sweetener and chemicals - and booorrrrringggg. Ditto beerab - real food is much better for the long haul - taste, variety, satisfying, eye-catching, good-smelling whole foods. :)

DivineFidelity
10-15-2009, 02:33 PM
I use the shakes for breakfast. I do WW at home, and one of the shakes is 3 points. It makes a good breakfast when you're on the go. =D

KDuffer
10-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Cheaper to buy some protein powder and make your own shakes in a blender. I usually just mix milk, ice and one scoop post workout. Don't see why you couldn't do that as a meal replacement, especially if you throw in some fruit.

whip1
10-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I agree a good heathy breakfast is best but when I was working I didn't have time so I used the vanilla shakes for a fast breakfast and I did lose 76 lbs with a shake for B and a healthy L and D and lots of exercise.

kuhrisuh
10-15-2009, 05:50 PM
I did slim fast for about 6 months.. I actually liked it, and ended up losing about 50 lbs. Gained it back as soon as I went off the diet. I also didn't eat much the entire time.. way less than what they recommended. So I don't know that it was a good deal for me. I'd say it just depends on the person.. just know that you've gotta watch out or the weight will alllll come back :/!

Jacquie668
10-15-2009, 05:52 PM
I remember my mom, years ago, loved Slim Fast. *shudders* I still remember the powdery shakes. The smell lol. I'm sure it has improved since then lol.

The thing is my mom did Slim Fast, never exercised, and she would regain all her weight. Over and over again. The one thing I remember vividly was her drinking the strawberry flavor and it looked like...powdery milky ew. lol.

I'm sure now it tastes better and I believe they have those cans or whatever you can get. I guess for me, I just do a smoothie, but I could see if I were on the go an didn't have time that something like that would be ideal.

getfitchicks
10-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I love it - I find that it satisfys my choclate cravings (I only like the Chocolate Royale flavour) as well which is a bonus. I have them for lunch with a salad (and regular snacks throughout the day) and have "real" food for breakfast and dinner.

That said - I get mine in Canada where the recipe is different - it's 256 calories. I was recently in the States where I saw that they were only 190 Calories so decided to give them a try - I did not like the flavour AT all. Could barely stomach it. I also tried the Kellogs shakes (170 Calories) and the Target generic brand shake (also 170 Calories) and found both to be better but of the 3 the kellogs was my favourite.

rockinrobin
10-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Well it would work if one could/would stick with it. But realistically, how long could someone stick to this for? And if they stay on it long enough to get to goal, well then what? What have they learned that's going to ensure that they KEEP the weight off?

I personally like to chew my calories, not drink them. I also need high volume foods. So for me I wouldn't be WILLING (or able?) to stick with this method.

I chose/choose to count calories. Combining that counting with eating voluminous, highly nutritious SATIATING foods. I was willing to stick with this, for over 3 years in fact (& plan to forever and ever) and it's been"working" just fine.

Using it as an occasional meal replacement for a quick meal (like's been mentioned) is another story, I suppose.

We're all different though.....

mateosmama2005
10-15-2009, 06:19 PM
I love slim fast been drinking it on and off for 6 years. I only like the powder french vanilla flavor. The already made stuff in a can is grosse!! But it is good!!!!!

kellost
10-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't really like the shakes, but I do like the chocolate chip meal replacement bars by Slimfast. I keep one in my purse in case I ever get stuck and need a meal on the go. Usually it's lunchtime when I'm out and about and can't sit down for a meal, so I keep one around just in case.

rosemarie0007
10-15-2009, 07:42 PM
I like the cappuccino flavor, yum. The only thing is they just aren't satisfying, and I end up using them as a snack when I probably should just drink water, and eat some healthy food, I did at one time lose 15 pounds on the diet, but I was much younger and if I remember correctly I got nauseous, and eventually gained it back, so I would say have a shake and supplement it with something,
And I would do that for maybe one meal, if you do both breakfast and lunch, you are going to be starving!

FitGirlyGirl
10-15-2009, 08:46 PM
It is not a good idea to be on the slim fast plan. Even if it works, you will gain it all back. Any doctor you ask will tell you it's not healthy. Real food is healthier and more likely to give you long term results.

That said, I do use them sometimes as a way of getting in some extra calories on days I have not had enough, but am stuffed. Liquid is easier to get down. I also occasionally use them as a smoothie base. I also see nothing wrong with using them as an occasional meal replacement. I have not needed to since I have been working on my weight, but if for some reason I did need to I would have no issues with it.

losermom
10-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Personally, I love Slimfast for breakfast! It's quick, easy and tasty. I am sometimes not very hungry for breakfast but know I need something in my tummy. I never have it for any other meal though, it would not be enough. I need real food for lunch, dinner and snacks.

Jldsgirl
10-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I usually have a shake for breakfast since i am not hungry in the mornings. I find them quite satisfying, and like a previous poster said, they seem to help w/ my chocolate cravings

AlexxusMich2
11-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Hey, I tried slimfast and it worked for me back when i needed to slim down for a PT test in the military. I gained it all back, not bc slimfast didnt work but bc i didnt make it a lifestyle change. Im actually going to start back on slimfast just to jump start my weightloss and get me back into the swing of things. As for making your own meal replacement with a protein shake... just make sure it has all the nutrients that you will get in a meal. Usually protein shakes are to supplement protein... there is a big difference between a protein shake and a meal replacement. I say try it. All the testimonials are definitely motivation but they are also other people's reality and not your own. Create your own reality... Im going to do slimfast and believe me it will work.. as long as you stay with in the correct amount of calories you need a day and exercise then you will do fine after slimfast. It works but the only YOU will believe it works is if YOU try it and it works for YOU.... hope this helps

psychologymama
11-28-2009, 11:04 PM
The Cappucino flavored drink is awesome for breakfast. I feel like I am having a starbucks frap! I love it.

Shopaholic1204
11-30-2009, 10:30 AM
My mom made me drink nothing but Slimfast the week before my wedding. Only because at my last dress fitting..my dress didnt fit. She accused me of being pregnant, which I wasnt. I was just bloated cuz I started my period the next day, lol!! Even still..she made me drink it. I think I lost like 5lbs by my wedding day. The dress did zip up in the end, so thats all that mattered, lol.

I've tried it other times..but it's gets pretty boring drinking the same thing all the time. The little snacks dont help much either. I'm not allowed to buy it anymore though. The last time I did..I bought like 2 huge cases..used up one..and the other one just sat in the fridge for months and months.

bargoo
11-30-2009, 10:49 AM
I usually have Slimfast once a day. I just had one for breakfast but will be having some fruit a little later. Normally I make a protein shake for breakfast using non fat milk. I was out of milk this morning so used Slimfast as I didn't want to go to the store so early. I keep Slimfast on hand as well as a few Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice Dinners for the times when I just don't feel like going to the store. I don't mind the Slimfast Drink but wouldn't suggest using it for all three meals. By the way a chilled can of the Cappucino blended with a banana is delicious.

katkitten
12-01-2009, 08:20 AM
i keep some of the cans of choc shake in my fridge for when i want a sweet fix becaused if i kept candy around it wouldnt last long. :o But I've never officially followed the plan.

nelie
12-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Just wanted to let you know that Slimfast is recalling all of their Ready to Drink shakes!!

I made a post about it here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/187519-attn-slimfast-ready-drink-shake-recall.html

WhiteRabbit
02-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Cheaper to buy some protein powder and make your own shakes in a blender. I usually just mix milk, ice and one scoop post workout. Don't see why you couldn't do that as a meal replacement, especially if you throw in some fruit.

Yes! This is what I do. I don't find most of those shakes to be nutritious in a good way. The big jug of protein has the stuff you need. I mix the chocolate with half a banana, 1/2 c. skim milk, and 1/2 c. water (or ice cubes). I also throw a little of my Metamucil in there. Blend and drink. And I find this way more filling and cheaper than Slim Fast.

I have tried SF three times since it came out way back when. The first time, I lost a few pounds, other times nothing. They actually make me feel hungrier. I think they have cheaped out on the formula, because as teens, several of us lost a few pounds, but I haven't heard any real success stories since.

steph84106
03-26-2010, 09:51 PM
If you're busy & need something quick between Breakfast & Lunch or Lunch & Dinner... Slim Fast is a pretty healthy source of vitamins & nutrition & , if you give it about 10 minutes, the hunger pangs go away until you're ready to get dinner started! ... it works well for me when I need it but I don't rely on it for much of my diet.

ParadiseFalls
03-27-2010, 11:52 AM
I love the shakes, and I use them (the powdered kind) with light soymilk as a quick source of vitamins and fiber on my way to school. That's the only part of Slimfast I do, though.

CrystalMH
04-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I tried it before for about 2 weeks and joined the online community and all...Basically it's just a calorie counting diet (to me)....Online it tells you to eat a certain amount of calories (depending on weight and such) a day and just so happens to include their shakes in the mix....I think it's a waste of money. I just made a smoothie for breakfast and called it a day... *shrugs* Nothing wrong with the diet tho. Im on a budget so it seems that just plain calorie counting was cheaper. Btw a long time ago the shakes used to be all gross and mineral-tasting but they are sooooo good now. I used to put ice in my chocolate shakes and blend them!

NiteNicole
06-04-2010, 09:38 AM
I just found this post because I actually like SlimFast and am thinking of using it again. It's summer time, it's hot, I'm feeling lazy and I'd rather whip up a shake in the blender than have to make choices. LAZY.

In thinking back on the one time I was most successful with losing a significant amount of weight and keeping it off, Slim Fast was involved so I thought, why not.

My JR year in high school, I gained about 40 pounds which is a LOT to pack on in 9 months. It was my first year living in the dorm. I lost it all over the summer (and then some) using SF for breakfast and lunch, eating a lot of fruit for snacks, and having a "sensible dinner" ;) Once I got the weight off, I kept it off for ages. I didn't creep up again till much much later under totally different circumstances and it's been with me (and building) ever since.

I really really like the taste. The last time I used it, I often mixed in a frozen banana, a tablespoon of natural peanut butter, a frozen container of yogurt, etc. It changes it up, adds a little nutritional value, keeps you full longer and so on.

Just wish they still made the extra fiber version. That was so much more filling.

lucky8
06-08-2010, 07:29 AM
If you like milkshake yeah it can work for you, however i find having it for 2meals per day is doable for 1-2weeks max then only have it for breakfast

GoldenLeaf
06-09-2010, 12:55 AM
I used to drink the cappuccino-flavoured shakes as breakfast if I had no time for anything else, not because I needed to lose weight (this was pre-DD, when I was a normal healthy weight). I thought they were quite tasty actually, and back then it didn't bother me in the least that the ingredients were "fake". These days the list of numbers in the ingredients is seriously off-putting to me.

Belease
06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
I used to LOVE SlimFast when I was at school - the vanilla and chocolate shakes from a can were delicious. I'm going to try them again soon because they used to fill me up so much, but they've changed the packaging here so I have no idea if the taste will be the same. But I remember not being able to finish a can easily because I would get so incredibly full...

misstraveller
06-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Love the low carb one for breakfast, b/c i'm not a big breakfast person and its quick easy and great on the go. My fave is the creamy chocolate in the low carb version.

love2b150
06-14-2010, 05:48 PM
I use the shakes for breakfast. I do WW at home, and one of the shakes is 3 points. It makes a good breakfast when you're on the go. =D

Not sure if it works, I only drink them when I don't have time to eat. I have found that they work best as a replacement for breakfast with a piece of fruit and a bottle of water, definitely not for dinner (at least not for me):)

bliss
06-18-2010, 04:42 PM
I was thinking of trying it for 2 meals a day for 2 weeks to get used to eating less. I have a big problem with portion size. Has anyone else tried this?

bliss~

alambert
06-24-2010, 03:08 AM
My husband did it. Well he kinda abused it because all he did was the shakes 3 times a day. He did loose a lot of weight about 9 pounds in a week. It was crazy. He was also running 3 miles a day. I dont reccomend this to anyone. First of he has a will of steel and on top of that it isnt healthy and he is loosing weight way too fast! But I am sure that it would work if you do it for two meals and then eat a good dinner or lunch.

kellygram
06-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Many years ago my job required me to travel all over. It was hard not to gain weight with airport and fast food, so I would pack the SlimFast powder mix. It was the kind you add to juice (they probably don't make it any more). I loved the flavor and texture, almost too much because I couldn't just have one serving! Also it didn't fill me up like real food.

Has anyone tried the Fiber One shakes? They're hard to find where I live, but the chocolate flavor tastes great and is satisfying. For me just an occasional meal replacement, when I'm out running errands and forget to eat lunch or breakfast.

mom with issues
06-30-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm sorry but to all those who say the Slim-Fast shakes are healthy, I totally disagree. Just look at the list of ingredients. How many can you even pronounce let alone know what they actually are? They are full of chemicals and preservatives.
You can eat a heck of a lot of healthy fruits and veggies for the same amount of calories. For those who need a "quick" breakfast, I make up a dozen or so hard boiled eggs every week. When I'm in a hurry in the morning I just peel a couple and off I go. Eggs are good for you. They provide you with protein which gets your day off to a good start and is good for your brain as well. And studies show that having protein in the morning helps you feel full longer.
That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

beth1167
07-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I only drink the chocolate (powder) one for breakfast when I am in a hurry and don't have time for anything else. I have a small mixer that I add ice too with skim milk. They taste pretty good. One thing I have noticed, not to be gross, but they really take their affect on me within 2 - 3 hours :^:- if you know what I mean. They move me in other words.

Another thing, if I have one for breakfast then I generally have fruit or light snack within a couple of hours.

I wouldn't do the Slim Fast plan on a regular basis, mainly because it usually is only temporary. The best way is still the old fashion way. Watch your diet, eat healthy and exercise, exercise, exercise. Diet is 60%, exercise is 40%. And ladies don't be afraid of building muscle!

Mickeypnd
07-15-2010, 12:03 AM
I just started using it two weeks ago, and i must say, its so eas to use. I mean at first i was still hungry but i would have fruit or an english muffin with it, (i have the stuff you mix yourself so i use as much milk as i want, since its fat free)

and the only reason i started it was because Men's Health did an article and they said the best meal replacement was slim fast.

wwmandy327
07-18-2010, 01:14 PM
My mom tells me Slim Fast really messed up her stomach so I've always been too wary to try!

Laneebm
01-14-2011, 02:53 AM
I am going to try the Slim Fast diet.. See how it works for me personally. But eat at least one good meal a day at supper time.. Healthy snacks inbetween..
Will see how it goes.. Wish me luck.. Take care, Lanee..

vdander24
01-14-2011, 06:23 AM
..... As much as any other diet works for a short period of time, including the coffee diet, twinkie diet, hot dog diet... etc...
The thing is.. What happens when the time is up, or you've lost the weight?
It can be used for a crunch when you need some calories or to fill up, but for a more permanent solution we need to teach our bodies about moderation and balance... not about complete restriction... otherwise we will NEVER be able to be free of the mental aspect of this, no matter what the number on the scale says.

I agree with Mom with issues... The ingredients pretty much match up with Hersheys chocolate milk powder. After I realized that, I stopped buying any of the drink stuff. The chocolate bars are good, though.

Laneebm
01-15-2011, 10:08 PM
215.4 today..

pnkrckpixikat
01-17-2011, 08:56 PM
ive been doing the slim fast diet since march or april of '10, lost approx 50lbs so far, would be more but i had a period of time where i would either be working out or following the diet so i maintained for about 3 months.

It works for me because I was one of those people who would not eat all day then pig out at night because I'd finally realize I was hungry so I dont really feel like Im missing real food.

I've heard from other people that it doesnt work for them because they never feel they are eating enough so they end up breaking the diet more.

The people that say it doesn't treat you the things you need to learn to maintain, it does if you use those same principles in the one proportioned meal you eat per day as well as the 3 snacks. once you hit maintenance you just take that lesson and add it to the extra meals.

Morethananumber
04-16-2011, 01:45 AM
I thought of doing SF or Special K (just the shake part) but wasnt sure how theyd taste.

Morethananumber
04-17-2011, 04:17 PM
well im trying to drink a SF right now and its kind of gross- i think its the milk in it. :(

losingdaybyday
07-25-2011, 07:35 PM
i was going to try it but didnt hear anything good. i got the jillian michaels whey protein drink and i was sick of it by the third day i went back to jus water n salad

amyleigh
07-30-2011, 03:41 PM
i used the slimfast diet and slimfast.com to track everything for about 3 months, after which i combined the shakes and snack bars into my own diet. it worked really well for me because i was student teaching and taking classes full time so i had NO time for real food.

i also find they're good when i get stuck on a plateau i'll go back to them. they can be a bit expensive. when you decide to go off them, you have to keep consuming about the same calories or you'll gain it all back (basically it's just a low calorie diet).

bellastarr
07-30-2011, 04:03 PM
i did it once, was very strict...had a milk chocolate shake and fruit for breakfast, same for lunch, salad for dinner, and lots of cardio and lost about 10 lbs in a month....however i got very sick of it..i used to have to add tons of ice to it and drink it with a spoon to make it last longer.. it's kind of chalky tasting...and has a lot of sugar...and i even got the one that had less sugar than the original..but yeay it does work if you do it

BettyBooty
08-09-2011, 08:27 AM
I have a case of the cans in my pantry. My husband or I will use them once in a while for a breakfast or lunch replacement, with some fruit or veg. I've never used them per the plan, though, but I can definitely see how it can help with portion control, or with someone who tends to eat only 2 real meals a day.

habakuktwo
08-12-2011, 05:14 PM
I remeber my mom taking it and it didn't agree with her stomach.

DezziePS
08-12-2011, 10:55 PM
I kind of like slim-fast- as long as it's very cold and for some reason, it tastes better through a straw. I never really could stay on the slim-fast 'diet' though, because I can always think of more filling ways to spend 200 calories. It is a good tool, though, I think. And they are awfully convenient.

sumu1
08-14-2011, 02:45 PM
I always have the powder mix in my pantry. Throw in some frozen vanilla yogurt or fresh fruit and it can be a nice snack. I tried a long time ago to use it as they intended but I really didn't like drinking my meal. :-)

bargoo
08-14-2011, 03:44 PM
I am going to be moving, soon and don't want a lot of fresh food in the refrigerator. I bought a few six packs of Slimfast to use when I run out of milk. I also have some frozen vegies in my freezer to use up. These will be my mainstays for a few days until I get moved and can get to the grocery store.

MidnightRaven
08-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I use the power and add it to my smoothies in the morning sometime ... usually I make a smoothie with a banana, some skim milk, and a tablespoon of peanut butter. Adding a bit of the chocolate royale powder (not the whole scoop, maybe half of one) give my smoothie a delicious chocolate-peanut butter -banana taste and adds a bit more protein to keep me full. I drink one before I work out in the morning, or if I am working out at night I'll drink it on the bus into work in the morning. Cheap, tasty, convenient!

Mrslombardi
12-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm on WW and eat a lot of the Slimfast snacks and meal bars. They keep me full.

I've tried the SF diet I don't even know how many times. Within about 2 days I was sick of it. I wanted food that wasn't cold..and food that was well..FOOD. I wanted at least a hot breakfast.

I still have at least 1 shake every day or so. As long as I'm not constantly drinking them, I can stand them.

Charlee
01-05-2012, 12:47 PM
I usually do this for one week every so often then go back to calorie counting, it gets a good 4-6 lb off in a week but in the long run I find it boring. However I do have a shake for breakfast if I don't have time.