Old 09-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

Height: 5'6"

Default HELP!...How Do I Stay Motivated?!

Hello everyone,
I am new to this site, and I have struggled with my weight all of my life. I will lose some pounds here and there only to find myself gaining them right back due to slacking off on my diet and exercising.
My question is how to I keep the motivation that is so high when I start. I want to lose weight and I am so tired of not beig happy with what I see when I look in the mirror.

Any suggestions!
SizEsExY HeRe I cOmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #2  

Personally for me the motivation comes after I start to feel differently.Neither the mirror or the scale is my friend.But when I have more energy, less gi symptoms, fewer headaches.....that is what keeps me motivated.These things will happen for you as well.Hang in there.Good luck!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I stay motivated by what my scale says, if it is up, it encourages me to work harder , if I am at goal it motivates me to stay at goal.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I have issues with motivation like exercising...I struggle a lot with that. I have found that when I get bored or I'm feeling..i dunno...like I'm in a "rut" or "routine" I lose my motivation. I like challenges and variety with things, even food. I like to explore, try new things, etc. That is me personally though.

harrismm makes a great point, when I do feel good I do have more energy and I focus on my life, not what I look like as much or what the scale says. That gives me motivation as well. The better I feel, the bigger my smile gets!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I just keep asking myself how much do I want this?

I also have a photo of myself at 16, THIN! I want that again! And the other thing is cute clothes I used to wear- I keep them around and they are motivating me. I just recently tried on some size 14 pants, and they almost fit- I can get them up but I can't button it- for sure THAT is motivation!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #6  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

This is a toughy because we ALL go through it. Any advice I give is easier said than done...

One major thing that I keep reminding myself is that if I give in, then I just have to start all over again. I have been posting on this board for a while and come and go. I have found that the board really helps keep me accountable. I know I'm not on track when I stop posting... and it really sucks to have to come back and say "oh I gained the weight that I lost... or gained even more back!" Everyone here is super supportive, but it's still not a fun feeling.

Also, I remind myself that even though I don't WANT to go to the gym or work out at home... when I do I feel 1000 times better aftewards and ask myself why I didn't want to do it in the first place. If I'm stressed or have had a crappy day I use that as motivation to kick butt and take names at the gym. It's a huge stress reliever!!!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I would stop relying on motivation. Motivation is not enough to get the job done. It's fleeting and is never around when the cookies, ice cream and fried foods ARE.

Commitment. That's what's needed. Make a commitment to "do this" no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT. This way there is no way that you can't not do this. You do it whether you feel like it or not. You make that IRON CLAD UNBREAKABLE COMMITMENT to do what's necessary, and what's REQUIRED to get the job done. You decide once and for all that you will indeed do this - you make that commitment - no turning back. Just forging ahead. Decide that you want to be healthy more then anything else. Make that a priority. Decide it. Commit to it and then take the ball and run with it. Devise yourself a sensible plan and execute the heck out of it. Day in and day out. Because you've decided to. Because you've committed to doing it. And NOT to do it, is no longer an option.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

Height: 5'6"

Default I Never Thought About That!

Thanks!
I never thought to think about the feeling afterwards...and it is so true, when I work out. I feel great! And the mirror and scale are not my frends either...thy say nasty things to me. LOL! I know that I need to commit, but I always find other things that I feel need my attention first. I guess it's time to put me first for a change.
I feel that this site is the best for me. I have tried many others, and was not impressed.

Thanks again everyone! I will continue to post to keep myself on track!
SizEsExY HeRe I cOmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/158/120

Height: 5'0"

Hi! I'm new too and had the same question. I find myself super motivated then it dies. I think now I will have a couple of motivations (wish my siggy would work so I can put them there lol):

~my birthday is in 13 weeks!
~more than 1/2 of my closet doesn't fit me and I REFUSE TO GO SHOPPING for a bigger size.
~this board: I'm hoping that by posting all my mishaps or victories, it will keep me going!

good luck!
Lynn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #10  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Crap Lynn! Thanks for reminding me that my bday is in SEVEN weeks... I didn't even realize that. Dang!

Robin -- you're SO right. I wanted to stop smoking and one day I woke up with no time to go to the gas station for smokes in order to get to work on time and I said... "you know what, I don't need it. I'm done." Now, I would be lying if I told you that wasn't a very rough morning and if I told you that I didn't go out and buy the patches at lunch... but I haven't smoked since then. Thanks for the new way of looking at it!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #11  
Wishes I could be a cat!

S/C/G: 249/241/150

Height: 5'2

My motivation is the gym. Seriously. Working out at home; I hate it!! Boring. But the gym I like because there are all these machines, lol. Going with a friend can also help with motivation (I go with my husband). And I agree about the picture from skinnier days. I also have a picture from when I was 16 and a skinny mini, and that is motivation!!

Good luck!
momto3kittiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 264.5/177/165

Height: 5"5

Hmm it's the same question I first asked when I joined this site, but I soon found that 3FC is just full of motivation. You're surrounded by people who are trying to do the same thing as you, people who have succeeded and lost weight and people who have kept it off (and some who have had to keep trying). It just makes me feel much more normal, especially when I look at people's before and after pics, I think... wow I could be like that one day soon..
My biggest motivation is the thought that the numbers on my scale are constantly coming down... when I first weighed in at 264.5 I felt physically sick and the woman weighing me turned around and said "look this is the last time you'll ever have to see those numbers again". And I really believe it is because I've steadily lost weight since then.
Whenever you feel down or feel like giving up, come on here and speak your mind.... there's always at least one person who understands (most times there's loads of people which is amazing!!!)
good luck, you can lose the weight - just have a bit of faith, dedication and commitment and you'll be fine!
SoulSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #13  
Wishes I could be a cat!

S/C/G: 249/241/150

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSurvivor View Post
Hmm it's the same question I first asked when I joined this site, but I soon found that 3FC is just full of motivation. You're surrounded by people who are trying to do the same thing as you, people who have succeeded and lost weight and people who have kept it off (and some who have had to keep trying). It just makes me feel much more normal, especially when I look at people's before and after pics, I think... wow I could be like that one day soon..
My biggest motivation is the thought that the numbers on my scale are constantly coming down... when I first weighed in at 264.5 I felt physically sick and the woman weighing me turned around and said "look this is the last time you'll ever have to see those numbers again". And I really believe it is because I've steadily lost weight since then.
Whenever you feel down or feel like giving up, come on here and speak your mind.... there's always at least one person who understands (most times there's loads of people which is amazing!!!)
good luck, you can lose the weight - just have a bit of faith, dedication and commitment and you'll be fine!
Wow, great post!! And I just want to hug the person who was weighing you. What a nice thing to say! That must have been motivating!
momto3kittiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 PM   #14  
wants to look good naked

S/C/G: 200/171.8/135

Height: 5'5"

i find it's very easy to stay motivated when my life is in order... throw a few curveballs and i loose focus.

example: lost my job, got a boyfriend. I haven't lost weight but luckily i haven't gained any more back.
dizzysoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #15  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 181/179.6/140

Height: 5' 7"

I have found that I will do really well for two or three weeks at a time (as in eating healthy, fruits and veggies, giving up soda and sweets, no fast food, running 3-4 times a week etc.) and then I step on my scale and see the exact same number, unchanged from the weeks before. No matter if I feel great after exercising more or if I feel thinner (like that would happen in one week!) I still find myself going by that stupid number and after trying my best I give up because I haven't made progress on the scale. That is no longer my entire motivation! I feel better when I exercise and eat healthy, so I just want to keep up that feeling. I also feel a sense of accomplishment when I say "no" to that soda or that cookie. You have to find what works for you and run with it! Good luck!
blueiris6 is offline   Reply With Quote