Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #1  
Chuggin' along...

Default No Halloween Candy - take the pledge with me!

It's that time of year again. There's already an entire aisle devoted to candy in CVS, the $ store, and Walmart, and those are the only stores I've been in this week. I'm sure it's in all the other stores too!

Snickers will always hold a soft spot in my heart... but I don't need them. Halloween candy isn't special. It's available year-round in a differently colored wrapper if I really "need" it! My mom's apple butter is special, or my dad's homemade apple pie that I might get once a year if I'm lucky, that's special.

On top of that my "red line" is of distant memory, fitting into my winter clothes is a bit of a daunting prospect right now... there are so many reasons I'm doing this.

I pledge that I will not eat Halloween candy this year. I welcome anyone and everyone who wants to join me in this pledge! Anyone who's reading this is welcome, just because I'm posting it in the maintainers forum please don't feel you have to post here regularly to join in.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #2  
Meg

I will join you in the pledge! And it goes for after Halloween too. Half off candy is no bargain!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #3  
No description available.

I'm in!!! One fun size Almond Joy is okay, but I NEVER stop at one. It is far better for me to have none then to sit in front of an empty stack of wrappers wondering what the heck just happened.

This will be my 3rd year for a Halloween Candy Abstinence pledge. They work very well.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #4  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I'll take that pledge! No candy, no bingeing, no weight gain, no feeling like a slug!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #5  
Workin' It

I'm in. I don't need to waste my calories on pretty packaged candies that never really satisfy, particularly when I know there will likely be homemade iced pumpkin cookies in my future that are much more satisfying if I want a holiday indulgence.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-14-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I'm in.
This is just what I needed to remind me why I stopped eating candy before. I love what Megan said: "Halloween candy isn't special. It's available year-round in a differently colored wrapper if I really "need" it! My mom's apple butter is special, or my dad's homemade apple pie that I might get once a year if I'm lucky, that's special."
I just need to remember this when someone offers a candy.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #7  
Marina

S/C/G: 317/286/190

Height: 5'9

Awesome pledge, I'm in!
ThickAZChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #8  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I will join you in the pledge! And it goes for after Halloween too. Half off candy is no bargain!
The aftermath is my downfall.

I am even starting to feel the longing for processed crap that comes along with Halloween, which totally sends me into a tailspin.

I pledge to avoid eating even ONE piece of Halloween candy BEFORE, DURING, or for the WEEKS AFTER this goshdarn holiday!!!

Yes. I do make this pledge!!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

This is weird, but I'm not going to do the pledge this year. This is why: we get few to no trick or treaters, my son is now in high school and it's totally uncool for him to go trick or treating, and even when the stuff is in the house I have control enough to either ignore it (especially if I buy the stuff I don't like) or I eat it in complete moderation (a mini bar every 3 or 4 days if I buy the stuff I do like).

For instance, I buy ice cream cones for DS and DH. I ALWAYS have them on hand. I had one on Saturday (after budgeting my calories for it). It was the first one I've had in over 6 months.

Good luck you all of you on your pledge! I will check in and let you know how my non-pledge is working however!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 226/158.2/137

Height: 5'6

I will take this challenge too. Halloween candy does not sound half as good as being able to wear a cute halloween costume!

I'm in!
nineoceansaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #11  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Yes, I'm in! We have candy around all the time, not just holidays, and I've had some "face-down in the candy jar" moments lately. So, I'm going to Just Say No!

Thanks. Great idea!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm with midwife - it'd be fine if I could stop at one piece, but I just can't, so count me in!

Allison, that's great that you can enjoy in moderation - it's definitely the key but I have not mastered it.

I also agree that there are things that are much more special - like the iced ginger cookies my family always has - and I will enjoy a few of those much more anyway!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

I'm in. This is one of my weak points.
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I had Halloween candy last year for the first time since I changed my life, and you know, it wasn't that great. I take the pledge for this year!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I'm in, starting NOW. The ladies in my office buy chocolate ALL YEAR LONG. I can't even stick my yogurt in the fridge without having to wade through (literally) piles and bags and those clear plastic containers FULL of mini Hershey bars, Kisses, Krackles, etc., to get to it.

No chocolate for me!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote