PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 08:46 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default I got my Glucophage

I don't know whether to say Yayyyyyy! Or Yay. I guess I will start them back up tomorrow night. Dr Kennedy recommended once at dinner for a week then taking 2 at dinner for a week and then going to 3. Is that what everybody else does? Anybody having stomach problems with the XR??
Old 07-15-2002, 10:59 AM   #2  

Hmmmm, I've never heard it prescribed like that before. I take 2 500 mg pills a day. Once with breakfast and one with dinner. I am thinking maybe I should take a 3rd pill a day too. I started out with full force, only because I chose to get the awful side effects over quickly instead of spreading it out. He wants you to take all 3 pills at once?

Old 07-16-2002, 12:00 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

Yep, 3 at once. They are the XR ones, so they are time released. I took my first one last night but will have to wait again until tomorrow to take the next one. I just was informed this afternoon that I have a cancellation available to get my endoscopy tomorrow. I am in quite a bit of pain so this will be good to get an answer of what is wrong with me...if I haven't filled you guys in on this pain, I will update tomorrow night when I am awake and off the sedation!
Old 07-16-2002, 08:57 AM   #4  

I didn't know anything about the pain you've been suffering with. Poor thing. Well, am glad that you got a chance to have it done earlier, those things could take forever. I hope it goes well and your feeling a bit better by the time you read this.

Old 07-17-2002, 09:47 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

Default Inconclusive results

Well, they didn't find anything that was causing the pain. I have a small hiatal hernia, some stomach irritation and a fatty liver, none of which are causing the pain! He suggested a CT scan. I have had very little pain since the procedure. Maybe me gagging my head off did something for it!

Back to the Glucophage tonite! Has anybody had heart palpitations and sweaty hands from it? I didn't on the regular Gluc, but the first night I took this I had this happen. Didn't know if it was from the pills or if it was a panic attack from the chest pain. I didn't see anything listed on the medication side effects.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:52 AM   #6  

Well, I don't know if I should be happy they didn't find anything that was causing the pain or not. Are you going for the CT scan?

I never heard anything about the palpitations or sweaty hands from the meds. Maybe it was anxiety?

Old 07-22-2002, 01:29 PM   #7  

I can honestly say that it is entirely possible for you to experience anxiety-like symptims form gluc since the reaction of the body is very strong! I found (after discussing it with my doc) that if I start off small with gluc, like 500mg per day and work up to my actual dosage (1500mg 3x per day) that the reactions are alot less. Basically, gluc pupts your body in stop mode from what it is accustomed to--causing insulin resistance. Give it some time and it should work itself out. BTW, I also suffer anxiety disorder (yet another pill I have to take daily) so my first reaction to gluc was like having a panic attack. Since I knew it wasn't a panic attack I was having (because I took my meds), process of elimination was the gluc. Hope this helps in some way!
Old 07-23-2002, 10:06 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

Ok Pooky, I'm confused!
"Basically, gluc pupts your body in stop mode from what it is accustomed to--causing insulin resistance. "
Sometimes you gotta spell it out for me.... the Glucophage causes insulin resistance??

I have had a lot of problems with anxiety also, so I guess maybe I am pre-disposed to the feelings anyway...does anybody else here take all of their Gluc XR with the same meal? Does it matter if dinner or lunch? I'd rather have these problems earlier in the day than late at night. I will make sure and stay on one single pill until I am sure a second will be alright.

Jenniffer, yes I will happily go for the CT scan. I want to know what is going on. I don't like pain in the chest! I will hopefully have a date planned later this week. I will keep ya updated! Right now I am typing minimally, I have overworked arms from work and my muscles are feeling wimpy and shaky. I was a bad girl and skipped the chiropractor!
Old 07-24-2002, 08:31 AM   #9  

In my opinion...the changes your body experience from starting the gluc is one thing, and the anxiety is a different issue. But mentally, this is alot on all of us, so maybe it does go hand in hand. LOL Who knows.

I take 1 pill at breakfast and 1 pill at dinner. I don't know anyone who takes all 3 at the same time. But maybe that's the trick, get it all over with at once.

Good luck Jennifer with the CT scan, am rootin for you.

Old 07-24-2002, 08:48 AM   #10  
WW Moderator

Do you do the XR? When I took regular, I spaced it out. Now that he is giving me the XR, he wants it all at one meal. I think I may do the lunch thing...at least until I get over the side effects.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:15 PM   #11  

Hello Ladies!

I hope you don't mind me joining your group. My name is Sylvia and I was just diagnosed with PCOS and a mild case of insulin resistance(if that exists). Today I picked up my metformin. My doctor wants me to start with one a day with a meal for 7 days then work up to twice a day for another 7 days then 3 a day. The doctor told me that she wants me to lose 30 pounds ( I weigh 253). Does Metformin help in trying to conceive?

Thanks-

Sylvia
Old 07-25-2002, 11:13 PM   #12  

Hi All,
I was really glad to see this thread. I take Glucophage XR once a day . My Dr. said to always take it with the evening meal but I felt so bad I changed the time. I had stomache pain and diareaha (not sure of spelling, but you get the drift) very bad. I have been on it for about 2 weeks and am trying to gt adjusted. I am now taking it with a snack later in the evening [around 10 or 10:30] It seems to help with the side efects. Hope you-all do Ok.

Last edited by Patricia; 07-25-2002 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Sylvia, insulin resistance, we got it in spades! It's very hard for PCOSers to lose weight, especially if there is a low-fat diet high in carbs, which triggers insulin. Our bodies have been bombarded by it for so long that they can't handle it properly. I'm sure there are some really smart chicks who can tell you exactly what happens, I am not one of them. Suffice to say, it wreaks havoc on the hormones, causes diabetes, heart disease, etc, etc. My doctor (who earned his degree in the stone ages) refuses to give me Glucophage because I'm not diabetic. I guess he'd prefer me to wait until I become one! That's another story. It should help your insulin resistance which will in turn help your hormones which will help in conceiving. Good luck to you!

Patricia, I hope your symptoms regulate soon! What a pain in the rear (no pun intended!!) but it does go away after a couple weeks, so I hear.

Glad to see some new members in the group!
Old 07-26-2002, 09:40 AM   #14  

aivlys..There is no confirmation that Metformin will help to concieve directly, but my ER said that many many times, it will work. The out of control amount of insulin in our bodies has a really bad effect on our reproductive organs., amking it difficult to concieve or have a regular cycle. I am not sure if your cycle is irregular, but mine was, for a very long time. After a month of Metformin, my cycles returned, normally. And we all know, to concieve, you must have a regular cycle. So, yes, in a way, it will help. I am now divorced and began the Metformin treatments again. My doctor warned a handful of times to practice safe sex because the chances of me getting pregnant are higher now on Metformin again. So, in a nutshell, yes. It can help you.

Jennifer..To be honest, I've never heard of the XR till I saw you post it. What are the benefits? This is the time release pills, right?

Patricia..Be patient, it will go away. It's worth it. I have found that I must take it with food. No ifs ands or buts. I've learned my lesson a few times.

goodforme..Is there a chance that your doc can refer you to a different doc since he's not willing to help you?

Old 07-26-2002, 11:53 PM   #15  
WW Moderator

Default XR

Jennifer, to me, the benefits of XR will be not having as many chances to forget the pills since I will take all three with dinner each night. Also, the rate of stomach upset is much less on XR. I think he said XR's stomach upset was something like less than one percent, whereas the regular was much higher...I want to say 30, but maybe he said 13 percent. So far so good, but I am just on 500mg right now.
Closed Thread