PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 05:42 PM   #1  

Lightbulb Waiting for Appt.

Hi there, everyone. Well, I'm sitting on eggshells ... waiting for my second doctor's appointment. Um, where to start ... I was diagnosed ten years ago with polycystic kidney disease and I'm doing fairly well with it (kidneys still functioning, etc.)

But, in the past two-three years, things have gone completely haywire in other areas though. My periods got longer and longer (15 days long last month) and heavier and heavier (nasty ... [shudder] ... very nasty). My cramping has gotten steadily worse and I've now started to develop mood swings.

Oh, but wait ... it gets worse. I have no sex drive. Seriously .... none. My poor hubby thinks it's him ... and I can't make him understand that nothing seems sexy to me anymore. It seems like the farthest thing from my mind at this point ... and no book, movie, picture ... nothing seems to help.

Okay, now the worst part ... I've always been heavy, but in these past two-three years, I've put on 50+ pounds and absolutely nothing I do seems to help. I'm now 205 lbs. and only 5'2" tall ... so yes, things are pretty bad.

Well, about six months ago, I met someone with polycystic ovaries and she said this all sounded familiar. She referred me to her gyno who, she says, is very familiar with pcos ... and since I haven't had an exam in five or six years, it seemed reasonable.

Sure enough, he told me yesterday that I've got all the signs of a hormone imbalance. Question is ... what's causing it? Before we could do any tests or even start the typical gyno exam ... he got beeped by the hospital ... a patient of his was going into delivery.

So, we rescheduled for next Wednesday. Ugh! An entire week to wait and think about this. I'm so worried. They told me years ago that it was common for people with PKD to develop cysts on their liver, ovaries ... even in the brain. I just hate to imagine it's finally happened. Heck, I don't even know how they'll treat it.

I was so desparate over my weight, that I was considering talking to a doctor about surgury ... but I suppose I'll wait now to see what we find out next week.

Anyone have words of encouragement ...

BonnyKay
Old 07-10-2002, 06:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Hang in there! It's awful, it's horrible, but the wait is worth it. You may find out that it's not PCOS after all. And if you do, well, it's not the end of the world. There are medications and diet that can control it, believe me! Good luck to you!
Old 07-11-2002, 12:06 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Default It will be ok!

Hi BonnyKay, I know this is hard for you to wait. I was actually relieved to hear it was PCOS because it could have been so much worse! Have you read the sticky notes on this forum? Jenniffer put some great stuff up. PCOS is very livable and most of the symnptoms can be alleviated in one form or another. Are you currently doing any kind of diet? If not, please consider a low carb one. That will be about the only way you can lose weight successfully (all the way, anyway) and this will also help control some symptoms and keep diabetes at bay. Please look around the forum and read some things. I think it will answer a lot of questions for you. It isn't so bad---I can think of lots worse I could have!
Old 07-15-2002, 11:05 AM   #4  

*HUGS* and Welcome! It's scary and you have every right to be scared right now. To be put off for more testing an entire week must have made it all much much worse. Hang in there. You will have the answers soon. Not knowing anything is the worst part.

I learned that sometimes when were going through something like this, it may trigger a depression. And we all know sex it the last thing we want or need while were feeling down. I have seen that a side effect of PCOS may be low sex drive, but I truly believe that it's mental. We don't feel well, were angry, sad, overweight, ect...the last thing we want to do is to have our bodies touched. Hopefully they will determine on what's going on in your body. Wether it be PCOS or not, there will be a treatment plan. YOU will feel better soon. You will get it under control and you will start being like your old self. Tell hubby to be patient with you. Hopefully he is a great source of support. If not, well....you always have us. Hang in there. Were rooting for you. Keep us updated.

Old 07-16-2002, 10:32 AM   #5  

Default Thanks ...

Thanks for the words of support ... only one day left to go until I meet with the doctor. My mom (God love her) pointed out that I probably won't get all the answers I need or want tommorrow ... that lots of times they'll order blood tests or other diagnostics. She hugged me and said I shouldn't get my hopes up that I'll go in tommorrow and they'll snap their fingers and fix this.

Plus, she pointed out something I hadn't considered. Maybe PCOS would be a blessing when you consider our family history. When my mom was 26 and she finally got pregnant with me, they discovered she had cervical cancer. As soon as she delivered, they performed a full hysterectomy on her. Her sister has had ovarian cancer and her other sister had breast cancer. Good lord ... when you consider that, maybe I should be *hoping* for PCOS. haha (Just kidding ...)

I'm trying to stay positive about it ... you guys are right, it won't be the end of the world no matter what. I think what depressed me the most is that if I do have cysts on my ovaries, it probably means they've spread from my kidneys. I was hoping that wouldn't happen anytime soon ...

Anyway ... I'll write tommorrow after my appointment. Say a prayer for me ...

BonnyKay
Old 07-17-2002, 08:57 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

BonnyKay, are you wanting or planning other pregnancies? For me, this would be the worst part of PCOS. I don't know much about Polycystic Kidney Disease, but I can imagine it would be worse than the ovaries.

I have some ovary pain at times, but I have had it for most of my life. I have a few pesky hairs and I have to follow a low carb diet if I want to lose weight and fight off diabetes. This is one of the more simple diseases I could probably have! Good luck at the doctor and I hope you get good answers.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:43 AM   #7  

Thinking of you..and rootin you on.

Old 07-17-2002, 10:37 AM   #8  

Default Pregnancy, Fertility, etc.

Jennifer - Unfortunately, I've never been pregnant ... and since my hubby and I haven't used any birth control for at least four years, I guess that's a good sign there's something not quite right. Im lucky enough to have three fantastic step-daughters (the oldest is almost 16 and the twins are 14) from hubby's previous marriage ... so he's definately ... fertile. haha So does PCOS cause fertility problems?

PKD isn't too bad ... at least, not in the stage that I'm in now. A lot of people never even have symptoms and die from something completely unrelated years down the road. Unfortunately, I've had symptoms since I was 13 ... when my blood pressure was so high they thought I would have a stroke. PKD causes high blood pressure, back and side pain, tiredness, and in some cases a weakened immune system. I get sick pretty easily ... and could sleep 10 hours a day .... if anyone would just let me! haha

My nephrologist says that I'm looking at a transplant and/or dialysis by the time I'm 50-55. I'm 32 now ... so I've got quite a few years of kick left in me ... and I'd have more kick if my family would just let me sleep! haha

I leave in an hour for my appt. so I'm trying to get all "zen" ... talk to you guys soon -

Bon
Old 07-20-2002, 12:09 AM   #9  
WW Moderator

Hi BonnyKay, how did it go? I hope you got good news!
Old 07-22-2002, 01:35 PM   #10  

OH BonnyKay--big hugs to you! I hope everything went well at the doc and you got some good news. Yes, PCOS does cause infertility problems--I'm trying to have my second one and my doc has me on both glucophage for the PCOS and Clomid (a fertility drug) I have been a low carber for about a year and half now and have lost 21 pounds, so I know it does work! All I can say is if you do indeed have PCOS, this is a fight you can win! There are great meds out there and with the right diagnosis, everything can really work out for you. Best of luck!
Old 07-24-2002, 08:34 AM   #11  

Best wishes Pooky with your journey to having a baby of your own. It is possible to have a baby with PCOS. Keep the faith. I too went down that road of clomid.

Bonnykay..PCOS is actually one of the leading causes of infertlity. Any news yet?

Closed Thread