Old 07-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yesterday I spoiled my appetite for lunch by having some frozen yogurt, which was ick by the way (that's been my working definition for junk lately - stuff that makes me want to eat it even though the taste makes me think ick - there's something wrong with food like that). I didn't mean to, I thought I'd still be hungry after, but I wasn't for another 4 hours or so. But, good healthy girl that I am, I went and bought some Chipotle anyway, to get in some good beans and veggies. I took a few bites, and realized I was already full. Not just not hungry, but full. Chipotle's not cheap! But I ended up throwing it out because it was out for hours and hours by the time I could even think about eating. I felt stupid for buying lunch before I was hungry, but good about not just eating it anyway!

Last edited by JulieJ08; 07-06-2009 at 12:59 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #17  
Intuitive Eater

Julie, I know what you mean about the foods that are just "ick." I don't know why, but I eat them too even tho I'm really not enjoying it, but can't stop eating it for some reason ... maybe subconscious rebellion to the diet mentality?

Chipotle ... love me some Chipotle!!! mmmmm!!!

Have a great day everyone!

PS. Enjoy your trip Carol!
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Julie, I just followed the link to your photos. You've done wonderfully well!
I noticed that you're eating whole foods most of the time, and not calorie counting. Did you calorie count for a long time while losing, or did your loss come about because you switched to whole foods?

Have you been intuitive eating for long?

Carol, those You Tube segments from Michelle May that you posted yesterday were very good. I'm immersed in "diet head" lately, and those videos really jolted me back into reality for what works for me. Hint: it's not "diets".
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
Julie, I just followed the link to your photos. You've done wonderfully well!
I noticed that you're eating whole foods most of the time, and not calorie counting. Did you calorie count for a long time while losing, or did your loss come about because you switched to whole foods?
Have you been intuitive eating for long?
I calorie counted down to about 160 pounds, but not after that. That was at the same point as I became vegetarian. I was always doing the wholefoods thing. For most of the rest of the weight loss, it's probably more accurate to say I wasn't calorie counting than to say I was doing Intuitive Eating. But I had it in mind and was learning and experimenting with it a bit. I incorporate more and more over time.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #20  

We made it safe and sound to my son's in Seattle My DD will be coming up from Portland tomorrow and then we will go to her house next Mon., Lord willing. I always find it a little more difficult to do IE when away from home because you eat mostly what someone else fixes but today has gone well so far....even had a Baskin Robbins jamoca almond fudge singe dip cone which I only get about once every 3 yr.....ahhhhh.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #21  
Intuitive Eater

Hi everyone!

Hi Carol, glad you're enjoying yourself and have arrived safely. Enjoy your family!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #22  

Seems I always have a little trouble on vacation. Can't always eat when you're hungry and then when you do you go past satisified. But I did see some pictures of myself for the first time in a long time and I was surprised and pleased. How is everyone else doing?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #23  
I will make time!!!

Wow, hello everyone. I've read these posts, I am doing intuitive eating right now. I don't eat junk though, I find eating chicken helps fill you up, and it's good when your craving things also. haha, kinda random, huh? I was looking for a thread that I was doing. I found it.

I feel really good, and I find that if you let your cravings go, just have alittle of what you want( that's already in your own home already) you feel ok, becuase when you let yourself just have alittle of what your craving, you know it will not hurt you for the day.

What's wierd is since I've started, I havn't felt hungry really at all. One: Becuase I'm eating here and there when I know I need to. Is that against ie? Also, I know that since I've been eating only when I'm hungry it has my appitite lower.

Also as a side note, I've been exercising almost everyday.

Do you guys really think that book is worth getting? I havn't looked at it.

SnowWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #24  
I will make time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Seems I always have a little trouble on vacation. Can't always eat when you're hungry and then when you do you go past satisified. But I did see some pictures of myself for the first time in a long time and I was surprised and pleased. How is everyone else doing?
wow, that is great carol!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #25  

Welcome snowwolf. I'm on vacation right now so not much time to post. Lord williing, we'll be home on Sat.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #26  
Intuitive Eater

Welcome SnowWolf!

It seems to be a little slow around here lately. I, myself, have been out of town a few days and am just now back. This isn't a really busy thread to begin with, but we have some regulars who pop in to let us know how things are going and we discuss our ups and downs. It's truly a learning process following IE - mostly learning about ourselves! I do recommend the book, but in case you haven't already checked out the website, you can click on the link in my signature to read a bit about it.

I hit a snag this weekend and found out what happens when I am tempted not to watch my carbs, the old diet mentality sets in and I still give myself free reign to eat. *sigh* I guess the only way to be truly free is to give yourself complete permission to eat, not even holding back just a bit (like I have been doing with the carbs). So I think I have to make a life choice ... put up with the occasional splurges that come with family get-togethers and just get back into the game "come Monday" or just totally let go. I've already let go and it added 10 pounds almost instantly. Not the direction I wanted to go in. PLUS I fear diabetes is looming on the horizon for me if I do not put that limit on my carbs now while things are still OK. Well, that was my boo-hoo session for the day. I have to stick with limiting my carbs, but still doing it the IE way.

Hope everyone is doing OK! Its been so quiet in here! Have a great one!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #27  

From Beyond Chocolate.

Most of us do not wake up in the morning thinking "I really must transform my relationship with food and my body!". Most women wake up thinking "I really must lose weight!". The search for weight loss is all encompassing: Weight loss is the answer, the pot of gold. Or is it?

At Beyond Chocolate we often get asked the million-dollar question: do people lose weight by following the Beyond Chocolate principles?

The short answer is: yes, many women do.

The longer answer is: yes many women do lose weight - for some it happens quite quickly but for most, it takes a while to undo the years of dieting mentality and learn new skills. Lets face it, dieting is depressing, punishing, and it doesn't work for long. Beyond Chocolate is kind, liberating and for life! So, it may take a bit of time to lose weight and you may even put a bit on before it goes for good, but getting there will be nothing like a diet! Some women haven't lost weight but what they've gained is immeasurable.

So while you read the testimonials below, all from women who have reported losing weight and from those who haven't, have a look at what they say they have all gained. Maybe tomorrow you'll wake up thinking "I really must transform my relationship with food and my body!"

"Sophie and Audrey Boss have changed my life, they have taught me how to listen to my body and give it what it needs. I eat for pleasure and nourishment and stop when I am satisfied. I no longer spend evenings uncomfortably full and regretting what I have eaten, or hungry and deprived whilst dieting. I'm free of the tyranny of the diet industry and from my self-imposed dieting and food miseries. And have I lost weight? Yes, two stone so far, without counting a calorie, syn or point, without giving up chocolate, or fresh bread and butter, or cheese, or a good bottle of wine. Beyond Chocolate changes lives." D. Merriman, Yorkshire

"90% of women on this westernised bit of the planet are wasting so much time and energy being miserable about their weight. Read the book. Go on the course. Work on yourself. Then we'll take over the WORLD!" Cressi, Cambridgeshire

"I bought this book a year ago now. The best buy I ever made!! For the first time in my life I'm losing weight without trying and thoroughly enjoying eating whatever I want" D Liridona, on Amazon

"I've been on and off diets all my life. After a year or so of investigating and procrastinating, I started Beyond Chocolate last summer. I had a six-month fight with myself, knowing how important it was medically for me lose weight as soon as possible, but trying to 'let go' and allow intuitive eating to work properly. Then I had a light-bulb moment. The more I worry about it, the less it works. The more I jump on the scales, the less it works. The more I think about weight and size the less it works. I had to learn to trust my body and take a huge leap of faith that it would give me the right signals, if I only allowed it and listened properly, as to how to heal my relationship with food and my body, and become healthier. And now I'm getting lighter. More importantly still, knowing I can trust my body is so liberating! It's a freedom I've never had before in my life and I love it. Letting go is definitely the key." Lesley, Oldham

"With dieting, my only reward was weight loss. With intuitive eating, I'm rewarded every moment of every day. I'm rewarded when I realise I haven't eaten a morning snack because I just wasn't hungry. I'm rewarded when I share the most delicious ice cream with a friend, and enjoy every mouthful without feeling guilty. I'm rewarded with the freedom of not having to write down every morsel that passes my lips. And I'm rewarded when I realise that that little apple pie is still sitting in my freezer, waiting for me when I'm ready." Brooke, Melbourne, Australia

"I have never before felt this level of choice and control around food and, as a result, my self-esteem has soared, giving me the happiness and energy for life I have craved for such a long time." Louise, Edinburgh
Old 07-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #28  
I will make time!!!

(sorry for the spelling-don't have time to fix)

Thanks for welcoming, Carol and blue.

And blue, don't beat yourself up-we all know how that feels. Just next time allow yourself what you want, just enjoy it slowly and stop eating. Like, to make yourself allittle satisfyed just eat like let's say...chips, eat or let yourself eat maybe a handful and a half, to take your mind off of wanting it. You'll feel better and in control. Then just have alittle of the other treats on the table. And that's it. You'll feel fine. When you just let yourself have enough to get a taste.

So try that next time. or try eating things at the right time, so they don't make you feel icky when you do have a treat.

For me today, I was running late for summer school ( I'm getting ahead) and I couldn't find any carbs out and ready to just grab. So my mom found the last cinimon roll thingy, and I kind of rolled my eyes inside thinking...I'm taking it anyway. This was at 7: 25 in the morning.

But, I didn't beat myself up for it, becuase I like to eat carbs in the morning, my body needs it and it will burn it up happily no problems... to bad.

But then I have something junky I crave or want more, so I had two hashbrowns when I came home, and I barley waited untill I was hungry, then eggs. And then carries. I felt bad, but I was ok, because I let myself. I know it's not that bad, but when your doing good, you get that "oh-no" thought. I CAN really do some damage when I let myself. ( I didn't do that good yesterday either, but I'm still sticking to my guns and if I eat something bad-if I feel hungry later, then I know it was ok for that day, becuase I'll eat again then exercise. To make up. THIS has helped me alot, it works well, keeps me going, and supprisingly, since I'm focused on taking care of my body, not just lossing wieght, it's working for me. )

So to make up for being a wiener, I worked out on the glazel while watching Rocky 4(haha), and walking down to pick up my brother, then walking for 30 minutes.

So I think to help the cravings, let yourself, but try to time it right. When your body wount make you feel discusting.

And also when your with family, maybe make something healthy to eat, drink allot of water and let yourself have a taste. Then you'll get used to it, then worry less-when it's out of your head you'll eat less of it. I think part of eating, comes with wanting satisfying moment that you never quit reach becuase your too focused on eating more. Maybe if we all focused on the first bits and the taste maybe we'll start to feel more satisfyed.

Eventually, you'll be cool about family dinners, and you'll have self controll, becuase when you let your self have some. You'll feel no need to brake and go and throw away your work.

Hope that helps alittle?

and carol, that sounds really good, I think you can change yourself without reading a book or joining something though. becuase it takes you to do it. You can lead a horse to water...

Just make sure your serrounded by healthy foods, that way when temptation comes around, you'll not want to eat to much of it. Or not? But that's my thinking, if your in a good mind-set, you can really do good.

Last edited by SnowWolf; 07-17-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #29  
Intuitive Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
"With dieting, my only reward was weight loss. With intuitive eating, I'm rewarded every moment of every day. I'm rewarded when I realise I haven't eaten a morning snack because I just wasn't hungry. I'm rewarded when I share the most delicious ice cream with a friend, and enjoy every mouthful without feeling guilty. I'm rewarded with the freedom of not having to write down every morsel that passes my lips. And I'm rewarded when I realise that that little apple pie is still sitting in my freezer, waiting for me when I'm ready."
This reminds me of something I saw years ago ... lemme see if it's still out there on the net somewhere ... yep ...

Quote:
Normal eating is going to the table hungry and eating until you are satisfied. It is being able to choose food you like and eat it and truly get enough of it—not just stop eating because you think you should. Normal eating is being able to give some thought to your food selection so you get nutritious food, but not being so wary and restrictive that you miss out on enjoyable food. Normal eating is giving yourself permission to eat sometimes because you are happy, sad or bored, or just because it feels good. Normal eating is mostly three meals a day, or four or five, or it can be choosing to munch along the way. It is leaving some cookies on the plate because you know you can have some again tomorrow, or it is eating more now because they taste so wonderful. Normal eating is overeating at times, feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. And it can be undereating at times and wishing you had more. Normal eating is trusting your body to make up for your mistakes in eating. Normal eating takes up some of your time and attention, but keeps its place as only one important area of your life.

In short, normal eating is flexible. It varies in response to your hunger, your schedule, your proximity to food and your feelings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWolf View Post
I think part of eating, comes with wanting satisfying moment that you never quit reach becuase your too focused on eating more. Maybe if we all focused on the first bits and the taste maybe we'll start to feel more satisfyed.
I think you're absolutely right SnowWolf. There is a whole chapter in the IE book dealing with eating for satisfaction. It plays a very important part of eating intuitively!

Hmmm, this gives me something to think about in a different light. I've always looked at all my excess weight as me overeating because I love food so much (and I do love a wide variety of foods, there's not much out there I won't eat) but in reality, the bulk of my weight came on thru a shift of addictions (from smoking & drinking to eating & dieting). And throughout all those diets I've been on in the past, there wasn't much focus on eating for satisfaction. You had to avoid the real mayo because it had more calories and fat than the real good stuff. Turkey bacon was eaten instead of real bacon because is was supposedly better for you. Low carb bread was eaten instead of the real whole wheat, etc. etc. Even now as I am trying to be carb conscious, I find myself gravitating towards lower carb foods so I can EAT MORE. And that is driving the diet mentality that I'm not truly enjoying every bite so I must somehow make up for it by eating MORE FOOD. Oy! And, as I found out this past weekend, put an assortment of cakes and goodies out in front of me on the table and I'm still like a kid in the candy store.

Well, more to think about. I may just have to fire the carb police after all. Thanks Carol and SnowWolf.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #30  

Blue, the funny thing is I just haven't been very hungry lately, even for sweets. I think it is partly because on vacation it seems you are eating nonstop and also my blood calcium could be going up again which causes that feeling. Summer is rough because I'm not supposed to be in the sun, which causes an over abundance of vitamin D and also the blood calcium going up. There is calcium in most foods so it is hard in the summer to keep it under control without prednisone which I haven't been taking since Jan. Awful stuff except it does keep the calcium down.