Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 11:09 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - June 17, 2002

Hi all. Pretty quiet on the boards today so I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

How was your weekend? It seems I'm having a streak of bad luck as far as health is concerned. The latest is some sort of foot injury which showed up on Friday - no reason that I can think of - and has pretty much curtailed any kind of exercise. I had it looked at last nite and the doctor prescribed an anti-inflammatory which I hope will kick in quickly. DH and I are going to Quebec City for the weekend, and I want to be fully recovered cause we always do a lot of walking when we're there.

Haven't weighed in yet for June but the weeks are flying by and I guess I'll have to pretty soon. I've been able to avoid paying (somehow) for over two years now; just hope I can keep a clean record in that dept. It's always harder when my running program gets curtailed; I'm really feeling the effects of a full week off. I feel bloated, and it's not just cause it's also TOM.

The weather is still the pits here. Cooler than usual and lots of rain. Folks around here are getting pretty fed up.

What's shaking with everyone else?
Old 06-17-2002, 12:54 PM   #2  

Hello!
Hope you foot injury improves, Seasaw - what a bummer when you can't get out to exercise. Exercise can forgive a multitude of extra eating, so I know how you feel when you are unable to do it.

I had a pretty good weekend - DD was with staying with her older sister this weekend (one of DH's kids from 1st marriage), so we had a little time to ourselves. Weather was gorgeous - went to the Farmer's Market Saturday morning - bought some hanging flower baskets for our front porch & some fresh-picked strawberries. Made a couple of pies with the berries. Had a little get-together for Father's Day, so all in all a pretty nice weekend. Ate quite a bit, but managed to get in my exercise to combat the extra calories.

Sunday I leave for a week's worth of training in Phoenix. Hope I don't melt - highs in the low 100s from checking the weather.

Check in with you chicks later!
Old 06-17-2002, 01:19 PM   #3  
si, si signora

hi everyone.

seesaw- yikes, good for going to the doctor and i hope the pills work. Take it easy too.

kt- mmm. strawberries- what kind of pie did you make. Glad to hear you and DH spent some time together.

nothing much here, went to San Diego on Friday night and left early on Sunday. Window shopped, helped my mom make an album of our Italy trip and talked to my dad alot. Spent yesterday at the Farmer's market, cleaning up where DP feared to clean, weeded and went to friends for dinner.

This week is pretty busy. I have to finish off a project before I leave next week and I had a ghastly surprise on the scale, so back to clean living for moi.

I hope everyone else is doing okay. kt- stay cool in Phoenix, I don't care if they say its a dry heat, its still scorching.

lala
the weather wimp
Old 06-17-2002, 01:24 PM   #4  

lala- I was rather ambitious with my pie-making. Planned to make enough crust for 2 strawberry pies, but ended up have 4 crusts, so I made my absolute favorite but worst red light food: French Silk Pie - used the other 2 crusts for those. Strawberry pie is very WW-friendly, but not the French Silk. I make the French Silk quite infrequently, but will literally eat it morning, noon and night until it's gone.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:34 PM   #5  
si, si signora

kt-

I'm going to pick up some strawberries at the Thursday Farmer's Market and do a strawberry tart with a cornmeal crust.

I have to admit to a fondness for no pudge brownies and with sliced strawberries and a bit of ice cream. Its the ice cream that is the bad thing here.

I have one! ripe strawberry in my patch.

lala
Old 06-17-2002, 02:35 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

It's pretty cool here today...only hitting up in the high 60's. The weather over the weekend was cold and damp. Not our typical June weather. They're calling for warmer temps as the week progresses.

Traveled to Canton OH on Saturday for a meeting and had lunch at a German restaurant. Food was good and I'm happy to report I brought half of it back home

Our strawberry patch is yielding lots of fruit...my mom made strawberry jam last evening and I'm sure we'll be putting up lots more before they're done. There's nothing like a strawberry that's been warmed by the sun. Our garden is planted and we've got tomatoes, eggplants, bush cucumbers and some pepper plants. Also have some basil planted. Can't wait for the tomatoes!

Seasaw: Hope the foot starts feeling better! Take it easy and hopefully you'll be able to get lots of walking in over the weekend.

Katie: Stay cool in Phoenix. I never could take the heat and I doubt that even if it's a dry heat that I would fare any better.

Not too much else going on here...feeling sluggish and crampy today...would rather be home curled up with a good book. I'm also itching to get my hair cut...my regular hairdresser had some minor surgery on her hand and I've had to wait...I'm ready to trim it myself. I'm contemplating going back to a shorter style...the back now is kind of wispy and I'm not crazy about it on my neck. Other than that there's not much else happenin' here.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:48 PM   #7  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

Don't you love strawberry season. I just eat them plain right out of the pint container I get at the store. Yummy. And so ww friendly.

Been tough with stress but I've managed to stay OP. Hopefully I can keep it up.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:14 AM   #8  

Hi guys. I think my foot is feeling a little better today but I'm going to resist that evil urge to get out for a "test run" - I know it's too early and I'll do more damage, so gotta sit tight, at least til the weekend.

kt: I don't believe I've ever tasked French Silk pie but I recall others talking about it on this thread (may have been you). There is a recipe in a recent Cooking Light magazine; maybe I'll make it for when my parents visit at the end of the month.

melissa: We must be in the same weather zone. It's heavy fog here this morning. Always something new, but never plain old sunshine and warm temps. Where is summer?

myra, lalala: Don't know if it's due to the cra**y weather, but I haven't seen any strawberries in the market yet. It's so great when they're in season cause they are delish and are not bad for you - a rare occurence.

Our neighbour is in the process of having his back yard dug up to put an extension on the back of his house. Quite a mess back there, and of course it can't help but spill over into our yard as well. It doesn't help that we've had so much rain lately; the equipment is leaving wonderful ruts and gouges everywhere!

Weighed myself at home this morning and I too had a nasty surprise. Guess I'll have to curtail the eating until I can run again
Old 06-18-2002, 07:53 AM   #9  

Height: 6'0"

Default Hello

Seasaw,

I hope you don't mind my joining in--I'm not really lifetime yet, I've got one week on maintenance. This past WI, I had no weight gain or loss and that was fine with me because it was a week of a banquet and dinner out with friends (I guess I made good choices). I am so thrilled that you haven't paid WW dues for 2 years--you're my hero and inspiration. I am so scared about maintaining my weight. How do you ladies do it? I am sticking to my points program.

Sorry about your foot. My husband is a runner, too. He had a stress fracture in December that stopped his running for a few months! Boy, was he depressed. Then he got sick and had to sit on his butt for a couple months. Needless to say, he gained 30 pounds. He joined WW with me and has lost 29 1/2 pounds. He is so happy. He is back to running and training for the Chicago Marathon. Do you run marathons?

Old 06-18-2002, 11:12 AM   #10  

Welcome Domina to the group, and congratulations to both you and your husband on achieving your goals. It sounds like you're doing well on maintenance too.

I have never run a marathon, and I certainly admire your husband for having done so. Before I hurt my foot, I was training for a half-marathon, and I plan to continue with the program just as soon as things are back to normal. I'm fairly new to running (about thee years) but I really like it, and I'm convinced that it is the reason I've been able to keep the weight off after gaining and losing for much of my life.

There is plenty of support on this thread from some really interesting women who share an interest in gardening, food, travel, food, you name it, food, etc. Please join us often - the more, the merrier.

Seasaw (Susan)
Old 06-18-2002, 12:57 PM   #11  

Hello all -

Welcome, Domina , to our happy group. Like Seasaw said, the more the merrier!

I thought I'd post the strawberry pie recipe in case anyone is interested - I got it at a ww meeting. I am thinking it's only about 3 points per piece - I have it calculated at home but can't remember.

Mile High Strawberry Pie

1 baked 9 inch pie shell
1 cup water
2 tbls cornstarch
8-12 packets sugar substitute (like Equal or Sweet & Low)
3- .3 oz (small packages) of fat free strawberry Jello
4 cups strawberries (about 1.5 lbs) sliced and washed

Combine water, cornstarch & sugar substitute. Microwave for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. May want to stir it part way thru - it can get a little gloppy. Add the 3 packages of dry Jello and mix well. Add strawberries to liquid mixture and pour into baked, cooled pie shell. Refrigerate. Serve with fat free Cool Whip (if desired).

Gorgeous weather here today - went for a walk before work. Not much else is going on.

Later,
Old 06-18-2002, 01:03 PM   #12  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Its damp, cool and soon to be thunder showery here. I was going to do a couple of loads of laundry to then hang out on the line. I think not.

Seesaw- please post the recipe. Sounds yummy. I hope your foot is on the mend. Our neighbor took down a huge pacific dogwood yesterday it was soo sad. It must have been 45' and v. old. It unfortunately had been dying for a few years. I shall miss its flowers in the spring. It was quite a loud process that the whole neighborhood participated in.

kt- thanks for the recipe. I will probably do something similiar but use real sugar or splenda. I can't wait for the farmer's market on thursday.

welcome domina. I appreciate your posts on the general boards.

melissa- did you make up your mind on the haircut? I am definitely due and you spurred me to make an appointment. thanks .

Well, nothing much going on here. I gotta get cracking on my Japan planning. I leave in a little over a week. Yikes.

see youse all laters,
lala
Old 06-19-2002, 07:39 AM   #13  

Height: 6'0"

Default Ease My Fears

Thank you, Seasaw, Lalala, and KtMarie for the warm welcome. I am in week 2 of Maintenance and I'm just scared to death. I'm supposed to be increasing my points, but I'm afraid to do so. My first week of maintenance, I stayed the same, but that was because we went to a couple special occasion dinners during the week.

Can you give me some tips?

Actually, I was thinking of losing a couple more "cushion pounds" so that I would be under my goal weight.

My husband is also in maintenance and he keeps losing, so our WW leader actually said, "eat more food." LOL

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:55 AM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone!

Welcome Domina! We always enjoy getting new faces here Maintenance is scary and it's hard to add in extra points. I'm still learning and I've been at goal for 3 years now. One of my tips is to continue to attend meetings and get weighed in weekly. That has been a tremendous help with maintaining my weight loss.

The weather here is finally feeling a little like summer. Yesterday was perfect...in the low 70's and sunny. The temps are going to start climbing and the humidity will be arriving Thurs/Friday. I'm not looking forward to that.

I've been getting to work early and getting out for a walk before I begin working and I enjoy that. I'll definitely have to continue that with the temps getting warm.

Katie: Thanks for the recipe! I have strawberries from my garden that are just asking to be made into a pie!

Seasaw: Hope the foot is feeling better!

Myra: Keep up the good work! It pays off in the end

Lala: You're one step ahead of me...you've got an appointment. I need to get one...my regular hairdresser had some tendon surgery a week or so ago and goes back to have her hand checked but I'm at the point that I just can't wait. My layers are pretty shaggy and I'm tired of having to spend time with my hair in the morning. I like a quick & easy style. I've been putting off going somewhere else but I'm at the point that I need to do something before I take the scissors and start trimming!

I'll check back later after my weekly meeting and let ya know how it went. Have a great morning everyone!
Old 06-19-2002, 12:33 PM   #15  
Thursday Lady

Hello all,
I was just reading threads and saw kt's strawberry pie recipe. I will definitely try it!

How much do y'all pay for strawberries right now? My stores are having them 2 for $4.00 (that's for 1 lb. boxes)

Everyone have a great day!

Tina
140 personal goal
Closed Thread