Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 09:20 PM   #1  
Net browser

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 and 60 year olds #168

Aloha Everybody
I spent a pleasant time today reading all the posts that I missed when I was away. I remember most of what was said, except I forget who said what. I know Maria got herself a job and seems to be having good time with it. Boy that sure didn't take you long to latch onto something. Good for you. I am happy you found a place to live that you like. The condo that we stay in Maui, we had it cleaned only once a week too. The cleaning staff changes the bedding and brings all fresh towels. The rest of the time it's easy to just pop the dishes into the dishwasher after eating, and I think the whole time we were there we only hauled out the vacuum twice, otherwise we just left it for the staff. We really didn't spend that much time in the unit anyway to get it too messy. I checked out the web page on your apt block and it looks good.
Lily it was not as warm in Maui this year as last year. It certainly wasn't cold, but we had a couple of cooler evenings/nights and two days it rained a bit (almost like a fine mist with the sun shinning at the same time. Apparently the weather was really not too good at all in the month of January. They had a lot of rain then.
Going back to Maui again this year felt just like going home. Everything was as we remembered it. There were a couple of new stores built in the last year, a Walmart and a Home Depot.
We made a lot of use of our U-Drive car this year and really drove around the island a lot more. Maui is so small but you only have to drive about 1/2 hr and you feel you have left the island and gone somewhere else. We went to a town called, "Makawao" which is up country, and you really do drive a long way up. In fact you feel your ears pop. LOL There is this quaint little town with very very old little buildings and all kinds of different crafts and art work being sold as well as the usual T-shirts and things. There is also a small glass blowing factory that you can actually watch the fellows as they make these beautiful glass objects which are then sold right there.
We only ate dinner out 7 or 8 times during our stay in Maui and the rest of the time we made use of the huge BBQ provided by our condo right near the ocean. We went to Costco (they had a seafood sale) and we bought giant king crab legs and just had a feast of them. We also bought huge shrimp and lobster tails. We usually BBQ with friends and shared some wine. I might have had a couple of bottles of something called Pina Coloda and a big HORKIN bottle of something called a "Mudsling" (or something like that). That sure was good and went down just like a milkshake. We did go to the Outback rest. and shared a Bloomin onion. It was smaller then the one we got last year. Well....... it seemed smaller. We also might have gone to the Ice Cream Parlour a couple of times. Ok, well maybe more then a couple of times. So, my friends, the story is I came back happy and 10# heavier. (LOL, now I know what that smilie is for). I will just get my act together now that I am home again and get the weight off. ALAS
Now gals I have to tell you that I searched for Tom everywhere and he certainly did not hang out in the same places that I did. I think what might have happened is that he got wind of the fact you gals were setting your sights on Keanu and forgot all about poor old Tom.
I ran into Trudy and her Mom today shopping and could not believe how wonderful her Mom was looking. Needless to say Trudy was looking pretty fine too, but always does. It sure was nice seeing her.
The holiday was just great and I truly hope that we will experience it all over again next year. Oh Maria I met a new friend in Maui who had been there since before Christmas and her kids gave her and her husband a trip to Sydney for a Christmas present. They left Maui and flew to Sydney for 10 days and also saw the gay parade. In Maui the Chinese people put on several shows in celebration of the of the Chinese New Year....the Year of the Horse. A lot of Chinese people were brought into Maui years ago to work the sugar cane plantations.

Peggy you sure get to try some interesting products and get paid well for trying them. I could handle a job like that too.
Well, it was nice talking with you all, see you tomorrow. Night.

Last edited by slavika; 03-11-2002 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:41 PM   #2  

Default I've been checking most of the day....

and yes sure enough when I returned from lunch Slavika was still up and sending a great long post

Sounds like you had a wonderful time and also good to hear that it was as good the second time around. Sometimes when you have had a great holiday and you return again it is not quite as good.
As far as the weather, I am not surprised, we have all been talking about the very strange weather patterns that we all are experiencing in whatever country we are.

Bad luck about the increase in weight, what the heck, you'll have that off in no-time at all, says she still struggling to get to a respectable weight

My day is progressing well and I have found this great web site for quick meals. Each night on TV before the news there is a 5 minute show where they cook their latest recipes.
http://www.foodinaminute.com.au
Just in case any of you are interested.............

Well it was lovely to 'see' you again Slavika and it was good that you hopped in there straight away to start a new thread, saves us working girls. , many thanks!

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 03-07-2002 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:14 PM   #3  
Life Time 2001

Trudy: I watched Survivor when it first came on, but it just never held my interest. DH watches it all the time. Everybody loves it but me.

Maria: Seeing as how you have so much time on your hands at work, will you do my menu for me to? I love fireworks, I bet it was beautiful over the Harbour. Looks like some good recipes on that site, i bookmarked it to check later.

Slavika: Oh.. Makawao was my favorite town! We went to that glass shop to! I was there for ever watching the glass blowing. Thats the town both DH and I feel in love with and started looking at house prices. I would love to live there. ALAS no TOM either. I will find him next time I go.

Well Im one tierd person so Im off to go nite nite. See ya tomorrow!
Old 03-08-2002, 10:36 AM   #4  
Fun Blonde

Slavika - welcome back! You know, I have to live vicariously with you all who are traveling. Told a friend yesterday that I no longer envy people things, but I do envy people traveling. Cannot believe you got out the vacuum cleaner at all, girl. Vacation! Means no vacuum cleaner ever! The little town you founds sounds like a really interesting place. We go to Branson, MO occassionally and love the glass-blowing stuff and the old-type crafts too. Trudy said you were brown as a berry and looked great.

Here we have had the nicest week weather-wise, but coming into the weekend looks like more bad weather. I wish this weather-thing would get straightened out--good weather on the weekend, stormy weather during the week.

Slavika - sleep and get your grandchildren fix in this weekend. I bet they missed their Baba.

All, I have been doctoring my feet and they are almost pretty--almost. Feel much better. Thanks for the suggestions.
Glenda
Old 03-08-2002, 09:41 PM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Talking Welcome Home!

Slavika: Welcome Home Sorry you missed Tom, but it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I keep suggesting a trip to Hawaii, but my dh says that is too long a flight for him. How many hours? Keep us advised on what you do to get rid of those extra lbs. I continue to struggle, up and down.

This has been a busy couple of days. My dh iiis in the hospital with a blood clot in his left leg. He just went for a test and they found it and admitted him right then. I had to find someone to take me to the hospital, since he drove himself, expecting to drive right home. What a surprise! Hopefully he may come home tomorrow, if the blood work seems right. Scary, when one thinks of what could have happened.

Lily: I'm with you- not a Survivor fan at all. There are lots of other things I would prefer, or just to play around on the computer and learn some more stuff.

Glenda: Crazy weather, spring and winter on alternate days. Heard on the weather channel that they think another El Nino is building in the Pacific. What will that do to us all?

Peggy: I keep imagining your arm with spots all over it. Can you see any difference between your two arms?

Maria: You certainly do find some interesting Web sites. Thanks for sending them on to us.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Ann
Old 03-09-2002, 12:32 AM   #6  

Default still no new baby

But the doctor said if she doesn't go in by herself by Monday he will induce. So my Son has made arrangement to take off work for the next 2 or 3 week so he will be around for the home from the hospital time. She is also having her tubes done before she comes home. And so we wait. In a snow storm

Had to cancel my evening meeting yesterday the weather scared me off So I made all the phone calls and headed for home. Wound up cooking supper for DD and DH and 2 grand kids. Meat loaf and baked potatoes (comfort food)

Welcome home Slavika. Sorry you had to return to cold weather. I don't know about Canada but March is our snowiest month and it's proving t be right.

We are getting ready for our short trip to Florida to see DH sister. Also DH says I get to go to Disney World. I'm excited about that. I spent the better part of the month getting Leaders to fill in for me while I am gone. I finally rounded up three leaders who will do my 7 meetings. I'm looking forward to getting a way for a few days. My life is a rat race.

Glenda dry heels and feet I think is the worst part of gettin old . I use a mango goop form the Body Shop. And the file thing.

Well I'm tired I worked my butt off around here today. So i am off to bed . You all have a great weekend.

Karen
Old 03-09-2002, 07:39 AM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Default Where?

Karen: Where do you plan to come in Florida? Don't know how much of Disney World you plan to see, but don't miss Epcot. It is wonderful. My favorite, then animal Kingdom. But I know many who love MGM and Magic Kingdom. Just a matter of person taste I guess. Hope the baby comes before you go south, then you won't be concerned on your vacation.

Hi Trudy: Checked posts again, and you are the Survivor lady. The only one I ever watched was the last one of the very first survivor. Glad to hear that your Mom is doing so well.

Glenda: Glad the heels are well. When your feet hurt you hurt all over.

Hi everyone. This will be a nice Saturday, as possibly my DH will be realeased from the hospital. Then it will be to make him behave and do what the DR. says.

See you later. Ann
Old 03-09-2002, 02:40 PM   #8  
Net browser

Default ..RETIREMENT FROM A CHILD'S POINT OF VIEW

Hi Everybody

Retirement:

After a spring break, a teacher asked her young pupils how they spent

the holidays. One child wrote the following:

"We always used to spend the holidays with Grandma and Grandpa. They

used to live here in a big brick house, but Grandpa got ******ed and

they moved to Arizona. Now they live in a place with a lot of other

******ed people. They live in a cement box and have rocks painted

green, to look like grass. They ride around on big tricycles and wear

nametags because they don't know who they are anymore.

They go to a building called a wrecked center, but they must have got

it fixed, because it is all right now. They play games and do

exercises there, but they don't do them very well. There is a

swimming pool too, but they all jump up and down in it with their hats

on. I guess they don't know how to swim.

At their gate there is a dollhouse with a little old man sitting in

it. He watches all day so nobody can escape. Sometimes they sneak

out. Then they go cruising in their golf carts.

My Grandma used to bake cookies and stuff, but I guess she forgot how.

Nobody there cooks, they just eat out. And they eat the same thing

every night, "Early Birds". Some of the people can't get past the man

in the dollhouse to go out. So the ones who do get out bring food back

to the wrecked center and call it doggie bags but I haven't seen any

dogs.

My Grandma says Grandpa's worked all his life to earn his ******ment

and says I should work hard so I can be ******ed someday too. When I

earn my ******ment I want to be the man in the dollhouse. Then I will

let people out so they can visit their grandchildren.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:16 PM   #9  
Member Florida Chick

Talking This is the Life!

We are enjoying our ******ment. And we are lucky - we don't have any little man in a doll house, so we can escape whenever we want to. :::

Brought my DH home from the hospital this afternoon, elastic stockings and all. Now to make him mind the Dr. Talk to you all later. Ann

p.s. For you cereal lovers, have you tried Kashi Heart to Heart cereal. It is yummy and only 1 point for 3/4 cup. So with milk(skim) and fruit you can have a 3 point breakfast.

Last edited by Lizziepie; 03-09-2002 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2002, 06:03 PM   #10  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Maria Actually this year was the 6th time we have been to Maui in the last 11 years. Sort of in between we have been to Texas (to see my Aunt and Uncle) in a Senior's park much as was discribed in the joke I posted.
We had a great time when we went there. We also went to Ixtapa, Mexico, and to the Dominion Republic. We had a good time on all the holidays. They were all a little bit different but all nice.
Glenda you are right. I don't "NEED" anymore stuff either, but I sure do like to go away. The Dominion Republic was probably the cheapest holiday. It was one of those all inclusive places and I think for the two of us including the airfare it was only $3500.00, in Canadian funds, for 3 weeks. That included, airfare, accomodations, all our meals and our drinks. In US funds that would be around $2200.00, I think.
We went with friends of ours and had a really nice time. Of course I managed to eat like a that time too. YIKES.
Ann does DH have to be on blood thinners for his blood clot? I'm happy he was able to come home. Hospitals, are certainly not a fun place to be. I will check the cereal out next time we go for a shopping trip to the States.
Karen that's nice that you will be
able to get away on a holiday. I have never been to Disney World.
Old 03-10-2002, 12:42 AM   #11  
Life Time 2001

Ann: That is scary. Glad he got released. Now to make him follow DR orders is another thing. Havent had the Heart to Heart Ceral yet. Sounds like I need to try it!

Karen: Well at least you know you will have a new baby by Monday! Bet your excited! Your trip sounds like alot of fun. Never been to Florida. would love to go some time.

Glenda: It was so nice here and then it clouded up and looks like winter again. ALAS... Was ready to pull out the shorts. Now they have to go back.

Slavika: Loved the retirement! Im suprised you have been else where! Thought you always went to Hawaii Ixtapa, Mexico sounds really nice. Suppose to be really pretty there to!

Best get some sleep. DH and I are off for a drive tomorrow. Dont know where yet. Just hope it doesnt rain! Have a great rest of the weekend!

Later!
:sheep:
Old 03-10-2002, 05:28 PM   #12  

G'day everyone,

A cool morning here, shaping up to be a warm day of 28 degrees.

Thanks for the joke Slavika

Ann Pleased your husband is out of hospital again albeit with elastic stockings . This blood clotting is a lot more prevalent than I thought, it seems to be in the news a lot these days.

Lily Mexico always sounds so exciting to me and I would love to go there on a holiday one day.
I have decided I would really like to give big cities the flick. We wanted to go somewhere yesterday, the other side of town and boy was that difficult . We thought we knew how to get there, but it didn't quite turn out that way. Of course I drive on 'gut feeling' (and quite often I am right ) and dh uses the street directory. I cannot read maps so that is why I drive, saves arguments and I just drive where I am told. The problems arise when there is a 'no right turn' (we drive on the left) or a one way street . It was an absolute nightmare.
Sydney being one of the oldest cities in Australia and with very little town planning in the very early days, the streets are very narrow which makes it even more difficult driving a Landrover
Anyway we have survived it again unscathed!
I would hate to think what it would be like to drive in New York. DH wouldn't even attempt to drive in places like India or Hong Kong.

We also had our cholestrol tested in one of those vans that happened to be temporarily parked near where we live, dh was 5.2 and I was 6.4, not fantastic but reasonable. The only concern was my low blood pressure. It is something that I always have, I must check out on the net if there is a way to improve on that.

How are you settling in home again Slavika ? Once everything is unpacked and put away again, it doesn't take long for a holiday to be a nice memory again

I'll check in a little later.
Cheers
Maria

PS Slavika you may have missed it but in one of my posts I posted this great web site for goal setting. I have just been there and refined my goals somewhat whilst there I thought you may find it helpful to get rid of the little weight you gained on your holidays.

http://sparkpeople.com/myspark/index.asp

Some of the other girls have signed up and thought it useful.

Last edited by flaggies; 03-10-2002 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:25 PM   #13  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Before we left on holidays, (like the day before) there appeared to be a very small drip or leak coming from the toilet tank in our main bathroom. As a precation we shut the water off on that toilet. Well when we got home DH turned the water on, and the leak was not LITTLE anymore. DH bought "stuff" and set out to repair it. Well he turned some bolt that bolts the tank to the toilet and the tank cracked. We think it probably did have a very fine crack in it and that's what caused the initial drip. The bathroom fixtures in that bathroom are a gold colour. We went to a second hand salvage store and found a gold tank that matched (sort of) but it didn't have the tank top. Our own tank top is in great shape but didn't fit that second
hand tank. So we decided we would buy a new "bone" coloured toilet and sink and get our existing bathtub reglazed to match. We thought that would be the easy job after we found out we could get the tub glazed. Well none of the big Home Stores carry "bone" coloured toilets in stock.....you have to order it and then they said it would take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to arrive. GRRRRRR Today being Sunday, not all places are open so I will make some calls tomorrow and see if I can't find something. Of course since I am getting a new toilet and sink, I will have to get new shower curtains, window curtains, definately new towels, and will have to repaint the bathroom. The reason I have to repaint the bathroom is because where the old toilet was, we were not able to paint 'BEHIND" the tank so there is this big yucky square on the wall. Very attractive. Of course the new tanks are much smaller so it would show...........So much for a minor home repair job.

Maria thanks for posting the web site for Sparkpeople. I have signed up......I need all the help I can get. You would love Mexico. The only thing, when we went to Ixtapa, we didn;'t find the food to be very good. They don't feed their cattle the same as we do here in Canada and the US, and all the beef, milk, butter etc tasted kind of strange to us. Now things might have changed since we were there. I think the food in the bigger resort area's in Mexico are probably better. They probably bring the meat in. The Mexican people are wonderful and friendly and the children are just as cute as can be.
Lily I noticed since I got home that I can't use my avatar's anymore. Was something changed on the board? Did you enjoy your drive today?
Ann I hope your DH listens to what his docotor told him. Men don't really make very good patients.
Night all. :sheep:
Old 03-10-2002, 10:20 PM   #14  
Life Time 2001

Maria: I dont like big cities either. When we went to Hawaii, we also flew over to Ohau. No way do I have a disire to go back there. There were way to many people. It was pretty and the entire Island was pretty, but just to touristy for my tastes! Im sure there is a way to improve the low blood pressure. Hope you find something on the net to help!

Slavika: Oh what fun to come home to what you did. But now you will have an all new bathroom. Seems with homes nothing is a minor repair. ALAS. They removed that feature due to bandwidth problems. I found out one night when Kyle wanted to come out and say hello. but he couldnt It makes sence though as the pictures do slow the board down and Im sure causes bandwidth problems for them. They do take up alot of space.

Suzanne posted about it here:
Avtars Disabled

Had a nice drive today. We just went up into the hills here and stop at a place for lunch. It did rain a bit but not alot. Did get to go into a few shops and look around. Didnt buy anything which is a first for me

Have a great night all!
Old 03-10-2002, 10:42 PM   #15  

I am back........
It's 2.30 pm Monday afternoon and I knew Slavika and/or Lily would have posted, these two keep very late hours and I do appreciate it

Slavika what a nightmare, there always is something and with house repairs, one thing leads to another and the whole thing becomes a very expensive excercise

Lily thanks for filling us in re the avatars, I didn't realise but I guess it makes sense, I rather have the ability to 'talk' to everyone then to post avatars. The 3 fc do a great job, it must be very time consuming for them.
I don't know if this low blood pressure is anything too serious, I did note from different websites that having low blood pressure is the cause of very little energy. I have to say last week everything was a huge effort but I seem to have a bit more energy now. I'll just see how I go before going to any doctor. It is such a nuisance in a strange city to try and pick a doctor from the yellow pages

See ya all tomorrow
Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread