Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/See Ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Default 100 Calorie packs

Are these a bad idea?

I have a major sweet tooth and that has been my biggest obstacle. I have done really good with my eating, but when I get a craving for something sweet I can't think of anything else. So I bought myself the 100 cal snack packs. I limit myself to one a day. It helps me get through the day, but they are soo good that I feel guilty about having one. Should I?

My husband and I have made this a new lifestyle for us. We ate terribly before. I didn't realize how terrible until I started trying to have us eat right. We are making sure that we are getting fruits and vegetables -- probably not all that we should, but we are incorporating them into our diet. So I don't know why I feel guilty when I eat one of these packs. Now, if I sat down and ate the whole box, that would be good reason. But one 100 calorie snack a day? I do incorporate other snacks as well. Healthy ones, bananas, apples, pretzels, etc, but I gotta have a little chocolate in my day. Am I still going to be able to lose the 50 pounds I need to?
marie8674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #2  
Anime Cat Girl

S/C/G: 255/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

I think it's perfectly ok. That's why I chose to calorie count instead of a more restrictive diet that I'll give up on anyways because I feel like a failure by cheating! Though I've tried those packs and I don't really like any yet. I'd rather have one bite of the real stuff instead of a bunch of diet snacks.
FluffeyNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #3  

OK, on this same topic, what are some good snack ideas? Here are some I have come up with (they're very original I know . Apple with peanut butter, banana, laughing cow light cheese wedge (the 30 calorie ones) and spread them on a pretzel chip, and the 100 calorie snack packs, the weight watchers personal ice cream cups, the sweet tooth you know. I need some good healthy ideas aside from the sweet ones.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #4  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I find that 100 calorie packs are just 100 calories worth of garbage, but it seems you already knew that If you really like them and can limit yourself to one a day I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, but as you keep eating healthier you may find that processed junk doesn't have the same appeal it once did. When I want my chocolate fix, I just have a couple squares of good quality dark chocolate and savor them slowly. Less than 100 cal and scratches my chocolate "itch".

ETA: For non-sweet snacking, hummus with raw veggies (carrots, snap peas, pepper strips, celery, etc) or whole wheat pita is one of my favorites. Or salsa with low-fat baked corn chips.

Last edited by shananigans; 01-23-2008 at 02:05 PM.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #5  

Oh yeah, I like salsa with the baked chips. I have done that too. And yep, I know they are just garbage, but it's a way for me to soothe my sweet tooth - and when the bag is gone, I have to stop. I have changed so many of my ways in the last few weeks so I think I'm doing pretty good if this is the one thing I can't quite change yet. Maybe as I go along I won't need that sweet anymore. I don't care for hummus. But I have done some fat free veggie dip and can handle that with carrots and celery.

Last edited by marie8674; 01-23-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #6  
Go Blue Team!!

S/C/G: 286/159/150

Height: 5'6"

I really like the 100 calorie packs. Sometimes I just really want something to "snack" on. A chunk of dark chocolate just won't do for me because my body still doesn't fully understand eating slowly and savoring. So, the 100 calorie packs are good for tossing in my purse to take to the movies or a quick snack while I'm shopping or something...

Other favorites (most aren't as portable as the 100 calorie packs) are the 100 calorie pieces of cheese (from Borden, I believe...in all sorts of flavors, including pepperjack, my favorite!), single-serving bags of popcorn, an apple cut into wedges and sprinkled with cinnamon, strawberries with chocolate jello pudding, a toasted 100-calorie english muffin with some sugar-free preserves, yogurt (100 cal or less) with 1/2 cup of Fiber One stirred in... I guess most of my snacks gravitate towards my sweet tooth...
scgirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #7  

Oh yes, popcorn is another weakness of mine. I really like it popped in oil and smothered in butter, but I did breakdown and buy an air popper and I put a few sprays of butter on it and supplement the rest with butter flavored sprinkles on the top. That should be ok shouldn't it? I still have so many questions about if I'm doing it right or not. I guess only time will tell.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #8  

They are a waste of time, they are a waste of packaging and they are a waste of money. Buy your favorite snack and portion it out yourself.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieone View Post
They are a waste of time, they are a waste of packaging and they are a waste of money. Buy your favorite snack and portion it out yourself.
Yes, but that's where I run into the problem. I say I'm going to portion it out, and then I don't. So for me, it's easier to have that empty bag and then I know it's time to stop. I guess I just need that reminder.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #10  
Expecting baby #1! 9/7/09

S/C/G: 320.2/273.2/160

As far as for a sweet tooth, Skinny Cow has amazingly good low fat ice cream bars, cone and sandwiches. The sandwiches with vanilla or chocolate ice cream are delicious and only have 140 calories. They are full size too, not just less calories b/c they are small. I keep a pack in the freezer for whenever I have a real chocolate craving. The best thing is I don't have to feel guilty after I eat one! My boyfriend still doesn't know they are low fat/ low calorie!!!
I bring low fat string cheese with Kellogg All Bran Garlic Herb crackers (18 for 120 cals) to work to snack on together. I also bring 1 serving of cottage cheese with fruit sometimes. Or an apple with a slice of cheese.
blueyedlvrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

On average I am not a fan of 100 calorie packs. If you rely on them too much then you really are not focusing on eating healthy foods.

That being said, they can have their place. There are some foods that you might crave and very much enjoy but don't trust yourself with. Let's say potato chips. 100 calories packs are a good way to incorporate those foods (not always but on occasion) and still maintain control over the portion.

For me the only 100 calorie item that I tend to keep in my house is the 100 calorie ice cream bars.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 PM   #12  
Get Through The Moment

S/C/G: 227/218/140

Height: 5'4.5

Personally I like them for when I am craving certain things... LOL however I do agree with the choc itch
goodbyethighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #13  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

For sweet but healthy, freeze a banana - it's creamy and sweet like ice cream! And the less ripe it is when you freeze it, the more it will taste like vanilla instead of banana (basically the flavor is just less intense when it's less ripe).
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 149/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie8674 View Post
Yes, but that's where I run into the problem. I say I'm going to portion it out, and then I don't. So for me, it's easier to have that empty bag and then I know it's time to stop. I guess I just need that reminder.
Baby steps! I bet there will come a time when you will portion them out yourselves or not eat it at all. There's no reason for you to feel guilty about eating a 100 cal pack. You're staying on-plan right?

Dieting isn't punishment! Do what works for you and what keeps you within your calorie range.

My snacks are usually:
- grapefruit
- some sort of cottage cheese concoction - like avocado + cc or grape tomatoes + cc, or sugar free jello with cottage cheese added
- 2 wasa crackers with a wedge of laughing cow cheese
- large green apple - takes awhile to eat those... and depending on how big - 100 - 150 cals
- 1 oz almonds (160 cals)
- sugar free, fat free chocolate pudding sometimes with a sliced banana, sometimes without
- homemade cappucino using 1/4 to 1/2 cup skim milk and some daVinci sugar free vanilla syrup

There are soooo many things! Keep trying different things and you may run across a healthier alternative that you like even better than the 100 cal packs

Last edited by Tamsie; 01-24-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Tamsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #15  
It's me!

S/C/G: 197/166/140

Height: 5'4

I love the 100 calorie packs, for me they are a treat when I'm on the run. I always have a pack in my purse, so that if I get hungry and I'm not at home I won't cheat.
Zuleka is offline   Reply With Quote