Old 01-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Question do you take vitamins?

I was just wondering about vitamins. I have to say, I've NOT took them more than I have in my life. And I was wondering what any of you take or your favorites, I was thinking the women's one a day or any multi vitamin,and another question, I heard on the news that green tea is good to help get rid of water and my chiropractor told me a few years back that vitamin B6 or B12 is good also(if you retain water) but I can't remember which,Do any of you know? He said I would lose up to 14 lbs in just water by taking them.Any comments ,suggestions? Thanks
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

B vitamins are really important, and I do take them. I'm not sure, but I think the claim of 14 lbs. loss due to taking vitamins is way hyped up. Sounds to good to be true, doesn't it?

You could start by just taking a good multi. You will get your B vitamins with that.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I don't take any. I know lots of people who take a quality multivitamin, but I keep a pretty close eye on my vitamins in FitDay and don't have any glaring deficiencies, so I don't bother.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #4  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I take a multi-vitamin, and calcium (doctor's orders). I also take salmon oil and flax oil - as I never eat fish (can't choke it down).
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I don't take any either, Amanda. I thought I'd be the only one. I figure that if I eat a balanced and varied diet, it should all work out in the long run.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 365/355/150

Height: 5"4

I was wondering about taking some kind of vitamin and was not sure what a good one to go with was. So if you find one please share what you went with.
SunShineGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

My body can't handle "hard" vitamins. I prefer taking a liquid multi, but lately I've been taking a chewable since I can't find my old brand of liquid anymore (we moved.)

I also take a fish oil supplement. I do eat fish as well, but it can be pricey to eat it often enough to reap the benefit.

For some people it may be true that a varied diet can provide you with enough vitamins, but I've never had a good immune system and I feel my supplements help me in that area.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 PM   #8  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

I use a multi as a precaution (I use country life and really like it). Even with my best effort to eat a well balanced diet, the nutritional value of fresh food is dropping so significantly due to nutrient deficiencies in soil that a multi is a good safe back up.
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I eat a fairly balanced varied diet so I don't feel it is necessary to take a multivitamin. Since I don't eat any animal products, I do take a B complex vitamin (multiple types of B vitamins) which contains B-12 the vitamin that is needed if you don't eat animal products.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'0"

I do not eat a fairly well balanced diet (yet!) but I do take vitamins. In the summer I take only a women's multivitamin and vitamin E. In the winter I add 1000mg of vitamin C to the mix.

I take vitamin C because it seems to prevent illness. In the early winter I have allergies and lots of post-nasal drip which eventually aggravates everything into a full blown cold which then matures into bronchitis. A doctor recommended I take 1500mg a day to try to deal with it. So I did. The vitamin C seemed to keep the problems down to post nasal drip.

I take the vitamin E because I have noticed my fingernails are much stronger when I take it. I can't grow my nails out for the world if I don't take.

I take the multivitamin because why not? I know my diet isn't balanced (yet!), so it surely cannot hurt. I cut it in half and take one half with breakfast and one half with dinner.
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

I take a multi-vitamin for seniors (has no iron) as well as a calcium+d supplement. Not surprisingly, a lot of Alaskan adults are vitamin d deficient (kids get it in their milk).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:02 AM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I eat a pretty balanced diet but I don't eat very much. Right now, I'm limiting myself to 1200 calories per day. I never used to take a multi-vitamin, but at this calorie level I do worry about getting enough nutrients. Last winter I was sick several times with horrible colds/flus. They really knocked me out, it took me a long time to recover from them, and it seemed like I got sick a lot. That level of illness is very unusual for me. I rarely get sick. Prior to that, I had gone a year and a half without a single sniffle. Stuff would go around the office, everyone else would get it, not me.

Given my experience last winter I decided that with the amount of exercise I do and the restricted diet, maybe a multi-vitamin wouldn't be such a bad idea. I started taking a multi-vitamin last March (I also got a flu shot in November). I went from March to December without an illness, but did catch a bad cold in December (but I was working in close proximity for two days with the person who gave it to me, so I'm not sure my multi-vitamin can be blamed for not warding it off). I also caught something last week, but so far it has been very mild, nothing like the stuff I had last winter. I can't really say the multi-vitamin is working, but I can't say it isn't working either; in any event, I figure it's not hurting so I'm going to keep taking it.

I also take vitamin C and have taken it for years. I take extra when I travel or if I'm exposed to sick people (like if something is going around the office). The first year I traveled for work, I wasn't taking it and was sick as a dog all the time. Then I started taking vitamin C and it did seem to help, but again it's hard to know for sure. I also think I developed an immunity to the stuff you get when you travel and I quit smoking somewhere in there, which most certainly impacted my body's resistance to illnesses.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 314/215/135

Height: 5'4

I did the woman's one a day weight smart I really liked it I need 2 get back on it,
its my time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:56 AM   #14  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

I'm currently taking One A Day Weight Smart. I figure what could it hurt, it has 100% of the main vitamins you need.

Those I do need to get something with Omega 3...I hate fish :X
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #15  

Height: 5 feet 11 inches

no i dont but i know i should!!! not that many healthy choice on campus
sugarcoatit07 is offline   Reply With Quote