Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions - just a few ??'s

View Full Version : just a few ??'s

beckaboo1
10-08-2007, 04:12 PM
ok, so im starting over again. i am proud to say that i am just now starting to gain some weight after 2years of losing weight and keeping it off. i need to get back down to what i was and more.

so, i wanted to know, what do you all do about snacks?? i know i should preplan my meals...works well for me. does anyone have any good sites that have really easy and good low carb recipes??

other than that, im excited, but at the same time....im afraid that i will do what i always do and quit. it was so easy the first time, so i guess i need to use that and build off of it. i just need support...so if anyone is just starting and needs a partner.......HERE AM I!!!

Azure
10-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Linda's Low Carb has some good recipes :) http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

Personally, I'm at a "keep it simple" stage of my diet, so I'm not too into new recipes right now. I don't really snack at this point, though. I eat 4 times a day and most meals average out around 350 each (give or take), to come out at 1500 cals total for my day.

JerseyGyrl
10-08-2007, 06:29 PM
:wel3fc:Beckaboo1

The website Azure recommended in my opinion, has some of the best low carb recipes on the net.

When you get discouraged...this of this..."If You Do What You Always Did...You'll Get What You Always Got!":carrot:

You CAN do this!!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim

Shy Moment
10-08-2007, 06:34 PM
I am just curious, since I don't really count anything just have a basic plan of what I should be takeing in. How much carbs are allowed on low carb?

vixjean
10-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi and welcome, nice to meet someone my height, and I am also trying to lose 50 lbs too. I know very little about good nutrition, but I used to be a fitness professional and know a lot about working out. Hit me up w/ those questions anytime, GOOD LUCK GIRL! We WILL be here for you.

Shy Moment
10-08-2007, 06:43 PM
vix
We little people get overlooked lol. My hubby is a foot taller than I am. When I am telling him something for his own good lol. He says I know I hear something comeing from below me, but it is just to far away to hear good enough to understand lol.

vixjean
10-08-2007, 06:46 PM
hahahah that is hillarious girl!!!!
rennie- as for low carb, check some eating guidelines for diabetics;
My BF has a guide of 15 carb POINTs @ day;
15 carbs = 1 carb POINTs,
so when you go to TGIF's they will tell you how many carb points are in each meals.

Shy Moment
10-08-2007, 07:04 PM
I am allowed 210 the doc gave me some rough ( she said very very rough guide lines ) said I could go a little over or a little under shouldn't matter. I don't worry about it to much but like i said fit day is fun to use so I have started putting everything in ( i use the information off all foods not fit days information for foods ).

Azure
10-08-2007, 07:38 PM
It depends on what "Low Carb" plan you follow. I'm on Atkins and it's 20 carbs per day for the first two weeks of Induction, then you add back in 5 carbs per week to see where your carb level for weight loss is. So, for the first two weeks, it'd be 20/day, the third week 25/day, etc.

Shy_Moment-- I don't really think that 210g of carbs a day is Low Carb (that's 60% of your calories from Carbohydrates, which I think is the USDA's reccomendations).

Atkins is extremely low carb (anything under 50g/day is considered very low), but there are other diets that are considered low carb at 20-30% of calories from carbs/day. Atkins for me has me at about 6% of my daily calories from carbs during Induction (and my current calorie level, which is 1500), and I'll probably never be eating (even in maintenance) at above 20% of my calories from carbs (maintenance calorie level for me is about 1800, so that's 90g/day).

Hope that wasn't too many numbers being bandied around?

Shy Moment
10-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh I didn't mean it was low carb. I was just curious what was considered low carb.

It ends up being 15% of my calories 210/1400 15% or so this is how she explained it to me. She said I could go as high as 20% as long as I was still loseing weight. I am sure that is not how you are supose to measure it but that was how she told me to do it if I wanted to have a quick count. Thank heavens I don't count stuff. That would make me crazy lol

Azure
10-08-2007, 08:07 PM
I think that "Low Carb" is anywhere from 1-30% of calories from Carbs.

"Moderate Carb" would be 30-50% of calories from carbs.

And the "reccomended" amount (the USDA) is 60% calories from carbs.

At least, that's what I gather from different things I've read. It's pretty vague. ;) Someone can correct me if they've got some more solid numbers.

Shy Moment
10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
I am sure you are correct. I have no idea lol. Thanks for the information.

Puncezilla
10-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Welcome Bakaboo!! Congrats on your loss so far and keeping it off! Come join us in the chat threads for lots of support and encouragement.

beckaboo1
10-08-2007, 10:12 PM
thanks for the encouragement :hug::hug:

im gonna try this time. i can do this!!

thanks yall...i did really well today. i even ate healthy for dinner. i had a small snack at night (low carb), but i had eaten my dinner at like 4pm.

NickieMig
10-15-2007, 02:49 PM
HI! I just started this atkins thing 3wks, 2days ago.... I've gone from 190 to 178 lbs already.... I'm wondering how long it's taken you to lose as much as you have so far.... also, I can't seem to find info on whether our menstrual cycle affects the weight loss and how much... I've only lost about 3 lbs in almost 10 tens and I started my period yesterday, so I can't figure out if the week before and during my period are going to stall progress. What are your thoughts? It sucks to think I'll only lose weight two weeks a month and be at a standstill the other two! Thanks for your help! Nickie

beckaboo1
10-16-2007, 08:47 PM
nickie,
i do know that eating low carb can affect your cycle. for me, when i eat all kinds of BAD foods, my cycles are out of wack.

i was well over 200pds and couldnt figure out why my cyles were so irregular. it was like that for years and my doctors would tell me to lose weight, but i didnt listen. when i did start losing weight, my cycles regulated on their own. i have been regular for about a year or so. so it will help. look up " insulin resistant" and " pcos". not eating healthy affects your hormones, but eating healthy, straigtens them out.

congrats on the weight loss :D:D:carrot:...keep me posted on your weight after your cycle. you should lose some more.

Diva
10-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Hi everyone!

I stumbled on a Atkins success story today and started reading the book. I am pretty sure this is the way I wanna go, but I'll finish the book first to be certain.

Anyway's I just wanted to say hello. Any tips, and menu ideas for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Are the Advantage bars good substitution for choc cravings? Also, I keep seeing people saying come over to the Atkin's forum or whatnot, but where in the world is it? LOL! I've looked and looked. :D

salsa sarah
10-30-2007, 04:44 AM
welcom
If you have never done this diet befor prepare to be amazed
alot of people do very well on this diet and loose wait very fast
be prepared for the first week though
it will be the werst
You will have so many cravings and some people literaly go through carb and suger withdrawls
I did but after 3 days I was feeling grate
I think you can do great on this diet
be prepared for everyone and there mother to tell you its a bad idea though
adkins has realy gotten a bad rep
but dont let it get to you after 2 weeks and 5lbs lost you will feel amazing
and the best part you wont ever have to be hungry on this diet
and after a wiel your apitite will srink to the point you have to remind yourself to eat
sorry I babled so much
good luck ok

JerseyGyrl
10-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Are the Advantage bars good substitution for choc cravings?

Stay far away from the Atkins Advantage bars!! I know the website & the actual bars themselves say they are "appropriate for Induction"....however, they are NOT! If you pick one up & read the label, its very confusing to most people. For example, the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor, the total carbs is 22, there are 10 grams of fiber...this would make the net carb count 12. The wrapper says 2 net carbs:?::?::?: The label also says 0 grams of sugar alcohol. What the wrapper does not tell you is, they are deducting Glycerine...and guess what Glycerine is....yup, its a SUGAR ALCOHOL!!! They also contain soy, milk & peanuts....none of those ingredients are on the acceptable foods list for Induction.
These bars may be ok for an emergency, when you don't have access to something low carb...but...you are much better off staying away from them & eating real, unprocessed foods.

All the best to you!!

Kim

Puncezilla
10-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Diva, the atkins forum is called "low carb lifestyles" and is in the diet central section. We have a new chat thread the every week, most of us are atkins and a few have other Lowcarb plans.
My cravings are pretty much gone after the first week, but I love chocolate and eat the lindt 85% chocoleate as a treat, also Hot water with heavy cream and carb free chocolate syrup is good, or a little whipp cream with cf chocolate syrup.

Diva
10-30-2007, 03:38 PM
K, I have been asking questions and doing some research on my own. There are a lot of peeps who strongly disagree with the Atkins thing. That plan recommends we only consume 20 a day at first and then slowly add back in 5 more a day and so on.
This site: http://www.netrition.com/rdi_page.html

Is Based on a 2000 Calorie Intake and they recommend 300 grams daily. I am wondering if I keep my carbs down to the healthy ones..fruit and veggies and of course my Special K and keep it below 150 (or less) if it would work for me? I guess all I can do is try. I think I wanna 'try" and follow Atkins, but not so strictly and to the point of making myself sick or withdrawing yanno? It would be hard to cut out breads, pastas and whatnot, but I'll get over it, LOL! I'm thinking all things white need to go. I'm Diabetic anyways, so that can only help, but I also think apples, and whole grain cereal's and oatmeal would be alright. I just think we all gotta find what works for us, much like Amanda (mandalinn82) did. Did you all read her story in the Oct 30th Woman's World mag?

JerseyGyrl
10-30-2007, 05:51 PM
K, I have been asking questions and doing some research on my own. There are a lot of peeps who strongly disagree with the Atkins thing. That plan recommends we only consume 20 a day at first and then slowly add back in 5 more a day and so on.
This site: http://www.netrition.com/rdi_page.html

Is Based on a 2000 Calorie Intake and they recommend 300 grams daily. I am wondering if I keep my carbs down to the healthy ones..fruit and veggies and of course my Special K and keep it below 150 (or less) if it would work for me? I guess all I can do is try. I think I wanna 'try" and follow Atkins, but not so strictly and to the point of making myself sick or withdrawing yanno? It would be hard to cut out breads, pastas and whatnot, but I'll get over it, LOL! I'm thinking all things white need to go. I'm Diabetic anyways, so that can only help, but I also think apples, and whole grain cereal's and oatmeal would be alright. I just think we all gotta find what works for us, much like Amanda (mandalinn82) did. Did you all read her story in the Oct 30th Woman's World mag?

Unfortunately, those same people who strongly disagree with Atkins, are the same people who have never taken the time to sit down & read the book to educate themselves exactly how & why it works. If you ask the average person what they feel Atkins is...their response is typically usually that its an "unhealthy" plan that promotes eating excessive amounts of fat. This could not be further from the truth. The initial plan (Induction) allows 20 grams of carbs per day....HOWEVER, 12-15 of those 20 daily carbs should be coming from vegetables & salad. Atkins is healthy when it is done CORRECTLY. I can assure you, I have been doing Atkins for 3 & a half years and I have not made myself sick. If anything, I am healthier now than I've ever been in my life.

You may want to read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and educate yourself about the plan & decide if this is a way of eating you can do for the rest of your life.

All the best to you!!

aud
11-01-2007, 03:30 AM
. . . Also, I keep seeing people saying come over to the Atkin's forum or whatnot, but where in the world is it? LOL! I've looked and looked . . .

Hiya diva & All!:welcome3:

Here's a link to where we're chatting in the latest LC Weekly Chat:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125974

Diva
11-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Thank you very much. :)

aud
11-05-2007, 12:50 AM
November 5 thru 11/11 LC Chat starting up: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126484

mesorah
11-19-2007, 09:39 AM
I think that "Low Carb" is anywhere from 1-30% of calories from Carbs.

"Moderate Carb" would be 30-50% of calories from carbs.

And the "reccomended" amount (the USDA) is 60% calories from carbs.

At least, that's what I gather from different things I've read. It's pretty vague. ;) Someone can correct me if they've got some more solid numbers.

Can someone help the "math challenged" (i.e. me) figure out how many grams of carbs would equap about 30% from carbs, if I eat 1800 cal per day? Thanks so much!

weesie1244
04-09-2008, 02:02 PM
hi, I'mhaving trouble losing weight been doing ww for 2 weeks, and my weight's not budging at all,i think maybe due to menopause, so i tried atkin's a few years ago without any sucess, Can someone post a menu to gt me started and also, should i count calories,i know your not opposed to but i need to ask? I need to lose 50lbs please help!

I'm from Pittsburgh pa, i despartley need help:mad::(

JerseyGyrl
04-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Have you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution? In the meantime, you may want to have a look at the following links:http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases/phase-one/the-rules-of-induction/
http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases/phase-one/acceptable-foods/

My DBF is from Pittsburgh! GO STEELERS!!!!::carrot:

weesie1244
04-11-2008, 07:16 AM
:dizzy::carrot::)Hi Jersey girl, thanks for helping me, i need all the support i can get.I will checkout the links you postd for me .thankyou

Steelers are great!

JerseyGyrl
04-11-2008, 11:30 AM
You're very welcome! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

GO STEELERS!!!