Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #1  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Red face Getting closer to accepting...

that my body is IR or IR destined and PCOS and that I really would do best on a lower carb lifestyle. I have the carb addictions, I was dx'd PCOS as a young woman. And was a gestational diabetic with my pregnancies.

I already know I do better and feel better when I do not eat hi-test carbs. I am now looking at my daily plate break downs over the last few weeks. It seems I eat b/w 115-178gms of carbs on my low carb days!!

I am calorie counting and find this to be an extremely effective tool for weight loss.

My questions are these:
1. Other than induction (20g), what is the goal carb count for weight loss on any low carb diet?

2. When calorie counting do I also factor in carb counts?

I know these answers are out there and I'm sorry to be redundant, but I think this might be part of my "process".

Thanks for your patience. I appreciate any/all input.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #2  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Well, there is definitely more than one way to do low carb. Atkins is the one with 20g net carbs per day for induction, then it works up in phases. South Beach Diet (also low carb), has a 2-week first phase but no specific carb counts (though the first 2 weeks are likely just as ketogenic as the Atkins Induction). Then there are more moderate ones like The Zone, which tout a 40% of your daily intake from carbs per day (40/30/30 ratio).

My suggestion would be to Google information on some Low Carb diets, check out what the phases look like (especially the maintenance phase) and see which one sounds right for you. I'm personally an Atkins girl--I like that the phases gradually build the carb count, so you can find your "Critical Carb Level for Losing" and eventually, your maintenance-level carbs. When you figure out which one sounds right for you, I'd pick up the book and give it a read. I think it's helpful to know why low carb diets work, especially if you're going to be on one for the rest of your life!

I think that everyone's "ideal" carb intake varies wildly--it depends on your metabolism and how active you are, so it's something you'll probably have to figure out as you go along. SBD and Atkins don't require calorie counting as a part of the diet, but I do count mine using FitDay PC. I count both calories and carbs, and I like knowing where I'm at. So far, this is working out very well for me. I wish you all the best and feel free to join in the weekly LC chat!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #3  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Can you believe I've already read SBD and Atkins? The books are in my house. Let me get them and reread them. I have this idea that I can combine locarb diets and come up with one that suits my lifestyle-- is that too ambitious?
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #4  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

HI kittycat! Thats great that you've read both books, It may be hard to combine both diets but you can always try. Everyone is different so making your own plan is good if it works. It will just take a little experamenting to see what work for you.

I've rear both books and tried both diets and I prefered atkins, it fit my lifestyle better and was easier for me to stick to. But I think both are really good. Any diet that restricts simple carbs is going to benifit you. Good luck with whatever plan you chose and Let us know how it goes.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote