Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 200

Height: 4""11

Default hey

nickie,
i do know that eating low carb can affect your cycle. for me, when i eat all kinds of BAD foods, my cycles are out of wack.

i was well over 200pds and couldnt figure out why my cyles were so irregular. it was like that for years and my doctors would tell me to lose weight, but i didnt listen. when i did start losing weight, my cycles regulated on their own. i have been regular for about a year or so. so it will help. look up " insulin resistant" and " pcos". not eating healthy affects your hormones, but eating healthy, straigtens them out.

congrats on the weight loss ...keep me posted on your weight after your cycle. you should lose some more.
beckaboo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #17  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Hi everyone!

I stumbled on a Atkins success story today and started reading the book. I am pretty sure this is the way I wanna go, but I'll finish the book first to be certain.

Anyway's I just wanted to say hello. Any tips, and menu ideas for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Are the Advantage bars good substitution for choc cravings? Also, I keep seeing people saying come over to the Atkin's forum or whatnot, but where in the world is it? LOL! I've looked and looked.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:44 AM   #18  
sarah250

S/C/G: 250/246/170

Height: 5'6

welcom
If you have never done this diet befor prepare to be amazed
alot of people do very well on this diet and loose wait very fast
be prepared for the first week though
it will be the werst
You will have so many cravings and some people literaly go through carb and suger withdrawls
I did but after 3 days I was feeling grate
I think you can do great on this diet
be prepared for everyone and there mother to tell you its a bad idea though
adkins has realy gotten a bad rep
but dont let it get to you after 2 weeks and 5lbs lost you will feel amazing
and the best part you wont ever have to be hungry on this diet
and after a wiel your apitite will srink to the point you have to remind yourself to eat
sorry I babled so much
good luck ok
salsa sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #19  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Are the Advantage bars good substitution for choc cravings?

Stay far away from the Atkins Advantage bars!! I know the website & the actual bars themselves say they are "appropriate for Induction"....however, they are NOT! If you pick one up & read the label, its very confusing to most people. For example, the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor, the total carbs is 22, there are 10 grams of fiber...this would make the net carb count 12. The wrapper says 2 net carbs The label also says 0 grams of sugar alcohol. What the wrapper does not tell you is, they are deducting Glycerine...and guess what Glycerine is....yup, its a SUGAR ALCOHOL!!! They also contain soy, milk & peanuts....none of those ingredients are on the acceptable foods list for Induction.
These bars may be ok for an emergency, when you don't have access to something low carb...but...you are much better off staying away from them & eating real, unprocessed foods.

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #20  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Diva, the atkins forum is called "low carb lifestyles" and is in the diet central section. We have a new chat thread the every week, most of us are atkins and a few have other Lowcarb plans.
My cravings are pretty much gone after the first week, but I love chocolate and eat the lindt 85% chocoleate as a treat, also Hot water with heavy cream and carb free chocolate syrup is good, or a little whipp cream with cf chocolate syrup.

Last edited by Puncezilla; 10-30-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #21  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Red face

K, I have been asking questions and doing some research on my own. There are a lot of peeps who strongly disagree with the Atkins thing. That plan recommends we only consume 20 a day at first and then slowly add back in 5 more a day and so on.
This site: http://www.netrition.com/rdi_page.html

Is Based on a 2000 Calorie Intake and they recommend 300 grams daily. I am wondering if I keep my carbs down to the healthy ones..fruit and veggies and of course my Special K and keep it below 150 (or less) if it would work for me? I guess all I can do is try. I think I wanna 'try" and follow Atkins, but not so strictly and to the point of making myself sick or withdrawing yanno? It would be hard to cut out breads, pastas and whatnot, but I'll get over it, LOL! I'm thinking all things white need to go. I'm Diabetic anyways, so that can only help, but I also think apples, and whole grain cereal's and oatmeal would be alright. I just think we all gotta find what works for us, much like Amanda (mandalinn82) did. Did you all read her story in the Oct 30th Woman's World mag?

Last edited by Diva; 10-30-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #22  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
K, I have been asking questions and doing some research on my own. There are a lot of peeps who strongly disagree with the Atkins thing. That plan recommends we only consume 20 a day at first and then slowly add back in 5 more a day and so on.
This site: http://www.netrition.com/rdi_page.html

Is Based on a 2000 Calorie Intake and they recommend 300 grams daily. I am wondering if I keep my carbs down to the healthy ones..fruit and veggies and of course my Special K and keep it below 150 (or less) if it would work for me? I guess all I can do is try. I think I wanna 'try" and follow Atkins, but not so strictly and to the point of making myself sick or withdrawing yanno? It would be hard to cut out breads, pastas and whatnot, but I'll get over it, LOL! I'm thinking all things white need to go. I'm Diabetic anyways, so that can only help, but I also think apples, and whole grain cereal's and oatmeal would be alright. I just think we all gotta find what works for us, much like Amanda (mandalinn82) did. Did you all read her story in the Oct 30th Woman's World mag?

Unfortunately, those same people who strongly disagree with Atkins, are the same people who have never taken the time to sit down & read the book to educate themselves exactly how & why it works. If you ask the average person what they feel Atkins is...their response is typically usually that its an "unhealthy" plan that promotes eating excessive amounts of fat. This could not be further from the truth. The initial plan (Induction) allows 20 grams of carbs per day....HOWEVER, 12-15 of those 20 daily carbs should be coming from vegetables & salad. Atkins is healthy when it is done CORRECTLY. I can assure you, I have been doing Atkins for 3 & a half years and I have not made myself sick. If anything, I am healthier now than I've ever been in my life.

You may want to read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and educate yourself about the plan & decide if this is a way of eating you can do for the rest of your life.

All the best to you!!

Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 AM   #23  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
. . . Also, I keep seeing people saying come over to the Atkin's forum or whatnot, but where in the world is it? LOL! I've looked and looked . . .
Hiya diva & All!

Here's a link to where we're chatting in the latest LC Weekly Chat:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125974
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #24  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Thank you very much.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:50 AM   #25  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

November 5 thru 11/11 LC Chat starting up: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126484
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #26  

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I think that "Low Carb" is anywhere from 1-30% of calories from Carbs.

"Moderate Carb" would be 30-50% of calories from carbs.

And the "reccomended" amount (the USDA) is 60% calories from carbs.

At least, that's what I gather from different things I've read. It's pretty vague. Someone can correct me if they've got some more solid numbers.
Can someone help the "math challenged" (i.e. me) figure out how many grams of carbs would equap about 30% from carbs, if I eat 1800 cal per day? Thanks so much!
mesorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #27  

Unhappy menu problems

hi, I'mhaving trouble losing weight been doing ww for 2 weeks, and my weight's not budging at all,i think maybe due to menopause, so i tried atkin's a few years ago without any sucess, Can someone post a menu to gt me started and also, should i count calories,i know your not opposed to but i need to ask? I need to lose 50lbs please help!

I'm from Pittsburgh pa, i despartley need help
weesie1244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #28  
Larry's Angel

Have you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution? In the meantime, you may want to have a look at the following links:http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...-of-induction/
http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...eptable-foods/

My DBF is from Pittsburgh! GO STEELERS!!!!:

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-09-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #29  

Red face atkins diet

Hi Jersey girl, thanks for helping me, i need all the support i can get.I will checkout the links you postd for me .thankyou

Steelers are great!
weesie1244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #30  
Larry's Angel

You're very welcome! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

GO STEELERS!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-11-2008 at 12:30 PM.