Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default *****BFL & Bowflex???****

Hey all,

I am just starting BFL, and I have a bowflex. Eventually I will get free weights, but as of right now, I can't afford it...

My question is has anyone done the BLF weight program w/ a bowflex? I'm trying to 'convert' the exercises in the bfl book w/ the ones in the bowflex manual.

I looked around online, and even though I know that people who do BFL on a bowflex exist, I couldn't find any of thier programs/plans.

I'm psyched to start this program, I really like the whole approach, but I also want to get the best start on it that I can.
Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!!

Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #2  
Mel

IMO, you can do BFL with just about any equipment. The real key is the triad of resistance training, cardio and proper nutrition. Just make sure that you are working the right muscles and at a proper intensity for you!

Let us know how you are doing

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #3  

Thank you for your kind words. BFL seems actually pretty easy as long as you stick with it. One carb, one protein, some veggies, it's kind of fool proof. One of my friends is doing it, but sometimes he has some carbs or proteins that's not on the actual list, like string cheese, but he's been having great results. The only thing I'm figuring out now is the cardio. I normally do work out dvd's, but in those, our 'peaks and valleys' are figured in for you. Even though I"m looking for a used stationery bike, treadmill, or elliptical, I think jumping rope would work,too. I'm not good at it, but that's not the point. With that type of activity, I think it'll be easier to push myself than with, say, walking...
Old 07-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Optical -- I love BFL too and eat mostly that way now all the time ... 5-6 small meals with a portion of protein and carb at each meal... Just be careful with the free day, that day, if you really go wild could make all that hard work worth nothing... I would recommend that you not do the whole day free, but have a special treat or meal on that day...

Good luck and do keep us posted on your progress...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #5  
Mel

Ugh, I forgot about free day! I really second Ilene's suggestion Free day was a disaster for me and triggered a binge eating disorder that I thought I'd beat 20 years ago. Be very careful of the "free day" mentality and just build in a good meal, IMO

Mel
Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #6  

That free day is a dangerous concept. Today I ate a protien mrp bar that was chocolate. It's one of the EAS ones. If I have those once in awhile it'll help with any chocolate cravings. Once in awhile I'll eat nuts or peanut butter, too as a desert once in awhile since it's fatty...
So far I really like this way of eating. I"ve even found that I found a yogurt flavor I like, and that v8 splash is good.

I've decided that as far as the free day is concerned, I'm going to use it for a special meal, like Chinese or one thing from Dairy Queen or Culvers...
I think there's also a body for life cookbook out there, I'm going to check that out tomorrow...

Thanks for all the help and support. I almost feel compelled to get a swimsuit so I can get my before pictures. I feel/felt wierd about having my husband take the picture, but it's not like anything he hasn't seen...
tomorrow's my first upper body day. I'm excited.
Thanks again for all the help..!!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Please do take pictures, because sometimes just when you think there is no progress, because the evil scale hasn't budged, take another picture and you'll probably see a difference...
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

There's also a BFL journal available that you can record your progress in. Here's a pic secret - take a picture of your image in a mirror. You stand in front of mirror, aim the camera at the mirror and you can still see in the LCD panel on the back (digital), and voila, a self-serve pic.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #9  

I bought a jump rope today, and realized how bad I am at it. I trip up and fall a lot. What do other people use as thier cardio? I was thinking of doing a dvd and just pushing myself extra hard in the intervals. I don't have a treadmill, elliptical or bike, so I'm kind of limited. Any ideas?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #10  
Mel

You can walk/jog/run. I see you are in Wisconsin so early mornings shouldn't be too hot! Mid-winter might cause more of a problem! When I first started running, I lived in central Michigan. It is possible to run year round, but you have to be slightly demented to do it in some climates

If outdoors is out of the question, put on some good dancing music and walk/jog/run in place.

Mel
Old 07-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Walk Away the Pounds videos are also a good, low key way to start. You get your heart pounding w/o having to do any fancy steps. There are a ton to choose from & you can preview them at Collagevideo.com. They sell them on the shelf at Wal-Mart too.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

I'm demented I love running in the winter time ...
Old 07-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #13  

Thanks everyone so much for your suggestions!

I think I'll do some dvd's and some walking. Running is something I've never been able to get into. It hurts way too much, however a lot of that could be because I'm out of shape and doing too much, too soon. Using sprints or something similar as my high point would be helpful.

Like someone suggested, I could run or walk in place, too. I could even jump like I would if I was able to jump rope...just with out the rope.

I haven't updated my profile or weight. I moved to Chicago about a month ago. I don't know what I weigh because I got rid of the scale before moving. I do have a pant-o-meter,though.

I have to go to a wedding in about two weeks. I'm going to try to do the work outs at the hotel and eat well, but it may be more difficult... but at least I'll give it an effort. I don't think it will be that bad except on the wedding day, which will be my free day. I picked up some bars and drinks for such an occasion when I don't have anything else handy.

Thanks for everyone's help...I think..I know I'll learn a lot during the next 12 weeks and beyond.