Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #1  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Default What about the thighs??

Okay, so I know that there's not likely to be a magic answer out there but I had to ask it, since I've been thinking about it for so long.

I'm pretty close to my goal weight...even my doctor says my weight is fine. While I'd like to lose another 5-10 lbs., I know that it might not happen. So, I'm working out - running, spinning, weights etc. but those darn inner thighs are still pretty "yucky" (that's the medical term, by the way )

I've heard that those machines where you squeeze your legs together are mostly a waste of time and I've stayed away from them. So, what can I do for this specific area? I imagine it might be lunges or wide squats so if that's it, maybe I just need to do more of them.

Any other exercises that could target that area? Right now I still don't feel comfortable in a bathing suit (I know, who does?) and that's the biggest reason why.

Thanks!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Quote:
I'm pretty close to my goal weight...even my doctor says my weight is fine. While I'd like to lose another 5-10 lbs., I know that it might not happen.
It will happen! You came this far, so you can obviously get it done. It will naturally be a little slower the closer you are to goal, but it will happen.

Quote:
So, I'm working out - running, spinning, weights etc. but those darn inner thighs are still pretty "yucky" (that's the medical term, by the way )
I don't have a medical degree so you will have to define yucky for me. Does yucky = the last 5 lbs are all in my thighs because that's where my body stores the "stubborn" fat? Or does yucky = the fat came off, but I'm still not happy with the way it looks and would like a little more muscle down there.

If it's a stubborn fat thing, then targeted exercise won't get that fat off any quicker. Keep the nutrition dialed in and keep working as hard as you are and things will be fine in no time. If it's muscle mass issue, then targeted exercises will definitely help.

The really good news is that because the large muscles of the leg are the best muscles to work from a calorie burning perspective, so basically increasing your leg work will help either way. Yes, squats and lunges are going to help you tremendously. Step ups are also great and always give me a tremendous cardio aspect as well. If you are doing a full body workout, throw in an extra set or two of one of these. If you are doing a body part split, you may want to change to full body, upper/lower, or at least push/pull/legs split for a bit to increase the frequency you can hit the large leg muscles.

If you want to target the inner thigh a little more, I'd throw some crab walks (with a miniband), some x-band walks (with a jumpstretch band), or some simple leg swings or cable adduction exercises as part of your warmup.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #3  
Out there trying

Depalma - thanks for all the information. I can always count on you!

Now, hmmm...what does yucky mean? I think for me, it means both that I have some fat there to lose and that, it's just loose. There's a lot to "grab onto" really! From the top if the leg, down about 6 inches maybe is the worst. The rest of my legs are fine so I can wear medium length shorts and be okay. Quads are fine, outer thighs, okay, calves etc. but those darn inner thighs!

I guess since my problem is both fat/muscle, I have to do both which is still lose a few more pounds and work extra hard on that area.

Thanks again.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #4  

Well, i am by NO means an expert in this area. . . and you'll be able to tell when i start describing what i do to work my inner thighs. If i'm doing something wrong, somebody PLEASE tell me.

One thing i do is use a big stability ball. I lay on my back and place it between my knees and feet which uses the inner thighs just to hold the thing in place. Then i tilt my body left and right which i think works the outer thighs so i get a workout of both inner and outer thighs. I also, while in this position, push my legs out straight and then pull them back to my chest which in essence is just making me hold that darn ball longer which means i'm continually using my inner thigh muscles.

Another exercise i do is with a resistance tube that is a complete circle and has ankle straps on the ends (or you can use a tube with just the handles at the end by placing your foot through the handle) and i rig one end to a table so that i can pull it away from the table with my legs. So by laying on my back (and i usually prop up on my elbows) i can stick my foot through the handle or attach it to my ankle and pull outward away from the table. Turned one way and i get a really good inner thigh workout and if i turn the opposite direction using the same leg, i'll get a good outer thigh workout. Hope that makes sense. LOL!

Plus i do lunges and squats.

Amy
AlabamaAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #5  
Mel

Amy- From your description, your stability ball exercises are working your abs and obliques more than your legs. Your going to feel a "burn" in your thighs but there really is more going on in your abs.

Elisa- Could some of that "yucky" also be loose skin from having just lost 50 some pounds? Were your legs your fat storage depots?

I would suggest plie single dumbell squats, assymetical squats (single dumbbell) with one leg on about an 8" high box or step, weighted side lunges, and just keep at it!

Do you do full body workouts or a split? If you do full body, I'd add in a leg day and drop one of the full body workouts.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #6  
Out there trying

You know, I wish (sort of) that I could take a picture and post it here. Not going to happen, but it would probably help.

Maybe they're not even as bad as I think...but I think they are. Do you see how I get all when trying to be objective about myself.

Mel - I think my thighs have always been a bit of a problem. I'm not pear shaped and it's never been about my outer thighs really, just the inner part.

To answer your question, I do tend to do full body workouts and admittedly, probably spend more time on my upper body too. While this might seem silly based on my posting, the logic was that I do so much lower body work through running and spinning and I'm happy with the rest of my legs, so I wasn't sure if that was time well spent. I hated my arms etc. (always had the tank top goal) but they're finally showing some improvement.

Maybe I've answered my own questions and do need to focus more on the legs. I just wasn't really looking to build up the quads more and I felt like that's what I was doing. I just didn't know what to do. I know I feel it more in the inner thighs with the wider squats so I'll try more of those.

I had never seen the other squats you mentioned on the step but that sounds interesting. And side lunges?? Not sure if I know what those are but I'll google it!

Thanks for all the great advice...I'll keep you posted, but probably not with pictures!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

I've notice a huge difference from doing squats step up's and walking lunges! And I concentrate on my moves. It seems to help! Good Luck!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote