makes one 8-9 inch pie
servings: varies

Ingredients:
  • 3 eggs, local or organic
  • 1 box of frozen spinach, defrosted and drained or use fresh
  • 1/2 -3/4 cup mashed sweet potato
  • optional: spices – basil, parsley, about 1/2 teaspoon of each or so
Directions:
  • place all ingredients into a bowl and stir.
  • pour quiche batter into a pie dish (putting oil on the pan is not necessary, but you can if you would like).
  • place quiche into a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
  • take out of oven and let set 2-5 minutes
  • enjoy!
http://www.pure2raw.com/2012/02/3-ingredient-sweet-potato-spinach-crustless-quiche-recipe/
Thanks for the recipe Does this website Also list the nutrition facts?

When I make white potatoes, I sneak in a layer of spinach & alternate the white w sweet potatoes to try giving our food better nutrition. At first my Dh protests to the change, but he eventually gives the 'revised' recipes a try & he likes many of them.

I read that it takes about 3 to 5 times to accept a new food after resisting it, then our Pallet enjoys the flavor. (or maybe it's, 'eat-it or go hungry')
Old 03-28-2015, 05:51 AM   #302  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Smile Top 20 health secrets of green peas

http://www.vegfriend.com/profiles/bl...-of-green-peas

Green Peas are choc-a-block with A, B-1, B-6, C, and a super sized serving of osteoporosis-fighting K, known for maintaining bone health and blood clotting. High in fiber, low in fat, with no cholesterol, green peas are loaded with vegetable protein, making it a versatile food to be part of any wholesome diet.

TOP 20 HEALTH SECRETS OF GREEN PEAS:
  1. Assists Weight Loss: Peas are low in calories, has zero cholesterol, and rich in nutrients, proteins and fiber. Contains both soluble and insoluble fiber, which makes you feel full for a long time, increasing satiety and making it a perfect diet food. Fiber also aids quick and efficient toxic waste disposal.
  2. Heart Care: Niacin helps reduce production of triglycerides and VLDL (“bad”) cholesterol and increases HDL (“good”) cholesterol. Anti-oxidant phytonutrients vitamins A, C, and E support healthy blood vessels. Phytosterols, especially ß-sitosterol, along with vitamin B1 and folate, B2, B3, and B6 reduce amino acid ‘homocysteine’ levels. Lutein and Vitamin K support healthy blood clotting, reduce oxidative stress on body cells, and lower the risk of development and progression of heart disease, stroke, and atherosclerosis (plaque formation and hardening of arteries).
  3. Digestive Benefits: Peas aids digestion by improving your metabolism levels. The abundance of rich dietary fiber cleanses the digestive tract of toxins and carcinogens, improves bowel health and peristalsis, treats constipation, and lowers the risk of gastrointestinal diseases and colon cancer.
  4. Against Stomach cancer: Peas contain high amounts antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agents, and a health-protective polyphenol, called coumestrol, that decreases the risk of stomach cancer.
  5. For Strong Bones: Vitamin K1 (phylloquinone), is a great bone mass building component, that activates non-collagen protein in the bones, promotes osteo-trophic activity in the bone, sustains calcium supplies in the bones, and helps body absorb calcium. Nutrients like Vitamin B1, B6 (pyridoxine), and folic acid help prevent diseases osteoporosis and arthritis.
  6. Protects against Brain Diseases: Iron content in Peas provides instant and critical oxygen supply, triggers neural activity, and prevents neural damage through its anti inflammatory and ant oxidant properties. Cures and delays the onset of diseases like Alzeimer’s.
  7. For Radiant Skin: Antioxidants such as flavonoids, catechin, epicatechin, carotenoid, alpha carotene etc. aid in reversing the aging process of your skin, by reducing free radical damage and oxidative stress of skin cells. Vitamin C, critical for collagen formation, is abundant in peas, providing elasticity and firmness to the skin.
  8. Anti-Depressant: Antioxidants and Folate, present in peas, have a positive impact on mental health, and decreases the risk of melancholic depressive symptoms.
  9. Immunity Booster: Peas are a good source of Vitamin C which protects the cells from harmful effects of free radicals. Peas are also rich sources of many essential minerals such as iron, calcium, zinc, copper, manganese etc. which boost up your body’s immune system.
  10. Anti-Fatigue: Iron and vital vitamins help fend off fatigue, trigger blood cell formation, and thwart the occurrence of anemia. Iron is also very important for carrying oxygen from the lungs to the entire body, energizing the body and brain at the cellular level.
  11. For Fetal Development: Folates are B-complex vitamins required for DNA synthesis inside the cell. Folate rich foods, aid in conception, and also prevention of neural tube and spinal defects in the fetus.
  12. Anti-Oxidant: Peas have flavonoids (catechin and epicatechin), carotenoids (alpha-carotene and beta-carotene), phenolic acids (ferulic and caffeic acid), and polyphenols (coumestrol). Pisumsaponins I and II and pisomosides A and B are anti-inflammatory phytonutrients found almost exclusively in peas. Antioxidant vitamins include vitamin C and vitamin E, and zinc. Another key anti-inflammatory nutrient is omega-3 fat in the form of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
  13. Regulates Blood Sugar: Peas have zero cholesterol, low glycemic index, low fat and sodium, and natural sugar that provide your brain with ready-to-use glucose, without spiking your blood sugar level. The anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory prevent or reverse insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes). High fiber and protein content in peas makes sugar digestion slower. Phytonutrients include coumestrol, pisumsaponins 1 and 11 and pisomosides A and B, supports blood sugar balance.
  14. Potent Energy source: Peas assist in energy production and play an important role in adrenal function with the pantothenic acid they supply. They are rich in B-complex vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6, which play a vital role in the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates and fats which nourishes and triggers numerous activities in the body.
  15. Eye Care: Lutein, a natural plant pigment found in peas, is concentrated in the retina of the eye, and its antioxidant activity protects you from both cataracts and age related macular degeneration. Vitamin A helps maintain health of mucus membranes which keeps the surface of your eyes healthy.
  16. Vitamins Store: Peas are abundant in vitamin C, B-vitamins, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, and vitamin K. They also are an excellent source of folic acid, soluble and insoluble fiber, phytosterols like B-sitoserol good for lowering cholesterol, vitamin A, providing resistance against infectious agents, and scavenging harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals from the body.
  17. Minerals Store: Cooked peas have more minerals than raw peas. Vital minerals iron, magnesium, and phosphorus support your blood, muscle, bone health, and nourish your nervous system. Zinc, an antioxidant mineral, promotes wound healing.
  18. Anti-Cancer: Vitamin A and C which is a potent natural antioxidant combating against all types ofcancers including lung, leukemia, colorectal, pancreatic, and lymphoma. It also significantly lowers the risk of other sex hormone-allied cancers such as prostate, breast, ovarian and cervix.
  19. Clot Buster: A special plant protein named lectin, present in green peas, plays a significant role in dissolving clumps of RBCs that can otherwise turn into fatal clots later.
  20. For Hair: B vitamins such as folate, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, aid in the creation of red blood cells, which carry oxygen and nutrients to all body cells including those of your scalp and hair follicles, preventing shedding and breakage. Deficiency of Vitamin C, critical in collagen formation, leads to dry, brittle hair.

Last edited by Corinna T; 03-28-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:57 AM   #303  
Focus & Determination

Dee,

I don't know if the website lists the nutritional facts. I have posted the website where I found the information, so feel free to check it out.

I like the way you transition others in to eating better foods. Nice idea.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:23 AM   #304  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Down 2.2 lbs. I really focused on my food intake and life is getting busier here on the farm.

I have to say I miss all the interaction and motivation this forum used to have. I know things change, but I still miss it

Last edited by Renee3; 03-28-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #305  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hello all,

Like Dee, I also miss the interaction and motivation, but I suppose we all get busy.

I'm getting myself psyched to step up the weight loss as my DBF's daughter's wedding is in 4 months. His sister is coming up from Florida to attend, and she prides herself on being the same size she was in High School. (no matter that she was always skinny and never had children). I'm eight inches taller and probably 60+ pounds heavier than she so I always feel like a heifer next to her.

The last time I attended a family wedding I was able to lose 30 pounds so I KNOW I can do it.

Does anyone else have an event or timeline that motivates you?

Andi
Old 03-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #306  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have always liked this thread and enjoyed all the information and interaction. I am one who is partially responsible for it slowing down, because I have not been doing well, and tend to not post when I'm not having success. I know that is the time I should be here more, not less, and I will try to remedy that.

I liked seeing all the information about green peas. Although they are one of the higher carb veggies, to me, a veggie is a veggie and the health benefits far outweigh the carb count. Most of my life I have eaten frozen peas, but being married to DH, he prefers canned, which seem too mushy for me. I think I will start buying some frozen and see if I can win him over.

That spinach, sweet potato quiche was very interesting to me. I entered the ingredients into a tracking program and came up with this for the entire quiche.

480 cals
24 gm fat
6 gm sat fat
5 gm polyunsaturated
10 gm mono fat
41 gm carb
11 gm fiber
29 gm protein

I entered 10 oz of frozen spinach and 1/2 c mashed sweet potatoes. The carbs are a bit high for a diabetic, but they are healthy carbs. For those who are avoiding eggs, three eggs would equal 3/4 cup egg substitute, which would lower the fat content.

I have a cardiologist appt in May and have to lower my BP some before that visit. I think a 10 lb weight loss might do the trick, and is doable if I start today and don't waver!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #307  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning Gals-I am seeking a group of highly motivated individuals to discuss and strategize weight management. For me it is a constant battle up and down and right now I am at an up and really need to get down. In just under six weeks I will be visiting my family for a wedding and currently none of my cute clothes fit. I want to lose six pounds but that may be overly ambitious. However, I want to at least give it a try. I usually make very good food choices for my meals but I have indulgences that get me in trouble. I stay moderately fit by regularly attending group exercise classes at the Y about three times a week. However, I may need to add something to my routine to use up a bunch of extra calories to make room for the aforementioned indulgences ( or crack down on the indulgences). I am drinking my green smoothie while typing here. It has a bunch of spinach, 1/2 a banana, a few strawberries, a whole grapefruit, about 1/4 cup of pineapple and crushed ice. That should get me to lunch. Have a good day everyone!

Last edited by TERAPET; 04-01-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #308  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi Terapet, you are no stranger to the 50+ group!

Your smoothie sounds good but I can't eat that much sugar.

It looks like we're both trying to slim down for upcoming occasions! What has worked for me in the past is to step up the walking. Since it's warmer now here, I'm going to try to walk 20 + minutes every day it's not raining. I think this raises the resting metabolism which burns more calories for a period of time afterward. I was able to walk about 1/2 hour yesterday and want to keep that up.

Good luck!

Andi
Old 04-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #309  

I love walking also. Besides the physical benefits from building muscle strength and physical stamina, I find it mentally refreshing to get outdoors and enjoy the natural beauty and sometimes an opportunity for a long conversation with a friend or a quick catch up with one of the neighbors. Sometimes it is just time well spent getting my thoughts together.

I missed my Y class today because I thought a severe storm was coming in but it turned out to just be a rain shower. I did fairly well with my calorie total today though. Lots of yummy fruits and vegetables and kept the candy to a minimum. Tomorrow is Friday though-that can be a problem. DH and I are having dinner with another couple at a local hamburger place. This will take some planning and some discipline to negotiate. Sure wish I could afford to throw caution to the wind but I have to keep the trip home in mind, right?!

Keep on walking Andi!!!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:11 AM   #310  

Good morning everyone! Spring has finally arrived in PA! Spent most of yesterday outside cleaning up the yard and working with the horses.

Tomorrow is weigh in day for me

B - bowl of oatmeal
S - banana
L - cup of soup and sandwich
S - apple
D - steak and veggies
Old 04-03-2015, 07:40 AM   #311  

Good Morning Renee3 and Happy Spring also. Doesn't this weather make everything better? Even weight loss endeavors! How exciting to share your day with horses. They are such lovely animals. A lot of work I bet! Good exercise though. I have a lot of yardwork ahead this weekend also. I purchased a whole bunch of plants on Wednesday and they are all waiting to be properly planted. Hopefully DH is in the mood to help. I have my breakfast and lunch all packed and ready to go to work. I just have to remember not to go crazy this evening-and the rest of the holiday weekend. It will be a challenge. However, I have some lovely, only half worn dresses, skirts and tops sitting in my closet to remind me I want to make good choices and enjoy wearing them again!

Enjoy your day everyone!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #312  

Down 1 lb. Not much, but in the right direction.

Today is my 34th wedding anniversary Going out for dinner so I will have to be careful with what I order. Also, putting together an Easter basket so that will be a challenge.

Hope everyone has a great day!

B- bowl of oatmeal
S - banana
L - cup of soup and sandwich
S - apple
D - hamburger with veggies
Old 04-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #313  

It is another lovely morning here. Yesterday was not a disaster calorie wise but I would not call it a success either. I am hoping I can make it up some today since I know tomorrow will be a very high calorie day and there will be leftovers. But, I am getting ahead of myself. One day at a time. I keep lots of stats on my food and exercise because I am that type of person. So anyway, from what I see about the last few months is not so much I am eating more but exercising a lot less. I put on four pounds! I would not thought that was possible. Still, I do not want to live at the gym. I am hoping this lovely spring weather will entice me to get outdoors and work in the yard or go hiking. However, today my schedule is packed with preparation for having the kids over for an Easter dinner tomorrow and I have tickets to the opera tonight. I just have to try to keep myself from going crazy with the goodies this weekend and make some weight loss strategy plans starting on Monday.

Congrats Renee3 on the one pound loss. Adios pound. Happy Anniversary!

Last edited by TERAPET; 04-04-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #314  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hello girls
I dropped by here a 2 weeks ago & U all welcomed me. I was not ready to make a commitment to myself, yesterday I decided I AM doing this Soo today is my day #1 to begin eating healthy again & b in control of my size & to not take any RX meds as I become older. I take a bp RX daily because my parents died from cardiovascular disease. I hope eating better will help my immune system get stronger because I get allergy/sinus headaches weekly from the spring to late fall & earaches in my left ear only (I'm curious if its because I sleep mostly on that side).
Last night for supper I ate a McDonald's Happy meal to get the OH toy from the movie HOME for a grandbabe If I need a toy from now on I'll simply buy it for a dollar & order their salad or oatmeal & do the same @ Wendy's w getting a small bowl of chili.

Terra ~ I love your smoothie, I add flax seeds & chia seeds also to my green & fruit smoothie. But U really had a lot of fruit-sugars in it & that may counteract the nutritional & weight loss benefits for U.... I'm w U about spring being here & going outdoors being active, come over to my house & help me rake my 5 acres of lawn & then we can go hiking & explore my 15 acre woods & play in the creek But I gotta take a Benydryl allergy whenever being outdoors for over a hour. I got myself a Vivofit & just began using it. I like it better than my friends Fitbit she keeps having probs w.

Renee ~ Congratulations to U on your wedding anniversary. Good going w the 1# loss. My gorgeous dark purple lilac bush is 8 feet tall & full of buds, I got it when my dS2 was born 34 yrs ago & it was 2 feet tall, I've transplanted it to 3 different homes & it's survived, soo my anniversary wish for your Dh & U is that I hope your marriage is Blessed w as much beauty as my lilacs for manyyyy years to come.

Andi ~ Thanks for sharing & reminding all of us about walking to keep our resting metabolism going Re: the skinny sister... Good for her being a typeA person about her size; but who gives hoot except her... PLease don't let that type of person let U feel unhappy being beside them, U have a beauty that others don't. About high school clothing, umm I can't fit into my size 5 jeans I wore back then & it's not important to me. I've had 3 kids & my body has changed, being married I've wore sizes 8 to size 14 & when I was my largest wearing a size 14 several people were rude asking if I was pregnant or I had a thyroid problem. I told them, No I gained weight from personal probs & I was hurt that they spoke to me about it. Duh don't ppl think I knew my size changed when my size medium felt tight. I bought only 1 pair of size 14 jeans & a pair of slacks & my first diet book in 2008 & bought pretty jam & canning jars & filled them w 1 or 2 serving sizes for portion control, instead of constantly using measuring cups for my meals. Extremely handy to grab 1 from the fridge to take w me places or eat from @ home. My dh takes them to work for the microwave to eat & also ice cream. Anyways it took me about 4 months doing portion control w the pretty jars to fit back into my size 10 clothing because I walk & lift hand weights instead of exercising. Last year my oldest son (single living alone) was in critical condition last year from a auto accident out of state, I went to b w him & I gained almost 10# those months from eating w him, cooking his foods he enjoys. He's 6' & eats differently than me w lots of carbs & rich fats. Coming back home I'm up & down between a size 10-12 clothes.
So the event U asked us about that motivates me is looking nice in all my size 10 summer clothing, or else I'll have to give them away & buy all new size 12 & that's not in our family budget. I know diets fail so I'll do what I know is healthy & works & use portion control w the cute Ball jars & a daily limit of 1,400 calories. I'll give myself a bonus of 100 calories if I need them badly.

I gotta go now. Easter Blessings girls Dee
Old 04-05-2015, 02:18 AM   #315  
Focus & Determination

Smile Happy Easter!!!!

Happy Easter Everyone!! I hope you have a wonderful day!!!

Recently I changed my participation to only once a week on this thread to
devote more time to other areas. Well, it is not working for me. I have
gained more weight as a result. So I have decided to become more
active on this thread once again. Hopefully, a few of you will become
more active on it too, so we can motivate each other to reach our goals. I
need to have almost daily interaction with others to keep me motivated.
Are you the same? If so, then let's work together to reach our goals and
help each other stay there.

Renee- you are one of the originals in this thread, and I always look
forward to your comments. Great job losing 2.2 lbs at the end of March
and another 1lb at the beginning of April. Here is a challenge for you. I
challenge you to lose 12 lbs by the end of September. That is 12 lbs., so
2lbs a month for the next 6 months. I think that is doable, and I will join
you on that challenge. Are you willing to work together on this effort?
Would anyone else like to join in on this too? Your meals for the day on
3-4 April looked healthy. Did you feel full during the day or did you find
yourself hungry? Congratulations on your 34th anniversary. That's
great. How was your dinner? Were you able to minimize your intake on the
Easter basket treats? I succumbed to one Cadbury egg and one Lindt
bunny, but I stopped there.

Andi- you have a great motivator with that family event of a wedding.
How many pounds are you trying to lose in the next 4 months? Just keep
thinking about that sister and how you are going to prove her wrong,
she won't see that heifer there this time. You can do it!!!! Nice
suggestion with that speed walking. You will definitely burn some calories
with that. Keep those legs moving!

Carol Sue-you never slowed us down. However, we do love to hear from
you when your doing good and even when your doing bad. Why, because
it just reminds us that we are all humans and are vulnerable, and it gives
us a chance to help others when they need it. By sharing, we can help
each other try to stay on track and learn from each other's experiences. It
let's other know that you value their thoughts and it will build true
friendships as we figure out how to live a healthy lifestyle (CADE)
together. Taking your hint-I will try to include nutritional facts in future
recipes that I post. Okay, 10 lbs is doable, as long as you stay very strict
with yourself too to reach your May appointment. Are you staying in your
8 hour window of eating? Still exercising while watching the TV? I think
you are shooting for a 2lb a a week loss. Is that correct?
Remember your avatar!

Terapet-Welcome. Glad to have you here too. Less than six weeks and six
pounds for a wedding at home. It is doable, but you must avoid all those
indulgences and add something to your routine now ..........
........like changes to your thinking...........
........resulting to changes to your body .............
This is hot off the press:
Warning -All food indulgences have been contaminated with a rare
disease or poisoned. Safety crews are working hard to clear the
epidemic, but they inform that it will take at least 6 weeks to clear
all the bad indulgences. You are advised to avoid all of them for
now and keep your body strong with resistance by taking up some
speed walking or low-impact aerobics. Once again, you must
avoid all these indulgences for the next 6 weeks to avoid all harm
to your body and add a bit of exercise to your routine to build up
your immune system. Please take action immediately.
End of text.

We look forward to hearing from you again and learning about your daily
activities to avoid this epidemic. Glad to hear the dinner at the hamburger
place was not a calorie disaster. Keep thinking about those nice clothes in
your closet just begging you to wear them once again. They are getting
lonely. Have fun with the Easter dinner/Opera but stay strong. Looking
forward to hearing your results from a strong Monday action plan.

Dee-glad to see you are still here on this thread, and kudos to you for
making the commitment to change your lifestyle to becoming a new
healthy you!!! Sounds like you have a good action plan for future outings
at restaurants. Planning helps take out some of the struggles that you
have to confront when those urges hit sometimes. Sorry to hear of your
struggles that you have from Spring to late Fall with allergy/sinus
headaches. I hope it only is related to your sleeping style, but if not, I
hope this year you will have less discomfort this year. I hope you have a
Happy Easter and stay strong with portion control. You can do it!!!!

Last edited by Corinna T; 04-05-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Closed Thread