Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Arrow Weight Loss & Toning Talk #3

Hi Ladies!

Want to talk about your struggles and successes with weight loss, healthy food choices, and exercise? Need some encouragement? Want to share a NSV (non-scale victory)? You found the right place! Jump in with your ideas, concerns, and general 2¢ worth to help make this lifelong journey a positive one.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Smile

Katy - I have a copy of Fix It and Forget It - Lightly cookbook, by author Phyllis Pellman Good, that I am finished with, if you'd like to have it. I've already copied the recipes that I want. It's paperback, 284 pages, and would ship easily. I also have the the original, Fix It and Forget It, which is not light recipes. Like you, I love my crock pots. (can't have just one with a family of my size!!)

Marti - how's it going for you?

Neal and I went out to eat Friday and without even thinking, I put part of my entree on his plate. (nsv!!) Why do these restaurants give us portions meant for a lumberjack?? I'd rather they lessen the amount, and lower the prices, lol.

Gotta hop over to chit chat... see you later!
Old 01-30-2005, 03:27 PM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

Well I WI yesterday and I'm still at 145. So w/TOM being here....I was pretty pleased....I'm hoping that POSSIBLY next WI I will see a difference?? But I won't get my hopes up yet.

Had Jhanai try steamed aspargus last night and she liked it! I was thrilled. I'm always wanting fresh steamed veggies and if the whole family like the pick I choose...makes it easier for me to plan a dinner!

Have either of you tried the tasty yet good for you dessert yet? It's from one of the WW cookbooks I have......Frozen Vanilla (FF) yogurt, drizzle a tablespoon of honey and sprikle with sliced almonds. DELISH!!

Ok....off I go! Jhanai wants computer time.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #4  
PamPSM644

Last I checked I was down to 205 but this last Fri and Sat were awful days and consoled myself with lots of comfort food. Now, Sunday, I"m back at it and feeling a wee bit better. I won't weigh myself till next Sunday. I bought a 3$ pedometer and dumped the pricy one in a drawer. Now I'm ready for my next walk.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:11 PM   #5  
PamPSM644

Did my walk with the new pedometer. I did 3100 steps at a brisk pace. Does anyone know how many cas that might be?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:01 PM   #6  
RosieKate

Pam - checkout www.fitday.com...I can't remember how many cals walking burns up but that site has lots of info on cal burning for all kinds of things. 3100 steps is about, oh, 2500 more than I've taken today :P

Old 02-01-2005, 02:06 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I just want to scream! If I could bend my leg behind me I would kick myself in the booty really good! I don't know why I can't get this down. I know it is hard but it seems I am making it harder than it should be and just not getting anywhere for all my efforts. I am not sure what my next move will be but for now like Katy I have turned to beliefnet again. Who knows, maybe I am just not ready like I thought I was. I get motivated and then lose it, not the weight but the motivation! Lol I refuse to quit of course but I have got to figure this out.

Anyway...that's how it's been going for me. Didn't weigh Monday because for some reason I woke up and just didn't care. Not even sure where that came from. I know I have either got to give it my all or just quit and be satisfied being overweight but right now I don't feel I am ready to do either. So....I need help for sure and am seriously considering WW meetings again because it was working when I had someone to answer to. I feel like I have to answer to you ladies but the difference is I am not seeing your face in front of me when I weigh in and you're not judging me. With the meetings I felt embarrassed if I didn't lose so maybe that's what I need right now. All I know is I need to figure this out. I've got to figure out why I can't stick with anything for long. I think if I can figure that out then I will have the key to success with this. What to do, what to do???
Old 02-01-2005, 08:59 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

Cristi - ((((HUGS)))) oh, if only I had the answer to that one. Do you see the date I joined 3FC? It's August, 1999. And this was their 2nd home! I actually have been a member since before that. And it took me until last year to get it right. And technically, I'm STILL not at goal! I think the answer lies deep within you. But I did come to understand this - if you aren't ready, you can't MAKE yourself be ready. And when you are ready, nothing will stop you. You'll know the difference without a doubt! But Cristi, if you never, ever lose a pound, so what? You are a good person, not overweight to where it's a threat to your health or anything, and you're still very, very pretty just the way you are. Never forget that, ok? A Jaded Lady's motto is "what I weigh is NOT who I am"!

Could you try thinking about it in a different way? Maybe try concentrating on eating healthily instead of losing. And keep going to that site - beliefnet.... and I truly think the answer will come to you. In the meantime, we're here for you!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:27 PM   #9  
One day at a time

Thumbs up

Aaaah, thanks Jane! That really means a lot and I appreciate the kind words. I am going to try looking at it as eating healthier instead of losing. I have been trying also to look at smaller goals as opposed to the overall loss which seems overwhelming at times. One reason I got rid of the weight tracker. It just doesn't help me at all to see that I am going no where fast! I know I can do it, I know I can it's just a matter of doing it and sticking with it. Just can't get focused enough for some reason. I know I will figure it out, just hoping it is sooner rather than later. Anyway...thanks for everything. This thread and site are the main reasons I haven't quit and refuse to so thank you ladies for that.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:03 AM   #10  
GmaTo8

Cristi - we love you, and wish you success! You're always there for us, too!

Katy, Marti, Pam - how's it going for you?

I am having serious problems getting enough exercise in!! Do you know they don't have any tapes at Walmart that target the waist? Or even mention the waist? Not that the rest of my body is fine, lol, but my waist is the worst. Good old menopause will do it everytime!!

I'm doing fine with the food and water, so I guess that's something to be glad about.

Later!
Old 02-03-2005, 07:05 AM   #11  

Height: 5'1"

Hi!

Oh Cristi--I agree w/Jane...every word she said. You are such a beautiful person inside and out!

I too am having issues.....but not w/exercise....eating. I think I'm going to do what you suggest Jane and focus on eating healthier rather than try to lose weight. My problem is my schedule and getting a decent meal in. I don't think I eat enough, and what I do eat....is not necessarily that health concious! But it's not too terrible either. I tend to snack more....Horrible.

That's how I'm doing.......need to put my life in order here!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #12  
a work in progress

Cristi, hon... Don't know if you've noticed, dear, but I almost NEVER discuss weightloss -- even though, I'm here, so you'd think I probably have a weight problem, huh? Well, I've been stuck in a rut for I don't know how long. I've lost weight 3 times with WW, but then I've always hit a plateau, time crunch, get tired of paying the money every week and trying to work my schedule and family around it, and end up dropping. Even my husband doesn't know how much I weigh -- come to think of it, neither do I! I tend to fluctuate between *gulp* 265-280, size 20-24, depending on the clothes. I am about 5'10", and would be delighted if I could drop 100 lbs, but that figure seems so impossible! Heck, I'd be happy to see 220 again. My blood pressure has been going up, and I have high bp and diabetes in my family, so I know I have to take better care of myself. I detest having my picture taken (which is why I've never posted any here at all), and have promised myself if I can get down to 200 I will go to one of those Glamour Shots places and get pics done for Tim -- he always complains that he has no pics of me.

Jane is absolutely right -- you can't do it 'til you are ready, you can't make yourself be ready, and when you ARE ready, nothing will stop you! I've done this before, and I can feel those old feelings stirring again -- pulling on my boots, hitching up my pants, and getting ready to tackle my fat monster once again...and hopefully the SOB will stay DEAD this time...

One key seems to be finding a type of exercise you enjoy doing enough to keep doing it for fun. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly the athletic type. I'm the sit-on-the-couch-curled-up-under-an-afghan-with-a-good-book-and-gourmet-chocolates-close-at-hand type. If I wasn't such a cow, I'd take belly dancing lessons because I just think it would be a blast (and Tim would get a kick out of it) I have some yoga tapes, and believe it or not, even some old Richard Simmons tapes (which my family laughs at and thinks are stupid), but I'm frankly too embarrassed to drag them out when my family is home. Right now would be a perfect time to start them, come to think of it, since both Mike and Tim have school Tues and Thurs nights.

It also seems to be key to find healthy low calorie low fat foods that you love, that satisfy you, so you can substitute them for unhealthy choices. Right now at work, I get stressed about 11 and about 3, and find myself at the vending machine punching the buttons for chocolate. I have to find a substitute that is good for me and break this cycle! Last time I successfully lost weight, about 50 lbs, I was practically living on Chinese Chicken Salad made with Bernsteins Light Fantastic Oriental dressing, and lowfat chocolate graham crackers

This year, through the holidays, I just concentrated on not gaining weight. I didn't do nearly as much baking and candymaking as I usually do, and gave a lot of it away. I also gave up sugared soft drinks completely, and only drink diet sodas or plain iced tea with no sugar. Can't give up sugar and milk in my coffee, though! Suppose I should try Splenda, since I like diet sodas just fine.

So, hon...I've spilled my guts, now you know the sordid details -- I am right there with you in can't-get-started land, and I am definitely a lot more overweight than you are, so quit kicking yourself!!! I do better when I have someone to "answer to" as well. Shall I answer to you? You can answer to me, if you want. Or we could just go get Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia and drown our sorrow in a great big vat of it. Actually, I think they have that flavor in frozen yogurt. Now, THAT I could deal with...
Old 02-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #13  
One day at a time

You ladies are the BEST! Thank you!

Jane~WTG on sticking with it! You have done an awesome job and I am proud of you.

Marti~right now I am having trouble with both exercise and the eating. UGH! it's not so much that I am overeating but it is what I am eating, and I am only getting the very minimum amount of exercise if that, don't even think it is enough to actually say I am getting any exercise.

Katiecat~aaaahhh, thank you for all that! I am in a lazy mode and can't seem to get out of it. I want to lose weight but I guess not bad enough. I do have some tapes that I love doing and Richard Simmons is one of them. LOL I love it and also the WATP videos. It's just a matter of forcing myself to do them. As far as the food goes I don't buy junk so it's not around to munch on whenever. I eat three meals a day and usually have only one snack a day. I do buy chips and cookies, the low-fat Pringles, and Pretzels and when I get some I am counting them out because I got used to that going to WW. The cookies I buy are those new things, can't remember what they are called, the 100 calorie snack bags of oreos, choc. chip and the wheat thins. Also keep low-fat pudding in the fridge as well as applesauce. Lots of fruit etc. I cook a good, healthy meal for dinner and haven't even been finishing my plate lately. Once in a while I will get the 'real' cookies and eat some which I know is bad. I also started my 3 bottles of water. January I did fine with the two and towards the end I was drinking three so hoping to work to four by the end of this month. I only drink diet coke and if I have tea or even cereal I use sweet-n-low. My problem is lunch and sometimes breakfast eating out. I know when I go out to eat what I should be eating but sometimes it just doesn't appeal to me and I end up getting the wrong thing. I really do feel that is my biggest problem-eating out (which I feel I am addicted to) and not getting enough exercise. I don't know why I am addicted to the fast food. Sometimes I just get in moods where I feel I need it. I have all the right foods here in the house it's just when I walk out the door and I can't be a prisoner in my home for fear of getting fast food. So... I am trying to break that habit. Old habits are hard to break.

I know I can do anything I set my mind to, I have done it in the past. Like biting my nails, smoking (only did that for a short tho while a long time ago), even losing weight before. I've just got to get my mind set that it is okay to eat out as long as I eat the right foods and as long as it isn't five days a week which it isn't but it might as well be.

I am going to try as Jane suggested and focus on eating healthy and not so much losing weight. Even tho I have set a mini-goal for myself, something I really want and oh my goodness I just thought of what it is! It's a figurine that I really want but don't really need it! LOL I don't know...I know I will figure this out eventually. I don't plan on throwing in the towel, not yet anyway.

The funny thing is that every one around me is so willing to help me, you guys, my kids and DH. I am good at telling DH what not to eat and such and look at me! I think writing/typing this has really helped me think. Thank you so much!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:58 PM   #14  
PamPSM644

I'm afraid to find out how it's going for me. I had a couple days of "pig-out". All emotional responces of course. Ate Chinese till I popped one day and snacked on crackers, chips,and other throw-in-your-mouth type comfort food another. Ya, I went back to diet food but am a little afraid to face the scale and see what damage I did. I will buck up on Sat and face the numbers.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:25 AM   #15  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Cristi - I think you are doing what's best for you right now. I, too, don't get enough exercise now that my treadmill is gone.

Marti - how's it going?

Katy - were you not wanting the crock pot cookbook? It's no bother for me to send it... just let me know, ok?

Katiecat - it feels good to talk it all out, doesn't it? Btw, I don't exercise in front of my family, either, lol.

Pam - have you read Dr. Phil's book? I highly recommend it!

Although I am in maintenance, I cut back for most of the week so I could go over a little while in Indy yesterday. We ate at Johnny Rocket's and I haven't looked up the points yet for the patty melt I had. But it sure was good, lol.

Instead of the packaged salads that I had been buying, I bought a head of iceburg lettuce that Neal and Katie likes, and some dark green bibb lettuce that I love, and mixed it in a big Tupperware keeper. I'm hoping it will last a little longer before turning brown like the bagged stuff.

I'm making a Dreamsicle Cake for dessert tomorrow - 3 WW points for a nice-sized slice. Yum!
Closed Thread