View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #57
pattygirl63

S/C/G: 238/216.2/150

Height: 5'2'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Trish, I heard that although the beans are high in carbs, the fiber in them offsets the effect of the carbs. I don't worry so much about my total carb number as long as my blood sugar is good, and I can accomplish that by avoiding the starchy carbs, like bread, sweets, rice, pasta and potatoes. Pasta and potatoes don't do me much harm if I eat them in very small quantities, if I want just a taste with my meal. Bread and pizza are the big no-nos for me that really spike my blood sugar, even in small amounts. Ice cream, too.

I hope I don't sound like I'm an authority on this. I am just speaking of what works for me.
No, I didn't take it that way. One thing I've learned in all this is that everyone is different. And hearing how foods affect someone else has helped me a lot. In fact, the fact that I couldn't eat 1/2 c of oats without it spiking my bs was always surprising since it usually helps keep insulin level for most. Even my doctor was surprised. The girl I read about yesterday mentioned that just a 1/2 c serving of oatmeal raised your bs to around 200. She is the only other person I've seen who has shared that.

I'm thinking that if I am going to have starchy carbs like potato or pizza that I have to balance it with protein and I MUST NOT have any other starch with it. It seems like when I have more than one starch bs goes up and I get brain fog.

Always feel free to share with me.
I choose to believe "I CAN"!!!

pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote