Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Angel's New Better Body September Challenge

It is September!!!!! We have made it to a new month!

Let's do a review to help us remember what we are here for and also if anyone new would like to join us they know what is going on.

Everyone can do something a little different but we are here to help, support, and encourage everyone.... We have are ups and our downs.... we try to stay up.....

I think we should start off with an introduction of who we are and what are goals are......

I am a newly married (May 3) mother of a 15 & 17 year old (TEENAGE DRIVERS - UGH!!!).... challenging to say the least. Was a single mom for 13 years. I work out of the home although I am on the road alot (in sales). I am very unhappy at the way I look and how little motivation and self discipline that I have had over the past few years. I am looking to change all this.

Name: Ursula.... aka Angel

Short Term Goal: 10# Weight Loss by October 1st.

Long Term Goal: 130- 135#ish

Exercise Routine: Looking at going back to (M-F) 30 min cardio; 30 min Circuit (alternate upper & lower); 10 min stretch
I am also trying to include walking and yoga in with this....

Food Routine: Weight Watchers and South Beach Diet combined a day....

Water: 8-12 glasses a day

Biggest Weakness: FOOD in the evening.... I graze at night when I am tired. I especially crave sweets.

This month I am also going to try to look into the emotional aspects of all of this.... I am rereading the "Make the Connection" by Bob Greene.... I know that there is definetly emotional stuff with all of this and I would like to have help in these areas.....

What I would like to see from everyone else is their starting point.
You can follow what I did above: Name, age, height, weight, size, goals that you have (which dont neccessarily have to be weight related, could be want to walk a mile by 4th of July.... whatever is important to you). Give us a brief introduction and the we can go from there......Anything else you would like to include do so....

I am so glad that all of you are here to help me, encourage me and support me.... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 12:00 PM   #2  

OK Girls the new thread is started....

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.... you guys were busy with your writing in the past couple of days....

Orange- Hope you are doing well..... How was your weigh in???

Rainbow- What type of novel are you writing.... it seems we have alot of writers on this thread.... I have also written in the past but it has been a long, long time ago.... about 15 years ago.... I have recently been thinking about starting again.... I loved it just went through writes block real bad and bacame discouraged.... then the hubby at the time didnt like me doing it.... let me know what you write I would be very interested as would others on the board......

also those Gingerbread people were adorable.... you are so talented.... I cant even sew a button on... i envy you that talent.

The other Angel- I am so proud of you on your diet.... it is so hard when you do this journey with a guy because it is so easy for them to lose in comparison to us girls..... just know that is so normal and if you are progressing in the right direction then you are doing fine....

Beth- sorry to hear that you have to work today.... hopefully it wont be too bad for you.....

Red- How goes it on the other side of the world.... do you miss the states at all??? Although after 20 years I am sure Toyko is home to you.... I notice that you are also a writer....it looks like you write articles correct? What type?

Sandy- Still missing you.... come home soon....

I have been so sick this weekend... my headaches finally went into a full blown cold.... been sneezing my head off and slept almost all day yesterday.... today I made myself get up and take a shower and move around.... I am determined to do something today.... YUCK!!!!

I went to weigh in on saturday and gained a 1 1/2#.... i am not upset about it becasue I really think all this medicine is making me retain water..... I am feeling bloated....

Anyway, I making my hubby take me to a movie in a little bit so that I can sneeze my way threw it....

Hope everyone else is doing GREAT!!!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 02:58 PM   #3  
"I WILL ENDURE"

Hello Everyone! I'm checking in for September!

My goals for the month are continuing on the fast and losing whatever I end up losing -- as long as it's consistently downward I'll consider myself blessed.

I'm 5'2" small framed and last time I weighed 185.5 (PMS week)
I'm 49.

I'm the artistic creative type -- so I paint, write, sew, and sing.

To answer Angel's question about the book -- it's kind of a fluke what's going on with that. I wrote this novel for fun and stuck it on a shelf to gather dust. About a year ago, my ex fiance (who I hadn't seen in about twenty years) and I began emailing. Long story why we broke up...don't feel like going into it and it's irrelevant to the issue at hand.

In the process of answering the question, "what have you been doing all this time?" -- I mentioned the book in passing. He asked if he could read it -- so I sent him ten chapters. I had no idea at the time that among his many business deals -- he's done agenting and has contacts in the industry.

Anyway...after reading the ten chapters, he informed me of that and wanted to see the rest because he thinks I've got something wonderful going on...I've been editing and sending him emailed chapters ever since. He's very enthusiastic about the book and a little surprised that I never told him I wrote when we dated. Frankly it never occured to me, because I consider myself a painter. He thinks we can make a fortune together with this novel and wants me to write another. Who knows? Anything is possible in life, I suppose. Most people who read it end up pestering me to send it out -- I actually have "fans". Very weird situation with that novel.

Anyhow -- I tend to procrastinate about this -- mostly because although I am an artist -- I consider myself a visual artist. I just find it surprising that people get so taken with my writing when it was something I just did for kicks.

The book just needs the last 100-150 pages or so "polished". It's about about 750+ pages at the moment. Once I complete that; I'll let my ex fiance do his thing. Whatever happens, happens. I promised him recently that I'd stop dragging my feet and I suppose I really should. I was supposed to start wrapping it up this week but I forgot about the Labor Day holiday. Next Monday for sure.

Rainbowmyst

Old 09-01-2003, 04:46 PM   #4  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

I've found you! Will be back later with my goals for September.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:29 PM   #5  
Web Designer/Homemaker

Default I'm new to this thread...

Hi all,

I'm new to this thread but would love to join in. I'm always looking for more support.

About Me: My name is Angela, I'm a 30 year old stay-at-home mom of 3 girls (ages 6, 2,1). Have a wonderful husband who takes charge of the kids in the evenings so I can walk. I'm about to launch my own Web design business and feel I can do much better meeting clients if I feel better about myself. I know it will be a great confindence boost to finally shed all this weight. Just lost 10 # and feeling great about that.

Name: Angela...(aka Angie, Angel, or LKBAngel)

Short Term Goal: 15 # weight loss by Oct. 1st

Long Term Goal: 175 lbs (once I reach this goal I'll set another) Size: 12/14 (been there once before and I know I can get back there)

Exercise Routine: Walking 5 days a week, biking 1 day a week, weight training 3 days a week.

Food Routine: Just watching my fat and calorie intake

Water: 100oz or more a day

Biggest Weakness: diet soda, ice cream of any flavor!

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!!,
Angela
(or Angel to those on the Jewels Within thread)

sw: 230
cw: 220
gw: 175 (for now)

Last edited by LKBAngel; 09-07-2003 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:54 PM   #6  

We now have 3 angels!!!!!

Welcome abouard LKBAngel! We are so glad to have you on board!!!!

Rainbow- Good luck on your book!!!! You do sound so creative!

Hey Red - Glad you found us.... see you soon!

Well I went and saw the movie "The Italian Job".... I thought is was pretty good.... it was fun for me to watch becasue part of it was filmed in Venice and I was just there for my honeymoon in May so it was fun to see stuff on film that I had just seen.... it make me want to go back so much!!!!

Anyway, I am off to lay down for awhile.... this cold has really hit me hard.... i cant stand being sick!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 08:02 AM   #7  

OK Tuesday is upon us....

This week is going to be a little crazy for me.... I leave Thursday night for Dallas to spend 3 days frantically redecorating my in laws new house.... FUN- FUN!!!!

I am still not at 100% with this cold thing.... little voice this morning.... lots of work I need to get done since I wont be in on Friday.....

As for the diet plans... hoping to control the eating and only going to do some light exercises this week due to be under the weather....

How is everyone else doing?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:37 AM   #8  
Never give up

Hello everyone, I'm psyched for September and a fresh new thread! Well, since it's an introduction Angel26 wants, here it is! I'm fairly new on this board. I'm single, originally from Pittsburgh, in Tokyo for 20 years, 44, writer, journalist, editor (don't expect me to write well on this board though! this is me downtime!!) I'm currently shoveling Saltines in my face, which is a no-no, of course but I have, I promise, been really good the past couple weeks.

I currently weigh around 68 kg, though I did get in the 67 area recently. I'm only 5 feet 1.5 inches. I train with heavy weights and have gotten back into that too in the past couple weeks and so I expect the weight loss has been slowed by muscle gain. I know I'm losing fat though. I am starting to see my muscles again (just faintly but they are there!) Oh, by the way, 68 kg is about 150 lbs. I don't have a pound scale and I've been here so long I'm totally metric. One kilo is 2.2 lbs.

Well, I had to check back on what my goal for August was (I started halfway through the month I think, maybe earlier, don't know, doesn't matter) and I said I wanted to weigh around 65 kgs I think. Well I didn't get there but it was definitely a Better Body month so I'm considering that a practice start for the real thing (this month!).

So, let's see, I want to break through the 65 kg mark, so UNDER 65 kgs. I don't have to hit it consistently but I do want to see 64.something come up on the scale at some time during the month. Now, this is going to be hard going but I'm going to do it by limiting calories. My problem is always eating TOO much, way too much. I do a lot of exercise, yet have stayed around the 70 kg mark for ages. Actually, where I am now IS an improvement because it was only a couple months ago where I was around 72 kg. But the weight is always around there. It goes up and down and recently was an up time due to lots of down things! 68 is progress but I've seeen that recently and it's way too easy to just go on an eating spree and I can get back up there in NO time flat!

Ok, sorry to hog the board.

Angel, I don't miss the States really much anymore especially now with the Internet. Earlier, it was harder. I would like to get back more often but I am always broke. I haven't been there in 2 years now. This isn't my first foreign country. I lived in Germany and India so it's not as hard the third time around. And I speak the language. I write for an English-language newspaper and a trade magazine in the States, do a lot of horseracing related stories. I write about anything really but tend to like doing interviews with people who are tops in their fields. I also get assignments and those can be about anything. I'm also an editor and that's where most of my money comes from so I don't write that much always. It's very irregular.

Heh, I hope you're feeling better. Sounds like a nasty cold!

rainbowmyst, your book story is fascinating. I wish you success with it. Strange that you shouldn't see your talent in writing but others do. I guess you are just more focused on the visual arts as you said. Still, very interesting.
Ê
Ê Ê
LKBAngel, Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your recent weight loss! I hope we can help you continue on toward your goal. Web design, huh? Also interesting and something I've been thinking of learning. Well, hope to hear from you lots!!
Ê

Last edited by redballoon; 09-02-2003 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:32 AM   #9  
Web Designer/Homemaker

Good Morning Everyone,

Its still raining here this morning, but we need it. The rain let up enough yesterday so that I could get my walk in. I did a little over my usual 1.5 miles, so that felt great. Still drinking my water, by the way I just kicked my soda habit its been a little over a week since I had my last one. Drank 100oz, probably should have been more, at least the bathroom visits are starting to slack off,

Wow, sounds like everyones a writer here. Thats great! I'm probably like most people and have dreamed of being a writer, but also like most don't follow through with the dream.

Rainbow~~Putting pen to paper and making words connect in a flow that people relate to is an art itself, I think its absolutely wonderful that you wrote a novel. Sounds like you have a wonderful opportunity here to share what you did with the world, GO FOR IT!!

Red~~Web design has turned out to be my passion, something I actually look forward to doing, rather than just another job. Its great!!

Its great to meet everyone. I'm off to tidy up the house and work on my Web site.

Angel

Old 09-02-2003, 07:03 PM   #10  

Hey Everyone!

Just a quick note..... Hope everyone is doing well!

LKB- Way to go on the walk..... that is great that you were able to sneak it in.

Still under the weather here but starting to feel better.... hopefully soon....
Old 09-02-2003, 07:28 PM   #11  
"I WILL ENDURE"

Hello Everyone!

Sorry that I'm posting short notes these days. Life isn't going well. Today I've a horrible migrane due to TOM. The only thing that works for my headaches is Advil and that just makes TOM worse in terms of flow. So I was told not to take it. As a result, I am lying in bed like a beached whale waiting for the headache to fade. I'll try to catch up posting and the like when I am back among the living.

Hope everyone is doing well on their program!

Rainbowmyst
Old 09-03-2003, 12:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 270/229/150

Height: 5'7"

Hello dear ladies,
Wow, i see you have all been busy posting. Imsorry I have not been able to post until now, I have been sooooo busy, I cant remember if Im coming or going once again. Does it ever stop? lol
Its been so long since i have posted my goals that I dont even remember what they were. honestly I cant even remember if I posted any.
My goal is to take it one day at a time, and 1 pound at a time. that's the easiest way for me to do it and think about it. If I think in large numbers it feels as though it will never happen.
Name: Mia.... aka Angel4Real

Age: 34 Height: 5'7" Weight: 206.5 Clothing Size: depends

Short Term Goal: 15# Weight Loss by October 1st.

Long Term Goal: 145-150

Exercise Routine: Curves and Body flex....

Food Routine: Atkins Diet and Im now reading the South Beach Diet book so see which I like better.

Water: 4- 32 Oz bottles of water a day

Biggest Weakness: NACHOS mmmmmmmm

wow we have 3 now. Dont they say that 3 is confirmation. well then if that's true, its confirmation that we are in the right place. I think that is soo cool.

Rainbow, Im sorry that you are feeling under the weather, I hope that you return amongst the living soon. I hate feeling down and under the weather. Im excited about your book for you. what kind of novel is it? Romance ,mystery,????
I love to read! maybe someday I'll be reading your books.

LKBAngel. Welcone to our humble group. We have a great group here and I love the support that I get from everybody. Im sure you'll love it here too. This is a great group of women.

ANgel I am still wishing you lots of luck with your In-laws house. i hope you feel better before you go? Do you know what you are going to do to the house yet?

Ok well its after 9 pm here and I still have chores i need to do artound the house before I call it a night.
I hope everyone is doing great,
im off to do my cleaning.

Mia
Old 09-03-2003, 08:14 AM   #13  
Never give up

Hi there, glad to see people posting so much. I got drenched in a major downpour over Tokyo on the way home (cycling) from the gym. Holed up under a pedestrian overpass till it let up a bit. It was really pouring and the thunder and lightning was awesome. Some power went out in parts of the city, some trains stopped (they always do from the tracks flooding or switches getting wet). I hear they're still down now, some hours later, and a piece of the Diet building got broken off by lightning. Cool!! And, it cooled things off nicely. It's been hot and humid again lately.

LKBAngel, I'm glad you've found work you like doing. I wish I could. That's really the best thing that can happen to you I think, but maybe it takes going through a lot of unhappy work for some people. That's my hope at least.

Angel26, Hope you're feeling better.

rainbowmyst, I'm worried about you. You sound like you've been having some rough times. I sure hope your headaches get better.

angel4real, good to hear from you again. Don't worry about not posting. We all know how busy things can get and a lot of times you just don't feel like writing. At least, that's what happens to me. Have you been able to work out? This Curves sounds like an interesting concept. I had heard people mentioning it but didn't know it was only for women. I can understand a lot of women not wanting to work out with guys. I, on the other hand, LOVE to work out with the guys, and because, I train heavy, a lot of women probably don't want to work out with me! Oh well, I see a lot of rifts between people in the gym and the locker room especially. Women with a lot of muscle (it's just before all the Fitness and bodybuilding competitions here and so competitors are getting ripped and really darkly tanned, so they stand out) I think women who don't train heavy are either scared of them or grossed out. But it's sad, because they shouldn't stop at their looks, but get to know them. So often, I'm pleasantly surprised by somebody really groaning through a heavy set of reps and then afterward they're just so friendly and sweet. Well, me too!

People think overweight people are the only ones discriminated against, but oh no, anybody who's different, not a conformist, gets pushed away, mostly through fear I'd guess. Strange thing. You realize it here more so because it's avery homogenous society but I think such attitudes exist everywhere.

I try to make everyone feel welcome in the gym, if they seem at all friendly.

OK, gotta run. Wish you all well!

Old 09-03-2003, 09:22 AM   #14  
Web Designer/Homemaker

Morning Ladies,

I want to add another item too my goals for this month.

I want to be able to do at least 5 push-ups without straining by the end of the month.

Right now I can do one, I strain to get no. 2. Last night I was doing some weight training and as part of my routine I would like to do push-ups, because I hear they are good for your shoulders and upper back muscles. Mine are in terrible shape, I pulled a muscle in my shoulder and it has never been the same, causes numbness in my back. Dr. said its because when the muscle gets aggrevated and swells its pressing on some nerve that causes my back to go numb and tingle. Its not painful unless someone presses on my back on the upper right shoulder, its mostly just annoying, anyway I was told if I can work these muscle and strengthen them then it may help to relieve some of this.

Had to skip my walk so I could watch my niece and nephew, but I still got some exercise so thats a plus! Planning on riding my bike today. Its brand new, I bought it to ride for exercise but never did so its just been sitting there and now it has a flat! Oh well, honey said he would fix it for me so I could ride.

Drank my water like a good girl so all is well there. In fact everything is going pretty good.

All for now,

LKBAngel

PS angel4real~~what you said about the 3 is cool!!
Old 09-03-2003, 10:10 AM   #15  

Hello Everyone!!!!

So glad to see everyone so active here lately! It is real inspiring to have so many new posts everytime I come on.....

Well got off the phone with my boss just now and as of December 31st they are restructering everyones pay so I will lose about $600.00 month in income.... now doesnt that just inspire you to want to go out and work all that much harder.....

I have been looking at maybe going to get my real estate licsense and starting this on the side and then eventually going full time with it.....

Red- Dont you just love to watch those thundertorms.... I could just watch them for hours.... hubby is always telling me to come inside before I get zapped.... although it probably isnt as fun to have to be on a bike in one....

Rainbow- I hope TOM is gone soon for you and that you start feeling better.... I cant stand those headaches.... nothing for me to do but go to bed.... nothing really works for me as for medicine either....

Mia - Let me know what you think of South Beach... I have been reading it and am thinking of incoporating it with WW.... I like it better than Atkins becasue it is healthier for you.... I did Atkins a few years back and it messed up my liver and my doctor freaked out on me....she had a fit and made me promise to never do it again....

I know alot of people have great success on Atkins... my dad being one of them.... some people...like me... have problems on it.....

South Beach looks pretty good....

With going to Dallas on Thursday I am not going to start it until I get back......

LKB - Where is Caldwell in relation to Dallas..... well actually Richardson and Plano.... that is where I am going to be This weekend... My inlaws just closed on their house in Richardson yesterday.... and my dear husband has volunteered me to redecorate the entire house for them.... YEAH!!!!

I am going to be sponging (type of painting) one bedroom.... ragging (type of painting) the master bedroom, removing wallpaper and reapplying wallpaper in 3 bathrooms and the kitchen.... we dont know what they want to do in the other 2 bedrooms, livingroom and diningroom..... I should be exhausted by the time this is all done.....

Beth, Debbie and Orange- How are you guys doing????

Well I am off to work because I am so excited about working for less money!!!!! YEAH!!!

Last edited by Angel26519; 09-03-2003 at 10:27 AM.
Closed Thread