Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 398/257/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Blue Team 2012 Spring Into Summer CHAT Thread Week 1 (04/29-05/06)

Hello Blue Team !!

Welcome to the 2012 Spring Into Summer Challenge !! I'm very excited to get started and see how our returning challengers have been doing and to meet all our new challengers.

A little about me. My name is Leslie and I'm 46. I have been very overweight since grade school. The earliest recollection I have on being weighed was when I was about 18 and weighed in at 310 lbs. At one point I'm sure I was close to 500 lbs. but would never have stepped on a scale back then. In 2009, with a starting weight of 425, I lost 135 lbs. in 9 months then gained 110 of that back the following year. In May of 2011 my husband and I joined a program at our gym that was sponsored through his work and in the past 11 months we've lost a combined 288 lbs. so far. It's been an incredible year. I could never have imagined how my body feels now and can't imagine how much better it will feel in another 100 lbs. My husband has now reached his goal weight and is looking forward to running his first full marathon in June and has his eye on doing an Ironman next year. These challenges are great as the more accountability the better... it's not easy staying onplan when there are so many factors out there tempting you to go off but WE CAN DO THIS !!

Please take some time to introduce yourself this week and tell us what some of your goals are. We're here to support and encourage.

Don't forget to sign up to the weekly weigh-in thread here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/bigg...gh-thread.html

We have a Nutrition thread here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/bigg...9-05-06-a.html

We have an Exercise thread here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/bigg...9-05-06-a.html

If you have any comments or suggestions please don't hesitate to ask.

Inspiration of the day: You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be - David Viscott

Last edited by LeslieB; 04-29-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #2  

Today should be a great day. Hubby and I will do a bit of housework then we're planning on going down to Pike Place Market to get some fresh meat and veggies for dinner. They have a great spice store there too which has some incredible teas and spices. Have a great Sunday all !
Old 04-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #3  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone! My name is Kim, I'm a 28 year-old paraeducator/yearbook adviser/waitress/berry farm manager from Vermont. There are a lot of things that have contributed to my weight gain over the past ten years, but there was one big thing that really snapped me into wanting to lose weight... again. I've been on and off this site for a while, but a couple rounds of cervical cancer and some serious bouts of menorrhagia... My eyes were pretty much snapped OPEN! My risk for continuing to have issues with menorrhagia and possibly coming out of remission.
So, here I am!!! I love sports and can't wait to be able to be competitive again! My obvious goal is to lose weight, but I also want to be able to jog at least one mile by the end of this competition as well as play basketball and soccer with my friends kids without becoming insanely tired after just a couple minutes. OH!!! I'm in the process of quitting smoking as well. I'm almost done my first week of Chantix, so that means I am supposed to put the butts down by Wednesday! So, I really want to be 100% free of smoking STILL at the end of this challenge!
I could go on and on and on and on and on... But this is good for now!
Happy Sunday everyone, and Let's ROCK this challenge!!!

Last edited by KimL1214; 04-29-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/200/135

Hello Blue Team!! I'm so excited to be a part of this challenge with all of you wonderful people.

A little about myself - I'm Amanda and I'm 22 years old. Growing up I was pretty much always a little bit overweight, but during my sophomore year of high school I joined the track team and got down to about 150lbs, which is now my goal weight. That was me at my thinnest. From there, I slowly put on about 50 lbs (most of it through college) by basically not even giving a second thought to what/how much I was eating and not getting in nearly enough exercise. College was definitely tough on my body - I never partied or anything like that, but worked 4 jobs at one point and had A LOT of classes. I am now a Pre-K teacher in Seattle, WA and love it! Now that I feel like I have more time to devote to myself I thought it would be the perfect time to get in shape and get as healthy as I can be. I'm not anywhere near having kids, but when I do someday, I want them to be healthy and live a healthy lifestyle. No better time than now to start the foundation for that!

My plan right now is to use MyFitnessPal to track everything I eat and stay within my calorie counts. As far as exercise, my goal is to get in 6 workouts per week at an average of 35 minutes each. 2-3 of those workouts are cardio-based. Right now I'm getting my body used to regular exercise again and doing 'walking' workouts or short 20-30 minute cardio workouts On Demand. I just ordered Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 and will begin 30DS in the next couple of weeks. The other 2-3 days I do a 40 minute stability ball workout that really helps with strengthening, especially my core.

So far, I have lost nearly 11 lbs. & hope to lose even more throughout this challenge! I'm SO looking forward to going through this with all of you. Happy Sunday!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #5  

Kim - Hi! Good for you, it sounds like you are getting on the right track in all aspects of life. Really looking forward to completing these goals together with you. Random question - are you a special ed paraeducator? I got my sped teaching credential in college & have always thought I might want to work in that field. Curious as to what your experience with it has been!

Leslie - Have a great time at Pike Place! I've been there a couple of times but it's always a little too crowded/overwhelming for me. I bet it's a wonderful place to shop for fresh foods, though. I'm dying to try Piroshky-Piroshky but I don't think any of their options would be good for staying within my daily calorie count.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163.2/143.6/120

Height: 5'3"

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Eliza, the same as my username, and I'm 31 years old. I have been struggling with my weight since my late 20's due to a high stressful job. I'm no longer employed at the job and am really focusing on taking care of myself.
I love to exercise and take fitness classes at the gym. My exercise goals for this challenge are to take at least four fitness classes a week. I also would like to run a 5K again. I ran my first 5K for a Thanksgiving run. I did pretty well but my eating habits and fitness level have decreased since then. So, I will like to start the C25K (Couch to 5K) phone app again. I started Week 1, Day 1 today. It felt good to be running again.
I'm using the WW program as my diet. I also attended WW in the past and have learned how the program works. I use an app on my phone to keep track of my food with points, Activity Points from exercise, and the Weekly Points that are given per week.
This is such a nice way to help motivate each other to continue to be healthy. I look forward to hearing from all of you throughout the challenge.

Last edited by Eliza31; 04-29-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #7  
Kelly-Blue Team!

S/C/G: 231.6/189.6/130

Height: 5'3

Hi Everybody
My name is Kelly and I have been struggling with my weight most of my life. I remember going on my first diet when I was 12 using Slim Fast Shakes! I have been up and down and everytime I go up I get heavier than before, so I've been really scared to try to lose weight again unless I knew it'd be different this time.
So, I've done a lot of self-evaluating and looking at my relationship with Mr. Food and decided it was abusive so I'm divorcing him Sure, he'll still be in my life, but he won't be my best friend anymore I'm learning to love myself and facing fears with a lot of prayer and support from the friends here on 3FC and the friends/family around me.
I hit Onederland this weekend so I'm soooooo happy! I've been cal. counting 1200-1500 a day and me and DH have added walking a couple miles 5 days a week.
This has been the hardest time I've ever had losing weight. I think it's because I'm not working outside of the home like in times past so I've really tried to increase my activities during my daily routine and I've realized I can't cheat a single bit in the food area without being disappointed at my weigh in.
I'm so excited to be a part of the blue team, it's been my favorite color my whole life I'm looking foward to getting to know everybody and watch our numbers go DOWN!

Last edited by qtapostolic; 04-29-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #8  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

Hi Blue Team! Looking forward to the challenge. I am Terri, I have been at this for almost 14 months and have lost 102 lbs so far. I have another 40ish to lose, maybe give or take a bit once I get closer and feel things out. I started with WW but later started to double track on a calorie counting site.

I am another one of those folks that loves to exercise - I started with walking and water aerobics and have very gradually built on that. These days I do a little of everything - strength training, running, spin class, swimming, yoga, etc.

I'm really good about getting in activity, mostly good with making good choices with eating. My big struggles - tracking and getting more "internal"/quiet when I'm frustrated/discouraged. I do track, just sometimes start to get out of the habit when I'm getting cocky, or I have a meal where maybe I need to do a little guessing on nutritional info so I procrastinate sitting down and doing a best guess entry, don't enter the next thing, and suddenly the rest of the day isn't tracked. So I really want to work on that.

Right around the time the challenge ends, I'll be seeing most of my in-laws for the first time in two years (so before I started losing weight) so I'm really excited about that.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone better and seeing everyone rock this challenge!

Last edited by Somni; 04-29-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #9  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi Team members. I'm Isabella, a retired grade school teacher. I've been heavy on and off all my life because I just plain like food. I lost quite a bit of weight about 3 years ago and kept it off for only a little while. I have a closet full of clothing that won't fit and I'm not buying anything else until I can fit into my "skinny" clothing. I'm not totally naked as I do have 1 pair of stretchy pants and a few tops that fit and I've been living in the same clothes for a year because I absolutely refuse to spend more money on "fat" clothing. I used to be an avid walker but due to a knee injury and Plantar fasciitis and heel spurs my walking has stopped. Actually, that's when the weight went on again. The only part of my body that could be exercised was my jaws. The last few months I've been able to use my stationary bike and try to get in 45 minutes 5 or 6 times a week. I've lost 14 pounds since Christmas so things are looking "down" and I feel so much better. Weekends are my downfall and I fall into temptation. Well, enough about me as I'm sure we'll all get to know each other over the next few weeks.

Have a great OP day.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #10  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

LeslieB~ How are you doing today? Did you get all that you had planned done yesterday?

ak812~ Yup, I work one-on-one with a middle school boy during school and sports. I have my teaching certification in Language Arts, but of course there are no jobs... I have had both good and bad experiences, almost a 100% good at my current school though! I've been here four years and am hoping to someday slide into a teaching position!

Eliza31~ Four classes a week! You're going to be a busy chica!

qtapostolic~ Sounds like you and I are walking about the same each week!

Somni~ 102 lbs.!!! Congrats!!! I have a feeling the jaws of your in-laws are going to drop when they see you!!!

retiredone~ Weekends are rough for me as well. I try to plan out all my food for the weekend a couple days ahead of time, so I'm at least semi-prepared...

I've gotta run to class now, but I'll check in later! Happy Monday everyone!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #11  

Happy Monday, Blue Team! I started the day by BARELY dragging myself out of bed to get in some exercise this morning. I did a 30 minute 3-mile "walking" workout via Comcast On Demand. I started this particular workout about 2 weeks ago and am finding it much easier than it was in the beginning. Still more intense than I anticipated a "walking" workout to be - I guess I imagined I'd literally just be walking around my living room. No way! It's pretty good cardio but I think I will graduate to something more intense sometime this week - probably 30 Day Shred, although I'm pretty apprehensive about that.

My goals for the day are to take a walk during my lunch break, stay within my calorie goal (1460), and drink 8 full glasses of water. Wish me luck!

Kim - Sounds like you have a very rewarding job! So glad you're having a positive experience at your current school - I know that can sure make all the difference when it comes to job satisfaction. Have a good class!

retiredone - Good for you for those 14 lbs. lost! And 45 mins on that stationary bike 5-6 times a week? Impressive! With your positive attitude and hard work I know you will be into those skinny clothes in no time.

Somni - Oh my goodness, 102 lbs.?! A big congratulations to you on that! You are going to knock the socks off of those in-laws. It sounds like you are super active - I definitely need to take some lessons from you and get motivated to exercise more! Is there one particular type of exercise you find most enjoyable? I know it's most important to find something you like doing so you'll actually do it, but I don't think I've found that yet. Good luck to you & keep up the awesome work.

Kelly - Yay for Onederland! So proud of you. Walking a couple miles 5x a week is an inspiring accomplishment - good for you. Walking, especially with somebody, is such a nice workout ... you get to bond AND burn those calories. Fun!

Eliza - Good luck with the C25K program! I started it last summer but never got past Week 1. Once I am a bit fitter I think I will try it. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with it!

Have a fantastic start to the week, everyone! Keep going strong.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #12  

Good afternoon. My name is Evangeline and was born and raised in the Finger Lakes Region of NY State. I’m 60 years old and shortly after getting married I moved to NM for 10 years and then on to AZ for 20 (that is where I was when I joined 3FC) and now I’m trying TX on for size. We’ve been here a couple of years already.

I was a farm kid growing up, strong, healthy and raised on homegrown veggies and home raised protein. When I got married and a job my activity level plummeted and my healthy eating went out the window and I’ve managed to yoyo my weight up over 100 lbs ever since. I did lose 90 lbs about 10 years ago and managed to keep most of it off until I had my knees replaced and with each replacement the inactivity cost me dearly so I have finally reached the point where I am starting completely over. I can’t run or jump with artificial knees but my knees were so bad before the surgeries that I couldn’t do any of that anyways so it is a real pleasure to just be able to move pain free.

I was diagnosed with diabetes the first of the year and that was my wakeup call. I have taken off about 25 lbs since the first of the year but that is just the beginning, I have a long way to go and thought this challenge would be a fun way to plug into a support group.

I track my food online and have one of the spare bedrooms stocked with workout equipment. My only problem with working out is carpooling back and forth to Dallas. It’s an hour run and my DH puts in 12 – 14 hour days so we leave early and get home late. So I do my best to make sure I get up and down the steps at work as many times as possible during the day to insure that on late nights I get at least s o m e activity in.

Sorry I’m so long winded.

Talk to you all later,
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #13  

Happy Monday Bluesers !!

It's great to read everyones' stories. We all may come from different places but we're here for a common purpose. All of your stories are inspirational and thank you for sharing them.

Sunday turned out to be a great day... we got the house cleaned and went to Pike Place as planned. We got a grapple there... it looks like an apple but smells like a grape and supposedly tastes like a grape too. I haven't tried it yet but will let you know how it is. Has anyone ever seen such a thing before?

Today has been great so far too... got our butts handed to us by our personal trainer then saw the dietitian. Had a good talk with her and have a game plan for the next week. I purchased a block of horseback riding lessons as a reward when I hit 250 and it looks like I should be reaching that either sometime this week or early next week. Can't wait to start those !!

Kim - Welcome ! I'm doing well... how are you doing?

Amanda - Welcome ! Sounds like you have a great plan in place. I know what you mean about Pike Place being crowded.... we overlook it for the great products available.

Eliza - Welcome ! How was the C25K?

Kelly - Welcome ! Ah yes... Mr. Food... he can have a bit of a temper can't he.

Terri - Welcome back for another challenge ! That's exciting about your inlaws... you'll be a hit !

Isabella - Welcome ! Weekends for sure can be tough but you can be tougher !

Evangeline - Welcome ! Wow... sounds like that's one heck of a commute you have.

I hope everyone has a great rest of the day and here's to an even better Tuesday !!

Inspiration of the day: Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can - Unknown

Last edited by LeslieB; 04-30-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #14  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Helloooooo fellow blue teamers!!!

I'm just popping in for now, but will be back tomorrow or Weds to catch up properly with everyone, and introduce myself.

I'm right in the middle of a ton of deadlines, presentations and essays for uni at the moment. I hope being back in team blue will help me stay accountable even when everything else is going mad!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/282/140

Hi to all the Blue team!

Just wanted to introduce myself, I am Gina username giffy68. A little about me, I have had a struggle with my weight all of my life. I have tried many weight loss programs and have had the most success with Weight Watchers. So that is what I am back on again. I know the program works if you work the program. Starting an hour later at work for the new position I'm in so I will have time in the morning to get a good workout session in before work. That makes me want to eat good and move more if I can workout in the a.m. then when I get home it will be taking our dog for a walk so he and I get time together and some exercise. Well that's a little about me, see you all soon back on these threads. GO BLUE TEAM!!!