South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #1  
I think I can...

Default What kind of cereal do you eat?

I'm reluctantly starting phase 2 today. I'd be happy to stay on phase 1 for months! But reralize that I must move on. So I'll be adding 1 fruit and 1 starch per week beginning today.
I really miss the convenience of a bowl of cereal in the morning, but the Fiber one flakes I used to consider my "healthy" cereal I now notice lists SUGAR as the 3rd ingredient. What kind of cereal do you guys eat? I'm going to the store in a couple of hours to pick up fruit some of that Ezekiel bread and hopefully cereal.
Thanks for your help!
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I use Fiber1 regular, about 1/3 cup, and add sf/ff yogurt and fruit. I sometimes throw my 1/3 cup into a smoothie. Sometimes I have oatmeal or steel-cut oats. I have also been known to have leftover wild and brown rice or quinoa as a breakfast "cereal" or lentils. I try to think outside the "box".
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

My favorite cereal is good ol' oatmeal. I like it best soaked overnight in unsweetened vanilla almond milk and chia seeds, and in the morning I'll nuke it for 2 minutes and add some fruit to it.

I'll occasionally mix Fiber One and Kashi Go Lean together with almonds and dried fruit and have that with yogurt on hot, summer mornings. I call it my Muesli mix.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #4  
I think I can...

Ruth I tried a recipe for cold oatmeal and it was definitely delicious! Except I added fruit and I don't want to have my starch and fruit at the same time until I'm able to have more.
Maybe I'll check out the Kashi go lean.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Not a cold cereal fan.

I like to make some homemade granola to sprinkle on my yogurt, but if I'm eating my breakfast from a bowl it's probably steel cut oats. My favourite!

All bran buds seem like a decent option, but check the sugar content.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

Cereal is a trigger food for me, so I typically only have it when I am traveling. I usually go for Fiber 1. Sometimes I have steel cut oats; the other night I had it for dinner

As for convenience, I make beans in the crockpot once a week and heat them up in the microwave each morning. Very fast and easy. Leftovers make a fast breakfast too.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I am not a fan of cold cereal but sometimes it's more convenient. So I will eat Kashi Heart to Heart (usually thrown into yogurt) or Kashi Go Lean. I like that Ruth thinks OUTSIDE the BOX ()!

breakfast for me usually involves cottage cheese or yogurt because I can bring it to work at the start of the week and have something here. Eggs are usually on the weekends unless I remember to hard boil.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #8  
I think I can...

Well the minute I got into the store a big display Kashi Go Lean 2 for $6 so that's what I got! I never had it before, but it is great! I also picked up something called an apple pear. I'v e never had it before but the produce man said they are delicious. It's like cheating 2 fruits in 1 lol.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/182/150

Height: 5'8"

I also like Fiber1 Original with a chopped banana, 1 packet stevia and unsweetened soy or almond milk. YUM!

I didn't think Kashi Go Lean Original was SBD appropriate because it has evaporated cane juice in it...??? Opinions?
BritMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritMW View Post
I also like Fiber1 Original with a chopped banana, 1 packet stevia and unsweetened soy or almond milk. YUM!

I didn't think Kashi Go Lean Original was SBD appropriate because it has evaporated cane juice in it...??? Opinions?
It's a personal decision for me. It doesn't cause cravings and I go by the <5g sugar rule. If it caused cravings, I wouldn't eat it.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/182/150

Height: 5'8"

Got it, I like that rule.

There was a another forum where I was repremanded for eating non-whole foods on SBD, including FiberOne, I think that was part of the reason that I went off plan and gained weight back - it was getting too strict and somewhat ridiculous.

I like that the people on this SBD forum are more relaxed, makes me feel like I can do it!
BritMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #12  
I think I can...

I noticed the Cane Juice in the ingredients list and had a moment of hesitation. But there is so much fiber I figured I'd give it a try.
8 hours later and I haven't had any cravings all day so I guess it's A-ok with me.
I have a house full of kids so even if I couldn't eat it it would not go to waste!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritMW View Post
Got it, I like that rule.

There was a another forum where I was repremanded for eating non-whole foods on SBD, including FiberOne, I think that was part of the reason that I went off plan and gained weight back - it was getting too strict and somewhat ridiculous.

I like that the people on this SBD forum are more relaxed, makes me feel like I can do it!

Honestly... I think most of us on this forum do our own version of South Beach, so I don't think you'll get a lot of pushback from anyone here about doing what works for you as oppossed to doing it exactly by the book.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #14  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oftheLuvs View Post
Honestly... I think most of us on this forum do our own version of South Beach, so I don't think you'll get a lot of pushback from anyone here about doing what works for you as oppossed to doing it exactly by the book.
Actually those cereal guidelines are from the "official" list for Phase 2.
I can't speak for anyone else but I do actually follow Dr. A's plan pretty closely, especially when it comes to avoiding added sugars and processed grains.

ETA - and the ever important 4.5 cups of veggies every day

Last edited by CyndiM; 10-21-2011 at 06:42 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
Actually those cereal guidelines are from the "official" list for Phase 2.
Look at me being a rule follower and not even knowing it! Both the cereals follow the guideline. I knew I got it from SOMEWHERE.

Working my way back to 4.5C Cyndi!