Old 02-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #106  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

TGIF!!!
Did not have a great day yesterday. My blood sugar was wacky and I was really hungry all day. I stayed away for candy but ate a cheeseburger for dinner. Really wanted fries but opted for cottage cheese instead. I walked a little during lunch yesterday and today I was going to give jogging a shot but it was too cool out. I popped in a DVD and was able to complete all 30minutes of it this time. Legs are feeling the burn.
I am having an EH day today. I usually hate when I hear this but I feel fat today. My scale was up a couple of lbs today (mostly water I know), the pants I wore feel a little tight, etc. Trying to get out of my funk before I dive into a pile of Baker Chocolates.
Hoping all my fabulous 40 friends have a great weekend!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #107  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyrews View Post
So discouraged. This week, once again, I didn't lose any weight. I've been walking/running 5 days a week for 35 minutes, lifting weights twice a week, drinking nothing but water, cut out sugar, and eating below 1350 calories and lost nothing. It's so hard when you work that hard only to lose nothing. The weight just isn't coming off the way it should. I'm losing only 1 pound, sometimes nothing every week. If I have to cut back on eating any more I'll hardly be eating at all. And if I exercise more than I already do, I'll absolutely start to hate it. I feel like it's a lost cause, like what I'm doing just isn't worth it. I mean before I was exercising I wasn't gaining any more weight, so now that I've added exercise I should be losing more. At this rate, I might as well not be exercising if it's doing no good. Sorry everyone, I'm just so discouraged right now.
I bet you're not eating enough. You're gaining probably becasue your body is holding on to the calroes becasue you're hitting starvation mode. I've been using myfitnesspal.com to log, and it is a good program. You set up your account, and it calculates the net # of calories you need each day. That figure is with no exercise. If you exercise, you have to eat more. You don't want the net amount to go below 1,200 or whatever it calculates for you if it's higher than 1,200.

On your exercise days, I'm betting you are getting a net of 1,100 calories or even less (1,350 minus what you burn up exercising). You will not lose any weight nor gain any muscle doing that.
StraitLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 185.4/183.6/169

Quote:
Thanks for all your encouraging words. I do feel better exercising. I just hope at some point soon, I will see the pounds coming off a little more. I'm not ready to give up yet. Once again, I dragged myself to the dreadmill and did 35 minutes of walking/running. I haven't tried any detox tea before I've tried taking fat loss supplements, but it doesnt help either. What is detox tea?
Hi, I am new here but I hate to see someone else struggling to loose and doing all the right things. I am struggling, but I am not trying as hard as you are! Just wondering what diet plan are you using? Or is is just the calorie counting?

I am trying to decide what to do about my diet, and wondered what others are doing. I know we each have different issues with weight and what helps address that will be unique to each one.
auntnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 191/185/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntnelly View Post
Hi, I am new here but I hate to see someone else struggling to loose and doing all the right things. I am struggling, but I am not trying as hard as you are! Just wondering what diet plan are you using? Or is is just the calorie counting?

I am trying to decide what to do about my diet, and wondered what others are doing. I know we each have different issues with weight and what helps address that will be unique to each one.
I am calorie counting and eating healthy during the day such as a typical day is: protein shake for breakfast, then a green giant broccoli & cheese sauce for lunch, a clementine for snack and then I eat a regular dinner using portion control. I drink nothing but water and only snack on clementines and almonds.
kandyrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 191/185/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraitLover View Post
I bet you're not eating enough. You're gaining probably becasue your body is holding on to the calroes becasue you're hitting starvation mode. I've been using myfitnesspal.com to log, and it is a good program. You set up your account, and it calculates the net # of calories you need each day. That figure is with no exercise. If you exercise, you have to eat more. You don't want the net amount to go below 1,200 or whatever it calculates for you if it's higher than 1,200.

On your exercise days, I'm betting you are getting a net of 1,100 calories or even less (1,350 minus what you burn up exercising). You will not lose any weight nor gain any muscle doing that.
That is very possible. I try to eat a regular dinner so I get right at 1350 calories. My resting BMR with no exercise...body at rest is 1451. So then I should be eating 1451 a day?
kandyrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #111  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntnelly View Post
I've tried a lot of different things over the past year but right now I'm eating mostly vegetarian but will eat dairy, meat, eggs, etc, no hard and fast rules, just what sounds good at the time. I've only eaten this way for a week and its TOM so too soon to tell, but I think I've increased my portions since I went veg, maybe too much. I try to get about an hour of exercise a day, mostly cardio, but rotating through weights, stretch, kbox, kbells, and walking.

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 02-17-2012 at 08:03 PM.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

Quote:
That is very possible. I try to eat a regular dinner so I get right at 1350 calories. My resting BMR with no exercise...body at rest is 1451. So then I should be eating 1451 a day?

Kandy
I would offer you a couple of suggestions to try. You can either try upping your calories a little at a time. Maybe 100 per day for a few weeks. Or you can do calorie cycling. Do 3 days at 1350 and one day at maintenance, then 3 days again at 1350 and one day of maintenance. You'll probably have to pick one of the methods and stick with it a while to see how it works. Your resting BMR is 1451? Really? That seems really low. Mine is over 2600 and while I'm bigger than you, probably by a fair amount, that seems like a very low BMR.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #113  

Only about 1500 calories yesterday and I didn't get my run in. I have to work this weekend, so I was off yesterday and spent it trying to get a bunch of stuff done that I'm not going to get to accomplish over the weekend. And some of it took MUCH longer than I was hoping. Poor planning on my part, something I have to get better at. All told, I did about 2600 or so calories out which is just resting rate, which is on the low side since I was very active yesterday. I will make up the run tonight and then do lower body tomorrow instead of taking the day off. Down another pound for the week, which is good. Weighed in this morning at 234.4.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #114  

Feb 17, Fri
B= coffee, 1 c cereal, .5 c milk
L= salad, 2 egg/veggie burritos, 3 Bliss
D= 1/2 veggie pizza {red onion, sauce, olives, feta, mushrooms}
S= strawberries w choc sauce
E= 60min weights, 42min cardio

Hubby brought home a stomach bug from work, so we had to cancel dinner with my parents tonight and I'm going a little crazy since I haven't left the house since Thursday morning.

Andrew, planning ahead isn't one of my strengths either.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #115  

Hellllloooo!!!

No one may rember me I was a fatchick about 6 years ago. I had to get off the wagon to help my hubby after his stroke. Well here I am again...... I am in need of help to get back on the wagon....Someone want to give me a hand up..

I need to know where you get the weight counter. I think that the other site I need is fitday but I am not sure. When I was here before we(the group I talked with) had a plan for the day. I am not sure if any of them around

ty for the help
leighrabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 185.4/183.6/169

I am new here, so don't know what people use here, but I use, mydailyplate. You can put in calories and exercise done.

I would be interested to know what sort of plans work for people in our age group as we fight against age-related changes.
auntnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #117  

Leighrabun Welcome. There are a number of sites out there to help count your calories. I use FatSecret, but others use the one at Livestrong.com, Fitday, and several others. If you have a smart phone you might use one of the ones that have app support on the phone. That way you can scan barcodes to enter your food, and keep track when you are not at a computer.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #118  

Back on the straight and narrow yesterday. ~2100 calories in and ~3100 out. I love it when the numbers come out right. I did monthly measurements last night and have lost nearly 3 inches off the belly. Yay!! I can see my toes. I got my 5k run in 33:31. Still struggling starting out. It took almost 10 minutes to get in my groove.

I watched the Cats take down Ol' Miss while running and listening to "How to Win Friends and Influence People" on my ipod. Time management is something else I'm working on.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #119  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew80k View Post
Leighrabun Welcome. There are a number of sites out there to help count your calories. I use FatSecret, but others use the one at Livestrong.com, Fitday, and several others. If you have a smart phone you might use one of the ones that have app support on the phone. That way you can scan barcodes to enter your food, and keep track when you are not at a computer.
TY for the info. Pleeeeessssseee remind me not to listin to some of the so called "betters" in my family. They had me so messed up the pass few weeks. But yes I am on track only 5 more pounds to go for the mounth.
I peeked at the scales today and almost fell off. Had to get my hubby to comfrim what I saw......

Later Leigh
leighrabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #120  

Hubby's feeling better but is going to stay home from work tomorrow also. We managed a little fun shopping and went to the grocery store today.

Leigh, welcome, glad to have you rejoin us