Old 07-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #16  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelder227 View Post
I didn't even stay on plan, but did manage to work out two out of the three days, and didn't gain anything. I'll take that as a win!
YUP THAT'S A WIN!!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #17  
Wandering in the Woods

Congrats Jacque ! I'm just happy that I'm still down two pounds, and it wasn't a fluke ! Only two down can be so motivating. I just got in from an hour hike up the ridge and I think I feel the difference of the two pounds. It makes sense to me that the lighter one gets, the easier and more fun the exercise gets, and motivation goes up, up, up.... and then it spirals. Just the same as the opposite gets harder as you gain weight, and motivation then goes down. Like 'DUH".

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 07-06-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #18  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Girl View Post
Congrats Jacque ! I'm just happy that I'm still down two pounds, and it wasn't a fluke ! Only two down can be so motivating. I just got in from an hour hike up the ridge and I think I feel the difference of the two pounds. It makes sense to me that the lighter one gets, the easier and more fun the exercise gets, and motivation goes up, up, up.... and then it spirals. Just the same as the opposite gets harder as you gain weight, and motivation then goes down. Like 'DUH".

Isn't if funny how all of a sudden we get those epiphanies on weight gain/loss? Like how come it took me SO long to realize that I would feel GREAT if I just lost the weight!!! Getting older and smarter does have it's advantages
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #19  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

jelder - not gaining over the infamous 4th holiday is definitely a win! Try to fill the week without your son with things to do - I know that when I'm wandering aimlessly in the house, the most likely place to wander becomes the kitchen ... mine is getting to that point that he wants to spend more time with friends than with his mom and dad (he's 10). He just got back from a week away, and the first thing he did was to ask if he could spend the night at a different friends' house. Oh well. He'll be trapped on an island (and in a tent) with us all next week.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #20  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Girl View Post
Only two down can be so motivating. I just got in from an hour hike up the ridge and I think I feel the difference of the two pounds. It makes sense to me that the lighter one gets, the easier and more fun the exercise gets, and motivation goes up, up, up.... and then it spirals. Just the same as the opposite gets harder as you gain weight, and motivation then goes down. Like 'DUH".
Totally. When we were camping, I did some bike riding, and I ended going up a very steep hill. Someone on his way down the same hill even commented on how hard it must be to go up. But the great thing was, I got to the top without too much difficulty. I *know* it was because I wasn't hauling an extra 25 lbs up the hill that made it seem not so bad... I felt great when I got to the top!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 196/189.5/150

jelder - I am a big crafter too! crochet, cross stitch, sewing and decoupage. I have a little online shop that helps to support my habit

Hermit - I agree...the smallest loss can be so motivating...and it can be contagious!

Onmyway - we try to get down to Brown County at least once a year. I just love it there.

Cat - yummy...pizza and beer what a way to go off plan
dietingdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Jacque - congrats on reaching goal! You must be feeling wonderful!

ICU - loved your comment about building character on this trip! Isn't character like muscle, you know - heavier than fat? : )

Newleaf - Totally know what you mean about exercise being easier with less to carry around. Sounds like you did great on the bike ride! We went hiking this weekend and I was so happy to not be carrying around the 14 extra pounds I started with. Can't wait until there's even less of me...
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #23  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all, wow, so much to catch up on since being away for a few days. Eating and exercise went well during the Reno trip. We went to the waterpark and I climbed so many stairs, even my quads were tired and it takes a lot to get to that point. I just love the fast waterslides. DD’s b-day was easy as her b-day cake is a really lo-cal cake recipe my mom gave me years ago. It has about 155 cals/slice. Can’t beat that and it’s so good – chocolate mint and very moist.

Dancer, my wrist hasn’t healed. If I was a smart patient, I’d go back to the ortho who had suggested a CT scan on it. But since I flunked wearing the wrist brace, he’d put it back in a cast. I can live with that – in September. So I’ll go back closer to fall. I’m a bad patient but I’m really frustrated with an injury that wasn’t my fault. I know that sounds whiny, but if the $%^$% lady had believed in the leash law she was BREAKING, I wouldn’t have fallen. I know, whiny… I hope you enjoyed your diet root beer. I will not give up Caffeine Diet Pepsi for anything or anyone. I don’t have nearly as much anymore, but I still love it. I figure I don’t drink, don’t use drugs, I exercise, I eat healthy, etc. I will NOT give up sodas so I like that someone else hasn’t either. Also, if you haven’t looked at your own avatar, you look fabulous. Congrats on the 3 pound loss and post the pics. You look great!

GSMom, welcome to the group!!! I had all kinds of feet problems. I used orthotics for years and last November even had new ones made. They didn’t work. In December I bought my first pair of Birkenstocks and the pain (plantar fasciitis and heel spurs) went away. Totally, completely away. I’m now the proud owner of a closet full of Birks. And on Saturday, I walked around a waterpark for 7 hours without shoes. Absolutely no pain.

Penguin, I live in potato country. Your DH would love it here as they are plentiful year round. I know the idea is Idaho potatoes, but the area I live in Oregon is the country’s top producer of whites. A lot are sold to McDonalds because they are humungous so they can make the long fries. I like Yukon Golds so I don’t buy local and the ones I do buy usually go bad because I don’t make them. Anyway, I pray the surgery goes smoothly and I’m glad your DH will be there on Tuesday and Wednesday. Just don’t let him feed you too many potatoes.

Newleaf, have a great time. You can do the maintaining. Marshmallows are great because they’re only 25 cals and full of air. In no way should our life journey be all denial. Sounds like you had a great weekend.

Beemer, I love the new avatar. Topless is great. LOL. I’m totally opposite of you. I rarely worry until I know the bad is for sure and I found I don’t like exercising with others. Even my walk the doggies time – DH has returned for July and he came with my last week several times. This morning I snuck out by myself. I like the alone time. Even the pool, he swims laps with me and I like the pool alone. It’s pretty cool that we know what works for each of us. I don’t think I could do the group running like you do.

Welcome Jasmine!!! I bet your mom would be so proud of what you’ve done since her passing. I’m really sorry about your loss. I would LOVE the scent of jasmines all around my house. That would be so calming.

Losermom, I realized that one of the two long posts I’d lost had replied to where you live. I love Mankato. It’s a great little city. I went to Gustavus in St. Peter for 2.5 years. A sweet BF in college went to Mankato State. At that point, my parents lived in a Minneapolis suburb so when I met my DH, I transferred to the U of M. But when I think of college, I think of Gustavus not the U of M because I lived at home with my parents. My favorite part of the drive to Gustavus was the Jolly Green Giant looming over the highway as I’d drive to southern Minnesota.

Diva, Way To Go with that scale. Sounds like fun at all the shops. I’d have probably stayed with the food plan too but totally blown out my wallet.

ICU, eeks – the red-eye. That is just so painful. Then the circus on top of it. I can see where the character comment stems. I do not envy you. But the backpacking trip will be fun and a good reward for the LA trip.

Cruise, yes, yes, yes on amusement parks. I love thrill rides but I have sworn off amusement parks since DH and I went to Universal Studios in February. An hour and a half wait for a 60 second ride is ridiculous. And to pay $75 just to get in… No let me pay 2/3 that for a ski ticket and let me fly down the hills with my own reckless abandon. I do have to say the waterpark in Reno (on the 4th no less) was not crowded. I did about 25 “rides”. My favorite was the straight tunnel shoot in the dark. Weeeeee, that was so fun. Over and over I played there. And the 4 story stair hike was good exercise.

Jelder, fun cars are not synonymous with unsafe cars. You must tell your DH that. My wonderful, beloved, Darth Jeep (named Darth because he’s black and his front looks like Darth Vader) saved my life. Literally. I begged the insurance company not to total it after my accident and they acquiesced – they did regret it with the final bill but I got Darth back after 3 months of rebuilding. BTW, my DD said the day after my accident in Nov. 2007, “Mom, your Jeep’s name wasn’t Darth. Now it is. It was Anakin.” It was so funny and it was the first time I’d laughed after the accident. She was right, Darth was completely rebuilt like the Star Wars character. Ok, so the point is that fun vehicles can be safe. I’m guessing Beemer’s has all the standard BMW industry setting safety features. Tell your DH you want fun next time and it won’t cost safety.

Jacque, WOW – you made it to goal. Congrats big time!!!! “Getting older and smarter does have it's advantages” That is just so true.

Hermit Girl, where in N. Calif are you? Great job on the ridge hike. How fun!!!

Jelder, diva, and penguin. I too am a crafter. I’ve been a stained glass artisan for nearly 25 years. Like diva, I sold pieces to support my habit but then it turned into work and I HATED that and didn’t want to create anymore. So I stopped. It is cool to think I have pieces throughout the world. OK, mostly in the US but I know of a couple in Europe and Australia. Places I’ve never been but my art resides. That’s sort of cool. I also am making a quilt and will post a pic when it’s done. The top is completely done but summer is for playing outside so I can see me finishing it in the fall. The old quilt on my bed isn’t too destroyed from the doggies. That one was way cool because I did 5 counted cross-stitch panels for purple pansies. My favorite flower. I’ll be cutting the 5 panels out and redoing the quilt someday.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #24  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Hi All!

Thanks for the prayers and well-wixhes. . My surgery is over and wasn't as bad as I expected it to be! They told me pre-op that the actual surgery would take about 10 min!!!!! They gave me some lovely drugs, I don't remember the surgery at all, just waking up {stoned} afterwards. I have a clear plastic patch on my left eye and can see marvelous colors but even better I can read a clock from 12 feet away just with my eye. No contact, no glasses, I've never been able to see this well! Things are blurry from the eye drops, and gunk they put in my eye and I have double vision, too. But really this is amazing! I can't wait to get the other eye done.

No bending over or straining today, maybe for longer. I get to go see the Dr tomorrow, so he can check his work!

Hubby went to buy a new sink faucet, of course, ours broke last night. Hubby fixed it so we can at least get water out of it but grrr!

Off for another nap!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Penguin - So glad the surgery went well - you are a brave girl!
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #26  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Patchwork, Glad to hear the surgery went well! Hard to believe you are home and online already! What a trooper!

Dancer, Congrats on losing 3! That's terrific!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #27  
Heidi

Penguin - so glad to hear your surgery went so well!!
Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #28  
Heidi

DietingDiva I've never heard of Brown County, IN but will have to look it up. I'm new to the MidWest (although people will argue whether Pittsburgh is midwest, but as a New Englander myself, it is *definitely* midwest to me!) and we're always looking for new places for a driving getaway... I admire your ability to not jump on the scale every day. I'll be in Florida for a week and will have to go all week -- eek!

OnMyWay - sounds like we're sharing the same life outlook. I'm glad you had a nice weekend.

CruiseCAT - great job getting your running in, no matter what. You're doing a great job with that!

ICUWishing - that's the key -- slow and savoring...

Jelder - it sounds like you had a great weekend! I'm sure it's hard being away from your husband... and from your 5-year-old all week! My kids have never gone away for more than overnight, and that's only happened once or twice... I'd be lonely without them around, too!

DancerInDenver - I so envy you the hiking in Colorado!! Did I ever mention that's where we went for our honeymoon? Loved it... And I hear you about easier with less weight... WTG!!

Marie - I'm glad you had a great time! You are such a daredevil!! Unlike me... I did ONE ride at a water park and as soon as it the raft started moving, I let out with an "I DON'T LIKE THIS!!!" I just hold on and wait for it to be over; no enjoyment here! And re: Birkies -- I used to SWEAR by them!! I wore them all the time once I stopped working... But I gave them up a few years ago. I found that my back never hurt during my Peru trek, despite all the hiking and sleeping in tents. I came home, slept in my bed, and wore my beloved Birkies again -- and my back hurt!! It was very hard to toss them, though... (easier than tossing the mattress, though!) I think the soles must have been worn down unevenly or something...
Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #29  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Hi all! I'm more awake now, and have been mostly laying on the couch watching TV, between naps.

I've been watching TV out of my left eye, the surgery eye with no glasses or contacts. My surgery replaced the lens in my eye and apparently I'm now wearing the contact on the inside! I can't wait to get the second eye done. I've never seen this well in my life. I'll be one of those fortunate people who can wake up being able to see!!! I will still need reading glasses. I went outside for a few minutes to talk to Hubby and I can see the individual blades of grass while standing and leaves on the trees in the yards across the street, which is amazing to me. I'm going to try to get an appointment scheduled for the second eye while I'm at the dr tomorrow! I figured out that my distance vision hasn't improved but the clarity of that distance has improved. And the colors are amazing!

I got two Netflix in the mail today. Both workouts I've been wanting to try for a few weeks! Now that I can't workout for a week or so! I guess I'll preview them at least! Such great timing!

I found a cookbook entitled Not Your Mother's Crockpot Cookbook for Two. The secret is it uses a 3 quart crock pot, which I don't have but I borrowed one from a friend. Since its just Hubby and I, I thought that would be better than making so much. I"ve tried a steel-cut oatmeal recipe so far, which I've heard of on my exercise forum, but never tried in a crockpot. It was good; and I'm looking forward to trying some other things. I priced a 3 quart CP at Wal-mart and it was $11. LOL, probably worth it. I have a large cp but hardly use it.

Good night, all!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #30  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

Penguin - congrats on the improved vision! Although I was only nearsighted, I loved the feeling of being able to see without glasses after having laser eye surgery. It's been 9 years now and I'm still seeing ok; it's also delayed the need for reading glasses - I may make it to 50, I hope.

newleaf - your trip to Peru sounds truly memorable. Would you ever consider going back?

Dancer - sounds like you had a great week, in the weight loss department. Way to go!

Marie - do you have any pictures of your stained glass? I love the look of that kind of art.

Jacque - congrats on reaching your goal!!!

Hermit Girl - motivation sure is one of those things that improves with success!

jelder - I have a 5 year old, too. It's hard to get things done with him and his 6 year old brother around. They start summer day camp tomorrow and I should be able to get lots done.

I've been out of town for the last week, at a family reunion to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary. It has not been a very good week, food-wise. I'll be redoing some weight loss and I'm not too happy about that. However, I now know that my family is a huge trigger for me and I'll have to figure out some better coping strategies next time. I'm going to leave my ticker the same, but it might be awhile before it moves again.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote