Old 07-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #46  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelder227 View Post
Jacque9999 - Smarter, maybe. I'm totally in denial on the older thing, thank you very much! But I must be getting older, because I keep forgetting this things - like how when I lose weight I can just bounce up 3 flights of stairs, leaving my in shape, welder husband in the dust.
That is SOOOOOO funny!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtgila View Post
Just stopping to say hello. Checking this 40 something support group out. Looks like it might be right for me :-)

Have a great day!
This is a great group!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchworkpenguin
Then of course, getting Lasik 9 years ago was just incredible. Unfortunately, I think I need reading glasses now. Too much time doing close work and my eyes are blurry, even some double vision.
I got my lasik about 11 years ago and have LOVED IT!!! But I too have now gone to Kmart and gotten those darn reading glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
OK, since I whined about my wrist not being my fault I figure I should take blame when it’s due for injuries. I was washing one of my hummingbird feeders last night and was determined to get the last inch my bottle brush wouldn’t reach. So I pushed, figuring the diameter of the plastic holding the brush and the diameter of the bottle neck were the same. I figured the plastic would bend or break. No, the glass shattered and cut my thumb to shreds. It was late and I’d have had to go to the ER for stitches so it’s all bandaged up and very nasty. All night it felt like it was on fire. Now it’s just sore. Yeah for that. Boo for no swimming today. At least the hummers got a new feeder that was 100% clean…
I hate when stuff like that happens!!! Hope you feel better soon!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #47  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

Jacque - you look amazing! Way to go!

Marie - you are very talented with stained glass. How much time would one of those ones of your dogs take?

jelder - what I find surprising is that the children's menus at almost all of the restaurants have only pretty unhealthy food. On rainy days, we don't have any of those indoor play areas around here, only McD's. I feel bad about giving my kids food with little nutrition, but they do pick the apple slices quite often instead of fries. I wish that there was an organic food place with an indoor play area, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Hermit Girl - I read your blog and I've had days like that, too. Because I have a zillion food intolerances, if I don't bring food with me, I will probably have some kind of reaction if I eat whatever's available and that often makes me even more hungry.

Beemer - your idea of having a fun car sounds great! I'll have to wait until my kids are older to do the same, though. They can seldom eat without spilling something.

Onmyway - that's good news about the biopsy results.

dancerindenver - yes, my family is very hard on my self esteem. I didn't really notice any difference in the way they treated me - I think I'm just more aware of it these days. By the last day of my vacation, I had hit a very low spot. Now, I'm getting back to some semblance of normal.

It's always a bit tough to try to drag myself out of these low spots. My extended family members mean well, but they have a lot of issues that cause me a lot of stress to be around them. I find it really hard to bounce back from extended contact with them. Also, the fact that my mother is on yet another "diet" that is doomed to failure is hard to take. She has been "on" and "off" diets for my entire life and her weight has yo-yo'd up and down over the years. In the back of my mind, I'm afraid that I'm destined to follow in her footsteps.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #48  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by presmaggie View Post
In the back of my mind, I'm afraid that I'm destined to follow in her footsteps.
Presmaggie, Don't think like that. You will only follow in her footsteps if you choose to. You are doing great and know what you need to do to make healthy changes in your life. You CAN be successful even if your mother is not!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #49  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Okay, ladies -- see you in mid-July! I'm off to Sanibel, FL for a week to visit my parents.

CruiseCAT - I've lost track of when your surgery is. Soon??! I hope it goes well and brings you a lot of relief...

OnMyWay - I'm so glad your biopsy came back clear. Phew!

Wish I could reply to you all, but it's 11:30 and I need to get to bed so I can get up, finish packing, round up the boys, and go.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #50  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I wanted to stop in and tell you guys that my cateract surgery went very well. I went to the eye doc today for my post-op check-up. The Doc was very pleased with my progress but because of my history of eye problems he warned to take it very easy for the next week or so. No lifting anything heavier that 10-15lbs, no stress, no strain. He even told me not to clean the house! Yay, doctor's orders! So I'm going to sit on the couch and supervise Hubby; I get to be the guy for a while. I have eye drops to take for a while, but nothing really bad. I had one eye surgery that I had to lay on my stomach for almost 2 weeks afterwards. I could get up to eat and go to the bathroom, etc.

I have to go back to the dr in two weeks and I have made the appointment for my second surgery for Aug 17th. My vision has improved greatly in my left eye. I had the lens replaced so basically I'm wearing the contact on the inside now. I've wore glasses since I was 3 and contacts since I was 12 and this morning was the first time I have ever gotten up and not had to funble for my glasses to see what time it was. After the second surgery I probably won't need glasses or contacts again. Well, I'lll still need reading glasses, but I can live with that.

Thanks, for the prayers and well-wishes!

Jacque, I get mine at Dollar Tree, that way if I step/sit on them {been there, done that!} I don't feel badly.

Jeider, My dad was an Army helicopter pilot and has great vision so I was always comparing mine to his. Mistake! I went from legally blind in the left eye to 20/40 vision. Major improvment!

Swtgila, Welcome to our group.

Hermit Girl, I"m sitting on the ground beside you behind that wagon. I've been treating myself a little too much to 'celebrate' my surgery being over. Tomorrow I climb back on!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #51  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Jelder, I will put the cake recipe on my site tonight in PDF. I’ll then post a link to the file. That way it’s easy to print and I have to do nearly nothing. I’m guessing 4 ski resorts in Colorado that you lived by Copper Mountain, Breckenridge (my fav), A-Basin and Keystone. DH and I stayed in a condo in Dillon many years ago for a ski vacation. And my 4 door Jeep Wrangler (Darth) has loads of safety, is an SUV, and the top is removable. So Darth’s identical twin could be your 3rd vehicle.

Jacque, I had to have bifocal (progressives are cool – no line) made this past spring. I rarely ever where them except night driving and looking at tiny print. I’ll always be a big cheerleader for Lasik.

Presmaggie, I don’t know how long they take as I do it when I’m in the mood, for 10 minutes or up to a couple hours. If pushed to guess, I’m guessing about 10 hours but that’s a really rough estimate. My hands/wrists are no longer strong enough to do a lot of glass cutting for long periods of time. That strength is also needed for grinding and wrapping the glass. Also, I’m guessing that your mom’s lifelong yo-yo dieting is what precipitated your problems with foods. I watch my family and everything is centered around food. It’s difficult to undo a life’s learning lesson. But it is possible and you can change your destiny.

Newleaf, have a great trip. I bet you’ll have fun. I love ocean (or gulf) water.

Penguin, I am so glad the post surgery check up went well. 20/40, huh??? That's fabulous. That's where I'm at after Lasik. I'd been 20/400. It's pretty awesome, isn't it??? I'm glad you have #2 scheduled.

My scale is stuck even though I was kind and cleaned it yesterday. Such consideration by not giving me a loss this morning. The first 10-12 days of my TOM cycle never have losses but month after month I hope for a different result. I just hate the borderline 159-160. I want the #5 to stay in the middle until I see a #4. Mr Scale isn't cooperating.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #52  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

Onmyway - that's a good way to look at it. Everything in life is a choice, isn't it? Thanks.

Newleaf - hope you have a nice vacation!

Penguin - glad your surgery went well. I remember the first time I could see the clock after my laser eye surgery. It felt like a miracle!

Marie - that's interesting; I had no idea that stained glass was so strenuous on the hands and wrists. I've always loved looking at it, especially the old churches in Europe. It's hard to imagine how much time it took to do those huge, intricate windows. Thanks for the comment on my family. Other people are often able to see things that I can't. I guess there's always been such a feeling of inevitability that I would struggle with my weight. It's a family trait. LOL. This time, the difference is that I have support and that I keep going, even after a setback. Maybe it's because I've finally accepted that I need to be a turtle, not a hare, to be successful.

I'm feeling better today. I really needed a rest after the busy month that we've had. My job search is a bit of a downer lately, since the vast majority of businesses and governments have hiring freezes on. It has, though, given me an opportunity to rethink my career goals and where I want to go from here.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #53  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Heidi - wish I was headed to Florida, I know you and the boys will have a great time. Surgery is tomorrow morning and I hope to be back in my bed by 2pm. I'll post sometime Friday.

Patch - Glad you surgery went well.

Pres. - Although the concept is simple it is NOT easy to change habits. Please do not let the history of your family sabotage your success. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

I too ended up in bifocals this year. Although I am a good candidate for lasik I would never risk it. I know the risks are minimal but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Well I'm off to get my cleaning and grocery shopping done. I'll be back on Friday.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #54  
Wandering in the Woods

Hey, I'm down half a pound, saw a new number on the scale... fun !
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #55  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Way to go Hermit girl! How did your day of staying away from the computer go?

I went to progressive lens glasses 2 years ago. I love them. I wear contacts every now and then. I use the daily disposable mono vision lenses. That way I don't need reading glasses. I got them so I could wear them to the pool and be able to see.

I am having a great summer. I'm walking every day, swimming several times a week. Biking with my daughter. I've tackled several small projects around my house. It's great to get things crossed off my list.

Have a thin Thursday friends!

I'm thinking I might need to add a little weight training to firm up my arms. Any suggestions on getting started?
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #56  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hermit, excellent fun!!! Congrats on the new number.

OMW, it’s awesome that your summer is going so great. Lots of activities in your list. It’s amazing what losing so much weight will do. The WT – I think you just have to start. I re-started for the millionth time on Tuesday. I started with a set of bench presses then some free weight curls and such. Not a lot but more than nothing.

I have to agree with OMW that I’m having a great summer as well. Other than the injuries that try unsuccessfully to sidetrack me from exercise, it’s been wonderful. Thinking about it, the weather has been pretty nasty with occasional niceness, and the injuries have been non-stop. But even with that, it’s a great summer. I’m active, happy and making progress on my weight loss. In years past, injuries and cold summer would have depressed me and I’d have eaten my way to happiness. I truly think this life change has made the biggest difference in my mental health. All the experts tout that losing weight won’t make you happy. If they’re right, it sure does go a long way to locating happiness. Now, I do want to try to disprove the other saying, money doesn’t buy happiness. Winning the lotto would be a good way to test that one.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Morning, ladies! Nice to see such happy posts!
Hermit - congrats on the new number!
OMW - Sounds like you're having a great time!
Marie - I'm definitely a heck of a lot happier, feel better about myself and have more energy than I did before I started this. I wonder why the experts don't see causality there when we do so clearly.
I'm down 2lbs since Sunday and am thrilled to be on a roll. I'm going shopping on Saturday morning and am actually looking forward to it for a change.

Hope the upbeat posts keep on coming : )
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #58  
Wandering in the Woods

OMW~
my abstinance plans from internet went Totally Bunk. I couldn't delete my thread, but I decided that it was a stupid idea, as I am a backwoods hermit, because so much of my social connection is through internet penpals, and more importantly, the constant encouragement from various forums (this one, and a knitting forum). sooo, I decided I just neeed to stop emailing that particular penpal every 20 minutes, then I'm good. How about doing some easy push-ups (from your knees) for your arms?

Marie ~
I was in Klamath Wilderness a couple summers ago, backpacking, and I think you're so lucky to live there ! Do you do a lot of hiking there? Oh, and I think that losing weight is the only thing that's going to make me happy about now.

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 07-09-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #59  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Thanks for all the congrats and well wishes! I'm excited! I'm walking around looking at things. I went to my friend Renee's house last night and noticed things like there are flexs of a darker color in her upstairs carpet, just little funny things like that, which is interesting to see what I've been missing.I just realized I'm slouched back in my computer chair and still reading the screen. Unprecidented!

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to what I've been eating the past few days, so I'm up a pound but I'm sure once I get back in the groove, so to speak, I can start losing again.

Dancer, congrats on those two lbs!

OMW, I have an astigmatism sp? so I can't wear soft lenses, I was mad that they came out with the progressive lens contacts and I coudln't wear them! But the reading glasses don't seem so bad these days.

Hermit Girl, congrats on that half lb! I'm on KnittingHelp.com but I don't go there a lot. Knitting is more of a sporadic hobby for me. Sometimes I cut back on the time I spend on the computer also, if I think I'm getting obsessed, again.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #60  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Hermitgirl....watch that ticker movin'!!!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote