Old 05-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Default Foods that kill sugar cravings?

I've tried low carb in the past and was unsuccessful. I constantly craved sugar and ended up overeating low-carb foods just to keep my mind off sugar. In the end i'd end up not losing weight and just giving up and going back to sugar.

This time i'm trying moderation...just trying to keep sugar and carbs to a minimum. One thing i have been eating a lot is full-fat greek yogurt. I am thinking it might be satisfying my sweet/dessert tooth, because it is so rich and creamy like a dessert. I haven't craved sugar in a few days so i think the yogurt, or SOMETHING, might be working! Anyone have this experience, with this or any other foods?
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I've had a similar experience, but unfortunately, it was short lived. I think part of my problem is that I was still putting Splenda into my yogurt (with cinnamon). I think the best thing to stop sugar cravings is to stop consuming sugar or sugar substitutes and when eating things like fruit, combining those with a protein source of some sort in order to keep the blood sugar steady. I hope you will continue to have this wonderful result since we're all different.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Yeah that's why i eat the full-fat stuff, because it tastes good by itself, no sweetener or anything needed.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #4  
Started IP: 4/4/2014

S/C/G: 154/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'0''

I eat Greek Yogurt and I had thought of it as sugar buster. But I will pay more attention over the next week.

The odd thing that helps me is dill pickles. It sounds crazy, but my grandma told me about it and I think it works. Of course you would have to like pickles, but a cold, crispy Claussen seems to help me.
Chrztina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I have been eating plain, low-fat greek yogurt with some agave nectar honey.... unfortunately, i can go a little overboard on the honey part. I have found that if I can just get over the first 2-day hump of cutting out carbs, then it's easier to deal with my cravings... So I just have to get to that point. Do you guys eat plain greek yogurt, or do you get the flavored kind? Does the flavored kind have sugar in it? Thanks.
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I have read that eating a piece of fruit a day while cutting out all other sugar/sweeteners really helps with the sugar cravings. But from personal experience, I don't eat any sweets (I know, I'm the strange exception) and don't really crave them and I don't eat more than a piece of fruit a week. My daily sugar intake is under 20 gm a day in what naturally occurs in the food I eat. And I don't eat any processed foods. I know, again, that I am VERY unusual, but I do believe that eating so little sugar does help with cravings. There was a period in my life when I ate more processed food and they all contained added sugar. And at that time, I craved carbs in the worst way!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #7  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

Height: 5'6"

I find that adding extra coconut oil, mayonnaise and butter to my foods help get rid of the sugar cravings quickly. Sometimes just a couple of days of extra fat does the trick. One of my cravings busters has been tuna with lots of mayo. I don't know what it is with that combination, but I have read others swear by it too.

Whenever I feel a weakening of resolve, whenever I know I will have a harder time of it (being left alone in the house with a pantry full of high carb junk)...I eat high fat until the whole craving/desire thing passes by.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #8  
Fattie for the Win!

S/C/G: 270/232/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrztina View Post
I eat Greek Yogurt and I had thought of it as sugar buster. But I will pay more attention over the next week.

The odd thing that helps me is dill pickles. It sounds crazy, but my grandma told me about it and I think it works. Of course you would have to like pickles, but a cold, crispy Claussen seems to help me.
Me too! I totally discovered this by accident, but dill pickles are really helping me nix my cravings!

Also, everyone, what are your thoughts on things like Vitamin Water Zero? I really love the Blood Orange flavor for during/after workouts but it has a "natural" sweetener in it. I put natural in quotes because I'm never sure if I can believe what's on a label. Do you think having one of these a day will hurt my intentions to stick to a low carb/low sugar diet? I also need something that will give me some caffeine and unfortunately the only way I can drink coffee is with milk and sugar so I've given that up as well.

Any advice would be swell!
MagdalenaRaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners... but I just can't resist my coffee. I need it. So, I use Splenda in my coffee in the morning. But another alternative is to use raw sugar - it's sweet, and not as processed/refined as white sugar. I like it in the occasional cup of black tea I have, but works for coffee as well.
Everyone is different - if you start a low carb diet and aren't seen adequate results (with adequate time, remember), then try cutting out your Vita Water Zero, and see if that makes a difference. But if you want something flavored/yummy for your work outs, I recommend just ice water with lemon and MINT. It is fantastic!
Good luck!!
Erin
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #10  

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but sometimes if I just go brush my teeth, the taste of toothpaste kinda zaps my current cravings.
vball4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #11  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

It takes about FOUR full days of no sugars, no carbs at all simple or complex, to get rid of cravings.

Try using xylitol sweetner. It has no glycemic load and it is most like real sugar, and has HEALTH benefits. IT's awesome.

It is uncomfortable having cravings but rememer to check in to see if you are even really hungry: often it is something else that needs to be fed!!
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #12  
LGW
#justfortoday

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'

When the low-carb/hi protein diet became popular years ago there was an article that suggested chromium piconilate and I tried it...finished 1 bottle...at least 10y ago... and since that time I just do not get the same cravings. I used to have a snickers, Crunch N Munch and doritoes on a regular basis and now although I still have cravings once in a while I just don't crave sweets like I used too and definitely nothing as significant as what I mentioned above....after all these years? may want to try it?
LGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #13  
I’m not fat….I’m fluffy

S/C/G: 288/274/188

Height: 5'8

Im a confirmed sugaraholic and have been on Prism Weight Loss plan for the past 6 weeks. I went cold turkey on the candy, bread, pasta,ect and it works. This is the longest I have gone without cheating. I can have honey on this plan, but in moderation. If I have an out and out craving, I have a honey straw. I bit a small hole in it and it helps with the candy craving. Its sort of a lolipop replacement. Oh and the pickle thing totally makes sense!
I have gone through alot more pickles. Thanks for that hint!
cuppycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Eating anything resembling sweet just triggers more sugar cravings for me. I can only eat fruit, yogert, etc, when I know I'm in a place to have those cravings under control. Other than that, it's 100% savory for me, or I'll lose it.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote