Old 04-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ Chat Thread April, 2015

WELCOME!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support, inspiration, and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone (roosters as well as chicks!) to join us in our journey. We share laughter and tears, heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations. We also share what works for us and what doesn't.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group... we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us!
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Happy April!
Heading home today so I will be back to my chatty self soon.
Have a peaceful day!
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey Everyone!!

Well they say things happen in 3's so I'm hoping this is the last bout of the stuff going on with me so I can be back to my normal self....This week I've caught some sort of strep throat or cold...Not sure if it's allergy related or not. My co-worker's kids were in the office with sore throats last week so I don't know if I got it from them or if it's because of the MASS amount of pollen outside. I've felt terrible so I have had to take yet another week off from working out...this will be week 3 for me...It's not like me and at this point I have what I guess you'd call cabin fever to get outside and go hiking or something!!

On the eating front I am doing very well...I've cut out diet sodas completely and back to drinking just water again. I did find that Deer Park makes a sparkling water that only has the spring water, CO2, and some natural flavoring with no sweeteners or anything so I've been drinking those lately when I crave something bubbly and it's really helped....and it's helped my throat tremendously this week!! As far as my food goes I've gone back to the basics with eating oatmeal for breakfast again and having a salad for lunch. This week I've eaten more soup than anything because of my sickness but it was turkey vegetable so it was still something healthy.

Last night I made masaman curry which has been a long time since I've had it...It has coconut milk in it which can be a little high in fat but at least its good fat. I made cauliflower rice instead of having the usual jasmine rice and it was really good!!! It normally doesn't have many veggies other than potato, bamboo shoots and onion in it but I added green beans to mine and bean sprouts and green onion to it and limited myself to the pieces of potato so I wouldn't over do it. It was so good and there's left overs so I'll be having that for either lunch or dinner tonight.

Does anyone have plans for the weekend? My best friend is coming down for the weekend and I'm so excited because I haven't seen her since December which for me feels like forever lol....No plans for Easter since I don't celebrate and I decided to take a rain check from going to my grandma's house like we usually would since she does celebrate. I'm thinking of tomorrow night doing a girls papering night. I might invite a couple more friends over and offer to do their makeup and maybe nails, give them a facial or something like that. I think my friend and I might go get our feet done this weekend too...

Even though I'm not at 100% yet my head is definitely clearing. I've noticed when I go through my bouts of depression that the house gets to look like a garbage dump because I simply don't care if I live in filth or not....This past week I started cleaning...I mean CLEANING...going through all the drawers in my kitchen, throwing out stuff I don't need....wiping inside and outside of the cabinets, cleaning the fridge....I've gotten everything done except DH's side of the bedroom...He said he was going to clean it but he's been even sicker than me so I'm just going to do it tonight before my friend comes down on Friday. I have hauled off so many bags of trash and my arms and calves are sore from lugging it down the stairs and to the dumpster...so in a way I did get my exercise in this week.

I have a half day at work today and I'm off tomorrow so I'm going to get some much needed grocery shopping done, get my car cleaned out, maybe even wash it and enjoy the rest of the week. I'm going to prep some salad dressing and stuff like that too so if anyone has any good salad dressing recipes let me know!!

Well since the day's so short here at work I better get back to it...lots to do in the next 3 hours...Hope everyone has a great day!
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #4  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Hi Sam! It's good to see that you're getting back in the swing of things as much as can be reasonably expected. I hope that whatever that is heals up soon.
tootsieroll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #5  
There and Back Again

My weight loss has inspired my spouse. . I just got an e-mail from him that he's starting to log food and beverages.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 410/372/200

Height: 5'10"

I cannot believe it is April already! These past three weeks have been tough on me, but I have been fighting urges every day to keep myself on track. I have a very close friend at work that keeps me grounded, and reminds me that I can do it, and not give in to temptations!

This weekend will be difficult with Easter, but I will indulge on all the yummy home cooked food, a small desert, and move on with my ambitious self!
misstonimariex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Aiee, April! Only 45 days until my cruise. Not, er, that I'm counting....

So every month I do a 'challenge'; January was no-added-sugar, February was limiting screentime before bed, and last month was water drinking. This month is walking at least 20 minutes a day, five days a week. I've done this twice so far and I am SORE. I'm just walking flat on a treadmill at 3mph and my leg muscles are sore from hauling my bulk about. Hopefully this gets less-sore in the future!
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning everyone. I'm running late this morning, but wanted to check in since I missed yesterday -- my wi-fi was a no-fi. It seems like lots is going on right now which means for those of you who work, my entire week would cover one day in your lives! Another lunch with a friend today, did grocery shopping yesterday, need to clean the house and do laundry, the grass needs cutting again, and my BIL just dropped off his dog Becky to spend the day with Toby while he goes down to some fishing thingy. Oh yeah, need to get one final coat of poly on the coffee table, and then I'll call that finished.

Hope everyone has a good day. Send me some of your mojo for getting through an entire day staying on plan.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm86 View Post
I've noticed when I go through my bouts of depression that the house gets to look like a garbage dump
This is so me. Glad you're coming out of it and cleaning! I should do that, too.

Tootsie, yay! That's awesome! Go, go, TootsieSpouse!

Stoat, it does get easier. If you're super sore, you might consider dropping the goal to every-other day, at first. Give your body time to build those muscles, in between. (And get lots of water, some potassium, and enough protein, to help the muscles build. )

~~~

I have been super wordy in the IP fora, when normally I save it for here. (So I guess I'm going to repeat myself, with a slightly less IPy bent. Sorry if you're in both places.) I went through a rebellious streak, yesterday, which was awful. I didn't WANT to do IP anymore. I was all "You aren't the boss of me." And also "I want a burrito bowl." Someone else in the forum had used the word "hangry" (hungry/angry), and that was SO ME.

I'm basically better today, but I have decided to set myself an end date for IP (start phase-off in November, be fully phased before Christmas vacation), instead of trying to stick with it until I reach the goal weight I originally set. I have a lot of reasons, but it mostly comes down to these:
  1. I'm not in this to reach a healthy BMI, because BMI is a bunch of crap. Seriously, even the person who came up with it said it shouldn't be used as a health indicator.
  2. There's no evidence that significant weight loss (beyond, I guess, that first 10%, much of which is often visceral fat -- that's the bad kind that sits in and around our organs and makes us sick) has that anything to do with overall health and longevity; the things that influence health are 1) not smoking, 2) drinking ONLY moderately, 3) eating enough veggies, and 4) exercising. Knowing that, I went into this to fix my insulin resistance (assuming that's even possible; IP makes claims, but who knows?) and to lose enough weight that I could do the exercises that are fun for me -- biking long distances, hiking up and down mountains, and running on the elliptical. And I don't need to be 175 pounds to do those things. (Though, according to my weight loss goal chart, I don't get my bike until I hit 200, so I guess I do need to be 199. I can lose that weight the normal way, though, possibly even by spring of next year.)
  3. My in-laws will not think highly of me if I'm eating pre-packaged foods while visiting them. Everyone who is into nutrition at all seems to believe their particular approach is the best, right? And my in-laws are very "whole foods" in their approach. I'm not sure what to do about the visit we're planning for this summer, but that's got a nonzero chance of falling through. Even if we go, it's likely to be a shorter duration than the visit over Christmas, and I'm hoping it'll be easier to hide that I'm on a weird diet. I want to be eating whole foods by Christmas, so I don't weird them out. I'm willing to phase off, even if just temporarily, to not be eating weird foods if I see them this summer, too.

As I implied with the bicycle comment, I'm still planning on losing weight beyond dropping IP. I'm just not setting a specific weight goal (for me). That way lies madness.

I would still like to get out of plus sizes, but honestly? That's mostly vanity talking. The real goal, for me, is to be an all-terrain person. And there are lots of those who still wear plus sizes.
the_magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #10  
There and Back Again

Marie: That sounds reasonable.

Stoat: I know, right? Exercised every day this week and my everything is sore. I found that drinking a 8 oz of fat-free or low fat (1%) milk right after working out seems to help with the soreness, though. If you are lactose intolerant, anything with calcium, vitamin D, and protein works. I don't know why.

Betsy: as always, your days sound productive.

Magpie: You have to do what works, and I can tell you from my own experience that these strict diets just don't work for me, I imagine that it is the same for some others.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Hello ladies.

Ubee, I hope you had a nicevisit. I miss your chatty self.

Sam, glad you are feeling better.

Misstoni, glad to hear you're doingwell. It is difficult sometimes. I also have a friend at work whoalways tells me "You got this."

Rabidstoat, good luck with yourgoal. I agree with Magpie that if you're sore, maybe you should startslower.

Betsy, your day sounds quite busyto me. It isn't mojo but it's what I found.

Magpie, your goals sound reasonableand attainable to me. Good luck.

Today we had a baby shower at workfor a co-worker. There was, of course, lots of yummy food including acatered lunch. I chose instead to bring my lunch just like I do every dayand ignore what was there. Some of it smelled really good, and I knowfrom past experience that it is really good, but I was able to successfullyignore all of it. At this point I'm only a month into my weight loss andstill afraid of sabotaging myself, so I'm better off avoiding trigger foods,instead of just having a little of something. Maybe, hopefully, one dayI'll have enough self-control that I can do that.
Cindylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Height: 5'4"

Good Friday Morning Chicks!!!

I hope you are having a wonderful day!

Cindy - so very proud of you for taking your lunch and resisting the goodies!!! You go girl!!!
Magpie - I agree with others... you have to do what is best for you!!!
Tootsie - Yay for your spouse!!! It is great to inspire others!!! especially in a healthy way!!!
Sam - I like the girls' time!!! It's a great way to pamper yourself and relieve stress.
Rabidstoat - Yay for a cruise!!! You sound super excited!!!
Misstonimarie - You have a plan for the holiday and you can stick to it... just get back to your regular plan after. I said once before "progress not perfection" and anytime I go right back to my plan after venturing off for a day or meal it is progress for me.

Yesterday was a decent day for me. I didn't get in as many steps as I would like but I got in 7000 and once again it was done with mowing for about an hour and a half. We get out early from school today so I hope to get in a few more today as they are calling for rain this weekend. My food has been spot on lately. I have been having my larger meal at lunch and then when I get finished mowing I have a sandwich and I am done for the night. My water is still a struggle, but the good thing is that I don't drink soda, I just don't drink much at all. I know that is a big NO NO so I am going to concentrate on that this weekend more than I have been.

I hope you all have a Fabulous Good Friday!
pjvw34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #13  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

I woke up at 7:30 this morning so just like 9 mins ago. My plans for today are to walk outside for 30 mins to an hour and fold and put away my clothes. Mom and I are gonna pick up Scott at work at 3 today and then we're gonna go to my mom's bank and pull out money for the mortgage and then we're gonna go to Walmart to do our monthly shopping and then we'll come home and put away the food and non food items and then we will figure out what we're gonna do for dinner.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #14  
MeTime

S/C/G: 421/287/220

Height: 5'10

Good morning all. I stopped posting in March because I was having trouble keeping up with all the new people and the thread was just going crazy with lots of posting which is fab. I'm now four months in to my extended Atkins induction and I'm down 65lbs right now. Feeling fab and still losing. I got engaged last weekend and will be getting married this summer. We are anxious to start a family so I'm hoping to lose another 25-40lbs before July when we get married. Hope everyone has a good weekend and Happy Easter.
shan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning everyone. End of a busy week with a family meal coming up on Sunday. Feels kind of good to feel a little stress in my life for a change.

Magpie -- Finding the right approach and understanding where you want to be are the important things. You may find that you change your eating/diet approach several times.

Tootsie -- Being an inspiration to someone else always inspires me as well! And both of you being on the same page is a great support system. Way to go.

Cindy -- Thank you for the dust......I'll add it to the collection that's decorating every piece of furniture in the house! Way to go on sticking on plan with the shower. That made me think about my "need" to be part of the gang and either resisting the will power to stay on plan at social events or maybe more truthfully lacking the desire.

Sam -- Do you feel like there's been a Mack truck running over you? Hope this cold/allergy/whatever goes away. The fact that you're staying on plan is great. Feel better and hope you have a great weekend with your girlfriend.

Pam -- In addition to the steps from cutting the grass, have you noticed an increase in upper body and leg strength? Pushing a mower around the yard seems like it would be the equivalent of doing upper body and chest weight/resistance training at the gym.

Terra -- Sounds like a busy day -- hope you have a good weekend.

Shan -- Nice to see you back with us and congratulations on the engagement and upcoming wedding. Will you be having the wedding at home or there in China? Congratulations on the great progress with the extended induction!!!!!

Ubee -- Hope you had a great visit with your sister and thanks for getting April started for us.

Off to the gym today and then I'm starting on cleaning the house. It needs one of those really deep cleanings as opposed to the lick and a promise approach. Still struggling with staying on plan. I find that I do much better with losing if I set shorter term weight loss goals. My problem is that once I hit them -- such as losing the 10 pounds for March -- I have a tendency to fall back into the unhealthy eating habits. But, even with a big family meal on Sunday, I'm determined to not regain the 10 pounds I lost.

Hope everyone has a great day.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote