Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #76  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone. Having a good day today. I am on day 4 and the scales are positive already so I am excited. It feels so darn good to be on track again. It has been so long and I feel like I have been wandering around, out of control and not knowing what direction was the right one. It just feels right again.

Annie: House is great. I will post pics soon. Steve is wonderful as well and we have settled in and are happy. We were so busy as the house was a mess and we pretty much refinished EVERYTHING from knocking down walls, ceramic tiles, etc... The backyard still needs lots of TLC but we are out of $ and out of energy for now

Penny: Yes as Toni said, they still do charms. I can't wait to get some

Carol: Hey there! Yeah I have been MIA for a few months. One day back on my diet, 2 weeks off.... Back again hopefully to stay. I hope you don't regret your decision. Regret will get you no where. Live with it, learn from it, and now that the summer is coming to an end, get back on the "losing" train with GUSTO!!

Well, I have to finish cleaning the house. My cable dude is coming to fix my cable in the bedroom It hasnt been hooked up since we moved in and I can't wait to be able to watch something in bed... esp the nights that hubby works all night!!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 376/see ticker/195

Height: 6'2"

Hi all,

So, I am being very spazzy about my Dr appointment tomorrow. It’s “only” a diabetes diagnosis or not, not really life or death. And yet, I am extremely nervous.

On to more fun things!!! In October, DH and I are going to take a rode trip to San Diego for our anniversary! I cannot tell you how excited I am about it. On day 1 we are driving about 12 hours, and will stop in Las Vegas. I have never been, but he has and loves it. Since we are there for one short night, I was wondering if you lovely ladies had any ideas where to stay. My biggest want….a comfy, non-smoking room with a king sizes bed. He wants to gamble (which is fine). I also want to meander around the strip a little, go to the Fremont experience, and gamble a little. That means we probably need a place in the center of the strip. I am willing to spend around $200 if I need to (although would rather not). But I don’t want to cheap out and be in a bad location with a uncomfortable bed. The next morning we will get up and drive to San Diego (he lived there for a while as a kid). Again, I have never been. We have three days of fun planned: San Diego Zoo, Sea World (WOOHOO), and the Wild Animal Park. Any suggestions on a place to stay near either the zoo or sea world? We will stay there fore three nights, and then we are going to stay in the Hilton in La Jolla for 3 more nights. I have a conference in the hotel for three days, so those nights, food for me, etc will be on my companies tab. They may even pay for the gas for the trip, which is quite awesome. DH may play a little golf, go see an uncle, and generally relax while I am at the conference all day. After the third day there, we will again drive back to Vegas for one night (not sure if I want to stay the same place we did the first night or not, doesn’t really matter to me). Then back home.

So, any of you have ideas for brief stays in Vegas and San Diego?

Thanks
Angie
Old 08-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #78  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

I have the giggles. Mom came by today to pick up Emily for a few days. Sleep overs at Gandmas ROCK! Anyways. She walks in the door and says...How much have you lost now? It shows! Its only a release of 3lbs since I saw her 3weeks ago.

I am down to one kid for the night. Oldest John is with DH in the truck. So I am going to have a dinner date with Jacob. Have a great afternoon all!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #79  
Chained, Chainge, Change

S/C/G: 379.5/314/185

Height: 5'8"

Debbie54, Thanks, Yes I do sell, I have a shop at Etsy.com, they are a handmade site. My shop can be reached by a link at my flickr profile, I don't usually post it all over in case it is a no-no here.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #80  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

Angie...I love San Diego so much! The weather is wonderful. LA Jolla is gorgeous. Just north of there is Carlsbad which is also so pretty. You will have a great time.

As far as place to stay in Vegas...there are tons of specials now. Try Vegas.com and then go to the individual hotel websites. The problem with Expedia and stuf is a lot of their stuff isn't on the strip. We stayed at Treasure Island and it was nice. The Mirage is next door and it's lovely...as is the Venetian across the street. You should not have a problem getting a king-sized non-smoking room. Is there anything else specific that you want? Rio is a little further down but it's all suites. Venetian is so gorgeous but I also have friends who stayed at Paris this past weekend and really liked it. Good luck!!! Now the Fremont Exeperience is not on the strip. You would need to find a tram or better yet just take a taxi. Oh...my parents LOVED the MGM Grand. So many options!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Hiya Peeps - what a lovely day we had. We went to the gardens - in the rain. I expected a much larger facility but it was wonderful anyway. We went to lunch and lolly gagged around like we were tourists. A wonderful day!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hi all,

I slept in with DH until 11 a.! He stayed in bed until about 2:30. I had closed the door so he could sleep until he was not tired but my older lab somehow opened the bedroom door and woke him up around 2:30. I guess she wanted some snuggle time too. lol.

Tom finally arrived so I am bloaty and filling just gernerally icky. One good thing is that I'm not very hungry and the munchies seem to have disappeared. Yippee!

Penny: Luckily my hair grows quickly.

Carol: I'm so glad that you had a great day out and about. Hugs.

Julee: Congrats on the 3.6 pounds!

Debbie: I have made a few things with polymer clay but I have never tried beads. I do love making small dishes for jewelry etc. and painting them.

Brenda: Glad that things are going well for you and Steve.

Angie: Your trip sounds fun. I have never been to Vegas nor have I been to San Diego so, no help from me.

Julia: Isn't it amazing how 1 pound can make the difference when someone notices it or not. Hugs. What a great thing for your mom to notice.

Well, Just planning on taking it easy today. It si steaming hot here today and no AC.

Blessings all,
Annie
Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #83  
Proud Army Mom

S/C/G: 319.2/265/160

Height: 5'6"

tooth feels better.....my jaw is acting up a bit....I have TMJ and after a dentist treatment it always acts up.....

Dh came to me a few days ago about Fostering.....so last night we went to an meeting and picked up all the forms for it......we start our classes the 30th.....DH would like to adopt.....I'm trying to convince him to get a special needs child.....he loves the kids I work with but doesn't think he can handle one 24/7...........So we are compromising and we will take an at risk kid........one that is older or has siblings or may have emotional issues......rather than physical handicaps....

I hope we are approved...........there is alot of paperwork involved LOL

well I gotta head off to work.....ttyl
Old 08-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #84  

G'morning all!

DMPLS, you constantly amaze me with the amount of family love you have. You are indeed, a special person!! My 8 yr old nephew is autistic and I know first hand how hard it is to deal with a child that has special needs. I see the wonderful way my sister handles him and I know you must do the same. Go girl!!

Annie, yay for snuggle time!!

Hugs to all my Peeps

Luv,
Ratkity
Old 08-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #85  

Height: 5'7"

HI

dmpls_ any child will be blessed to have you and your family. good luck with the process

rat_ hi how are you?

annie_ hi and hugs

carol- glad you had a great day with your hubby.

julee_ hope things are going good for you!

toni- I love your crafts..i use to do alot of crafts but find it hard running a daycare and trying to do crafts. I have to play catch up on the weekend and just dont find time anymore. I really miss it!!

julia_ have you taken measurements lately. I have found sometimes when weight loss seems slower inches are falling off.

realist_ hope things go good at the drs..waiting is sometimes the hardest part.

penny_ hugs and how are you feeling??

brenda_ doesnt being on track feel great!!

anne_ hi if your lurking.

Son and dil are coming home tommorow..any good chicken dishes?? I dont want to spend the day in the kitchen or break the bank.LOL I would love to cook a roast for son but she wont eat it..so im open for suggestions...??
I am feeling better since i increased my calories this week..not sure why but my body is needing more right now.I think listening to our bodies is part of the" living it" process.Guess we will see what the scales think of the increase tommorow.IM really trying hard to make the extra calories in veggies or dairy(an area I lack often).
Hope everyone has a great friday!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #86  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all (yes Debi, I am lurking). I'm behind again, so no personals this morning. I wanted to share my 'peachy' adventures from the past two days. I'm going to cheat though and copy it from my blog. It all started because I developed a sore wrist on my rest day Tuesday...

"So when I realised that I wasn’t going to lift today I figured it was a good excuse to get some of the canning done. So, usually the cherries are available in 10lb, 20lb, and 30lb pails. They have a weird mix of pounds and kg at times. So in my head I’m thinking 20lbs of peaches sounds about right. I want to make peach conserve (for which I need 8 cups chopped) so I figure I’ll get somewhere around 12 quart jars out of what’s left. I have some cherry concentrate left from earlier in the year so the plan was to can them in the cherry juice.

We set off around 12:30. Round trip it’s less than 90 mins so no big deal. Lunch is usually around 2pm so I figure we’ll be back in time. Of course I didn’t count on torrential rain which pushed the trip time out to 50 mins one way. The plant was shut for lunch when we got there so it was a 20 min wait until we could get the peaches. I knew there was a Subway back at the highway so off we went, and had lunch there. I really was quite good. Since it’s been a while since I checked their calorie levels I just went with the 6″ roast beef, no cheese, with mustard. I was really ready for this since for some strange reason I had skipped my morning snack.

So, back to the farm for the peaches. There are no buckets for the peaches, it’s just $2/lb. So I’m thinking still about 20, maybe 25 pounds (so I can get 14 jars out of it - the sterilizer takes 7 at a time). Then they mention that a 40-lb box is $57.50. So let’s see… $50 for 25-lbs or $57.50 for 40-lbs. No contest. The insane woman agrees to the 40-lb box.

Wait, it gets better. I also purchased (frozen) a 1.5kg bucket of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. And before you ask, that’s each, not mixed. Oh, and when the woman went to go get them it turned out they didn’t have any of the small raspberry pails… so she gave me the next size up - no extra charge!

And then, on the way back to the highway. Yes, you guessed it. We stopped at a fruit stand and bought…. fresh peaches. Apricots as well. I know, the two of us should not be trusted.

The canning process wasn’t that time consuming. I started about 3pm, finished the jarring process by 5pm (and I had to bring up more jars than I had ready, and mix up more canning liquid). The last jars came out of the sterilizer by 8pm, and you really don’t need to be around much once you’re just sterilizing them. So I ended up with 24 quart jars of peaches. Half done in cherry juice and the rest done in a very light sugar syrup. Next year I will check the cherry concentrate before we go down for peaches."

(back live now) Yesterday I did make the peach conserve (11 8-oz jars) along with my cardio (yay, supergirl). I wanted to share something that came up when typing a response to one of our new members. I feel like I've run across a secret that not everybody has figured out yet. And I know that everything does not work for everybody, however, I truly believe what I'm about to say.

You do not need to starve yourself to lose weight.

I know one of the toughest things to do is pick an appropriate level of eating. I've struggled with it a lot. When I was over 400 pounds I didn't have a clue of where to start. I started too low. I wasn't that consistent with my logging (and for the first few months I didn't log at all), however, I started at about 1800 calories a day. And I lost weight, boy did I ever. I even binged out of control at times, and still lost weight. The first 80 or 90 pounds came off fairly easily with no regular exercise (although I walked a lot at work, on my feet most of the day). When the weight loss slowed I added exercise, but no calories. It eventually slowed to the point where it pretty much stopped. I exercised more, ate less, ignored warning signs, eventually making myself ill enough to land in the hospital. It was years before I got back into the weight loss mode again and this time I was convinced I would do it better.

Here's the funny part - I started at about 1800 calories a day again back in December. I realise now that I really hadn't learned much. Don't get me wrong, at 358 pounds this time I still lost weight. I still had a few out of control days, but overall I felt I was doing well. When I added in regular exercise in January I made a point to add a few calories. My weight loss was still fairly flaky. Some weeks I'd lose, other weeks I'd gain, occasionally I'd stay the same.

In the beginning of March I started a strength training program (the New Lifting Rules for Women). I wanted something more structured as I felt I had been simply playing with weights. I read the eating requirements and just about died. They were telling me I should be eating 2200 on no workout days, 2500 on exercise days, and 2900 on lifting days (strenuous days). I thought no way I could do that. Now, this program is not billed as a weight loss program but I decided to give it a try. I think the first few weeks I ate 2100 and 2600, although I did manage to get up to 2200 and 2800. I was still doing about 90 mins of cardio at least 3 days a week, as well as the lifting.

By the end of May I had settled into a routine that seems to work for me. I eat 2150 on my rest days (2), and 2400 on the days I lift (3) and also 2400 on the days I do only 60 mins of cardio (2). Here's the interesting thing I just realised today.

Every weigh-in since I increased my calories has been a loss. Well, one gain, but that was during a planned maintenance week where I ate 3000 calories minimum a day and did no exercise. I gained 1.2 pounds that week, yet followed it the next week with a 5.4 pounds loss, so who cares. Although the lifting days are hard work (~90 mins ea) I no longer kill myself with cardio (2 days of 60 mins).

I've found a way of eating I could do forever, and I realise I may actually have a pretty decent metabolism. I'm not going to destroy it with starving my body of the nutrients it needs. I'll settle, if it is settling, for a nice consistent loss... especially if I can eat an average of 2300 calories a day. That's what it works out to (2 rest days, 5 workout days). I still see lots of women around the 300+ mark talking about 1200-1500 calories a day and I wish I could make them understand that they don't have to do that to lose weight. And in fact, could be making their weight loss much harder than it needs to be.

(Oh, and if you're currently eating 1200 calories do not suddenly start eating 2000, you'll almost certainly gain weight. However, start slowly increasing it until you're eating a more reasonable amount.)

The only other thing I want to share is that food is key. I could probably lose almost the same amount of weight without the exercise (as long as I adjusted my calories). I track everything I eat, quite precisely. Yesterday when making jam I popped a couple of maraschino cherries into my mouth and later added the 20 cals to my daily intake. Yes, 20 cals for four cherries. Those little things can really add up.

Okay, preachy mode over. I really tried not to make it sound that way, but I know it probably came off that way. Sorry.

Now I'm off to do chores, lift weights, and lots of stuff. We have company coming on Sunday for dinner and both the house and garden need lots of work. And yes, I still have my math upgrade to finish (big procrastination here). Take care all, and I will be back (even if I'm just lurking).

Last edited by RealCdn; 08-15-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #87  

Greetings again!

Hugs back at ya, deb! I love chicken thighs in the rotisseri or in the crockpot. Even the oven fried lightly seasoned thighs are good. Seasoned flour recipe can be found anywhere on the web. Flour, paprika, pepper, and I put a pinch of cayanne in it. Shake in bag, bake in preheated oven at 350. For how long depends on how many thighs you use.

Anne, you amaze me!!! Super fruity jammer I'm so jealous that you can do all of that and then know what to do with it after you preserve the stuff!! You inspire me with your lifting too !!!

I went to the grocery store and made it out alive and with good choices. With all the wasa/cardboard stories I decided to try the one with the brand name starting with an R. I found french onion laughing cow cheese (the one that I like). I also got celery and carrots to snack on. I've been wanting avocado and fresh tomato open faced sammiches, so got some light bread (I rarely eat bread) and some avocados. One of my co-workers brought fresh tomatoes.. yay gardeners!!!

Hugs and Luv to all!
Ratkity
Old 08-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #88  
Chained, Chainge, Change

S/C/G: 379.5/314/185

Height: 5'8"

We haven't had many ripe tomatoes yet, I am waiting for my TOPS meeting this morning to get some. One of the gals always brings some to hand out. Yum! The deer are eating our beans but we keep watering them so they won't eat the other things.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #89  

Height: 5'7"

I found some wraps that I am in love with..oatbran, whole wheat and flax. they are really good and only 50 calories per serving. Today breakfast was eggbeaters/ff cheese with onion and bellpeppers and tomatoes on a wrap, YUM
lunch was turkey bologna on a wrap with lettuce light mayo and tomato. I ate the rest of the tomato and a bell pepper plus a ww string cheese. I dont know what i will do when i run out of fresh veggies. They taste sooooooo good!!!
I found some cute little snack size plates at the dollar store this summer and have really been enjoying using them.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

Hi chickies,
On my way out to do some shopping but thought I would drop in for a few. Somehow I managed to lose one pound this week. I guess when I think I'm maintaining, I lose....go figure, but either way, I'll take the loss!!

Carol, I bet the gardens were nice even in the rain. Sometimes it great to see things even in inclimate weather. Glad you had such a nice day.

Annie, beads are fun and can be tedious. I love making miniature things so all my beads are mini people, dogs, cats, whatever.
The people on ebay used to really like them (when I sold them) and make jewelry for their little girls to match their outfits. I would go on the little girl clothing sites and see what the newest trend was, and make them accordingly. I even made a dozen donuts and sold them on their for $21! I was stunned that people paid that much for them. You should take some pics of your little dishes and show them. I would love to see them.
How's Joel doing today?

Hi Debi, Brenda, Julee, Julia, Anne, Angie, and all the other peeps

Bernice, bless you and your hubby for wanting to foster!!!

Ratkity, the sandwiches sounds yummy!! Nice and fresh.

Toni, how was TOPS?

Ok, hope everyone has a great day! I'm off to get my healthy stuff!!
Debbie
Closed Thread