Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens 40+ And Ready to Lose #114

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

We start new threads each Monday.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Morning ladies,

Its frickin' cold and, like Lilion, I am so ready to have spring time weather. Not fair that it has decided to be winter now.

I'm off to work early this morning. No exercise this morning but I will do something this evening and then I'm done for January. I'm rather cranky because seems like I have had PMS (tenderness, bloated, heavy feeling, etc) for at least two weeks and no TOM at its scheduled date. And no, I'm not pregnant. Just one of the pleasures of being in your forties - you never know what your body is doing and apparently, it doesn't either. Its like, enough already get it here and over with!

I'm going to the general MD this morning for a meds check and renewal. I'm going back on the anti-depressant just to help smooth out the emotions of work stress. I struggle if that is the right thing to do or not. Maybe I will just get the script and decide later.

Okay, on that note, gotta run.

Lilion - Work hard! You're doing great with the I.M. As far as exercise, make a small goal for yoga twice a week in the evening. Start with something that you know you can achieve. And put it into your plans for the week. As far as work being horrid, you're doing the right thing to put in the extra effort to get caught up. Maybe spring will also be the time to decide to move on. Hang in there!

to everyone. We did a lot of lurking last week. Hope that everyone is getting the support they need. If not, jump on in and tell us so we can help. I know I'm struggling with aggravation at the scale and lack of response from it for all the exercise. Seems like my nemisis is more food than I am being aware. Back to the journal!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #3  

Default Good morning!

Hello chickies, Another week, another start over.

Hello Terri, I am so glad my PM times are over. I quit at 48, so hang in there. I hope work gets easier for you. It is cold here too, but we haven't had the ice and snow that you all got, thank goodness. How is Bear?

I am counting every bite I put in my mouth! I realized that I was getting very lax about counting my points, so back to journaling as Terri said. It is the only way to really keep up with points or calories or whatever program you are on. WRITE it down.

I haven't exercised this morning unless you count vacuuming as exercise. I rearranged my linen closet this morning. I found things in there that I had forgot I owned. And some "I wonder why I kept this old ratty thing?" Three sets of bathroom rugs that I know darn well I will never use again, so into the garbage they go! AHHH! progress! I am slowly making my way through the house with my garbage can in tow. If I haven't used it in a few years, out it goes or to goodwill is it is usable. Feels good.

Well, chickies, break time is over. Have an OP day. Ruth
Old 01-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #4  

Smile

Good Morning Ladies!

Thought I'd pop in long enough to say "Good Morning" and wish you all a wonderful week! Managed to drag myself out of bed this morning and get on the IM. Not nearly as easy with DH gone and, as expected, I'm seriously missing my goodby kisses! But life goes on.

Ruth - I SO need to do what you are doing. Heck, vaccuming would be an improvement for my house! You are right - every point written down BEFORE you eat it is KEY for me! Otherwise I overeat. I get so tired of thinking about food.

Terri - Hope your Dr. visit goes well and all is as expected.

Must run. Monday morning and much to do!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #5  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Morning chickies!

Terri-- I'm right there with ya on the PMS! I was HOPING that last year was going to be it. I've been irregular for the last few years, I mean REALLY wacky cycles and body reactions but no luck yet.

Ruth--That linen cleaning sounds like something I need to do, but my mind always looks at that stuff and says, "well, I MIGHT need it someday for something!" Darn it!

Lilion--Sorry about no kisses. But good for you for sticking it out on the IM!

So far so good on my classes. I'm going to like this schedule. Mondays and Wednesdays I have one class at 7:30 to 8:45 that gets my butt out of bed and then I have the majority of the day to do whatever and then be back to class at 5 -9pm. On Tuesdays I have the morning free, a short shift at work in the afternoon and then to class at 6pm. Then my day off from both is Thurs. and working mornings Fri -Sun.

Luckily, Safeway had some good sales on chicken, steaks and peaches that I was able to buy in bulk, cook off or freeze for meals. I'm pretty well set for a number of weeks now!

I'm still having no problem with my choices of food, but for some reason, i've been eating more of them, especially protein. I haven't gained any weight but not losing either. For now, i'm ok with it. I kind of like the break from being so focused on one thing like I have been for the last 8 months. After a month off from school and all that walking, I'm hoping that the increase in walking again will help.

Hi to everyone that still lurking! Have a great day!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 400/332/200

Height: 5'9"

I can so relate to irregular periods...... I was having them twice a month or more so they put on birth control pills. It is such a relief to know when I am having my period. I was surprised she did this but it was that or live with never know when the next one was coming. I never thought I would appreciate BCP at my age.

Food choices I can so relate to but I am improving. It takes a lot of concentration and planning but I am doing it and so can you!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hey ladies -- I just wanted to mention that a new month is coming and that means a new month of exercise!!

If you're interested in getting into exercise, however much or little, now is a perfect time!

If you aren't aware of how it works, we all set individual exercise goals in terms of minutes for the month. You can set small goals, and that's encouraged if you're just starting out! Then, we track our own progress, but also keep a running total for the group! Last year we exercised almost 200,000 minutes as a group and I'm hoping to top that this year!

Check out the February exercise thread!
Old 01-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Hi Ladies,

Phew! I lucked out. We got about six inches of new snow this afternoon but less than 10 miles away they got 30" in less than 12 hrs. That's a LOT of snow. It's "Christmas snow". Big, fluffy white flakes that are easy to shovel but a b**ch to drive on.

Today's been good. I have some points left so I'm having lime yogurt and a slice of WW choc. cake for a treat later.

TERRI, I'm past PMS ..... I hope. I still get those "nesting feelings" once in a while thou. It used to be the day before I was to start I'd get a need to clean house. Wierd, I know but it did mean at least one day a month I really cleaned.

RUTH, Writing everything that goes into your mouth down REALLY IS the best way to be accountable to yourself. Get that pencil out and sharpened.

LILION, You and that IM are becoming good friends. You keep sticking to it lady. I'm proud of you!

to everyone else. Come on out and chat.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #9  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

JUDY - WTG on that 6 pounds down!

TERRI - TEN-FOUR on the smell of a good horse! That's one of the things I've always loved about old Steega - I love to bury my face in his mane. He smells like my first horse, Lynda, smelled. She achieved equine sainthood, I'm sure.

Hey - I had a rider up on the big goober again this weekend. Went well, even with that flock of startled geese jumping up and scaring him a bit. He's a pretty sensible boy.

Had too many carbs this weekend. Good bread and bagels in the house for DH, but somehow I had more of themthan he did. He's off to Tennessee now. I'm off to tread off the tonage.

Found an old picture of me taken when I first bought Gabe and was still well over 300, but I'm not sure exactly what I weighed. It was pretty scary. I should print it out for the front of the fridge. This spring when I can get a decent pic of us, I'll post them both and we can compare.

HUGS to EVERYBODY!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:03 PM   #10  
Patti

S/C/G: 342/299/135

Ok – Thank God it’s Monday – a fresh week, bright with promise, and a new opportunity to succeed.

Terri – I take anti-depressants – and have for quite a few years. I understand your feeling that maybe you’ll just get the script and decide later whether to fill it. I actually don’t like knowing I’ll have to take it all the time, but it does ease out the stresses of work. It sucks that I cannot handle life – I struggle with that feeling. Depression runs in my family – it’s that simple fact that I have to absorb. Of course you have to decide what to do for yourself. But I do understand.

I also am having that bloated, cranky, wish I would just get the infernal TOM and get it over with. When I feel this way, I can’t even weigh myself. It seems pointless. I don’t keep track of how many days it’s been, but the fact that there’s no regularity is so frustrating. I just know that I’ll feel better soon. And eventually it will just go away, right? Hopefully? I’ll be 46 in a few weeks – there’s hope, right?

I am also concerned about my DH, he recently had a blood test and the doctor called and wants to see him. Diabetes runs in his family and he already was told to lose weight and get some exercise. Right now he is feeling angry that he may need to go on meds of any kind. He won’t call the doctor back, although I have been suggesting quietly. He has been so supportive and encouraging to me with my heart condition. I just want him to be around with me. I pray that he will find the strength he needs to see the doctor and do what he needs to do. Secretly, I feel that if he is diagnosed with diabetes, we will both eat better, and there will be less junk in the house, and we will both be healthier. Please don’t think I wish for him to be sick in any way.

Ruth, thanks for the reminder to write down what I eat. I used to be really good at that.

Ok, I appreciate you letting me talk so much – truly I owe you all for the chance to let go of all this junk floating in my head!

Patti
Old 01-29-2007, 10:19 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileydog14 View Post
He has been so supportive and encouraging to me with my heart condition. I just want him to be around with me. I pray that he will find the strength he needs to see the doctor and do what he needs to do.
Patti dear, I can't think of anything that might have more impact on him than if you just said those words out loud! He needs to call the doctor right away before something bad happens. I hope all is well!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:32 AM   #12  

Smile Good mormning!

Good morning ladies, Are you all staying warm? BRRR! I think winter just arrived in our neck of the woods. Hey, I am from the south, I like nice warm weather! I can't say I love hot muggy weather, but I will take spring all year long. That is the very best time, the time before our bugs start flying and biting. LOL!

I have been sitting here trying to decide what gets cleaned out next? Should I start on the china now that I have the crystal washed and put back, or tackle another closet? Decisions, decisions! I know I need to clean my walk in closet and get rid of some clothes I haven't worn in a few years, Probably becasue they are too tight. All of my jeans are waaaay too tight. Hummmm, there should be a remedy for that, right? Funny, I can't think of what it could be. Maybe

Well, chickies, time for me to get busy and do something. See Ya later, Ruth.....Still coumting and writing!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #13  
Patti

S/C/G: 342/299/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilion View Post
Patti dear, I can't think of anything that might have more impact on him than if you just said those words out loud! He needs to call the doctor right away before something bad happens. I hope all is well!
He does know - we have been quite close in the past few years. I will remind him again that this is ours together. He is being quite stubborn - and he often talks about how he hates the number of pills I take a day. It's the fact that he feels like he's not completely in control. He'll come around - I hope it's real soon.

Thanks for the encouraging message!

Patti
Old 01-31-2007, 05:27 AM   #14  

Smile Good morning chickies!

How is everybody this cold morning? (it is cold here). I am not loving this weather!

I am not sure I had a good day yesterday. When I counted up my calories for the day, I had only had 750. I know that is not enough but I wasn't hungry for more and didn't want to eat. Very unusual for me, but I had a busy day and just didn't eat enough. Today I will cook veggies and try to do better. I drank very little water too. I will get this right yet! Feast or famine, that is me.

DHs brother is having heart problems and stomach problems. I am afraid he may have cancer. He has had most of his nose removed and rebuilt because of cancer. DH lost a brother to cancer last year and one about 15 years ago. His sister died last year with a heart attack. Now wouldn't you think he would be doing what he needs to do for himself? His Dr. wants him to have a colonoscopy and he is so chicken he doesn't want to. I have tried to tell him they aren't that bad, big baby! I am going to try my best to talk him into going to have it done.

Well, chickies, Time to move on. Take care, Ruth
Old 01-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #15  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Just a fly-by for now. Today is WI day and if you've read the other thread you know how obsessive I've been. That darn 100 lb mark has been mocking me. Anyway, I'm trying to be good today!

So sorry to hear about all the health problems in your families. I just had an acquantance pass away this weekend. I've heard no "official" cause of death but he was every bit of 400 lbs I bet and diabetic. All I've heard is his heart stopped. I grieve for his family, but it makes me all the more determined to be fitter and heathier.

I did, however, oversleep and skip the IM this morning - on purpose. I just could not face it today. I'll hit it harder tomorrow for the day off.

Today I'm actually running to the doctor's office to weigh. That's where I started and where my "official" start weight of 328 came from. I parked close so I could run there between hearings. It's COLD out though! 5 degrees when I got up this morning! NOT conductive to getting me outside and to the doc's office!

Well, got to run! Take care ladies, to you all and STAY WARM!

UPDATE - Done with WI - down a tad. 230 on the dot!

Last edited by Lilion; 01-31-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Closed Thread