Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 07:33 PM   #1  

Default diabetes and other problems

Hi,I am new to this but need the emotional support we all need to be successful. I am 53 years od, married for 33 years have 2 daughters and 4 wonderful grandkids. I have been overweight all my life, hate exercise,and all my hobbies are sedntary. On a routine check up I found out I was diabetic,I allready had high blood pressure so the diabetes scared me into action as my father died young from this and it was not going to happen to me. I did well onmy diet and meds, exercise was another story, but managed to loose 30#, and kept my sugar levels fairly stable. But I played with food to see just how much and what I could get awaywith eatng. I was bad and in denial. This years check up wen well until the blood tests came back, sugars where fine but cholesteral bad,more medicine, now I take 6 diff, meds and have been scared serious. I am strugglng but am determined to succeed. I need verbal supprort and encouragement, and also some advice on foods and recipes. I have made small changes and have allready lost 12# this last month, but I have a long way to go. I have struggled with various diets all my life, but this is a wake up call right?? Hope to here from some of you and would be grateful for your support.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:33 PM   #2  

Default Hello

Hi AKROSEY49,

I think there are a few topics already started here for diabetes - look through them also.

Sounds like you are doing the right stuff. I know what you mean about the wake up call. I needed the same wake up call 3 times, so I hope you learn sooner

I was diagnosed at 36 - with high, but on the low-side blood sugars. Got sugar into control very fast and lost about 70 lbs. Gained again. Lost again. Gained again (all over about 7 years), till by last July was up to my all-time high in weight and sugars.

Was also on meds for first time for the last year before that. Suddenly I HEARD the wake up call and started losing (have lost 110 lbs since July 9th, 2001 and got off meds as of last December). Not sure what the trigger was, but it definitely is working.

Anyway - feel free to post any questions or whatever. The only specific I will add is something you already seem to know - get out and exersize. Even if you just go for a walk. I am lucky in that I love my exersize, and being single and have a job that allows for lunch walks, etc. plus I swim) and do about 1-1.5 hours of aerobic a day plus weights 2-3 X week (now - did not start there). But lots of folks on the diabetes forum I read say they have better luck just doing a 15-20 minute walk after each meal.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:21 PM   #3  

Angry At risk and joining you

Hi there! I'm "close" to being diabetic. I'm in the high rick catagory and I am sure that given another year at this weight and this rate, I'll be a full blown diabetic. I'm on metformin for PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and while that's helping with insulin resistance, I'm also on Weight Watchers to get my weight under control. I've been on it for just over a week now and am really liking it, PLUS I'm forcing myself to exercise.

What I've noticed is that after my walks my legs are so very sore, but I'm walking THROUGH the pain. It's simply because I've not realy exercised in a long time. I think my leg muscles have atrophied! Each day is a bit bettter,though.

Anyway, I have a long way to go, but would love to offer whatever words of encouragement I can.

Hang in there!

Debbiebec
Old 05-28-2002, 06:06 PM   #4  

Thumbs up

Hi,
I am Patricia and am interested in this thread about diabetes. I am 60, married 45 yrs; have 3 daughters and 6 grandchildren. Akrosey's story sounds very similar to mine. I have just returned from the Dr. office where I learned my glucose levels have gotten worse. I know I have been in denial for the past few months and haven't done as I should. I would like to know how others have responded to the various diabetic medications. I did not do well on Glucophage or Amryl, both caused a lot of gastric problems. My Dr. has recommended a combination of Glucotrol and Actos. Has anyone tried these drugs? If so, any reactions? Hope you'all are doing well.
Old 06-01-2002, 09:08 PM   #5  

Unhappy Diabetes....and diet

Hi to the previous posters on this thread. I'm Pam. I'm almost 36 and was diagnosed with type II in February. My mom died of complications of type I before she turned 61 (weird too, she always said she wouldn't make it past 60) my sister was diagnosed with the type II about 7 years ago in her early 30's and my uncle (mom's brother) was type II by his early 50's and we won't even go into the aunt's, grandmother and grandfather who all got it in their 60's and 70's so needless to say, there's some sad looking pancreas in my gene pool! I was (still am) overweight (another family defect) and with this family history, you'd think I would have taken better care of myself (my pancreas doesn't understand, it was supposed to skip me!)So I completely and utterly freaked and lost 25 pds in less than 2 months (mainly from being scared and disovering what anxiety attacks were) now that the sugar comes down some, want to pig out more than I know I can, so that's what I'm working on. I was at 235 this time last year and when I saw my female type dr (hadn't seen mine primary physician in over a year cause I knew she'd tell me to lose weight and I didn't want to hear it- so easy coming from a 4'11" women who doesn't top 100 pds) in December, I was down to 227. Now folks, that should have set up bells, whistles, lights, fireworks etc...Let's see eating what I want, not exercising, working 68 hrs between 2 jobs and I lost 8 pds without trying? I ignored the signs as they were creeping up.... increased thirst, and urination, infections. I am now down to 202 and my realistic goal is 180 (that would actually qualify me as one of the thinner folks in my family-just kidding, it's the whole Eastern Europe/Slavic gene's you know when the when woman were supposed to be fat and round and have a stomach?) I pulled some old clothes from the back of the closet that I hadn't worn in about 3/4 years and after blowing the dust off these things I could almost fit in them again, so that tells me how much I had put on during the last few years. I just wanted to join in, I find this website great for those of us who are forever battling the bulge. I say instead of finding a cure for diabetes, we should figure out how to suck the part of the dna that controls weight/metabolism out of the naturally skinny girls and stick it into us! Feel free to write back! It's easier to handle when you know other people are going thru the same thing!
Old 06-02-2002, 07:37 AM   #6  

Angry Hi

I'm Judy, I'm 44. Was diagnosed with Diabetes in January of this year. I've lost about 50 lbs to date (ok, 49) but it was mostly out of fear LOL and now that I'm settled down a little bit about all this and learning the ropes I could use some support too. I'm
so much more active than I was even a few months ago I can't believe it but I am now finding myself 5 months into this journey thinking "Hey, I did so good up to now, I can slack off for awhile"
I need to nix that thought right off the bat now don't I?

For exercise, I bought myself a treadmill and a friend gave me an exercise bike and I walk outside now that it's finally nice out. I'm trying to stay at 1500 calories a day and about 20% fat and that is mostly the 'good' fats like olive oil etc... Trying is the key word there..!!! This was so easy at first but it's getting harder everyday to stick to the 'plan'. I think I've reached a 'comfort' zone with the diabetes as they took me off Glucophage (too many side effects for me and it didn't do anything for my glucose at all) and my A1C was still 5.3

Good luck to all of you and have a good Sunday
Old 06-02-2002, 01:14 PM   #7  

Talking You're my hero!

Justcuz40a, WOW 5.2 A1C. I don't do another test until August. When I was diagnosed, it was 10.9, a month later down to 9 and I'm hoping I'm in the 7 range in August. I'd probably be up you know what creek without the glucophage. I take 2000 mg a day plus I've looked in the "natural" remedies too. I now swear by cinnamon. I take a teaspoon in the am (I buy empty capsules at the health food store and this little machine that holds them to get cinnamon in the capsule. Big mess!) and am using bitter melon and fengureek to help keep it down with meals. I swear an apple in the afternoon and a cup of black tea really helps too!. It's just so hard counting those freaking carbobydrates though. I've spent how many years, looking at the fat and calories, sodium and every other content, BUT carbohydrates! It's ironic, cause I really wasn't eating a ton of bad things (no donuts or bagels in the am because they always left me hungry 2 hrs later anyway, what a waste of calories!) but I was really bad about portion control. I mean, have you read the back of a box of Kraft mac and cheese? There's 2.5 servings in a box? Yeah, right, not when I'm eating it straight out of the pot after I've cooked it. And who's the .5 for anyway? the people who have 1.3 kids? and we won't even go into the whole "fried rice" issue. I tell you, in 10 more pds, that's it, I'm having my favorite Thai fried rice and some steamed dumplings,sugars be damned!. I promise to actually make 2 or 3 servings out of it, not the usual 1 that I've done in the past. It's amazing I wasn't a diabetic long before this. I don't think people remember to appreciate their pancreas! Yes, I have always been a walker. Tried to get 2 miles in 3 to 4 times a week. I started a 2nd job last August and ended up doing a ton of hrs to pay for some new dental work, and I think that's when everything started to hit the fan. Even being overweight as I was, my cholesterol and blood pressure had always been good, I've been drinking over 64 ozs of water a day since I was like 16. So now, I just do 16 hrs at the 2nd place on weekends and exercise 5 to 6 times a week. I've pulled something in my hip, so it's the bike for this week. I do some arm weights a few times a week, and 90 sit ups every morning. I figure the biggest problem area for diabetics is the "visceral" fat around the stomach/abdomen. Well, you know that's the last place the weight wants to leave...so I figure if I can at least get that to turn into some muscle, maybe that will help with the insulin "resistance". Good to talk to you Justcuz40a
Old 06-02-2002, 05:49 PM   #8  

Default Oh My God serving sizes LOL

Serving size was THE biggest thing for me to learn.. WOW 1/3 of a cup of rice is a carb serving LOL I was eating tons of it before the big "D" , to fill up!! I was in love with rice and now I eat none to extremely little of it. I also wish for fried rice.. ohhh the ache in my heart when we go out for chinese and I have to skip it. I have found that Beef and vegetables or Chicken and Broccoli entree's don't mess with my blood sugar much and I just bank my fat gms for the day so I can enjoy. (A dietician told me I could do that when I knew I was going out... hehe very little fat all day and then get the whole shabang at dinner.. lol but she said it was ok and it doesn't matter what time of day you eat it, it still counts for the day)

I've discovered so many great 'substitutes' now, that I don't feel like I'm missing much other than the fried rice and oh yeah french fries.. the oven ones from scratch are just not the same as McDonalds or Burger King lol My son and I have been enjoying Hormel Fat Free Hot Dogs this weekend on Light Whole Wheat buns... I was so hungry for a hot dog and these are great. Get these stats...! Hot dog: Calories = 45 Fat gms = 0 Carbohydrates = 2 gms. Light Wheat bun Calories = 80 Fat gms = .5 and Carbohydrates = 14 gms (for the whole bun)
So that was a low cal, mostly no fat, and only one carb serving and sooooo good... I had one last night with corn on the cob, a salad, a caffeine free diet Dr Pepper and I felt like I was cheating at a nice picnic. LOL

Tonight it's smoked turkey breast and what ever else I decide to fix with it..

See you all later and have a nice night.
*J
Old 06-03-2002, 12:54 PM   #9  

yup, all about that lousy portion control. I've looked everywhere for some low fat (not even so much low fat as low carb buns) and haven't located any. Wonder makes the low fat, but 1 bun still has 23 carbs, so why bother. I've put my low fat hot dogs in my low fat/carb bread and eat them that way. Yeah, I can't remember the last time I had some rice either. Sometimes it's easier to stay away than to try and have just a little. I'm kinda of sorta following the weight watchers system to lose weight. I try to stay at about 6 point at breakfast, lunch and dinner and then allow a few points for some yougart and a piece of fruit during the day. If I work out, I get to have a little snack before bedtime (actually I always try to eat something before bedtime, so I don't wake up in the middle of the night) but I save that time for a couple of rasberry Milanos or 2 low fat chip's ahoys and/or 1/2 of healthy choice low fat vanilla ice cream. Nice way to end the night.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:00 PM   #10  

Default from ak rosey

Hey, Pamela and Judy, and everyone else..I forget to check this post and there you are..how nice to here from you..it helps to talk about our special problems, besides diabetes, i now have to whatch my colesteral..i am doing ok..it took me a year to adjust to the no sugars..i was the deseart queen..i was so bad i would put jelly on garlic toast.. and loved to bake..it has been a big adjustment but boy do i feel better.. and i am loosing and i know i will get used to the lofat too..i just want to be healthy..i have along way to go ..my goal now is to move the clunker from the 300,s to the 200,s.. i have about 15#s to loose and i will do it..all of your posts have been so helpful..i have trouble finding lofat products esp.breads here in alaska..i dont eliminate them just am more careful about reading labels..heres to our continued success..ak rosey
Old 06-04-2002, 08:35 PM   #11  

Let me ask you gals something? What do you consider to be high sugars? You know all you ever hear about is keep your sugar in control to avoid long term complications...what is your idea/conception of high sugars? I wake up usually around 115-120 and consider it pretty good if I don't go over 190 about 1-2 hrs after a meal (by the 3rd hr, I'm heading right back down to the 130 range again) In fact, on Sunday afternoon, I got a little shaky, I checked my sugar, I was at 96. What's normal for some has me shaking like I'm low. I was wondering if that could mean I just function at a higher sugar level. I'm kind of at a plateau weight wise, I know my levels good be better if I get that next 20 pds off. I can do the exercise, it's still about keeping the portion control in check. Hey JustCuz, I see you are also on diabeteschat.net also. I've been reading out there too for information. I've tried to sign on 3 times now without any success, so eventually I'll email the help person and figure out why I can't get on. Good chatting with everyone.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:06 PM   #12  

Angry Good sugars

Hi there everyone,
For me good blood sugars are between 100-120. If I go below 100 I can start to feel the shakes like you mentioned. Not everytime but more than I like. I have had hypoglycemia all my life (since age 6 my mom says) so I don't like that feeling at ALL!!
I test in the morning (fasting), before meals, and at bedtime. My new doctor told me I didn't have to test after meals because she knows I'm a diabetic and it will be high after I eat, she wants to see if it's still high when it's time to eat again. Right now, it never is. I limit carbs to 45 gms at a meal max so I don't go too high because when I go over 180, I crash fast and then I get sick. I used to test after meals, 1 hour, 2 hours etc.. and it showed over 3 months that I was going high sometimes (200+) but by 3 hours I was at 80. I wake up in the morning between 90-120 everyday and before meals are usually 90-100. Now that I have the meals figured out and the exercise going on I think my body is doing as it should finally. My doc said I have a 'lazy pancreas'. it produces insulin but not when it's supposed to when it senses food, it just does what it does when it wants to. Last night I went to bed at 108 and woke up this morning at 104 so I guess I've licked to Dawn Phenomenon for now. Now I know this could all change in a heartbeat so I'm very thankful.

My cholesteral went from 242 in January to 177 in April so it's working for that too..

Yeah I read and post at diabeteschat.net. Not much going on there lately though. I've heard others having a problem with signing on too.

Peace
Old 06-04-2002, 10:31 PM   #13  

Default from akrosey

Hey girls..I too have wondered what was to high forsugar levels..when i was diagnosed a year ago i tested 4 x a day before meals and before bed.. the sugar levels stayed around120 to 130..i panicked if they went over 150..meant i ate something i shouldnt.. then when i had this years check up the colesterol was to high so i started lo fat-no fat besides the locarb no sugar..my levels are now between96 and 120..usually around 105..If they are really lo, below 90 i get shakky, head ache, cranky, and agitated.. if they go to high over 150 i get sleepy and lethargic..i feel pretty good when they stay about 110..when i go to bed the level is usually about 105 or so and when i get up they are sometimes 120 oe even 130..why is that..i take glucophage x after supper and then i dont eat again until breakfast..so donot know why it goes upduring the nite???also i know fruit really raises my sugars so avoid it almost always and i miss it..i also limit the carbs. to about 2 servings a day.. like 1/2 bagel 1/2 b potatoe..or 1/2 cup of pasta.. im pretty strict and thats why i am hungry all the time..or, are all diabetics hungry all the time and its part of the disease??i splurge once inawhile if we eat out, or at aparty.. as little as i ahve been eating you would think i would shrink to nothing,not so..altho thats where exercise comes in.. i know that iam to sedentary.. the first year i lot fast, about 40# then leveled off, at xmas, iwas really bad with my eating and gained back 10.. but kept off the 30 so that was good.. now since the high colesterol and whatching the fats i have lost 18# and feel great.. and have added some exercise. i am determined but know i am at a critical time for me.. i have never stayed with a diet past 6 weeks and i am feeling bored withthis all..so one day at atime right.. am glad to here from you all and what works for you.. let me know.. talk soon..rosey
Old 06-05-2002, 06:27 AM   #14  

Angry hi

Hi Rosey,
The reason your blood sugar goes up during the night is because your body senses that you are going low so it sends out stored glucose to assist. A normal process in the body.

I read that you only eat 2 carb servings a day. That's would be why you are hungry all the time. The body changes uses all food carbohydrate, fat, and protein in different ways. Carbs are turned to glucose which is the 'fuel' for every bodily function and with Diabetes the insulin production to convert that 'fuel' is either limited or resistant.
I eat 3 carb servings at each meal (3) and 1 serving at each snack (3) thoughout the day and while I get hungry when it's time for the next meal I am not hungry all the time. So in answer to your question are all diabetics hungry all the time, I'd have to say no. Everyone is different in how they handle certain carbs but everyone needs them to function. I don't think starving yourself so that you have good blood sugar is the answer, although it was 50 years ago it's very different now. I saw a dietician at the hospital here a few times and while she wasn't much help to me at all she did give me a few pointers on eating.
I've designed my own plan and it's working for me. I was on glucophage but they took me off of it because I had terrible side effects from it and it didn't do any good anyway. The doctor I had then was trying to control the after meal highs and the glucophage didn't do anything for that. My new doctor told me I don't need any meds right now. :0) I've read that a typical healthy diet for anyone is good for a diabetic. 3-4 carb servings at a meal and 1-2 at snacks throughout the day. Your snacks could be fresh fruit and if you stick to the serving sizes recommended it could be included in your diet.
I'm not telling you what to do at all, just suggesting as this is what works for me. I hope you can find a plan that works for you so you can stick with it and see some success in diabetes and weight loss. I've been sticking to mine for almost 5 months now with occasional 'sways' but nothing serious. I think once you find what works for you you'll be ok with it.
I eat a lot of fresh veggies now in place of the lowfat carbs (rice, pasta etc...) that I used to eat trying to lose weight. I still eat those things but measured out so it's the right amount.

I you need some help with a meal plan to try just let me know and I can see if I can help. Starving yourself to have good numbers isn't the answer because sticking to that will be so hard, it would be for anyone!!

Peace Rosey
Old 06-05-2002, 02:06 PM   #15  

What I've learned about myself if that I go high in the morning with almost no carbs(I take my am meds with 1/2 container yougart when I get up) and then have an eggbeater and 2 pieces bacon or my favorite is 2 whole grain waffles with some ricotta cheese in between(sometimes strawberries on top)around 9am so that tends to hold me over to lunch -that's still in the 30 carb range, but since the waffles are whole wheat, I don't spike as high so I try to keep that to a bare minimum. For lunch and dinner, I'm the same as Justcuz, I try to not eat more than 45 grams and I usually have an afternoon snack of the 1/2 container yougart of a small apple (the pectin seems to help bring sugar down) along with a cup of black tea (helps bring the sugar down) -Now AKRosey, you mentioned you wake up higher. The diabetes educator stressed to my class the whole time that we should always have a bed time snack of a little carb and protein to help keep you stable through the night, so that the little ole liver doesn't start shooting sugar out before it needs to and bring you up. That's were I mentioned before I have a couple of cookies and a little skim milk or even some low fat icecream. In fact, I've heard a lot of those dieticians talk about the ice cream before bed. It has some fat, so it metabolizes slowly through the night. I was having issues of always waking up at 4:30 am after this all started and it's finally gone away and I can sleep later now. Thanks for your inputs. I've been reading some view points on the fact that dr's say don't worry about the post meal spike, it's natural, as long as you come back down, but then I've read where the specialists think that's the link to the "long term" complications. It's like you can't win! For dinner this week, I cooked some ground turkey w/taco seasoning mix, cooked some brown rice and cut up some tomatoes, onions,lettuce and some low fat cheese. Throw it all together for a taco salad with a spoonful of salsa and low fat sour cream. It really fills me up for the evening.
Closed Thread