Old 10-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Default What do you DO all day?

Or "how much do you move?"
Right now, I'm at a temp job that has me glued to the phone for 8 hrs of the day. I'm not complaining, though. There are worse ways to spend a day. I'll be moving into a job where I'll also largely be behind a desk also, so am trying to fit in my "activity" quota wherever I can... (Walking around at lunchtime, parking my car farther away from the building, blah blah blah)

So out of sheer curiosity, how much do you move around during the day?
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #2  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I too am at a desk. When I go to the ladies room, I also do some little exercises. I push off the counter/sink about 20 times--like a push up, but off. I might do some squats too. There is a group of gals who, at lunch time, walk the staircase. We are floors from 9 to 15, and they start at 15, walk to the ground, walk back up and down once more. I've done it on occasion. The only problem with it is once you are in the stairwell, you cannot get out until you reach the ground. You can't get back into the offices. If you go alone and get hurt, you're in trouble!
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #3  

Lol about the stairwell... only not so much... Sheesh, the lengths we go to in order to keep fit!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I no longer have the office job that I used to, but when I did sit at a desk all day I had a list of ways to improve movement:

1) Park further away from the office. Often on the upper level so I'd be forced to walk some stairs down.

2) Take the stairs in the building. No elevator.

3) Make any excuse to get up from my seat. I'd stand to throw things in the recycling bin. I'd make copies immediately. I'd get up to use the rest room. I'd stand and stretch my legs once an hour. I'd go to get water from the break room. Ask a question to a person directly instead of e-mailing them.

4) Move even while sitting. Stretch my feet out. Swivel in my chair a little.

5) Pack my clothes and use the gym. Every day after work. There was a gym downstairs and I LOVED going after work.

6) Use my breaks for more movement. A quick swing around the office building or using a treadmill if the weather was bad.

All those things helped me get more active during the day.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #5  

Lovely ~ So true... And I find that those little excuses to get up and move actually do wonders for my productivity on the whole. Plus, it doesn't hurt to look and be moving when the boss swings by.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #6  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Not a lot. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I walk around the house, up and down the stairs and on Monday's I walk around the hospital for two hours since I am a volunteer. I don't have a job outside the house so I neither sit all day at a desk or walk around like a crazy person (nurses, retail, etc). I'm not sure if I move around more or less than someone who is at a desk all day. I was at a desk my last job and I didn't move much those days I worked full hours. I do have the ability to move a lot more being at home.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I stand, walk and squat all day long. Welcome to the life of a high school teacher. I really should wear a pedometer to see how much I walk in a day...

I always take the stairs at work, and look for excuses to walk downstairs. I try and stretch out my errands as well--walk to classroom first, and then to the office, even though I pass the office on my way to class. Its an extra walk and a trip up/down stairs.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm a resource room teacher so while I don't have a whole classroom of students, I'm forever walking around.

I'm also running around the building, up flights of stairs all day to speak with other teachers, grab my students, etc. I sometimes wonder how much I burn just at work!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 211.4/207.6/150

Height: 5'7.5''

I'm a dog groomer so I'm standing all day except for the 30 minutes I have for lunch. I'm also lifting dogs. When I get off work, I usually go to the gym for 1-1.5 hours.
Mommywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Less than I should. Since I'm funemployed I have a lot of freedom and it often gets squandered. I'm in an exercise rut, but I'm trying to enforce the "no showers unless you've just exercised" rule.

Today all I did that was "active" was spend about an hour outside squatting and trimming grass. Yesterday, however, I walked 3.5 miles, raked leaves vigorously for an hour, and climbed a small mountain.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

I'm another desk bound person. I sit and write policy papers or board updates, or manipulate spreadsheets for most of my day at work. I don't try and do tons while I'm at work if I'm honest as I can't really think of ways to add in extra exercise. I like the suggestion about the bathroom push-ups though, so may have to steal that one

I walk into work via the train station, so that's 2.1 miles, I work on the second floor, so walk up & down the 2 flights of stairs. If I go out to lunch, which happens to be Subway a few times a week, I'll walk into town, which is a mile round-trip. And I also walk home from work, so another 2.1 miles. That tends to be my enforced exercise as I like to call it as I don't drive, and in some cases (like lunch) it's quicker to walk then to drive.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #12  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

It depends a lot on the day for me. As an assistant teacher I spend some days mostly at my desk, with one or no classes to go to. Other days I participate in five or six classes. The calories I burn from doing work (not including BMR burn) range from about 150-600 depending on the day. Whatever the day, though, there tends to be a fair amount of desk sitting.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214.3/200.4/150

Height: 5'9

I'm a house wife. I'm up at 7am and don't go to bed until 11pm-12am most days.

I'm cleaning, doing laundry/ironing, running errands, playing with my dogs, cook 2-3 times a day, play taxi cab and also help my fiancee with paper work for his business.

It seems like I'm always picking something up and putting it away or moving around the house. I used to go barefoot around the house but my feet would ache so badly, so my croc sandals have been a huge help.

I also do my work out in the morning (I have several fitness videos I'm starting to do - Jillian Michaels, TurboFire, Zumba) so I move to that as well.

I used to work in a clothing store before staying at home and that was definitely a tough job phsyically. I kind of miss it from time to time.
gnat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #14  

I'm also at a desk all day, but I do walk to and from the metro every day, which adds up to about 40 minutes of walking. I will also try and take a stroll for at least 10 min during my lunch break, or go to a coffee shop that's further away, etc. And I get up to talk to people instead of calling, emailing, etc.

But really, it's a lot of sitting!
DClady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #15  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I work at a cinema, so unless I'm serving tickets I'm walking around the cinema, cleaning the screens or behind the food counter constantly moving back and forth. I know I'm lucky in that respect!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote