Mixed Lentils Dhal
115g/4oz/quarter cup of red lentils
50g/2oz/quarter cup of green lentils
600ml/1 pint/2 and a half cups water
5ml/ 1 tsp ginger pulp
5ml/ 1 tsp crushed garlic
1.5ml / quarter tsp ground turmeric
2 fresh green chillies, chopped
salt to taste.
For the 'Tarka' (Optional)
1 onion, sliced
1.5ml / quarter tsp mustard or onion seeds
4 dried red chillies
1 tomato sliced
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander or mint
1. Put everything in the top list in to a saucepan and bring to the boil - simmer until lentils are tender. This depends on the freshness of your lentils - ours took 30 mins.
2. Mash the lentil mixture with a fork or end of a rolling pin until the consistency of mushy peas. If it looks too dry add in more water, if its too wet then simmer some more.
And thats it! Very easy.
If you want you can make the optional Tarka topping - just heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan and fry the onion with the seeds, chillies and tomatoes together for a couple of minutes and pour over the lentils.
Garnish and serve.
Nutritional info per portion (including the tarka topping)
Energy: 162 cals (without the oil in the topping it is 102 cals per portion)
Saturated fat: 0.74g
(Heaviest/start weight @ October '05)
My Spring Challenge:
* Ignore the scales *
* Eat a healthy low fat, low GI diet focusing on portion control *
* Stop unhealthy snacking *
* Move more *
* Keep a diet/exercise diary *