Old 11-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Default Friends around the world #9

To go back to check up on the old place click here .

In our quest for a new home, I have forsaken the castles of Europe and bought us a village. We have moved to the beautiful island of Santorini. Welcome to our new home.

This village offers lots of advantages. Own swimming pool as you can see, close proximity to all the beaches, schools and shopping. At the present time there is some work going on to make it compatible for our wheelchair and incapacitated people and easier for them to get around. Golf buggies will be here by the end of the week. And there is plenty of room for extras and new people as well. Come visit for a short time or a long while. You'd be welcome.

There is a quiet area at the other end of the pool. You need to be able to swim to get there. Here it is.

For our holiday home this time. We are off to Japan. Photo will be coming later - I have to resize it.

Have fun in the sun all you worldly chicks.

Last edited by Shad; 11-23-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #2  

Default Okay - Holiday home sorted

This one is strictly for the kids and for the young at heart. Enjoy

Last edited by Shad; 11-23-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:08 AM   #3  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

And I said to myself, it's wonderful, WONDERFUL, oh so wonderful ...

You have done it again Shad. What a fabulous place. I just love it - from the sparkling pools to the treetops. Warm and beautiful at night and a place to swim all the time. Will be hard to get me out of the pool and off to my job to pay for my share of the village purchase.

Thanks very much for the cool place. I'm off for a nice swim to the quiet place before I set the turkey on the grill and start the cooking madness for the day.

to all the chicks. Will check back in when the forum reopens.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:25 AM   #4  

Shad, what lovely new digs. I like the lit pool for nighttime swims. Have you found an adequate number of Teverna owners so we can ALL have Shirley Valentine experiences? How impressive that you can ALSO organize the birds. I'll have to look up Grevilla Bushes... My grandmother used to live on a street named Grevalia... but I doubt it's the same. We have multitudinous grackles, starlings and cowbirds, but they are NOT organized. The Cardinals and Juncos do better.

I'd rather chat with you all than play housekeeper in preparation for DD's arrival tomorrow. I'll do this indulgence, then turn radio on and clear the decks... You must all know by know that ANY horizontal surface is likely to become an "area for filing" at my house. I can see a keepsake box of photographs, about 2 dozen bookc, 3 dozen magazines, some knitting "stuff'" and assorted stacks of mail. I hope it doesn't take more than an hour....

Holly: I am so pleased to know someone who keeps her cool when a 4 year old goes at it full throttle. I spend many hours of my work week trying to help parents NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY when their kids are angry. Way to go.. especially with weather stresses etc. I hope you aren't in the 2 feet of lake effect snow!

Happy: I'll try the cucumber stuff as soon as the peeling stops. The Radiation machine was apparently taking a vacation day early, so they canceled today's treatment. I'm hoping that 5 days off will appease Thelma. Who knew that wearing a bra caused so much friction?

Ceejay: wishing you safe travels to MO... I don't remember whether you were heading towards St. Louis or where.... I hope you are far enough south that you miss the snow! Congratulations on your bonus... and to your company for giving it to you when it's SO EASY TO SPEND!!

Meadow: I'd love to get to the BC gardens, I hear they are spectacular. We've been to Shaw gardens in St. Louis... there are formal ones in the city proper, and a sort of experimental number of acres outside of town. The Chicago Botanical Gardens in Evanston were amazing... I never knew how many towns had such beauty that was eclipsed by advertising for shopping malls, motor speedways or amusement parks. Sheesh. If you get to Northern California, near San Jose, be sure to go to Filoli I should have known it was used for lots of Television shows... but mostly it was gorgeous... And like the great gardensk it really doesn't much matter what season you visit.

Teel... I didn't realize YOU were having rough weather.... I hope there are nice cozy fires and pubs you can pop into for tea/ale and conversation. I've just come across a writer I really like who's from Edinborough if I remember right: Kate Atkinson. Slyly humorous with very creative plots. I'm reading her newest, Case Histories and got an earlier one too.
You can find more about her and read two short stories here

I'm off to the detritus heap. Wish me well... with no ADD attacks!

Hoping you are happy and have much for which to give Thanks!
PainterWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:37 AM   #5  
Radiate self!

WOOT! Greece!! Shirley Valentine moment... we get a hunky Greek to kiss our stretch marks and then hop into the Mediterranean naked
Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:38 AM   #6  

Oh Shad, I LOVE this home. So peaceful. And I will be hanging out it the tree house too!!!!!!!!

PW~ how do you know about lake effect snow, LOL!! I am under 2 feet of it right now. Snowed in , School closed!! Weehee. I enjoy this very much!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving you glorious south of the border angels!!!!
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:44 PM   #7  

Default Happy Thankgiving to all the American Friends

Mooz from Ireland sent me a message about thanksgiving. Unfortunately I can't access it from the office, so I will post that tonight.

Happy - so glad you like the new place. Enjoy the swimming. I will see you in the quiet place from time to time although probably it won't be quiet when we get together. Enjoy the family, the turkey and the time off work.

Painter - love those gardens you put in the link. The house looks pretty good as well. Maybe we will have to think about buying it up for the gang here when we move again.
I had a word with the Real Estate agent and ordered some Taverna and the owners for those wanting the Shirley Valentine experiences now and then. All you have to do is to order the variety required and note the time and date. It shall be done.
Grevillia (sp?)bushes are more or less Australian natives. Have flowers like bottle brushes or toothbrushes. Picture below;

Good luck with the tidying. Just move everything from one place to another - at least it will look like you have done something! :blush:

For some reason, most of my toolbars do not seem to be working. I have to type in the commands. Maybe it is something to do with yesterdays upgrade.

Hi, Meadow and Holly - good to see you have moved in and made yourself comfortable. Gotta go do some work and I need a coffee badly, I've just seen something of what I have to do today.

Last edited by Shad; 11-24-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:04 PM   #8  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Shad ~ the new place is gorgeous! I love the thought of swimming through the soothing waters...ahhhh.... of course, there could be some of us that might be lurking with water balloons waiting for the unsuspecting to come strolling or rolling underneath a particular tree. You know that most people would complain about a two hour train ride... our Shad looks for and enjoys the adventure!

Meadow ~ I'm very impressed that you are doing the ABdominal WATP! Of course, with your dedication to AB, it isn't a surprise, but that particular WATP is hard!

Ceejay ~ That's great that you got your Christmas bonus this early so that you could plan on it for your Christmas shopping. Wishing safe travels for you and a wonderful visit. Some of the stores here are advertising that are going to be open tomorrow at 5:00 AM! I'm not a Black Friday shopper, as they call the day after Thanksgiving, here. You are very brave!

Happy ~ sounds like you are having a great visit with the family. Did you make the Christmas cookies? When we get the crowd together we never get have the things done we'd like to do. What do they think about your house in TN?

Holly ~ I am really amazed by your organizational skills - I think I would have lost track of a kid or two by now or at least an Avon order! No, the Avon orders don't move from place to place, they are probably easier to keep track of!

teel ~ thanks for the news of Linus. I hope your computer is fixed and you are staying in snug and warm with the bad weather. Ick.

PW ~ tender hugs for your tender peeling skin. It is annoying to spend a fortune at the grocery store and then realize there is nothing to prepare for the next meal. We've got turkey mignon steaks on our grill and potatoes baking in the oven. We're going light with just the two of us this year.

Nae ~ your craft room sounds wonderful. I owe some costumes to the grandkids. The youngest granddaughter has just learned that all the boy cousins have super capes!

Melly ~ miss you! The uniformed ones are more than likely searching the hallways of the new abode looking for you....

Have I missed anyone?? It was forgetfulness, not intentional.

For thanksgiving, Slim and I went for a bike ride then went to the movies to see I Walk the Line. We enjoyed the movie. Not necessarily the traditional Thanksgiving holiday, but with all the kids out of town or out of the country, we decided to do the things that we wouldn't ordinarily do. We did some landscaping planning and trimming today. Tomorrow we may begin some work on laying some flagstone. We're planning to extend the patio.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:35 AM   #9  

Hi Tig~ your thanksgiving sounds delightful!!!

Shad~ I must say I dont miss the daily commute. You are brave, LOL!

Pw~ sending soothing cyber compresses for the girls! Hope your Thanksgiving was glorious.

Meadow~ still LMAO over your last post. You are so interpretive.

HUGS to all the other chicks!!!!!!!!!
Snowed in again. Makes for a 4 day weekend!!!!!! It is beautiful out today. Not storming. Big fluffy flakes falling.
The playschool auction was great. I got some much in demand local hockey tickets. had to hip check( seriously) and threaten a couple of guys to get them.
My body is sore from hours of shovelling and then standing all evening. It feels good. I have several hours of shovlelling today once it stops snowing.
DS has 3 hockey games this weekend. I have the farmers market all weekend. there is a Christmas tour coming out from the city.
Much tidying to do again.

Food was better but not great yesterday. Aiming for great today.

The suitcases under my eyes have carry on luggage today.

Thursdays post~
Major reality check!!! So, yesterday I just kinda of ate when hungry, didn’t stress about content. Technically nothing was “bad” but the craving and hunger was insane. I was lethargic and my body has been achey. For a while I have been limiting my carbs and roughly following South Beach. As with other ideas and plans I am not really losing weight. I was not gaining tho. I had all the turkey fixins on Sunday and then left over stuffing, pie etc....yesterday I had a turkey sandwich for breakfast. I was ravenous by 10 and had another sandwich. I had a salad for lunch but was starving an hour later. For supper I made turkey tetrazini with whole wheat pasta and salad. I ate well. I went for a haircut at a neighbours and came home and ate all the leftovers that were enough for another dinner for 4.
This is how I ate all the time for a couple of years prior to trying to get healthier( 2 years ago). I felt like crap.
It would appear that although my weight loss stinks, how I feel physically is massively improved. Nice wake up call.

Today I will follow south beach phase 1.I will not eat bread.

We are snowed in. All the schools are closed. Most of my extra kids are home. One crazy Mom brought her kids but I assume she will be back soon.

There is a silent auction at the playschool and I have an Avon basket in it and I wanted to take up brochures and network.I hope it is still going. A friend is taking books to another town and stuffing mailboxes for me in exchange for my discount off her products. This is my big holiday push time. I have til Dec 4 to to make the most of this. My dear hubby was kinda sweet and thoughtful last night. So unusual that I was looking for an ulterior motive and there wasn’t one. LOL!

Today i want to house clean and do laundry. I will do my yoga tape. I have a few hours of shovelling to do outside!

I did a “gossip” test last week. I had become friends in town here with a family. it seemed there was always drama. I took a big step back when it involved my kids.They denied everythign and had lots of excuses and blamed others. The Dad had confronted me in Sept. Stupid drama. At storytime last week the woman told me something about someone. I saw the someone the next day and congratulated them. It was not true. So the someone called the woman, the woman called me yesterday to tell me I had misunderstood her. LOL!!! NOT! So these people who have been telling me they are not involved in hurtful gossip and drama with others are full of crap. I was beginning to doubt my gut feelings.

Okey dokey. Coffee is done. Healthy, protein breaky coming up!!!
Old 11-25-2005, 09:24 AM   #10  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Default Ggod Thing There Was A Forwarding Addie!!

Good Morning My Friends!
I haven't read all the back pages as yet and hope all is well. I want to thank you though for the good thoughts cause I could feel them. they were much needed and well used! I am not 100% but well on the way.
I am also terribly bored! If all goes well, I will go shopping on Monday and do some late Xmas buying. It is definiter now that Richie's kids are coming for about 2 weeks so we need to get a few things. Thank God they will all be staying at his parents!
Thanksgiving started off on the wrong foot the night before with a huge blow-up between the big kids. Momma smacked the appropriate people in their appropriate heads and all is well again. Holiday stress....who needs it!
the Mayor dropped off three complete turkey dinners from the local diner when he heard we weren't cooking and I was housebound. "anything for you baby" was his answer. Gotta love the man.
I also love the new house!!! Ahhhhh to be in the sun again and feel it's healing warmth. Great choice Shad. And at a perfect time too!! It was 21* last night!!! But the snow passed us by. I was thinking of Shad and my other Aussie friend......she was recently complaining of having to use the A/C so much already!!!
Well, I guess that's all for now. I have a lot of catching up to do and a whole weekend to do it in! I do so love these long holiday weekends. Have a great weekend too and take good care of yourselves.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #11  

Default Good Morning, Glorious morning

The sky is blue fro the first time in a week and I have better rush to get the washing out and drying for the prediction is more showers and storms for the afternoon and evening. We've had a lot of shower and storm activity over the past week. Prediction is that is will last through to next Tuesday. So the idea is to get the chores done while it is fine.

I bought my tickets for Adelaide yesterday. Rung the son who said - so don't you want to visit me for long then. I explained that I have to go back to work to finish up some jobs before my contract finishes in January. What I haven't told him yet is that my next job may be in South Australia and I may be back for 3 months to work close by - well close by Australian standards - about 500k away. I really am not sure I want this one, but it may mean the difference between a new kitchen this year and the Italian trip or just one of the above. I finished paying the car off yesterday. So my debt now is one small mortgage, about $1000 on my credit card which gets paid off come December and $31.95 on my internet connection. Feels good to be almost debt free again. The extra from the car payment will now go to the house. I'd like the mortgage to be gone by this time next year as well. This will be the third time I have paid off a house - twice for this house. At least if the worst happens now, I shall have a roof over my head which no one can do me out of and I can retain independence on my own.

Strewth that was a bit of a ramble was it not. Must be feeling introspective this morning.

Mel - good to see you back and posting. Was trying to ring you, but as usual your phone is stuck on the engaged signal. So the kids are fighting again? Aaahhh well some healthy discussion is to be expected from time to time, but why do you have to become involved?? Hope the weather becomes fine for the little ones. Kids indoors + wet weather equals total boredom, squabbles etc.etc. Gotta love your Mayor. The Mayor here would not even know I was alive, unless of course I didn't pay the rates. He only appears come election time and to tell the truth because I am a resident and not a citizen and therefore don't have to vote, he couldn't careless whether I was here or not.

Holly - have fun in the snow. What is 'lake effect' snow anyway. Sounds like you are in your element with the weather up there. Keep pushing those Avon orders. As you say, you have to make the hay while you can. Too late to say I should have done more after the closing date. I presume there is a lull in buying the products after the Christmas rush is over?

Tig - good to see you in and posting with us. Water balloons in the tree house? No there is a naughty thought. Are you sure the Thugs didn't get their outlook from you??? The tree house looks a fun place does it not? As for the train ride, well since one is stuck on a train and there is no other place to go, one simply has to make the best of it. A laugh or two to while away the time is far better than people swinging fists or abusing the train driver - although come to think of it, there was a bit of verbal abuse floating around every time he made an announcement. However one thing about the Australian psyche is that he/ she (usually he) is never lost for a word to say about any given situation. The blokes are usually quite laid back and laconic and mostly amusing, the 'sheilas' can get loud and antsy. But it really amuses me to find each and every one of them prepared to organise everyone except themselves.
Way to go on planning and landscaping and doing it yourself. Only way to get things done to your satisfaction.

Oh I forgot about Mooz's blessing yesterday. Here we go then

I am thankful....

For the partner who snores all night, because he is at home asleep
with me and not with someone else.

For the taxes that I pay, because it means that I am employed.

For the clothes that fit a little too snug, because it means I have
enough to eat.

For my shadow that watches me work, because it means I am out in the
sunshine.

For a floor that needs mopping, and windows that need cleaning,
because it means I have a home.

For all the complaining I hear about the government, because it
means that we have freedom of speech.

For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot,
because it means I am capable of walking and that have been blessed
with transportation.

For the pile of laundry and ironing, because it means I have clothes
to wear.

For weariness and aching muscles at the end of the
day, because it means I have been capable of working hard.

For the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours, because it
means that I am alive.

AND FINALLY...

For too much e-mail, because it means I have friends who are
thinking of me.

THINK POSITIVE!!

And with that, I have gone far past my allotted time on the computer. It's time for action around the house and yard. See ya
Old 11-25-2005, 04:19 PM   #12  

Default Fall pics

Now that it is snowing, LOL! I am having a quiet play on the puter afternoon.

Shad~ Nice post. I DREAM of being where you are at.
Nice to see you up Mel.

These are my fall pics.

Our neighbours lane to their farm,a Blanket flower( my fav after hollyhocks),our bush( you can see our house thru the trees in the bottom right of pic),
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLANKET FLOWER2.jpg (34.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg lane.jpg (43.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg OUR BUSH2.jpg (18.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #13  

nice pics but can you resize them a bit so I can see them properly. They've gone up as very small. Can't really see the house.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #14  

Aw man...first they were too big ,then too small and server keeps bumping me off....LOL! I wil try again.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #15  

More pics. Our house in 1999 when we bought it and this fall 2005.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house8oldfront2000.jpg (41.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg H0use Oct 2005-2.jpg (28.9 KB, 28 views)