YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 05-31-2005, 03:07 PM   #1  

Default One Week Challenge (5/30-6/5)-Come On Join The Fun!!

HEY EVERYONE!!!
Sorry I am late starting this. My internet was out since late Wednesday. See Chit Chat for the whole boring scoop LOL

What a week last week was for me. Thanks for all the support. TOM finally showed up THANK GOD! Sorry to get so personally but I was totally freaking out.

I've had steady gains the last couple weeks and I am back up to 210! EW. So time to kick it into gear.

My Goals:
Stay within my points
Journal, Journal Journal
Exercise 15 minutes 4 days

Yesterday was bad. I can't even begin to say how bad. I did one of thso eI'll do better on Monday, just wait til Monday and I'll start fresh. It was 7 pm and I realized that it was Monday!!!! So I won't be on track with my points for yesterday, but I did go back and write it all down.

Well lots of catching up to do since I had no internet for almost a week so I better run
~misty
MistySeptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:24 PM   #2  
Tish Ann

you can do it!!! I started counting points again yesterday, i ate my full allotement of points and drank a good amount of water. Today i think i got in almost 86 oz. of water (in the form of crystal light and a bowl of soup). My points went a bit over, but i was craving protien and i grilled pork chops and they were so yummy. but i feel good and i know that i can do it this time.
Keep up the great work Misty, we all have difficult times, but we can make it through. Just think... you have all these wonderful ladies rooting you on!!
Tish Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:20 AM   #3  
Princess Gonna Bee

S/C/G: 306/298.2/170

Default I'm New... but I'm In

I'm new to this forum, but I've been very encouraged by reading the existing posts. So I decided to join the challenge... even if it is only for 5 days! I gotta start somewhere! I can do anything for 5 days, right?

I'm looking forward to the circle of support on this forum--and to seeing less of myself in the mirror!!!

Later y'all!
Crystal
diamondgirl175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:10 AM   #4  

Thanks Tish Ann!! Sounds like you are doing well and even if you went a bit over with teh pork chops it was a much better choice than icecream or chips.

Welcome Crystal! There is a great group of people here and alot of support. I look forward to getting to know you. You are right we gotta start somewhere.

I did very well yesterday. I had 40 ounces of water 60 ounces of gatoraide (I counted the points) and two cups of decaf. coffee (my mug holds about 12 ounces so total it was probably 24 ounces). So I think I am well hydrated. I took an hour walk with my neighbor, it was about 2 miles, it takes a bit b/c we have to contend with my dog. I seriously need to walk him in the AM so I can leave him home in the pm. He walks right in front of the strollers and we run him over. So anyway, stayed within my points despite my husband brining home chinese take out at 9 pm when he finally got home from work. My walk allowed me a couple extra points, so I took a few bites and had him pack it all away. I feel good. OH I forgot I did my upper body exercises with weights (Oprah's fav. moves) and 20 crunches (not much but it's a huge start over my privious 0 since probably 1999.

I also put two pictures on my desktop background, me in 1995 (my senior year of highschool) and me in March. Scarey But now when I am on the computer I have to look at them. I know post 90 pounds and two kids I won't look like I did my senior year of highschool, but I can get as close as I can. Funny thing is looking back I was considered to be 15 pounds overweight, but I was all muscle with very little bodyfat. But that number, 15 pounds, really bothered me. I had a huge hang up about it. Even now I want that 130-135. I don't know if that is realistic. Dr. Phil talks about a get real weight. I don't know if 135 is real. Seems like a bit extreme considering I was in peak shape at 18 and considered to be overweight at 145-150. My stomach was flat, I even had a bit of a 6 pack, I could swim forever, I spent hours a week running in the pool and walking the pool deck at work, I walked everywhere b/c I didn't have a car. I think perhaps I will consider a different unltimate goal. Something to think about.

Well I'm gonna jet, have a great day everyone. Welcome again Crystal!
~misty
Old 06-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies,
I'm back off to the gym in a bit for the first time since last week. I don't plan on letting days go by, but it happens.
I have not stuck with my eating plan. I'm hoping to get with the program again.

My goal for this week:
1) continue with the extended cardio (40 minutes)
2) continue with the added crunches (90)

They aren't new goals, but they're a good focus for me.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:06 PM   #6  
Princess Gonna Bee

S/C/G: 306/298.2/170

Default Hi!

Thanks for being so welcoming, Misty! I know the support here will make a difference in my waist-line!

Ok, does ANYONE understand how to read the nutrition facts on microwave popcorn?! I usually buy the snack size, but Smart Balance doesn't make those (or at least Kroger didn't have them)... so not really paying attention, I ate the entire bag... THEN looked at the label!

The serving size says 3.5 cups popped, servings/bag about 3. Does that mean I ate 10.5 cups of popcorn??? And if the fat grams are listed as 9 (amount in serving UNpopped) did I eat 9 grams of fat or 27???

Of course, if you just eat 1 cup the calories from fat are only 10 which (according to my math, which may be more than a little fuzzy) is only 1 gram of fat (bcs 9 cals/fat gram)... OK, but if I multiply those 10 calories by 3.5 doesn't that equal 30.5. Which does NOT equal the 80 calories from fat listed on the label!!!! This is worse than the house that Jack built!!!

No wonder I'm an English teacher!!!!!

I'll be back later to post my dietary true confessions of the day!

Later y'all!
Crystal
diamondgirl175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #7  
Tish Ann

Well the time is 10:20 pm and i didn't start drinking my water type beverage until 6 pm. But i have nearly finished off 64 oz for the day. I did tons of grocery shopping and bill paying so i survived most of the day on Starbucks coffee and apples/walnuts. Other than that it has been a good day.
Welcome Crystal. I hope you find all of the love and support you need to suceed.
Thanks for being there Misty, keep up the great work!
Old 06-01-2005, 11:12 PM   #8  
5yrs later/70 lbs thinner

Howdy y'all. Last week I did pretty well - lost 2# - then overate at a bunch of picnics. Plus, I'm traveling all this week. This week I'm hoping to just keep those 2 pounds off.

Crystal, The unpopped fat count might be what's throwing you off - that includes all the fat in the bag. A fair amount of fat stays on the sides of the bag and doesn't end up in (or on) your tummy. I took a look at the nutrition label on the web (you've got the movie style, right?) . The 9 gram is unpopped, popped it's about 1 gram per cup.
honey_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:19 PM   #9  

hello ladies,

misty: things will fall into place for you soon, you have the desire so keep up the hard work...it will pay off...

welcome crystal...

not that im trying to make excuses, but it is hard for us girls to fit in all that we have to do in a day (kids, work, meals, bills, housework...well you get the picture)
let alone needing to get healthy and look good.
my hat is off to all that try, it will all pay off in the end.
keep up the good work

updating you on my progress...
lost 6 lbs and keeping it off so far....
no soda in 3 weeks (thank you god for crystal light) i do drink my 8 glasses of water every day.
working out is going ok...i commited this week to get to the gym tues - fri...
i went on tues....cardio 30 min (walking) / circut legs/ 30 min cardio (walking)
wed....cardio 2 hours (walking)
im feeling better...just a bit tired right now... i am going to attempt to get up in the am and do cardio...
well girls ... have to get some rest...
talk to you all soon

Last edited by tammy o; 06-01-2005 at 11:21 PM. Reason: want to add
tammy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:02 AM   #10  

GOOD MORNING ALL!!

Yesterday was so so for me. I don't know why I am having such a hard time finding my groove again. I did get in two walks yesterday. The first one was short about 15 minutes, but I had my 20 pound son in the back pack and my daughter and the two year old I watch in the stroller, so I was pushing or carrying about 80 pounds of children. The second walk was in the evening and since my son had fallen alseep my husband agreed to watch him (hard work, huh? ). My neighbor is almost 4 months preg so I put her son and my daughter in the stroller and gave her a break from pushing for the day. It's not bad on the way, it's the way back that gets ya. It's very hilly where we live so first we go up an fairly steep but not too long hill and then up a long, long gradual hill, you don't really realize you are going up hill at first, but by the time you reach my neighbor's house and it gets just a bit steeper you feel it. SO despite my brak down and eating that chinese, my husband brought home the night before, I feel ok I got some exercise in. I'm doing great on my water again, plus I have had gatoraide at 2.5 points fo r20 ounces it's much better than pop!

Marny, I am sure things will fall into place again, we all have downtime.

Crystal, I too get confused by the popcorn thing. I usually get the 94% fat free kind and mine has popped and unpopped on the nutrition label. The actual fat grams (not the %) is in teeny tiny print after the ingredients. It says 1 cup of popped provides 0g of fat, 0 chloesterol, 30 mg sodium, 4g total carbs, less than 1g fiber and less than 1g protien. In the regular nutrition label area it tells me 1 cup popped is 15 calories.

I do points, so if I just ate 1 cup it would be 0 points. To figure the entire bag I added the total calories, fat and guessed the fiber to be 2 grams (maybe a bit low, but not sure what less than 1 gram is exactly) before calculating. I add it up before b/c if you took it as 1 cup is 0 points and there are 10 cups then 10 times 0 is 0, which we know that whole bag of popcorn is NOT free lol. I figure the entire is bag is 3 points. I actually measured the amount of pop corn popped in several bags, b/c each bag is different and found that mine says I should get 11 servings but I really get between 8 and 10. So I go with 10...made the math easier

I hope this helps a little instead of making it more confusing Look and see if you can find the actual fat grams in the tiny print somewhere near the nurtion label. Sometimes they have that tiny stuff on boxed meals like mac and cheese too (the tiny print tells you how many calories and fat grams it is prepared as directed).

Tish Ann-Great job on the water, even though you started later than usual you got it in Hope you could sleep all night...my husband is teasing me b/c I am drinking so much I pee more often than when I was preg. LOL

GREAT JOB ON THE LOSS HONEY!!!! Way to go! Travel safe this week!

Tammy, you are so right about women having to concentrate on so many more things that we often don't take care for ourselves. Oprah yesterday was about sports parents. The "expert" I forget her name pointed out to a mother that teaching her daughter to push through while being so tired she wants to nap was continuing the idea that we can't listen to our bodies. She said it was perpetuating this idea that woman have to take care of bussiness first then ourselves second. It kind of caught my attention and made me think about it and my own daughter. She's only two, so we're not really to that yet but it's something I will be aware of.

Anyway you are doing really well!! GREAT JOB on the LOSS!!!! No soda in three WEEKS?! That's awesome!! AND all that working out! You are an inspiration!!

Well I should get going. My house is a HUGE wreck lol! DH is home sick, so that will mean trying to keep him happy while caring for 4 kids. Talk about all our obligations. But he is truly sick not just slacking off, so I guess I can baby him a little b/c hes not often sick like this. My scheduled changed and now I have the kids I watch 5 days a week from 6:30 am to 3 pm instead of 6:50-4 Mon-Thurs. So there goes my errands and cleaning day! My biggest problem is getting laundry put away, unless I take all four kids up and down the stairs I can't get it done during the early part of the day and when the otehrs leave that's my one on one time with my daughter. Having kids here everyday really through her off since she was used to just us. Tish Ann how do you do it with 5, I am still amazed!

Well have a great day all!!
~misty
Old 06-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #11  

Made it to the gym today and fullfilled my goals...but didn't stay as long as usual.
It's good to hear from everyone.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #12  

Great Job meeting your goals Marny!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #13  
Tish Ann

dealing with five kids....Hmmm..... I don't know how i do it, it just happens. My oldest two help an awful lot. They help me with laundry and dishes and walking of the dog (we have an 8 month old female Rottweiler). They also help watch the baby(who will be 2 in late Aug.) The only thing i don't like doing with my kids is taking them grocery shopping. THAT is a nightmare. my hubby has been wonderful as of late by letting me go by myself and have some peace and quiet.
Misty, i don't see how you can do everything with your kids and babysitting kids. i think that would drive me insane, wait... i already am insane. I am sorry to hear that hubby is not well, i hope he gets better soon. With a wonderful wife caring for him, he is very lucky.
So far today, it is now 10:52 pm, I have drank about 85 oz. of water and i still am drinking. The potty part i don't mind so much, I feel it is just my body's way of flushing out and priming itself to get healthier. I went over my points by about 5, we had tacos and i ended up eating a small third one. My weight has held steady for 4 days now, i can't complain, it isn't yo-yoing like it usually does.
Well, i will check back when i can, everyone have a great day on friday and a great weekend!!
Old 06-03-2005, 06:37 AM   #14  

Good Morning!! Another decent day for me. I haven't checked my points yet. I went to the grocery store (took just one kid ) and stocked up on some healthy stuff. I got Texas Hots to go last night and ate WAY more than I should have. So I know I am over on my points but I should have flex. Took another walk so I've met my goal in that area. I set my sights low, asking myself to only do 15 minutes, I ended up of course doing ALOT more. I have been journaling my food really well, except for last night when things got hectic. But I will fix that this morning.

I had a little victory, when after putting DD to bed I went down stairs with the intention of eating icecream and decided instead to just go to bed. That makes me feel better this morning as I am about to go tally those points.

I've decided to join Jen's Summer challenege,as I had set a 25 pound goal for myself already. But I still like these small weekly challenges, so if everyone is ok with it I will keep doing them.

Well I guess the kids I watch aren't coming today since it is raining. Have a great day everyone!
~misty
Old 06-03-2005, 12:04 PM   #15  

Hi everyone,
I've found a way to add a bit more exercise to my day. I've been swimming the last couple days with my daughter. Doing that in addition to my workout is really great. She's learning to swim and I get a few laps in too.