YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 09-22-2003, 12:24 PM   #31  

Name (Nickname): Terri

M or F:F

Weight/ Goal Weight: 194.6138/135

Height:5'2"

Family:Wonderful husband who has always been a wonderful supporter. 3 wonderful kids (17,12 & 10) and Tanner, our loyal mixed breed.

Personal Info you would like to share: I hit lifetime with WW 18 yrs. ago and have been back 3 times (after every birth) and I want to learn how to keep it off.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey:Weekends and carbs. Consistant exercise. I want to do at least 5 /week.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book:How to keep this weight off once and for all. See why I do this.

Terri
points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:58 PM   #32  

Default Re: Dr Phil's Book Club Introductions

Name (Nickname): Deb

M or F: F

Weight/ Goal Weight: 175 / 145-150

Height: 5'4"

Family: Married 26 years (yeah for us!!!) to a great guy who tries to be sweet but sometimes misses the point. 2 grown sons, 1 married, 1 grandson, 1 granddaughter. 2 dogs - Bailey the laid back Beagle and Milo the psycho Jack Russel Terrier.

Personal Info you would like to share: I'll be playing catch up with the rest of you.... I haven't been able to find the book!!! Otherwise, I'm hoping to find support here.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: Consistency and just plain sticking to it. I was on WW for over a year then last spring I caught the "I can do it on my own" bug and naturally, it's creeping back.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: No more "creeping back". I'm hoping to gain an understanding of myself. I'm also hoping that through following the steps I'll not only conquer my weight issues but a couple of other things I'd like to change about myself as well.

Please add anything else on here that you think would help us help you reach your goal..... Just knowing that there's support out there makes a big difference and I've found support on the 3FC forums in the past. Here's to us everyone!!
Debuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:29 PM   #33  
hangin' in there...

Name: Jen

M or F: female

weight/goal weight: 135-140lbs

height: 5'4"

family: husband, daughter (8yo), son (6yo), son (2yo), 2 dogs, and 2 cats!

personal info you would like to share: I am a mostly stay-at-home mom, but work part-time nights as a student nurse, and also attend nursing school, going for my RN

biggest weakness in the weight-loss journey: If I had to choose a food, it would be ice cream! But truly, I just need to keep from getting lazy. I can have plenty of excuses (i.e. not enough time), but the truth is, I stop losing weight when I choose not to do the work it takes to keep taking it off.

what do you have to gain from this book?: Insight into a new lifestyle. I don't want this to be a temporary thing. I want to lose the weight and KEEP IT OFF!!!! I also want to be able to set a good example for my kids and teach them healthy eating habits while they are young, so they may never know what it is to battle weight. And, I want to have the energy and stamina to be active the way I love, by being able to keep up with my kids and enjoy activities such as hiking and biking.

please add anything else on here that you think would help us help you reach your goal: I need help staying "real"...... I do not like to admit when I fail, because I worry how others think about me, and I hate to think someone may judge me, like I've done something "wrong". I know, in my head, that this forum will not be like that. But in my heart, I still feel "oh, I can't report that I lost control and ate a Whopper, large fries and a regular Coke, because they'll all think I'm horrible!!!!" Yes, I have self-esteem issues.
gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:26 PM   #34  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Name (Nickname): Jen or Jenny

Weight/ Goal Weight: 243/150

Height: 5'5"

Family: married to Joe for 32 years , daughter, 29, mother of my grandsons, ages 7 and 3 , son, 24

Personal Info you would like to share: I'm an at-home, semi-retired, looking-for-meaningful-work, civic volunteer, part-time student. Thanks to my dear Joe for his unfailing, nonjudgemental love, and for being my rock.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: My tendency to give up whenever the going gets tough, or if I experience a gain, coupled with my total lack of willpower when it comes to certain (trigger) foods.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: The ability to control my wants and recognize my needs.

Last edited by Jenny523; 09-23-2003 at 08:21 AM.
Jenny523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:31 PM   #35  
You're a smoothie.

Default :)

Name (Nickname): Emily

M or F: Female

Weight/ Goal Weight: Starting - 210.5/Current - 195/Goal -150

Height: 5'6"

Family: Live with boyfriend outside of DC

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: Me. I am a food lover. I am hoping to find out if there is something behind my eating or whether I just love food!

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: Peace of mind.

Please add anything else on here that you think would help us help you reach your goal..... I am doing Weight Watchers...anyone else???
rasta2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:18 PM   #36  

Name (Nickname): Tricia

Weight/ Goal Weight: 172/148

Height: 5'6"

Family: Me and 2 dogs

Personal Info you would like to share: .....I'm single, still looking for the right guy. I'm a committed Christian (to use a phrase from the 70's, a "Jesus person"). I've been up and down in weight my whole life, although in high school, the most I weighed was about 125-135. It seems like about every decade I gain about 10 lbs. In January, I told myself, "quit 'trying' to lose weight, really do it!" I went to Weight Watchers, lost about 10 lbs., plateaued both on the scales and with my attitude. So about 6 weeks ago, I started the South Beach Diet (SBD), and I know it's pretty healthy, but sometimes I "cheat." The only problem with SBD is, <whisper> constipation. HELP!

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey:I love food, love to eat, love to eat sugar, get a little buzz from eating sugar. I have a few addictive foods like chips and salsa. I can get started on a diet for a few weeks and be really good, and then I start to cheat "just a little" until I've gained back all I've lost. With encouragement from the ladies on the SBD forum, I've started exercising. While I have exercised in the past, it is easy for me to be a couch potato.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book:"The Answer" to eating like a thin person.

I get paid this week, so I haven't picked up the book yet, but will this weekend.

Last edited by Lavender Fields; 09-24-2003 at 05:04 PM.
Lavender Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 05:54 PM   #37  

Name (Nickname): Grasshopper/GH/ Deb

M or F: f

Weight/ Goal Weight: 321/180-160

Height: 6'2

Family: Not much to say here....only fat child of 5.

Personal Info you would like to share: I seriously injured my back 3 years ago and haven't been the same since. Think the lease was up on my body when I hit 30. Since then I've had multiple problems that are related to my weight. I'm scared. Used to be I wanted to lose weight so I would look good...now I want to lose it so I can walk.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: Exercise and taking care of myself. Seem to put off taking care of myself...cooking a proper meal, taking the time for breakfast, etc. I hate exercise...especially now but I know that I need to do it.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: It's not so much what I hope to gain but what I hope to lose. What I need to do is gain control and perspective of why I abuse my body the way I do. Instead of thinking about it I need to DO IT. I've spent 25 years thinking about it.
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 07:09 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 293/293/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Dr. Phil's Book Club Introductions

Hi everyone! Hope all of you are doing great.
NICKNAME: Happycat

Female

WEIGHT/GOAL: 5'6'' 320 (I lost my first 5 lbs this week) My long term goal is to lose at least 175 lbs which would put me at 150 then I will go from there. I plan on doing small term goals as I go along because it is such an overwhelming amount to look at all at once.
So my first small term goal is: 20 lbs by Nov.1.

FAMILY: My husband and I have been married for 21 years. We were childhood sweethearts. We have 1 beautiful 16 (soon to be) 17 year old daughter. They support my efforts but sometimes go about it the wrong way.

PERSONAL INFORMATION: I am a certified school teacher who also homeschools my daughter. I enjoy reading, crafts, scrapbooking and traveling. I have been struggling with weight issues since the age of 18.

BIGGEST WEAKNESS IN THE WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY: Overeating and impulse eating. I am an emotional eater.

WHAT DO I WISH TO GAIN FROM THIS BOOK: I wish to come to terms with the reasons behind my weight gain and emotional eating. I think the book along with Dr. Phil's show will help me to break through all of the issues concerning my weight and eating. As he said today on his show" There comes a point where you just can't stand it another day. The very thought of being like this one more day sickens you. That's when you know you are ready to take back your life and do this once and for all". I am there, at that point!
Happycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 05:35 AM   #39  

Name (Nickname): Jo

Weight/ Goal Weight: 202/135

Height: 5' 5"

Family: Married for 9 1/2 years to my best friend and biggest fan. Am a SAHM to my amazing 2 1/2 year old DS.

Personal Info you would like to share: I am an ACOA and was a "chubby" (God, I hate that word!) kid, but was never obese. I had periods of "chub" in my teens and twenties during stressful or difficult times. When I was happy and things were going well, the weight would melt off. Stress, sadness, loneliness...and up climbed the scale. My DH and I both gained about 10 pounds after we got married, but mine continued to creep up and up as my job turned stressful and my grandmother died. When I became pregnant in 2000 I weighed 165. I joined WW (for the umpteenth time!) after my son was born, and lost 30 pounds on their nursing mom's program. Then we had a horrible and stressful kitchen remodel last summer that I allowed to completely derail all of my efforts. I turned to food and haven't looked back. I gained all of the lost weight back and then some. I've never weighed as much as I do now, and I can't stand myself. I have reached the "Zero Hour" Dr. Phil talks about.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: Dealing with my negative emotions (stress, sadness, anger, fear, etc.) instead of medicating them with food.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: I need to learn to release the past hurts, stop playing the negative tapes, and deal with why I turn to food when I'm in emotional turmoil.

Please add anything else on here that you think would help us help you reach your goal..... I need and want the support and accountability from other people who are in the same boat as I am! I scored very high on Dr. Phil's Internal WLOC, and there are a couple of things he warns about this type that struck me:

1. "...you might find it difficult to seek counsel from other people or consult external sources of information for help."
2. "You may tend to internalize your failures and dwell on them."

So, I put down the book and came to 3FC! I'm a long-time lurker, but decided tonight to jump in with both feet! Look out below!

I'm excited about the journey we are all taking, and I'm anxious to get to know you all.

Jo
Jo_Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:02 AM   #40  

Hi and welcome to all the new and newer chicks here. I hope we can all get to know each other too. 3FC's is a very supportive environment. I've met some wonderful people here that have definitely helped me with losing weight, with something you just can't buy, friendship and support. I'm not at goal, still have 50 or 70 lbs to lose, depending on how I look when it's all done.
Great to have you guys here and good for you, for choosing to take back your life, not just riding along passively and seeing where it will take you!
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:32 PM   #41  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

NAME: nanj

WEIGHT/GOAL WEIGHT: 309LBS. GOAL WEIGHT: I would just like to see 200# again!

HT: 5'9"

Personal Info: Happily married for 34 years, four kids, three dogs, one cat and four grandsons. I have four sisters and two brothers. One sister has had gastric-by-pass surgery, and the rest of us girls and one brother are very obese(including parents). I have may physical problems related to obesity and am sure missing out on life. I personally feel like a trainwreck, because of my weight.

Biggest Weakness in Weight Loss Journal: Feel defeated before I ever get started. Start a new diet every Monday! LOL

What do I hope to gain from this book: A LIFE!!!!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:38 PM   #42  

Name: Pjmom (Judy)

Male/female: F

Height: 5' 4"

Weight: SW 236 CW 226 Goal 136-140 whatever feels heathy

Family: Married 17 years, Have son (13) daughter (15) One stupid cocker spanial ( baby)

Personal Info: I am tiered of being tiered all the time. Found out I have sleep apnea. I have no energy. Hoping weight loss will solve problem.I want to look and feel GREAT!!!! Take care of what God gave me. With His help I can do this.

Biggest weakness: I am a food addict. I crave carbs and sugar. Once I start eating things with sugar or carbs I can't stop. What I miss the most is the junk food like hoogies,Italian water ice, Cheesesteaks etc. from Phila. I grew up near there and miss my comfort food ( junk food capital of the world )

What do you hope to gain in this book? Tools to curb my addiction. I need to treat the whole body. Physical, emotional, spiritual, mental etc.

I need your support love and prayers to reach my goal
eisenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:20 AM   #43  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

I think what you hope to gain from this book is great! You said what I wish I knew how!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny523
Name (Nickname): Jen or Jenny

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: The ability to control my wants and recognize my needs.
Mitchypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:03 AM   #44  

Default Book Club Introduction

Name (Nickname): hagengirl/Mary

Weight/ Goal Weight: 251/192/150

Height: 5'2"

Family: I've been married to a great guy for the last 25 years, we have 2 sons, 24 and 10 and 1 daughter, 19. I have 4 grandkids, 2 boys, 9 and 6, and 2 girls, 6 and 10 days. I have two great sisters that share in the weight loss journey. My family is extremely supportive and they love me no matter what!

Personal Info you would like to share: I've struggled with my weight my entire adult life. I love to cook, garden, walk and country music.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: I always find excuses not to exercise. When I slip up, I have a hard time getting back on track and tend to make it a "binge" week instead of a "binge" meal.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: To help me figure out why I do what I do when it comes to food. I like Dr. Phil's no nonsense attitude and it says it like it is.
hagengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:12 PM   #45  

Name (Nickname): hagengirl/Mary

Weight/ Goal Weight: 251/192/150

Height: 5'2"

Family: I've been married to a great guy for the last 25 years, we have 2 sons, 24 and 10 and 1 daughter, 19. I have 4 grandkids, 2 boys, 9 and 6, and 2 girls, 6 and 10 days. I have two great sisters that share in the weight loss journey. My family is extremely supportive and they love me no matter what!

Personal Info you would like to share: I've struggled with my weight my entire adult life. I love to cook, garden, walk and country music.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: I always find excuses not to exercise. When I slip up, I have a hard time getting back on track and tend to make it a "binge" week instead of a "binge" meal.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: To help me figure out why I do what I do when it comes to food. I like Dr. Phil's no nonsense attitude and it says it like it is.