YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 09-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Monday Dr Oz on Oprah

I gotta tell ya ... I'm still thinking about that demo of the folks that ate ... was it gorillas? food. I've always been a big proponent of lean proteins (including soy) but those stats were very interesting.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

That really interested me as well as the calcium study they did.
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I gotta tell ya ... I'm still thinking about that demo of the folks that ate ... was it gorillas? food. I've always been a big proponent of lean proteins (including soy) but those stats were very interesting.
I always ask people who say they have tried EVERYTHING to lower their cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar if they have given a raw foods vegan diet a try for at least 6 weeks, when they blame genetics and genetics alone.

I guess I can point to this experiment of only 12 days, done by a well-respected and reputable physician now!!!

I love it!

(I have provided others with many other references from reputable sources, but having a current and well-liked, popular physician showing that a raw foods vegan diet can have such dramatic results in so short a time is such great news!).
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #4  

Was it 12 days? I forget ... and did their cholesterol come down 25 points or 25 percent?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

It was 12 days and after 12 days, their cholesterol dropped by an average of 25 percent, their blood pressure dropped by 10 percent, and they lost about 10 pounds each (including two-and-a-quarter inches of their waists).

Dr. Oz said:

"The results were … remarkable," Dr. Oz says.

"When you eat this kind of food, you're sending a very clear message to your brain," Dr. Oz says.

"You're taking calories and nutrients. What we normally do in America is we give calories to people without nutrition. The natural colors are gone, and so your brain sits back there and says, 'Am I still hungry or not?' ".

Old 09-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #6  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I am not familiar with the gorilla (?) diet.
Could someone enlighten (no pun intended) us?
Thanks,
jo
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

All raw fruits, vegetables and some nuts (as well as 1 salted olive) and in this case, 11 pounds of it daily. The diet was based on what our "ancestors" ate as well as what gorillas directly eat.

It's all vegan and all raw.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 159/TICKER/110

Height: 5'1

this is interesting, sound like it can be very healthy, if you can stick with it. I'm not sure how long I could go eating only raw foods. Hey someone should start a raw food challenge, maybe it could be short, like a few days. I'd join in and try it.
ShyShy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #9  
breakfast rebel

Interesting. So I did a search on what gorillas eat. I thought the following info raises a couple questions about the raw plants only concept.

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...s/gorilla.html

But surely a diet of raw plants for a few days would be good. I'd join in on the challenge.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #10  
Finding My Bliss

Ah, good ol' Weston Price.

Well, we eat insects too, I suppose, and if we are lucky, breast milk when we are young, just as the gorillas do.

That being said, the studies that I have seen, all yield great results (just as the experiment Dr. Oz did) and were all raw vegan diets, regardless of what gorillas may or may not eat.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #11  
breakfast rebel

Oops. SoulBliss, you beat me to my attempt to delete my post, or to substitute the link for another with different gorilla diet info. After I posted the link i went back to it and looked at its home page. Hmm. Sounds like I picked a pretty darn biased link. I didn't mean to do that; I was just trying to get info about gorilla diets without bias!
Oh well. I guess whatever info is out there is out there. Food for thought.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
I guess whatever info is out there is out there. Food for thought.
Exactly, food for thought! Also, I think there is often no substitute for personal experience, regardless of what any "authority" on any matter says. For example, I personally have seen people drop high cholesterol and blood sugar by following a raw vegan diet, years before any study I had even heard of substantiated this.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 159/TICKER/110

Height: 5'1

I was doing some research and it seems as though there are several variations of the raw food diet and vegan diets. I find it very interesting, Id like to find one that I think I could do for maybe a week and try it out. If anyone has any ideas for me, please let me know.
ShyShy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #14  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 141 / 136 / 120

Height: 5"3

hey girls!! I'm in class when Oprah is on but I love Dr. Oz. I didn't catch this episode but the results seem really wonderful!!
I keep hearing about the raw vegan/veggie plan and how wonderful it is.... but sometimes it can also get expensive, especially for students like me who are low on cash AND time to go to the market!
TurboLeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:57 PM   #15  

But surely we could improve our general health by eating more like this. I agree that it would be hard to stick to for long (for me) but I certainly can eat more naturally, more raw etc.