YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 03-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #16  

the difference between eating steel cut oats and eating regular oatmeal is like the difference between eating an orange or drinking orange juice..they are both good foryou but one is better. I like the steel cut oats but they are very hard to find around here.....
p.a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #17  

I found some steel cut oats now what do I do with them?
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #18  
Lovin' Zumba!

Mary,
See my prior thread about how I cook them:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...53&postcount=2
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #19  

thanks i made some and they were great. For my protein I just added a little peanut butter and they tasted great.
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #20  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfL_Cat View Post
Once the oats are cooked, I add about 1T. of cinnamon, 1oz. chopped walnuts and a capful of vanilla extract.
Delicious! I use chopped walnuts or sliced almonds, cinnamon, ground flax, sometimes protein powder and then add in fruit before serving too
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #21  
a work in progress...

Different things I've added to my (daily) bowl of oatmeal:
*canned pumpkin, 1/4 cup, pumpkin pie spice, chopped pecans
*chopped apple, chopped walnuts, cinnamon
*craisins, any kind of chopped nuts
*peanut butter, raisins
*shredded coconut, small jar of baby food carrots, cinnamon, nuts (tastes like carrot cake!)
*maple syrup, walnuts
*fat free hazelnut non dairy coffee creamer, mashed banana, walnuts

As you can see, I LOVE oatmeal! I started eating it daily for cholesterol lowering reasons, and discovered how much I love it and love creating different variations, usually just based upon what I have at the moment. I always fix it in the microwave, 1/2 c oats with 1 cup water, little bit o' salt and cook on hi 2 1/2 minutes. At work I just nuke the water, add it to the oats and let it sit til somewhat absorbed. It's all good!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #22  

Height: 5'8

Default Recipe for "Overnight Oatmeal"

I found this in the RealAge Recipe Box:

Overnight Oatmeal

Here is an easy way to serve a crowd a hearty breakfast before facing the elements for a day of winter sports. You can assemble it in the slow cooker in the evening and wake up to a bowl of hot, nourishing oatmeal. The slow cooker eliminates the need for constant stirring and ensures an exceptionally creamy consistency. It is important to use steel-cut oats; old-fashioned oats become too soft during slow-cooking.

Ingredients

8 cups water
2 cups steel-cut oats, (see Ingredient note)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Directions

Combine water, oats, dried cranberries, dried apricots and salt in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Turn heat to low. Put the lid on and cook until the oats are tender and the porridge is creamy, 7 to 8 hours.

Stove top Variation (Halve the above recipe to accommodate the size of most double boilers): Combine 4 cups water, 1 cup steel-cut oats, 3 tablespoons dried cranberries, 3 tablespoons dried apricots and 1/8 teaspoon salt in the top of a double boiler. Cover and cook over boiling water for about 1 1/2 hours, checking the water level in the bottom of the double boiler from time to time.

Nutrition Information

Per serving
Calories: 193
Carbohydrates: 34g
Fat: 3g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
Protein: 6g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Dietary Fiber: 9g
Potassium: 195mg
Sodium: 77mg
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (36% daily value)

Ingredient note: Steel-cut oats, sometimes labeled "Irish oatmeal," look like small pebbles. They are toasted oat groats--the oat kernel that has been removed from the husk that have been cut in 2 or 3 pieces. Do not substitute regular rolled oats, which have a shorter cooking time, in the slow-cooker oatmeal recipe.

Last edited by Rizeninme; 01-08-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 214/198/150

Height: 5'6"

another way to cook them that i've had good luck with is to preheat your oven to 300 degrees, mix 1 cup oats with 4 cups water (or a similar ratio) and add 1 tsp salt, and cook in a large (covered) pot for one hour. you don't need to stir or anything. then divide it into 4 containers and store it in the fridge and have breakfast for the next four days!
chrgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #24  
Lovin' Zumba!

Interesting cooking method - I'll have to try that!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #25  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfL_Cat View Post
As far as brands go, I think it's pretty much a generic thing, so if you can find them in a bulk store, that will be the cheapest route. I've found them for as low as $.77 a pound in bulk, or as high as $8.00 for 2# in the metal McCann's can!
I found them bulk for $.59 a pound!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrgrl View Post
another way to cook them that i've had good luck with is to preheat your oven to 300 degrees, mix 1 cup oats with 4 cups water (or a similar ratio) and add 1 tsp salt, and cook in a large (covered) pot for one hour. you don't need to stir or anything. then divide it into 4 containers and store it in the fridge and have breakfast for the next four days!
I might have to try them in the oven. I didn't like them at all in the crock pot. They got way to mushy for me. Usually I boil 1 cup of water then add 1/3 cup of oats and let them sit overnight on the stove. When I am ready to eat them I just warm them up. I love adding a mashed banana, chopped pecans and a few chocolate chips. YUMMY!
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 211/205/160

Height: 5'6"

I love steel cut oats, also called Scottish Oatmeal! I use Bob's Red Mill brand found in the health foods cereal section of my grocery store.

I just follow the package directions..3 cups water..1/4 t salt, which I don't add..bring to a boil..add 1c oats..reduce heat and cook for 10-20 minutes. I cook it for 15-20 minutes and it's never watery, always thick and sometimes too thick. While it's cooking..I add cinnamon & raisins..then when I dish it up, I put some sugar free maple syrup on top and a little skim milk.

Now that one of you mentioned using a little real maple sugar, I'll start doing that as the sugar free has aspertame in it..bad! Thanks for the tip!

Cindy..Thanks for the tip on putting it into individual serving dishes for the fridge..good idea!

~ Donna
itsabouttime2 is offline   Reply With Quote