Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 09:43 PM   #16  
cookies are for browsers

{{{{Hey all,}}}}

Karen, my prayers to your sister. I heard a prayer from the Hillel group at the university and I can't remember all of
it but they said about the victims of last Tuesday: "May their memories be a blessing." That is such a moving way of saying it in so many ways, yet so simply. When I feel like I can't eat, I get out my juicer and start juicing. That way you get tons of vitamins and minerals into your body, getting the nutrients you need without the bloating / processing feeling you don't. Yes, it's part of the fasting thing, but I have found that if I am upset at night I will just have tomato and carrot juice and maybe some strawberry lemonade. It is thick, not thin, and very satisfying and good for you. Just be sure to go organic if you can, especially on the apples - you are basically eating massive volumes of fruits and vegetables.

Carla - I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!! Look at you, losing 5 pounds, THE HARDEST 5 pounds, I might add.

Judy, please take good care of yourself!

Pat, it must have been difficult to grow up with all of those cookies! Just remember: cookies are for browsers. Make it your mantra!

Jennifa
Old 09-20-2001, 09:58 AM   #17  

Sharon - sorry to hear that you had a tough time but it's great to hear that you are on for the challenge today. What a good idea to try to track what's going on and when the mood swings are. I'm on for another 24 hour challenge today with you.

Carla - Way to go Carla - 2 pounds gone forever! Listen, under these circumstances, eating the max is a big victory! I KNOW you will not see those pounds back! I had to LOL when I read what you wrote about the knitting. I have been knitting pretty consistently - I've just been snacking when I pout the needles down! Yup, I guzzled the water. No, my mom didn't make latkes - that's usually just Hanukah. She did make a potato kugel - which is like one big baked latka (although you have to put a little oil on the bottom so it doesn't stick). It was yummy!

Karen - I am so, so sorry about the people your sister and brother lost. Good idea to talk to the doctor about the depression. I've come to the realization that I am mildly depressed - I'm tired even when I get enough sleep, and I often feel that I don't care about anything. I think there are a lot of us going through that but if it's an ongoing problem you are so smart to see the doc. As for eating too little that is a sure way to bring your weight loss to a halt. May I make a suggestion? Is there something (like chocolate) that you normally have a hard time staying away from? Maybe you can tempt yourself with something like that for a couple of days until your appetite returns. That way you can get your minimum points in. I also have arthritis and you are right in your discovery that you have to work through the pain. I always feel less stiff and achy after I've moved some.

Jennifa - yes, I have heard that before and I hope all the families can come to feel that in time. It reminds me of the service on Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement - next Thursday) during the memorial service. It asks the question - if the world could change so that no one died, but no new life came into the world, would you want that? I thought of that when they showed all the babies born in the days right after the 11th (a lot of women went into early labor).

I had an OK day yesterday. I ate just a couple of points over max (I was OK until about 11 pm) but I didn't go nuts like two night ago and I drank a ton of water. I am up for another 24 hour challenge. I think that's how I have to take it for now, 24 hours at a time. I did a little upper body strength work on my left side (and my PT exercises on the right). The ankle seems less swollen but I am going to try to stay off it again today and hope that I can do some kind of aerobics tomorrow. I missed how good it makes me feel especially with what I think is this mild depression. I found out today that they are planning to let us back into our building next week - Monday to be exact but since I work from home usually on Mondays, I'll go in on Tuesday. Tony is less than pleased. I'm not sure how I feel - in a way I'm glad and in another way I dread going downtown and seeing what it looks like. I think worrying about it will likely affect me - I have to try to write in my journal tonight (which I rarely do) instead of snacking once I put the knitting needles down.

Take care,
Judy
Old 09-20-2001, 12:03 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone.

Karen - {{{Hugs}}} to you and your family. I know how wounded this has made those of us who have not lost anyone feel. I can only imagine the impact on those who are missing friends and family. It's hard to find a positive way to deal with those feelings, especially if you're susceptible to depression in the first place. I hope you do mention this to your doctor. There's no shame in depression and no reason for you to suffer when there's help to be had. I'll be thinking of you. Please let us know how you're doing. And Jennifa and Judy have given you great suggestions for getting some food in.

Jennifa - Why thank you! I don't know if it's the first 5 pounds (although I have a hard time thinking of them as the first - I've seen these pounds come and go so many times ) or the fact that I've managed to go four weeks without a gain, but I'm certainly feeling a lot stronger in this journey.

Judy - Well, we're just going to have to tape those knitting needles to your hands so you can't put them down. Glad to hear you had a better evening. Two points over isn't bad. You're on for another challenge. The potato kugel sounds yummy. I think I would enjoy traditional Jewish food very much. My mom, who grew up in NJ, had many Jewish friends and more than 50 years later still has fond memories of holiday meals she shared with them. As for going back downtown, yes I'm sure it will effect you. Even after the rubble is cleared and downtown gets back to what will become the new normal, I'm sure that the absence of the WTC will be a slap in the face for New Yorker'sfor a long time to come. But perhaps confronting the physical reality will be an important step to complete healing. I will be thinking of you on Tuesday.

I had an ok day yesterday. Managed to save one point, but it was a struggle. I had a constant urge to stuff food in my face. Wasn't hungry a bit, but still wanted to eat. I know that I'm still feeling anxious and edgy and am using food to comfort myself, although for the life of me I can't figure out what difference a ham sandwich makes to my psyche. But at least knowing that I'm reacting this way, I can structure my day to leave some points available. Thank goodness for Natural Ovens bread and Healthy Choice Ham. I can have that sandwich and only spend 2 points.

Have a great day everyone. In the sadness and uncertainty of the day, may we all take comfort in our loved ones and find a way to see the joy and happiness that are still present.

Carla
Old 09-20-2001, 05:51 PM   #19  

Default THANK YOU!

You're all great, thanks so much for the kind words and support. I feel better already. I have read through your suggestions and they're all part of my plan now. I've got the juicer out, even bought some HC chocolate ice cream and should be able to get enough food and nutrients.

Didn't get much support from the dr about depression, she said everyone is having a difficult time these days. I decided to start on St. John's Wort and see if I feel better. If not, I'll go back to the dr. and be more assertive.

Judy, it's going to be tough going back to work next week, I don't know how my sister is doing it.

Jennifa, I passed your words on to my brother who has given two eulogies already for his employees, one of whom was among the heroes on flight 93.

Carla, thanks for the hug, I really needed it.

Hugs all around!
Old 09-20-2001, 06:56 PM   #20  
cookies are for browsers

Karen, hang in there. My condolences also to your brother. Those words were from a Hillel group at a vigil, but they really stuck with me and continue to help me cope with this.

I am trying to come to terms with it all. There are very difficult times ahead and I can't speak for the rest of you but I know I need to find a balance between my peace-loving self and the rage I feel at what has been done. Today hasn't been a good dieting day but I am going to get on that pink bike today, maybe that will help sort it out. Sometimes I think that bike is magic or something; it is amazing for a bad mood. I think I have eaten about 50 points so far today, and the day ain't over yet.

Everybody, I hope that you are doing ok.

Jennifa
216/too many other things to worry about/170
Old 09-20-2001, 11:57 PM   #21  

Jenn - Congratulations on the 2 lbs gone forever.

Judy - I'm sure it will be hard to go back into work, but maybe being able to get in and talk to co-workers will help. Hope your ankle is better soon. I know how much the exercise helps you.

Sharon - Good idea to try tracking the mood swings. Did you get out for your walks?

Carla - Okay, I'm up for the exercise challenge next week. Its not like I have to get up all that early...not nearly as early as you and Judy. I am sure the extra exercise would get me losing again. I like the walks, but I think I need the extra push from jogging. Got caught in a shower during my walk tonight and tried jogging the rest of the way home. Boy am I out of shape!! Congratulations on the loss. Way to go banking a point.

Karen - Sorry to hear about the people your sister and brother lost. Sounds like you have a plan and that is the first step. I was looking at Self last night and there was an article about trying to keep your calorie level at 1500 to lose weight. Sorry the doctor wasn't much help. Maybe you can try keeping track of your feelings in a journal. Hope you feel better soon.

Jennifa - I'll have to remember that...cookies are for browsers, cookies are for browsers. Actually I didn't have trouble with the cookies when I was a kid. I knew they were always there if I wanted them, but I really didn't eat many. It was the same way with pies. My mom made several pies every Saturday (there were 9 of us in the house), but most of the time I didn't eat any. It wasn't until I left home that I had trouble resisting. Sorry you have been having a rough day. Were you able to get out on your bike?

Having a so-so day. I had a really bad headache yesterday. Today was a little better. I think it is the weather since Laura and my nephew have both had bad headaches too. I did get out for my walks both days, but have been doing too much snacking...not junk, but just too much food. Off to bed early tonight. Hopefully sleep will help the headache.

Talk to you later.
Pat
Old 09-21-2001, 09:04 AM   #22  

Carla - Good for you for overcoming the need to eat for comfort. That is a very important victory - I hope you patted yourself on the back a couple to times! LOL about taping the knitting needles to my hands. I should have done that last night! I think it will take a long time to heal, but yes, I think confronting the physical reality will be an important step towards that. .

Karen - Glad to hear you've stocked up on a few things that will help you get enough food and nutrients. I sorry your doctor was helpful - that makes me a little angry. Yes, everyone is a hard time these days but that's no reason to dismiss it when a patient comes in to deal with it with her. Here's a great big {{{{{{{HUG}}}}}} back!

Jennifa - I'm right there with you. I find myself amazed at how enraged I am and how much I want us to strike back. I ate about 20 points late last night - I need to find a better way to deal with it all.

Pat - sorry to hear that you've had a couple of rough days. Out of shape? I don't even want to think about how far I could run these days. Maybe 20 steps?? Several pies??? Did you give yourself a pat on the back for not eating any most of the time? Under the circumstances, I think you should. Yes, I think being with my co-workers will help a lot.

Ugh. That describes my late night snacking. It happened when I put the knitting away (yes, I SHOULD tape the needles to my hands) and even though I knew it was emotional eating, I didn't care and ate yesterday. I hope I can pick up my journal tonight instead. I'm definitely going to go to my meeting last week - I just haven't decided if I'm going to weigh in or not.

Have a good one - hug the ones you love!
Judy
Old 09-21-2001, 06:59 PM   #23  
cookies are for browsers

I love my bike!

It worked. Seeing all the people out there, seeing the razor scooters on the lawns, the kids playing in the street, people jogging, drivers waving, looking at all the American flags and candles people are lighting, all help so much. Get out there and take a walk or ride if you can. It will do wonders to get that big American sky over your head and see our country unite.

I thought it was interesting; the View had a segment on comfort foods today. Turns out a lot of people are turning to their comfort foods!! Big surprise, eh? No wonder I want a big pint of Guinness at my DESK! Well, I am trying to keep my big eating confined to the middle of the day when my bod can best process it. Today I had pizza. Not so bad. I will probably just have a banana for dinner as I'm still pretty full.

Maybe if we try to write down the thoughts that are comforting we won't have to eat the comfort foods?

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Must dash,

Jennifa
Old 09-21-2001, 07:48 PM   #24  

Jennifa, I'm so glad you got out on the PINK bike and that it lifted your spirits. Just seeing people going about their daily lives is comforting. Keep posting all that good stuff.

Judy, want to have a journal challenge? I'll take Pat's advice and start working on it if you will!

Pat - I feel for you, the goldenrod is blooming here and I've had a headache for two days. The only relief I get is when I remember to do a little accupressure. Try it. Just feel over your head for sore spots and apply pressure for at least 7 seconds.

Everyone - Here's a trick I learned that helps when I feel like snacking - just contract your abdominal muscles a few times. See if it doesn't turn off that hungry feeling.

Today has been really good! I think the St. John's Wort has made a huge difference in the depression. I've actually found myself laughing for a change, and it feels good. Also have done much better on my eating--three days in a row eating enough to keep in my point range. Here's some more good news--when I was at the dr yesterday I weighed and have lost 27 pounds in three months and my blood pressure and pulse have gone down! BP is now in normal range! Pulse still a bit high, but continuing to lose weight and exercise should work.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 09-23-2001, 11:36 PM   #25  

Hi everyone
i am new here and just started the weight watchers at home and looking for alot of support...I have about 150 lbs to lost
so i can't wait to read all the post and start making friends and losing alot of weight...
yvonne

348.5lbs
Closed Thread