Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #16  

what are examples of foods on the core list?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Goody - After work and before dinner is a tough time for a lot of people. Can you keep some healthy snacks in your car so your less tempted to get the fast food? I also understand how hard it is to make yourself exercise. I'm in the same boat. CORE foods are basically whole, unprocessed foods: brown rice, whole wheat pasta, veggies, fruits, skim milk, plus fat-free dairy.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:07 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 145/137.5/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone. I just finished my first week of weight watchers online. I weighed in on Thursday and am down 2.5 lbs, and even though I was hungry a few times, I think I can stick with it and hope to get down to my fighting weight of 120 over the next few months.

You all are such inspirations, I really like this board and hope to become a part of the community.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #19  

welcome to both smash and goody

Goody - One thing that helped me stop getting fast food was banning myself from using a drive-thru window. I found I was MUCH less likely to walk in and order the food and go back out to my car. I also took a look at money a few years ago. I took a week's worth of fast food and restaurant receipts and I couldn't believe it. If I had all the money back that I spent in fast food and eating out... wow I'd have a nice car by now

Another thing that helps is making sure you plan some snacks in your day. A lot of people think you can only eat 2-3 times a day. A lot of studies have shown that if you wait until you feel REALLY hungry you will definitely overeat. If you plan to have 5-6 smaller meals is better than 2-3 enormous ones. It's also better for your metabolism. you'd also be surprised how full you will feel by drinking a lot of water throughout the day as well.

I'm trying to listen to my body more than I was in the past. When I feel hungry, I ask myself "Am I really hungry, or is an emotion taking over thats making me want food?" Last night was a PRIME example. It was 10:30.. I'd already had enough to eat that day, but it was a few hours since I last ate. I felt the urge for a bowl of cereal or something. I thought to myself "you dont really need the food, you just like eating while watching TV..you'll feel WAY better about yourself if you say no and just go to bed without that last snack!" And I did it

One last thing.. I got a Mcdonalds fruit and walnut salad the other day and hadnt eaten it. On their site, its 6pts with the walnuts, 3 without. But I noticed this one was prepackaged and portions looked smaller than in the past. And I noticed on the nutrition info it was less calories so I figured up the points and it WAS smaller. With the walnuts it was only 4 points. It made a yummy breakfast today
Old 09-15-2006, 01:55 PM   #20  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

OK today was weigh in and im down another 3.3 lbs I dont give a flying crap if it's water or weight it's gone and thats what matters I was so surprised i thought i did hella bad this week i was expecting 0-1 lb but 3.3 WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO
Smash and goody and good weight loss

Tech~ i like that idea of having to get out the car i never thought of it that way

Tera ~ congrats on the loss

Everyone else i hope everyone has a great weekend
Old 09-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #21  

Hi all,

Smash - Welcome and congrats on your loss. The hunger will eventually go away.

Goody - Gina gave you some great advice. I would to it that you should try to get some protein in at your meals and snacks, especially if you're having carbs. It will keep you feeling full much longer.

Gina - Good for you for saying "no" to the cereal last night. So much of my eating/snacking has so little to do with hunger. I guess that the bright side of being diabetic is that it forces me to limit snacking.

Michelle - Congrats on a terrific loss.

No big plans for the weekend. One of the schools is holding their annual carnival and that's all I've been hearing about for weeks, so we'll be going tonight. I'm looking forward to an ear of grilled corn (no butter) and I'll have a hamburger as well, probably. Sunday we're going to my mom's and will most likely have dinner there. Other than that, work and housework.

Have a good one.

Carla
Old 09-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #22  
Back on Program!

Default I'm still around

Hi everyone!
WOW, there are lots of new people on the board! Welcome to you all!
This is a great place to bond and vent and get support!

Gina--I am so sorry for your loss. I think you are handling things very well considering, and I'm sending hugs your way!

Judy--you have been doing great! Wasn't it wonderful to get a high five from the doctor! I remember when I went in for my last physical, he called me "a little overweight" instead of OBESE. I just hate that word!!!!

Carla--Good for you for seeing "the bright side of being diabetic". It really does force you to eat heathier if you are committed to taking care of yourself. It's so much to get used to though, and I think you are doing a great job!

I have been around, been lurking. Those of you who know me know I have been going through lots of marital problems this year. Things came to a head while we were in MA a few weeks ago for a wedding. I had a few drinks, a man flirted with me, my husband got angry with me about it (I did not encourage the man and in fact, introduced him to my husband), and when that happened, all the feelings and emotions I have been holding in just came gushing out. He seemed to take it to heart and promised to treat me better, but a few days later his depression returned and so did his mistreatment of me (unaffectionate, distant, no interest in sex, not telling me he loves me). It's been up and down like that ever since. Right now he is good, he has actually gotten out of the house a few times besides work and I think it's been good for him. Still, he refuses to get help in the way of counseling/medication so I am not getting my hopes up that this will last. I know he has a disease, but I am finding my patience and strength leaving me. He knows this is a medical problem and refuses to get treatment. I feel that is irresponsible and selfish and cowardly. And it affects the whole family.
He is already lamenting the holidays and how will he "get through it" with his mother gone. So I have a feeling my holidays will be miserable as well, although I am going to try my best to keep them happy for my girls. Life goes on, his mother would not want all this self-pity. It's getting harder and harder for me to "hang in there" as time goes by.
Anyway, I ramble.....
As far as WW goes, I start over fresh and then DH upsets me and I fall off the wagon. I have been consistent with exercise but not with eating. I have been making bad choices. I have pretty much maintained thanks to the exercise though. I am really trying not to allow his moods to dictate my moods, but have been unsuccessful thus far! It's so hard not to take his depression personally. I don't know why. Probably because I am a "fixer" and I feel like my love and my girls should be enough to make him happy. He has the job he has always dreamed of, a nice home and a loving family. And still he is miserable. I can't stand it! And even though I am a nurse I still have a hard time attributing it to the depression and not feeling like there is something wrong with me. Oh well, I'm a lot better than I was when this all started and I will get through it. Thanks to all of you for listening!
My oldest daughter was selected as the only girl from her school to sing the Star Spangled Banner with a symphony orchestra at a field trip on the 25th.
I hope they pick me to chaperone so I can see it!! Had to toot my Mommy Horn!

Everyone have a great weekend!!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #23  

Oh Rachel, I'm so sorry to hear that your husband is on a downswing again. I understand how you are taking this personally. And of course you try to fix it - you're a nurse. Your job is to take care of people who are ill and help make them better. But you know you can't help him if he doesn't want to help himself. If you have a patient who refuses to take his medication or to do what he needs to do to get well, is that your fault? No. And this isn't either. You can't fix this. And yes, your husband is irresponsible for not getting the medical help he needs to stop his suffering. But then again, we're talking depression here and it clouds rational thinking, no? Still it does affect the whole family and he needs to do something about it. Are you in counseling yourself? It may be beneficial to help you work through this. Hang in there Rachel. I've been thinking about you and will continue to do so. On a happier note: congratulations to your daughter! That's awesome. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to chaperone!

Carla
Old 09-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #24  

Gina - I'm glad that we were hear to listen. I try to get menus and figure out points (or Core choices) too and find that it really helps me stay on track. I don't think you're being obsessive, I think you are being smart and taking control of your eating! WTG on checking whether or not you are really hungry when you feel like eating something. That's more than 1/2 the battle for me.

Carla - WTG on those great test results!!!!! I'm so proud of you for doing what you need to do to keep the diabetes in check. I think you are smart to work on following the menus that the dietician set up first and worrying about the points later. I'm sure things will end up working out well point-wise anyway. The most important thing is managing the diabetes! I find that I do much better when I have protein at breakfast too. It stays with me muh longer. I am so glad that things are going well in school with Ana and that she has been making such great progress. I'm glad that you are happy with her teacher this year! It seems that things have been working out well at this school for the last couple of years. I remember all the anxiety and worry that went into the decision. Mmmm, your easy peasy dinner sounds yummy!

Tera - Congratulatons on the great loss and welcome!

Goody - Welcome! I'm with Carla - I always have some healthy snacks with me to munch on on my way home from work. That way I'm not ravenous when I get home and I don't start reaching for whatever is closest.

Smash - Welcome and congrats on your loss. Do you have some fresh veggies on hand? No point snacks are great for helping me to not feel hungry.

Michelle - Congratulations on the loss and welcome!

Rachel - I'm also sorry to hear that your husband is on a downswing again. I couldn't have said it any better than Carla. You can only help him so far - after that, it's his responsibility. I think Carla's suggestion about counseling for yourself is a very good idea. His despression does affect the whole family and unfortunately you are left with the responsibility of taking care of the girls and helping them get through this the best they can - while you are struggling to get through it youself! Major kudos for you for sticking with the exercise. My guess is that it may help a little with the emotions a bit, no? Hang in there and know that I am thinking of you. That's fabulous news about your daughter. I hope you can chaperone too!

I ended up losing just 0.2 this past week but with the week before that makes a pound and the scale is still moving in the right direction. I decided to do another Core week - there's still some summer fruit around and I like not having to count it! It's been quite a whirlwind of a week. Thursday was a busy day. I subbed in a 2nd grade classroom and of course, said goodbye to so many people. It felt really bittersweet. Friday turned out to be an unbelievable day. I was supposed to go to Payroll and then see the Reading teachers at the new school to start going over my caseload. Instead, the Asst Super called to ask me if I was interested in exploring a 3rd grade leave replacement at another school (they were in a jam). She said that although she wanted me for the Reading position, I might be interested in the other position as well. I figured it couldn't hurt. I met with the Reading teachers at the original school (not where Payroll is) who now were trying to get me to take the Reading position (they were wonderful) as well as going to another school to meet with the Principal there about the 3rd grade spot. My head was spinning although it was nice be to wanted! It turns out that the 3rd grade spot was, for the foreseeable future, going to be a daily sub (with sub pay and I would have to list it on the resume as such) for that classroom and not a leave replacement (the original teacher who is ill has tons of sick days). The principal liked me and one other person she interviewed for the job. In the end I decided to stick with the Reading position. Tony and my friend at my old school agreed that was the right decision. So, tomorrow will be my real first day on the job. I'm a little nervous but the 2 Reading teachers were so wonderful and they will be real mentors so I feel less nervous than I did earlier last week.

Last night I guess the crazy week caught up with me. I snacked a lot - most everything was Core but I was not eating because I was hungry. Still, I wrote everything down and will try not to repeat the same thing tonight. We're bbq'ing all week (except Friday night when we'll be eating at Mom's for Rosh Hashana) so most of the week shouldn't be a challenge foodwise. Friday's dinner is another story but I'm going to try to save as many weekly points as possible for then.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 09-17-2006, 10:41 PM   #25  
Doin' it & doin' it well!

S/C/G: 170/148.4/140

Hi All! I'm new to this forum; but definately not to weight watchers. Joined Jan/Feb of this yr @ 170 lbs & went to 150 (now @ 158 after slammin' off of the bandwagon). I'm starting in the morning. I've cooked my veggies and have yogurt, fruit in the bag--- I'm ready... Started my walking last week and starting back w/ My Windsor pilates. SO nice to see another nurse on board.... Wl check in & out for support.
Closed Thread