Old 11-19-2008, 01:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/145/120

Height: 5'1

Smile New to WW

Hi everyone!

I started WW about 3 weeks ago and haven't seen much results. Are there any tips that anyone could give me?

I lost a few pounds about a week ago, but then stopped. And this past weekend, I went home to visit my family and I gained it all back! Now that I'm back at my apartment, I've been watching my points and started exercising again (1 mile run, another hour of weight lifting about 3 - 5x a week).

I look forward to losing weight.. I just need a little help! =)
maggie may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:53 AM   #2  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

i don't have a whole lot of advice, but here's a few things. make sure you calculated your daily points allowance correctly. write down every single thing you eat - be meticulous about that.

are you meeting your healthy guidelines and drinking all your water?

are you using your activities points and weekly flex points? everyone's body is different. some people find that if they don't eat enough food, their weight loss stalls because metabolism slows when the body thinks it's starving. so they have to use every AP and flex point. but others have to stay close to their daily points. the best thing i've found is to vary my points from day to day. eating more some days and less some days is supposed to stimulate your metabolism.

keep at it and don't give up! it's a long process but you can do it!
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #3  

thanks! i keep a journal of what i eat everyday and write down every single item. but i have had some problems.. like, how am i supposed to measure 4 oz of chicken? i don't have a scale or anything. also, i'm chinese so when we go out to eat (dim sum, chinese cuisine)..it's hard to find the nutritional values.

i do try to vary my points allowed everyday. i eat my regular points and then when i feel like i need some more (or when i'm at family events), i'll eat a little bit of my flex points. as for activity points -- not sure how to calculate these so i don't eat them.

thanks for the support! i'll keep everyone updated.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:09 AM   #4  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

in my WW Complete Food Companion, it lists 1/2 cup white meat chicken as the same as 2oz... so 4oz would be about 1 cup.

i used to love going out for chinese food, but i can rarely fit it in my points anymore. the problem is that most restaurants (chinese and other types) cook with a lot of oil, which adds loads of points to your food. you can't just add up the chicken, veggies, and rice. you have to account for the oil, butter, sauces and everything else. the WW Dining Out Companion is really helpful for figuring out that stuff.
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #5  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

welcome maggie to ww!
You sound like you are on the right track with the points and activities. To calculate your exercise points there is a formula that is on a 'sticky' link under weight watchers. they base it on how hard you are working out, how long and your current weight.

an example would be for a light workout:
wt x min x .000232 and light is classified like an easy walk, not sweating and you are talking

as for calculating the points and wts of food, invest in a cheap food scale they work wonders. I also do the 'wendie plan' that mixes up my points each day since I stalled so early on with straight points.

keep posting and let us know
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:14 AM   #6  

thanks! i think i'm going to try it out for another month or so and if i still don't see results, i'll probably try to make time to attend a meeting.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #7  
cher37

Maggie - here's some tips for going out for chinese food,

- ask for everything steamed rice, steamed veggies, dim sum dumplings
- nothing deep fried (egg rolls, spring rolls, chicken balls)
- chicken or beef satay w. sauce on the side
- if asking for stir-fry, ask to use chicken stock instead of oil
- have 2 Tbsp of sauces, then leave the rest
Old 11-21-2008, 01:29 AM   #8  

thanks cher!

its hard to resist because i was raised on chinese food and now that im away from home for college, i dont get it a lot so when i go back home my mom will cook up a storm! but i'll take note of the advice and ask her to substitute!