Old 10-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #1  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

Default Have I lost too little in too much time?

Hi all . . . I lurk around this forum but don't post too much. I have been doing WW at home for free (borrowed a friend's books, follow the points and use a WW cookbook) since April 16, 2007, so about 24 weeks. I have lost about 34 pounds in 24 weeks, which is an average of 1.41 pounds a week, and I have about 13 to go to get to my first big goal. When I first started WW, I wasn't exercising and I was losing about 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. I hit a wall at the end of June and finally got over it in July. Since then, I have been losing about 0.5-1.5 pounds a week. I have added in exercise about 3-4 times a week. I know that it is good to lose weight slowly because if you lose it too quickly it is unhealthy and it is more likely to be gained back.

I guess what I'm wondering about is should I be concerned that I am losing too slowly? I plan to keep going with WW until I get to my goal of 140, and will probably keep going for another 10 pounds just to be more healthy. Even though I do read a lot about how it is good to lose weight slowly, sometimes I think I am losing too slowly and I should up my efforts - i.e., more exercise, completely clean eating (I do use some of my 35 flex points every week - not all of them, but usually about 5-10 a week). Or should I just be happy with the 0.5 pounds I lose some weeks and keep up with my current routine? Most of the time I am happy when I see any lose at all, so I can usually convince myself that my routine right now is fine, but then there are times when my mind says "you should be losing more faster!!!" I want to ignore that but sometimes it's hard. Any thoughts would be great.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #2  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

Well, I'm definitely no expert, but I personally don't feel that there's any such thing as losing too slowly. Of course, maybe that's just me justifying my slow loss. I've lost 31 pounds in 39 weeks, and I'm okay with that. Yeah, I could've done better, but hey - I'm changing my lifestyle, and with everything else going on, I figure this is good enough!

I think it's hard to be patient with this. Of course we want to see results NOW! YESTERDAY! HURRY! but the reality is, you have to do what works for you. I don't think anyone could honestly say you should be losing any faster. 1.41 pounds a week is AWESOME, right in the middle of the health range of 1-2 pounds a week.

I say keep up the fantastic job you're obviously doing!
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Actually you have not been losing slowly at all. You've been losing very quickly. Much faster than the national average, and about as fast as you should try to according to the most recent weight loss research. My understanding of the "state-of-the-art" weight loss recommendations are that you should lose no more than 1/2 to 1 percent of your total body weight per week, at least after the first couple weeks (when a lot of water may come off with the fat). This means that you're losing about as fast as you really should try to.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Are you KIDDING ME???

OMG, girl, you are doing GREAT!!!! The wt. loss definitely gets painfully slow at the end, so you need to get ready for that. GREAT JOB! You can't cut too much too soon......that is the GENIUS of Weight Watchers...just brace yourself, the closer you get to goal, the slower it will go.........you are changing your lifestyle...of course you can always up the exercise.......that never hurts....please keep posting...your success spurs us all on!!!
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #5  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Losing weight is so HARD! We all know that is an understatement. I think you should continue with what you are doing now. If it gets to the point where you're not losing at all then adjust. Trying to do too much when you were doing just fine in the first place may get you in trouble. You don't want to burn yourself out.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #6  

I'm new to WW and I just wanted to add that if I have as much success as you have had, I will be thrilled! Keep up the great work and soon you will be telling us how wonderful it feels to be at goal!
Isabella1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/214/150

Height: 5'5

You are doing fantastic! Keep it up you are an inspiration!
NETZI81 is offline   Reply With Quote