WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 11:02 PM   #1  

I have used Prego Traditional Sauce & added extra garlic & other spices. Would like to try something else, any suggestions? There are so many brands of sauce it is hard to know which ones are good!! Thanks for your help. Mimosa
Old 01-31-2001, 11:10 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

How about a quick homemade sauce for zero points:

Tomato Sauce, Tomato Paste + spices to your liking (Ital. Seasoning, basil, oregano, garlic [I use minced jarred fresh garlic]). Simmer for while pasta is cooking or....

I have a good real recipe I'll post....

Old 01-31-2001, 11:24 PM   #3  
cac

I use 3 Brothers- tomatoe and basil.

cac
Old 02-01-2001, 12:27 AM   #4  

I used to buy Prego too but Paul Newman's sauce is much lower in points.
Old 02-01-2001, 01:29 AM   #5  

My current favorite is the Barilla Spicy Pepper sauce.
Old 02-01-2001, 01:31 AM   #6  

Healthy Choice, any flavor. 1/2 the points of most others.
Old 02-01-2001, 02:45 AM   #7  

CAC, isn't it FIVE Brothers? I always confuse that with a pizza chain around here which I think actually IS 3 Brothers.

Anyway, add my vote for X Brothers Tomato and Basil. Delicious! And something like 70 calories/serving as opposed to 120 for my old fave, Ragu super mushroom.

Try my recipe for "meat" sauce:
1.5 cups Tomato and Basil
1 pkg Yves veggie ground round or equivalent amount of other ground meat substitute
Garlic (I use the pre-crushed kind in a jar--a clove or two worth)
A packet of Equal (I like a sweet sauce--omit if you don't)

Heat up and enjoy. The points depend on how many servings you divide it into, because there's a lot of fiber, but I think it would be safe to call it four 2-point servings. Check my math using your own ingredients.

I've heard Classico is also good and low in points.
Old 02-01-2001, 03:42 AM   #8  

I've loved the Newman's Sockarooni (sp?) sauce for years.

Along the lines of Bumby's recipe, I recently discovered Trader Joe's Vegetarian "Bolognese". I was skeptical when I first bought it, but it has a really good kick to it, and the 'meat' gives it a good texture. Even my DH (who dislikes most meat substitutes) loved it!

Dina
Old 02-01-2001, 03:42 AM   #9  
imaleader

Hi there. Zero Points and Delicious.

1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp each dried basil, oregano (if desired)
1 large can (28 ounces) tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
1 small can (3 oz?) tomato paste (optional)
1 small can (from the t. paste) water
1 clump (your size handful, whatever you like) fresh parsley chopped
PAM

1. Spray a large saucepan w/ pam. Set on medium heat.
2. Heat pan and add onions and garlic. Saute GENTLY over low until onion is translucent. You may cover this and watch it -- it should only take about 3 minutes or so.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes, or puree and stir well. If you are using the t. paste, add it and the water now. Bring the whole thing to the boil and reduce heat. NOW add the dried herbs.
4. Let it simmer COVERED for about 1/2 hour, stirring periodically.
5. Toss in the parsley and cook another 3-5 minutes, uncovered.
6. Pour into plastic containers (qt size or two pint size) and refrigerate/freeze.
This is a versatile sauce that you can modify to suit your needs. BUT, the beauty of it is that is has zero points and is loaded with taste. Before serving, you can saute chopped or sliced mushrooms; red, green, or yellow peppers; zucchini, or whatever suits you for your needs. Additionally, you can add or omit the herbs to your liking. Purists say that oregano only belongs in pizza sauce. True. But, hey, it's all about taste. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2001, 03:44 AM   #10  
imaleader

Hi there. Zero Points and Delicious.

1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp each dried basil, oregano (if desired)
1 large can (28 ounces) tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
1 small can (3 oz?) tomato paste (optional)
1 small can (from the t. paste) water
1 clump (your size handful, whatever you like) fresh parsley chopped
PAM

1. Spray a large saucepan w/ pam. Set on medium heat.
2. Heat pan and add onions and garlic. Saute GENTLY over low until onion is translucent. You may cover this and watch it -- it should only take about 3 minutes or so.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes, or puree and stir well. If you are using the t. paste, add it and the water now. Bring the whole thing to the boil and reduce heat. NOW add the dried herbs.
4. Let it simmer COVERED for about 1/2 hour, stirring periodically.
5. Toss in the parsley and cook another 3-5 minutes, uncovered.
6. Pour into plastic containers (qt size or two pint size) and refrigerate/freeze.
This is a versatile sauce that you can modify to suit your needs. BUT, the beauty of it is that is has zero points and is loaded with taste. Before serving, you can saute chopped or sliced mushrooms; red, green, or yellow peppers; zucchini, or whatever suits you for your needs. Additionally, you can add or omit the herbs to your liking. Purists say that oregano only belongs in pizza sauce. True. But, hey, it's all about taste. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2001, 07:20 AM   #11  

Thanks for all your responses. I will try
some that were suggested. I like the Prego
but want to try something lower in points.

Ziner, you mentioned Trader Vic's. I wish there was one close to where we live. A
friend of mine would bring back different pastas from Trader Vic's when she would go to California. Everything was always so good!

Mimosa
Old 02-01-2001, 10:15 AM   #12  

When I don't have five minutes, I use Colavita marinara.

We're pretty Italian, so usually I make my mother-in-law's marinara -- delicious, easy, cheap, fast, very forgiving and 0 to 1 points depending on your method:

l large can Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes
1 can Hunts tomato sauce
dried basil
dried oregano
1 clove minced real garlic and 2 tsp oil -or- dried minced garlic and no oil

Heat oil in large non-stick skillet and add garlic. Cook until golden (not brown) and add tomatoes. Stirring occassionally, heat for about 5 minutes and add basil and oregano. Heat another 5 minutes or so and serve.

For a zero-point sauce, omit garlic and oil in beginning and just add dried garlic with basil and oregano.

Now, have you tried spaghetti squash....?
Old 02-01-2001, 08:08 PM   #13  

I also make a sauce very similar to imaleader's. Except the proportions I use on the tomatoes are 1 28-oz. can each of crushed tomatoes and tomato puree and one small can (I believe they're 6 oz.) of tomato paste.

Sometimes instead of cutting and sauteeing an onion, I'll use dried minced onion. Also, if I plan ahead to make the sauce, I'll use fresh basil instead and just add it at the end, as she does the parsley.

Dina
Old 02-01-2001, 10:26 PM   #14  

If you are not making your own, the jar brands I like are: Barilla Puttanesca, and then any other Barilla, Newman's, and Prego.

------------------
Ginaki
195/155/150/145
Old 02-02-2001, 06:17 AM   #15  

Thanks for more sauce suggestions. It has been a long time since I have made my own, just got into the habit of picking up the jar at the store.
HospitalWriter, I also have an Italian MIL
who is NOT a good cook, actually she does not like to cook. In 24 years I have never tasted any spaghetti sauce that she has made.

We love spaghetti squash..I cook baby portabello mushrooms, onions, and garlic in a little Pam Olive Oil, put in on the squash with parmesan cheese....good dinner. Sometimes I use the spaghetti sauce but usually no sauce.
Closed Thread