WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 04:37 PM   #1  

Question

I've heard spaghettie squash listed quite often in various posts on various message boards and have no idea what it is. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!!!
Old 04-21-2001, 07:24 PM   #2  

Default Spaghetti Squash

It is a squash, but the texture is different from any squash I've ever had. After it's cooked, you pull a fork through it and it separates into long pieces that look like spaghetti noodles. Then you can put pasta sauce over the top of it.

I haven't tried it yet, but it has a lot of fans out there because it's zero points.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:32 AM   #3  
Hip Highland Chick

Spaghetti squash is one of my favorites! It's aptly named, because as LondonGirl described it separates after it's cooked into strings that look alot like spaghetti.

I use spag squash alot and think it has a sort of a sweet taste (YUM). To cook one, I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, spray the inside of the halves with cooking spray and bake them face down in a baking dish for about 1/2 hour. The time varies depending on the size of the squash.

I usually just eat it with a little ICBINB spray! Another thing that's pretty delicious on it is Helman's Citrus Splash dressing. It adds a point value, but it's worth it.

Give it a try --- after all, it's a ZERO point veggie - can't hurt to try it.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:32 AM   #4  
Hip Highland Chick

Spaghetti squash is one of my favorites! It's aptly named, because as dmarkey described it separates after it's cooked into strings that look alot like spaghetti.

I use spag squash alot and think it has a sort of a sweet taste (YUM). To cook one, I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, spray the inside of the halves with cooking spray and bake them face down in a baking dish for about 1/2 hour. The time varies depending on the size of the squash.

I usually just eat it with a little ICBINB spray! Another thing that's pretty delicious on it is Helman's Citrus Splash dressing. It adds a point value, but it's worth it.

Give it a try --- after all, it's a ZERO point veggie - can't hurt to try it.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:45 AM   #5  

Marysunshine,
You're stuttering!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2001, 01:15 PM   #6  

Here's info from www.epicurious.com 's food dictionary:

Also called vegetable spaghetti , this
creamy-yellow, watermelon-shaped winter squash was so named because of its flesh, which, when cooked, separates into yellow-gold saghettilike strands. Averaging from 4 to 8 pounds, spaghetti squash are available year-round with a peak season from early fall through winter. Choose squash that are hard and smooth with an even pale yellow color. Avoid greenish squash (a sign of immaturity) and those with bruised or damaged spots. Store uncut spaghetti
squash at room temperature for up to 3 weeks. After the whole squash is baked, the rather bland-tasting strands can be removed from the shell and served with sauce, like pasta. They can also be served as partof a casserole or cold as a salad ingredient.

I think spaghetti squash is the only winter squash that is 0 points - yellow and zucchini squash (summer squash) are also 0 points.

It makes a good subsitute for a starch on the dinner plate - either with a bit of margarine or olive oil or as a pasta with sauce. I like to saute zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms and garlic and serve it over cooked spaghetti squash.
Old 04-22-2001, 04:20 PM   #7  

Default Spaghetti Squash

The speghetti squash skin/shell before cooking is very very hard. Use a sharp knife to cut it in half length wise but be careful not to cut yourself.
Closed Thread