WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2001, 12:52 AM   #1  

Has anyone tried the Atkins Advantage Bars? How do they compare to the Kashi GoLean bars, taset and point-wise? How about price? There was a coupon in the Sunday paper recently and I'm wondering if they are worth trying. Thanks for you help.
K
Old 04-13-2001, 09:24 PM   #2  

Atkins bars cost >$2, and taste so gross I threw mine in the trash after one bite. Honest. Also, the points are high.
Old 04-13-2001, 10:09 PM   #3  

Gosh, Bumby--don't hold back--what did you "really" think!!! LOL, seriously though, thanks for the evaluation. Even if they are free w/coupon, if they are yucky its too much.
k, who will stick w/Kashi
Old 04-14-2001, 03:20 AM   #4  

I buy a variety of protien bars, for a number of reasons. Some days, I need more protein grams than other days to fill in my daily needs. I shot for 60 protein grams a day . So depending on what my other meals contain, I choose my protein bar accordingly.

I did buy a few Atkins Advantage Bars, they were on sale and I wanted to try everything out there. In fact, I just had one yesterday. The Pralain Crunch. Sure sounded good. Was I surprised when I took off the wrapper and saw the unapplealing yellowish color. Gee Whiz!. Not even chocolate coated! It was okay. But nothing I'd buy again.

There are so many brands of high protein nutrition food bars out there. All with a different point value, different amount of protein and so many different flavors.

When I buy a a protein bar, I want two things. Lots of protein and lots of calcium. Kashi has enough protein, but no calcium what so ever. That's not a bargain for me. So that's the one that's off my list. I have tried them. Their no better tasting that a nice chocolate power bar that has both calcium and protein. Metr-x puts out some real good one's. They have a thick, smaller one- called Source One- Devils Food Cake,- that's only 3 points. And it has 15 protein grams and 60% calcium. MetrX also has a 5 point big thick one - Bavarian Chocolate Mint- that's 34 protein grams and 60% calcium. That's a deal!
Old 04-14-2001, 10:18 PM   #5  

Sorry to be so terse--to amplify: I, like Garfield, have tried a lot of these bars. I tried the low-carb thing (combined with WW) for about 6-8 months and discovered several bars I found palatable and several I did not. The Premier 8 bar was particularly tasty, and I also liked the Pure Protein bar, as well as a chocolate-coated chocolate chip "cookie" by the same company. I found the Atkins bar stood out for exorbitant price and horrible taste. Interestingly, after returning to a less carb-restricted pattern of eating, I tasted one of my leftover Premier 8 bars--a real favorite--and found it inedible. Tastes change. A new bar on the market, Carb Smart, was being sampled in the supermarket a week or so back and I discovered that one wasn't half bad, even in my carb-eating state. However, if you aren't seeking to limit carbs, there are lots of other, much better tasting nutrition bars--Clif, Balance, Luna, etc--all about 4 points. Also, if you are trying to limit carbs, recall that the labeling of these products is misleading. They don't count glycerol in the carb count--it's the major sweetener they use.
Old 04-15-2001, 02:33 AM   #6  

Oh--I didn't think you were being terse! Iappreciated your opinion :-)
And Garfield, your's as well. There is such an abundance of "health" bars on the market right now it is difficult to pick and choose, so any and all info/opinions is really helpful.
K
Closed Thread