WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 03:56 PM   #1  

Question

This may seem like a strange question, and I've seen the answer somewhere before, but do any of you know what the capacity of an average stomach is - in cups? i.e. how much food does it take to "fill it up"?
It seems like I had seen something like 1-1/2 cups?

I think knowing this for sure might help me keep from overeating - i.e. too much quantity - of things like free veggies, etc.

Thanks for any insight ----

Helen
Old 03-22-2001, 04:38 PM   #2  
Meg

Helen -- I don't have a scientific answer to your question, but ... (trying to think of a delicate way to put this) ... from personal experience with food poisoning last week, it is MUCH more than 1 1/2 cups. I was truly astounded at my stomach's holding capacity. I do believe that it can shrink over time, however. Hope you get a scientific answer to an interesting question!
Old 03-23-2001, 08:01 PM   #3  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Make your hand into a tight fist.......that's the size of an average adult stomach. A lot smaller than I had ever dreamed of!!!!!!

I've used this visual aid lots of time to determine if I'm full or not, you know, when you don't want to feel stuffed, yet are still hungry?

~Jen
Closed Thread