WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 08:20 AM   #1  

Hi all ~ I need some help! I'd like ideas on easy, yet elegant desserts that are low in points. I'm the "dessert person" for a potluck this weekend. I'm kinda new at WW, so I don't know a lot of great low-point yummies yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-28-2001, 08:37 AM   #2  

I have a few suggestions though you'll have to figure out the points. How about a trifle with the lite cherry pie cherries in a can, cool whip (either lite or non-fat) and sliced up angel food cake. You'd continue to layer all three items in a tall glass trifle dish with either cherries or cool wip on top.
Or...the same angel food cake layered with sugar free fat free chocolate pudding and cool whip.
Or..bananas, cool whip, angel food layered
Or...the angel food box cake made with the crushed pineapple or cherries in a can
Or...no pudge brownies..everyone likes those
Hope these help!
sun
Old 02-28-2001, 06:11 PM   #3  

How about baked apples? Take a macintosh apple, core it, mix together some brown sugar and cinnamon. Put the mixture in the hole in the apple and top with a tsp of low fat margarine and bake for about 30 minutes.
Old 02-28-2001, 08:30 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Jump down to the dessert section I'll pull up the pineapple angelfood cake recipe.
Old 02-28-2001, 08:42 PM   #5  

This is somewhat less "elegant" than a trifle (that sounds good!), but I've had good results using "lightened up" quick bread mixes. I substitute applesauce for oil and egg beaters for eggs, then bake in a bundt-shaped pan (mine is not exactly a bundt pan) for more "eye appeal." I mix up a confectioner's sugar/milk (or water) glaze (with vanilla or almond extract) and drizzle over the top. People seem to find these much more appealing than when I bake the same thing in a loaf pan! I use 1/2 cup applesauce, even though the mix calls for less than a 1/2 cup of oil, because I use those little lunch-box tubs and that's how much is in them. Seems to turn out fine.
Old 02-28-2001, 09:26 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone. These are all great ideas and I really appreciate all your suggestions. I'll let you know what I end up making and any rave reviews I get from the dessert!
Old 03-02-2001, 02:42 AM   #7  

OOOOOOH my goodness........ Love this treat. Take one Low Fat Graham cracker split in half the add 2 TLBS of FF Cool Whip to one half and top with other half. I put 2 crackers in a snack size zip lock. and freeze..... OHHHHHHHH how great this is. I love it. Have two boys 13 and 11 and they would eat them all day if I let them.

------------------
TTFN J :^)
Old 03-07-2001, 12:55 PM   #8  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

When I want a REALLY elegant dessert I turn to "Chocolate and the Art of Lowfat Desserts" by Alice Medrich. There are a whole variety of dessserts in this cookbook. She's a professional pastry chef and she took on a challenge to make desserts for a hospital. None of the desserts was to have more than 30% calories from fat. Her chef friends took the easy way out and suggested she just substitute sugar for fat. She nixed that idea because it didn't give her the results she was looking for. She wanted low fat desserts that tasted like regular desserts. And boy did she succeed. Some of them are pretty complicated and would be great for a really special occassion. But many of them, like the brownies and the souffle cake, are simple to make and perfect for pot lucks. I defy anyone who doesn't know they're low fat to tell the difference! The best part of the cookbook is the basic recipes at the end. She has a lowfat whipped cream topping that tastes a whole lot better than the fake stuff and it's only a couple of points per serving. You can use these basic recipes to create your own low fat desserts, if you're the type who likes to get into the kitchen and create.

Lin
Old 03-21-2001, 11:32 AM   #9  

Pulling up
Closed Thread