WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 11:11 AM   #1  

Default Zatarain's rice mix query

Maybe someone can help. I'm trying to figure out how many points are in a serving of Zatarain's yellow rice mix. According to my WW book (and when I compute the points specific to the package) it's 3 points. But, it's unclear to me if the nutritional info. offered includes the butter/oil that you add. The WW book says "Jambalaya mix" or "Gumbo mix." So it seems to me that you still have to add in the points for the butter, right? The nutritional info on the package is confusing, too. It says "prepared" but gives a fat content of 0 grams. According to my calculations, if you add the butter/oil per the directions, each serving should have about 3.5 grams of fat.

Anyway, I'm confused and wondering if anyone else has figured this out. Oh, and please don't bother suggesting that I leave the butter/oil out--not going to happen my friends! I just want to be sure that I'm recording my points accurately.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2003, 11:25 AM   #2  
si, si signora

alot of those fine mixes give you the nutritional information for the mix alone and not as prepared. For example, thai kitchen's pad thai recipe gives you the ni for just the rice noodles and the sauce, the oil and accroutements boost up the points value considerably.

Mixes such as rice a roni, will often give you the ni for the mix alone and give you the ni for the mix as prepared.

caveat emptor.

lala
Old 01-15-2003, 03:33 PM   #3  
Lover of Ho-Hos

Hi Nancy!

Another coincidence? I just ate that stuff last night. I LOVE Zatarains and so does my daughter. I have no clue about the pointage, not doing WW, but it seems there is one point per 50 cals (all my work buddies are doing WW and I've hence started helping them figure stuff too). I think rice prepared, one serving, is probably 3-4 points. Rice isn't cheap point-wise, but not too bad nutritious and filling (and yummy) wise. So I think you got it guessed right, in my opinion. Who woulda thunk eating healthy was such a mathematical struggle?? Blagh!

Love ya!
Old 01-15-2003, 03:48 PM   #4  

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up guesstimating it at about 5 points--3 for the rice mix and 2 more for the butter. Interestingly, a regular serving of rice is considered to be 1 cup at 4 points. Zatarain's gives the nutritional info based on 1/2-cup servings. It's a good things we had plenty of other things to eat--I have to highly recommend the slow-cooked garlic chicken that I found on this website (I don't remember the exact name of it). Very good and my 2-year-old loved it too (always a plus). And, I filled up on my new favorite finger food--grape tomatoes. Perfect for winter when you can't find a good tomato to save your life.

Thanks again!
Closed Thread