WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #1  

Default Anyone on here switched from Atkins?

I am currently on atkins and am very unhappy at the moment with it. I am considering going back to WW. I have lost in the past on the points system and loved it. Are there any other members on here who have switched from Atkins to WW? If so, what experience did you have at first? Did you just go off atkins and eat normal diet for a week or so or go straight to WW? Any advice appreciated.
Lovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Atkins is not my friend

I have tried pretty much every single diet. Atkins was my biggest disaster...WW was WONDERFUL, but just a bit expensive, but the support and realistic goals were great. Some people really love Atkins, it's just not for me because I felt really drained, irritable, and it made my skin break out. I prefer feeling healthy. When I went off Atkins I gained back ALL the weight and then some (not sure if that is typical or not). I didn't go from Atkins to WW, but I think it would be a good idea to consult with the people at WW about moving off Atkins and what their recommendations are. Hang in there !
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #3  
Christie

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

oooohhh...I've done Atkins. Did ok with it and when I stopped gained ALOT back. And what's more is that I was so crabby. I'm doing Metabolic Research Center now and I love it! It's not cheap, but neither is being fat in the long run!
readytobethinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #4  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

I went from Atkins to WW. It was about a year and a half ago. Atkins was hard for me because I felt very deprived and restricted. I went off Atkins for about a month and then went to WW. I gained some weight back...not all of it. I lost about 35lbs on Atkins. I only stayed on WW for 6 months and lost about 10lbs total. I have to say I wasn't fully dedicated to WW and I was not doing it the healthy way. I would barely eat during the day and save my points to eat JUNK! Like fast food, pizza....whatever I wanted. Not good.

I am now doing the South Beach Diet and I really like it a lot. I don't feel deprived like I did on Atkins and I feel I am eating healthier than when I was doing WW. My opinion of course. I hope you find what works for you!
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemylife View Post
I am currently on atkins and am very unhappy at the moment with it.
I'm just curious as to what it is with Atkins you are unhappy with
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #6  

I'm tired of not being able to eat more fruits, not being able to drink a cup of milk, or being so conscious of every carb in food I eat. I have done WW in past and could eat anything as long as I accounted for it in my points. I have also never had stalls like I have with Atkins. I am currently going on over a month with no loss (inches or pounds) at all. HMMMMM, just over it. My hubby and I are actually doing a cheat day today (not hog wild, just eating normal meals) where we eat what we want to try to give this a boost as I have read that some do this and it jumpstarts them once back on induction. I will go back on atkins, but if I have not lost by my birthday, will go to WW. I strictly follow atkins induction by the way, no cheating other than as stated. I had cheat days during the holidays so I didn't tempt myself to cheat all through the holidays, but otherwise I am very disciplined and don't eat it if I don't know the carb count and never go over 20/day.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemylife View Post
I strictly follow atkins induction by the way, no cheating other than as stated.
and never go over 20/day.
May I ask how long you've been doing Atkins Induction?

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-07-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #8  

Since April of 2007. I cheated a few days around Thanksgiving and Christmas, as this was the only way I would stay on my plan with all the goodies around. I was able to maintain my weight loss through the holidays which I was happy and didn't care that I didn't lose any as I wasn't expecting to with the cheats. However, since the Christmas cheat, I have not lost any at all and I am very diligent about eating only on plan.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

If you want my honest opinion, you've been on Induction too long. Have you added any other foods...or...are you strictly just sticking with the acceptable foods list? Would you mind posting a sample menu?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 248/?/150

Height: 5'4"

I've not done Atkins since the 70's when it first came out. I'm currently doing South Beach and you should get ahold of the SB book and read when Dr. Agatston says about Atkins. In the long run I don't think it's terribly healthy actually. You may be able to lose the weight but long-term on it isn't good for your arteries and heart.
WW is a good plan as well....other than SB that is.
frustratedieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedieter View Post
I've not done Atkins since the 70's when it first came out. I'm currently doing South Beach and you should get ahold of the SB book and read when Dr. Agatston says about Atkins. In the long run I don't think it's terribly healthy actually. You may be able to lose the weight but long-term on it isn't good for your arteries and heart.
A lot has changed about Atkins since it first came out in the 70's. When done correctly, the Atkins lifestyle is very healthy. Unfortunately, the majority of people that decide they are going to "do Atkins" never take the time to read the book at all. They rely on the Atkins website or on others that have supposedly "done Atkins"....who most likely did not bother reading the book either. Doing Atkins correctly means eating lean meats, plenty of vegetables & salads, fruits and yes, even whole grains. Contrary to popular misconception, it is not about sitting & eating lbs. of bacon, red meat & butter all day.

I'm almost 47 years old, I've been on Atkins for almost 4 years...I've lost over 100 lbs and have kept it off and I'm in better shape & health now than I have ever been in my entire life

I read something very interesting on another board from a member who attended a conference last year in NYC where Dr. Agatston was the speaker and how he admitted to eating a "paleo diet". I found this quite interesting that he isn't even following his own diet!

My recommendation to anyone considering the Atkins way of eating....BEFORE you begin, read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and Gary Taubes Good Calories, Bad Calories for a complete understanding of how & why low carb works and is a healthy lifestyle.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-10-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #12  

I have read Atkins book several times. I actually keep it at my bedside for reference. Jerseygrl, in your previous posts I have read, you say you have stayed on induction still with carbs 20 or less, well you cant eat grains and fruit on that and as others have found, whenever I go over 20, I don't lose any for the whole week and even recently I have not lost any being less than 20. I do eat lean meats, eggs, love salads, brocolli, spinach and greens. I still have a ways to go to goal and am missing fruit way too much. At least on WW, I can make a big salad with greens, cantaloupe, strawberries and nectarines and grilled chicken and feel like I have not been deprived of anything.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Lovemylife,

I've kept my carbs fairly low, usually no more than 35 a day. To clarify, when I say "Induction level carbs"....I do not mean strictly Induction foods. I've added different foods over time. For instance, I eat yogurt everyday for breakfast with a hard boiled egg & sausage. I also eat nuts (occasionally). I am not much of a fruit lover (never have been) but, in the Summer, when in season, I do enjoy blueberries. I occasionally will have a starchier veggie like carrots or acorn squash. As far as grains are concerned, to be honest, I am not a lover of oatmeal, bran, soy or barley so, I've pretty much stayed away from all of those things.

Staying at 20 carbs per day or going below 20 can actually stall your weight loss (starvation mode)...odd as that may sound. Dr. Atkins designed OWL for a reason. If you follow the plan as written, going up the carb ladder rung by rung, you won't feel deprived.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you much success!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-12-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/266.8/140

Height: 5'7"

I came from Atkins. Well... really it was more like I was on Atkins... lost 80 pounds FOLLOWED THE PLAN EXACTLY climbing the carb ladder and ended up falling off the wagon because ALL THE FOODS I LOVE WERE BIG NO NO's. I don't care what anyone says, I LOVE POTATOES. And I like having them at every meal. And I do, now. And I lose weight. Slowly. But I lose weight.

It was very hard to get out of the mindset of eating 'low carb' and higher fat. But I did and I'm much much happier. I did Atkins for a year. Now I'm on a plan that works for ME and doesn't make me lust after potatoes and bread. Or anything for that matter. If I want something badly enough, I make room for it in my balanced diet and enjoy it.

Hope this helps.
tormentated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 280/266.8/140

Height: 5'7"

PS - Atkins works, and Atkins works WELL. But I too was unhappy because it simply was not a way of life for me that made me happy. I stressed too much constantly about carbs, feeding my family was a real challenge and frankly I hated watching other people eat foods that I love wishing that I could too.

Now I just do things in moderation.

Just remember that different things work for different people. Don't let anything that I, or any other posters, say make your decision for you. You have to make choices in your life that are based on what makes YOU happy and what works for YOU, not anyone else.
tormentated is offline   Reply With Quote